ADVERTISEMENT

Pre-season preseason record prediction

I’m not worried about UNC . It’s always a dog fight . I will say this though . If Dukes bench can just score then they need to worry about us . I think our last couple of games are bench scoring has been way down compared to theirs .

Agreed shey. Hopefully Withers is still there to brick 3s at the most convenient times and hopefully Hubert will sit Cadeau and Trimble in the 2nd half of close games again like he did against Alabama.

Reactions: sheyduke
If the transfers are as good and tough as I hope they will be we have a good shot at a deep run. Isn't the Stanford kid 6-9 maybe he could help out occasionally like Bates Jones did.

Reactions: bullcity gamer
If the transfers are as good and tough as I hope they will be we have a good shot at a deep run. Isn't the Stanford kid 6-9 maybe he could help out occasionally like Bates Jones did.

Chris, I will be honest I forgot about the Stanford player. Reading Knup is getting a lot of praise. Quinn Cook said an NBA player was at practice and said “Knup is a Top 5 pick right now”. Some of the comments have been Knup can shoot the rock and is a heady play maker.

I heard top 15 but top 5 would be great. Looks like Kon is our 3. Evans may get lost in the shuffle, especially if Harris is a good shooter.
I don’t think Evan’s will get lost . We say this every year but I really do believe Scheyer has no choice but to keep the rotation at nine . Now I’m not saying all nine play major minutes but I am saying there can only be five starters. If Knup starts then Evans, Foster , Sion, Harris and Mason can all help off the bench .

Last edited:
I don’t think Evan’s will get lost . We say this every year but I really do believe Scheyer has no choice but to keep the rotation at nine . Now I’m not saying all nine play major minutes but I am saying there can only be five starters. If Knup starts then Evans, Foster , Zion, Harris and Mason can all help off the bench .
If Zion is coming off the bench we will be unstoppable.

Wow that was quick. Harris and Evans are going to go off, sending our minutes debate into chaos. Maybe I'm old, but I could care less how our guys dance or sing or whatever they do pregame. Wake me when the game starts. Will be interesting to see Mal vs. Brown down low.
Hearing Brown is way ahead of Mal, probably expected early on. Kon looking very good. Sion a poor FT shooter but good, physical defender. . Proctor looking a little passive. Evans playing well. Heard Gillis played great D on Kon in half 2.

Last edited:
Foster dominated the second half. Blue won 54-41 out scoring white 37-21 second half. Foster finished with 16 and Evans had 15. Kon didn’t do much second half once he switched to the White team, don’t think he scored. Weird because he had 8 the first half on the Blue team.

Reactions: christophero
I like Brown and mal splitting time 50/50 at the 5. I think Brown is being undervalued. He's only played 2 years. Evans is instant offense. Gillis and Sion's D will get them minutes, they are perfect 20 minute guys.

Reactions: dukecorey
Kon will play 20 minutes, but Gillis locked him up. He's good, but maybe the hype was a little ahead of itself. Proctor will be coming off the bench if he doesn't start hitting shots. Sion, Harris and Evans all look hungry for minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: dukecorey
Kon will play 20 minutes, but Gillis locked him up. He's good, but maybe the hype was a little ahead of itself. Proctor will be coming off the bench if he doesn't start hitting shots. Sion, Harris and Evans all look hungry for minutes.
Seriously . I don’t see nothing but a scrimmage or show outside of the defensive out put .
IMO. No way Proctor, Flag , Man Man and brown don’t start . Who’s the fifth starter remains to be scene . More will be learned on the 27 but nothing is locked in .

Listening to the Duke Basketball Report podcast of CTC.
They are really high on Cooper, Kon and Foster.
I'm not sure mal and Brown both start. With Pat out; who is the backup?
They are divided on if Proctor or Foster is the PG.
They pointed out the strong transfers are EXACTLY what we have lacked the last 2 years.
My way too early take: start Proctor, Foster, Kon, Cooper and Brown. Sub Sion, Mal and Sion. If the early D suffers flip Sion and Gillis. Jon has mentioned he does not want to get in a hole early so those starters better D up.
And yes Shey; we are locked into the exact rotation and minutes after CTC. :)

Last edited:
Listening to the Duke Basketball Report podcast of CTC.
They are really high on Cooper, Kon and Foster.
I'm not sure mal and Brown both start. With Pat out; who is the backup?
They are divided on if Proctor or Foster is the PG.
They pointed out the strong transfers are EXACTLY what we have lacked the last 2 years.
My way too early take: start Proctor, Foster, Kon, Cooper and Brown. Sub Sion, Mal and Sion. If the early D suffers flip Sion and Gillis. Jon has mentioned he does not want to get in a hole early so those starters better D up.
And yes Shey; we are locked into the exact rotation and minutes after CTC. :)
My only thought after this scrimmage is Kon looks comfortable shooting but I want to see him against ASU. Real competition not a scrimmage. Proctor is the starting pg. I think Foster is first off bench and you role one of Kon or Evans at the two. I give Mal the edge to start so he can adjust. Now Brown can always slide in there with Gillis at the four should Mal get into early foul trouble but keeping Brown from starting given his length on defense will be hard . That front court of Mal, Brown and Flag is like a two way punch .

I think Gillis will primarily be play the 4 with this group. Brown and Mal are our only 5's, so I doubt they both start and I see them basically splitting minutes. Gillis will get minutes when Cooper sits or shifts to the 3 for a few minutes. I am also a bit worried about not having a back to the basket scorer, but it's way too early to say.

I think Gillis will primarily be play the 4 with this group. Brown and Mal are our only 5's, so I doubt they both start and I see them basically splitting minutes. Gillis will get minutes when Cooper sits or shifts to the 3 for a few minutes. I am also a bit worried about not having a back to the basket scorer, but it's way too early to say.
Cooper at the four is a waist of this year . He’s not a four and he’s said he’s not . Him playing a couple of minutes at the four is fine . He’s a small forward . I really think this team is not ideal for position less basketball. You have two legit pg’s , two legit combo’s , three players that can play the sg/sf spot , four true sf’s , one stretch four if needed and one natural pf in brown . Two centers in Pat and Mal.
If you watched the Lively/Mal footage you see Lively showing Mal how to score in the post with his back to the basket .
This team is built for uptempo , lob threats , kick out to shooters and drivers .

There's not many big, strong, post playing 4's anymore. I'd be very surprised if the majority of Coopers minutes aren't with three other perimeter players. And it absolutely won't be a wasted year at all. That will be the type of team that can really run.

Guys like Sion or even Kon could slide over to guard a stronger player on the defensive end. I just don't see Brown and Mal playing huge minutes together on the court.

The Blue Devils have 10 guys who will be competing for minutes, 11 if/when Big Pat returns from injury. Imo I think this is what the lineups will look like on November 4th:

Starters:

Proctor
Foster
Flagg
Gillis
Brown

Bench:

James
Harris
Evans
Knuppel
Maluach

According to Duke Basketball Report, the starting line up in practice today was Proctor, Foster, Kon, Coop and Mal. Next 2 in were Sion and Brown. If Sion shoots at a decent clip this year he will have a big year. He does so many other things well, and is that physical defender we have been clamoring for.

Reactions: bullcity gamer
There's not many big, strong, post playing 4's anymore. I'd be very surprised if the majority of Coopers minutes aren't with three other perimeter players. And it absolutely won't be a wasted year at all. That will be the type of team that can really run.

Guys like Sion or even Kon could slide over to guard a stronger player on the defensive end. I just don't see Brown and Mal playing huge minutes together on the court.
Then it will be a waisted year at Duke . Flag is a strong sf . Why go after Mal or Brown if you already had Flag to play the four ? Mal is still learning and Brown is a strong pf since playing at the five at Syracuse . I just don’t see how Scheyer sold brown coming off the bench when he would have started at Syracuse and I don’t see how you got Mal to come to Duke to come off the bench when he had blue blood offers even if dang was in his ear and Zion is who he followed .
Kon was getting blew by at CTC so what sf is he guarding ? Especially one with college experience? We will see how they play against ASU but I do not see Flag logging alot a minutes at pf and I really don’t see you getting an all ACC defender to come to Duke telling him he’s coming off the bench and Man Man had two other good front court players to come off the bench for at Kansas and UCLA if that was his plan to come off the bench .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT