ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Cam Reddish.

Would you be happy if he returned for a sophomore season?

• Total voters
.300 average in baseball....

OFC

I'm not sure what one has to do with the other, so I'll take it you don't think K has failed to achieve excellence throughout 70 percent of his Duke tenure.

As a side note, despite the whole joke about failing 70 percent of the time gets you in baseball's Hall of Fame, I found 35 retired guys with career averages over .310 who aren't in the Hall.

Expectations should change when the situation that led to those very same Expectations in the first place changed. You can't have the same results with different rules. College football players can't leave until after their junior year or 3 years after high school graduation.

I doubt we will ever see another team go 5 years in a row to the final four. Longevity and continuity, in reference to players sticking around, means a lot regardless of how much talent you bring in. Duke has and always will recruit some of the best players coming out of highschool. Been that way as long as I remember. Those same players no longer have to stay long before earning a living for themselves. So with that, yes my expectations are the same, because I'm a diehard fan, but I've adjusted my reality to know it's no longer like it use to be. No organization is going to run as good as it use to with a constant turnover rate. I'm thankful that every year for the most part, we are in consideration and not a lock for the dang NIT.

I'm not sure what one has to do with the other, so I'll take it you don't think K has failed to achieve excellence throughout 70 percent of his Duke tenure.

As a side note, despite the whole joke about failing 70 percent of the time gets you in baseball's Hall of Fame, I found 35 retired guys with career averages over .310 who aren't in the Hall.

Jtre whatever....I am only talking expectations....Everybody has their opinion, and for the record I wish we could have K forever!

Btw, good baseball stat and research on your part! Kudos!

OFC

Am I guessing correctly when I say the argument at the moment is expectation vs. disappointment?

I only ask because I get the frustration of disappointment. If you ask the team if they were disappointed they lost, they’d say yes with some words @krzyzewskiville wouldn't let us use. The team themselves might even say they failed. That’s on them if they want to motivate themselves because they put in the work. They spent the time and energy.

For us as fans to be frustrated, no big deal. No gripe whatsoever. That’s our fortune for being fans of this great program. You get to be lucky enough to be disappointed in Elite Eight appearances. Hell, even UNC and Kentucky had to sit through NIT early exits fairly recently. We haven’t even had to think about that.

But, for us as fans to deem these kids “failures” and for example, to devote a poll to whether we should be happy if one of those kids came back...that’s the part that screams entitlement. I would just find it difficult within myself, someone who’s investment in this team has been a couple of hours on a message board, to deem anything they do a failure, let alone “expect” they perform for me in a manner that I determine to be satisfactory.

That’s just wild to me. I even give the media a pass because it’s their job. But us? Hmmmm...

Am I guessing correctly when I say the argument at the moment is expectation vs. disappointment?

I only ask because I get the frustration of disappointment. If you ask the team if they were disappointed they lost, they’d say yes with some words @krzyzewskiville wouldn't let us use. The team themselves might even say they failed. That’s on them if they want to motivate themselves because they put in the work. They spent the time and energy.

For us as fans to be frustrated, no big deal. No gripe whatsoever. That’s our fortune for being fans of this great program. You get to be lucky enough to be disappointed in Elite Eight appearances. Hell, even UNC and Kentucky had to sit through NIT early exits fairly recently. We haven’t even had to think about that.

But, for us as fans to deem these kids “failures” and for example, to devote a poll to whether we should be happy if one of those kids came back...that’s the part that screams entitlement. I would just find it difficult within myself, someone who’s investment in this team has been a couple of hours on a message board, to deem anything they do a failure, let alone “expect” they perform for me in a manner that I determine to be satisfactory.

That’s just wild to me. I even give the media a pass because it’s their job. But us? Hmmmm...
Freaking awesome.

Reactions: dukehokie
After what that goon said to you I give you a pass. I’ve seen a lot of crap on here but honestly that was the worst thing I’ve seen

I actually thought there would be more pics in that thread, haha.

Reactions: pisgah101
Sophomore Cam would be amazing...but not happening.

Heard some talk about how surprised K was pre-game VT that he couldn’t play. Other then that I’ve heard zero questions about him.

Definitely a kid who could potentially take a big jump in school but hard to pass up the money

Reactions: dukehokie
Best I’ve ever seen even though we lost

My family had season tickets for Twins going back to Met Stadium and then for about 15 years in that dump called The Metrodome. I was at game one and game seven in '91, and game one and game six in '87. Those Twins teams were like idols to me growing up.

Reactions: DukefanKY
To me outside of the hype and elite talent, the thing that makes our tournament outcome so disappointing is the fact that we VERY EASILY could have gone home in the second round. We got outplayed and we got lucky against a team we should have beaten by double digits.

It was pretty clear after that loss that we weren't winning a title. I'm more disappointed with the way we played rather than not getting to the final four.

Reactions: jojozbludevilz
My family had season tickets for Twins going back to Met Stadium and then for about 15 years in that dump called The Metrodome. I was at game one and game seven in '91, and game one and game six in '87. Those Twins teams were like idols to me growing up.

Man, I know you remember this play, the difference in emotion that you and I both had....wow! I felt bad for charlie too. If IIRC, he only threw one pitch in that game. What a lonely walk off the mound.

Boy was Ronnie ripped or what????

OFC

My second favorite Brave ever.

Quick cool Murphy story. The only time his team won the division. They win it by one game. I heard that on the plane home, he went to every single player on the team and brought up something they did in a particular game to help win it, and tokd them that was the one game we won by.

Reactions: Leo2Wes
My second favorite Brave ever.

Quick cool Murphy story. The only time his team won the division. They win it by one game. I heard that on the plane home, he went to every single player on the team and brought up something they did in a particular game to help win it, and tokd them that was the one game we won by.

One classy dude.... An example of a star who proves you don't have to be arrogant to be successful! OFC

Reactions: DukefanKY
To me outside of the hype and elite talent, the thing that makes our tournament outcome so disappointing is the fact that we VERY EASILY could have gone home in the second round. We got outplayed and we got lucky against a team we should have beaten by double digits.

It was pretty clear after that loss that we weren't winning a title. I'm more disappointed with the way we played rather than not getting to the final four.

Are you kidding me? We shot 40+% from 3PT (over 50% if you remove Tre’s stats) and had less than 10 TO. We played against a 7’6” monster that the refs swallowed their whistles for and they had a guy drop 32pts who couldn’t miss, that wasn’t discredit of bad defense. We didn’t get out-played, we survived against all odds. — How did you feel in 2010 (vs Baylor) when Singler went 0-10 on the floor with like 5 TO and a tie game with 3 minutes to go?

March is nuts, less than half of the #1 seeds make the F4 and it’s actually a rare occurrence that the consensus favorite wins it all.

I think he’s going to be a really good pro. Reminds me of Paul George

This is why sports fans in the social media era are constantly disappointed and miserable.

Paul George is arguably one of the five best players in the NBA. Cam Reddish has arguably the fifth most upside of players in the ACC this past season.

People put ultra-lofty and often unrealistic expectations on players then turn on them when they don't live up to something they had nothing to do with in the first place.

This is why sports fans in the social media era are constantly disappointed and miserable.

Paul George is arguably one of the five best players in the NBA. Cam Reddish has arguably the fifth most upside of players in the ACC this past season.

People put ultra-lofty and often unrealistic expectations on players then turn on them when they don't live up to something they had nothing to do with in the first place.

Perfectly said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT