ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread- Game 4: Duke vs Deleware

Overall a good second half. Flip was very good, Proctor excellent. Grandison 10 points off the bench. Mitchell bounced back nicely. Blakes played well. Whitehead got 15 minutes. Lively quiet but he's been injured. Roach, well he played. Young a solid 6 points.

Reactions: jamsession3
Overall a good second half. Flip was very good, Proctor excellent. Grandison 10 points off the bench. Mitchell bounced back nicely. Blakes played well. Whitehead got 15 minutes. Lively quiet but he's been injured. Roach, well he played. Young a solid 6 points.
Roach is forcing a lot when he doesn’t have to. Once he puts that together his driving will be crucial for kick outs .

Reactions: christophero
I love the way Jon subs guys in. It’s a huge change from K (even early in the season) and it really feels like we are much more difficult to prepare for whereas in the past I felt like we were an easy target. Outside of what you see in the box score for those that couldn’t watch, Whitehead made some nice moves but some easy ones didn’t fall. I’m not sure what Lively’s stats were as they probably won’t pop out at you but he was a difference maker when he was out there (forgot how great of a passer he is). For the most part, when Young and Flip were in they were trying to drive every time. When Lively was in they were shooting jumpers.

For those that couldn’t get the stream; in the future, you can just type “Duke vs. Opponent” in YouTube.com and someone will usually have it streaming live in low quality. Eventually it gets caught but a stream ran until 2:30 remaining until it blacked out.

I hate projecting because I'm a realist and a see with my own eyes person. This team could be elite. Flip is playing at a high level. 18 and 8 today. Lively is still too passive for my liking but he's been injured. He definitely gets a pass but we need a lot more from him to be a top team. Delaware seemed to be targeting him when they had the ball. Whitehead; he will be a huge asset. He certainly is not shy about shooting, (11 shots!) something Jon might want to keep an eye on. But great to have him back. Young and Grandison are steady vets who had solid games (6 and 10 points). Proctor looks like he is figuring it out, he had a double double. Roach has had a rough two games. 2 for 9 today. He is solid but he needs to look for assists a bit more. Mitchell is a junkyard dog and I liked what I saw from him tonight. Blakes also had a nice game and is turning into a solid vet. We could be very good, but some pieces need to fall into place.

Last edited:
It's not the best option, but I disconnected my TV from spectrum and connected it to my phone's (AT&T) hotspot and was able to watch the game.

The Reeves move is a bit puzzling to me. Yes it’s only 4 games in but why burn the redshirt if the kid only gets in when we are up by 30+? I still believe he can offer more but something is telling the coaches to hold him on the bench.

The final score masked an overall poor performance, IMHO. On offense, they played like they had a 15 second shot clock, which resulted in a lot of forced, off-balance shots that would have been more appropriate as the clock ran out. Roach was particularly guilty of that. Agree on comments already made on Lively, Flip, Proctor and Grandison. Great to see Whitehead out there - hopefully he’ll look a little more comfortable (although his 11 shots suggest he’s already feeling it!). Unless Schutt was under the weather, it looks like he’s already dropped to the end of the bench. Defensively, I liked our effort a lot. Still have a way to go, but i didn’t see anybody who looked like a deer in the headlights. I think as the season goes on, that may be our calling card, especially when Lively gets a better feel for what he can get away with.

Personally think your lively guy is highly overrated and will be a bust not just in NBA but college as well lol . Whitehead went like 3-11 last night I get he just got back but I’ll still say he’s y’all’s best player and is the real deal going forward.

Personally think your lively guy is highly overrated and will be a bust not just in NBA but college as well lol . Whitehead went like 3-11 last night I get he just got back but I’ll still say he’s y’all’s best player and is the real deal going forward.
Lol your calling a young man a bust who’s coming off a calf strain which is literally needed to jump. Better check his recruiting report . Always needed work on offense but his potential is truly there .

The Reeves move is a bit puzzling to me. Yes it’s only 4 games in but why burn the redshirt if the kid only gets in when we are up by 30+? I still believe he can offer more but something is telling the coaches to hold him on the bench.
Four points and four rebounds in what two minutes? I get he’s insurance in case injury . You can see his potential but he is thin and needs muscle but I agree with you 44.

Lol your calling a young man a bust who’s coming off a calf strain which is literally needed to jump. Better check his recruiting report . Always needed work on offense but his potential is truly there .
Lots of players have potential but don’t live up to potential. Lively will be a little bit better than Skal was at UK. That Kyle Flipauski guy is really good tough rim protector can shoot all around for his size gets rebounds wants the ball.

Well… that’s a take for sure lol

Reactions: Patriot202
Good win last night but Roach needs too get it together soon. We can get away with him being below average against these lower tier teams but he needs to be better

Good win yesterday. We were sloppy in the first half but we were also coming off a big game. We pulled away in the second half. Proctor coming on strong so we can play Roach off the ball. Roach has been a bit careless with the ball, he needs to work on that and shot selection. Great to have Whitehead back it's going to take some time but he got 15 minutes or so yesterday. My guess is Jon gave him a green light to shoot; eventually these shots will fall. Lively has been injured but we are going to need more out of him come ACC time. Still, a 30 point win and lots of positives. Mitchell and Grandison looked good on the wings and Flip has been very consistent. We have 6 weeks until the heart of the ACC schedule so Whitehead should be comfortable by then.

Last edited:
Wait, are we complaining that reeves is too skinny all while seeing Lively needing prob another 30 pounds? Yikes!

Reactions: pisgah101
Lots of players have potential but don’t live up to potential. Lively will be a little bit better than Skal was at UK. That Kyle Flipauski guy is really good tough rim protector can shoot all around for his size gets rebounds wants the ball.
At least learn how to spell. It’s Filipowski. Good try though.

It has been great seeing Blakes develop. I think he has earned minutes, although probably less minutes now that Whitehead is back.

Reactions: KDSTONE
Missed the first half, and glad I did. A combination of our defense being a little better, and talent taking over, limiting them to 22 2nd half points.
All in all, I think the team is in decent shape after only 4 games. Especially considering it was the first game with everyone available.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT