ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA First Weekend Traditions

dukiejay

Mar 2, 2005
Minneapolis
I know a lot of you have them. So what are they?

On Thursday, I’ll gather with a bunch of former co-workers at our favorite watering hole and watch hoops and catch up all afternoon. Then Friday it’s much the same with a different group of friends. On Saturday, one of my buddies has a large group of us over to his house for wings, beer and apps all day and into the evening. That’s usually an Uber ride home. Sunday is more laid back and my family gets to see me again, although this year Duke will be playing....so maybe not completely normal.

Reactions: FearTheBeard
Vegas. Get in Wednesday night go home Monday morning. Usually with my dad, but he can’t make it this year so I’ll be with a friend. Been doing it every year for about 10-12 years with maybe missing one year. Sometimes I go to Lake Tahoe and one time to Reno.

Nothing but sports bets, basketball all day and then blackjack or poker til 2 or 3am. Crash for a few hours, get up at 8 and do it all over again. It’s my favorite time of the year and my favorite vacation (unless my wife is reading this, which in that case it’s wherever we went instead).

I usually take the Thursday and Friday off. This year imd doing a week long staycation (though I have to be in court Thursday morning). Thursday starting at 3 will be spent at the local brewery. That's gonna become my new tradition.

The past 8 or so seasons I’ve had a handful of hometown buddies (southern WI) my way (NW WI). We would rent the golf simulator, hire a bar tender at my home course- and get completely sloppy thurs night and again all day/night Friday. Lay around Sat and catch up. Pretty wild times!! Last year i was in the middle of building and stuck in a small rental. This year I’ll be in the Bahamas as my kids are getting to be school Age and have spring break. But man we’ve had some incredible times!!

Take Thursday and Friday off work. Usually boys state tournament and ncaa tourney but the state tournament was a week early so this year I’ll be sitting home in my recliner with all the basketball I want. Fiancé will be at work so throw in some peace and quiet lol

Every March and September I sit in front of the tv for 4 days straight and only move when necessary. NBA 2K releases every September and of course hoops in March.

Lots of beer, Wild Turkey and hot wings.

No real tradition except I always watch all day every day. This year I’m staying home Thursday and Friday with my 4 month old who actually stares at the tv during basketball games lol gunna be great then Sunday I’ll go to my parents and watch all day

I don’t really have any traditions for the first weekend of the tournament. I’ll flip back and forth between different games throughout the day and night Thursday through Sunday except for Friday night because that’s usually my one night that I go out and when I go out on Friday night I’ll somewhat watch whatever games are on while I’m out at the bar but I’m not sure if I’ll be going out this Friday night yet because I’ve got a doctors appointment Wednesday and I plan to go down to The Book Store after my doctors appointment to buy an ACC Championship shirt and/or hat, so I might stay home Friday night to save some money and also because I reaggravated an old injury in the back of my shoulder last night and every time that I reaggravete that old injury it usually takes at least 3-4 days for the pain to go away and sometimes it takes longer than that.

Work.

This year, I have a banquet Thursday night, Gymnastic Conference Championships Friday night, DH Baseball Saturday, Single game Sunday.

People think I watch sports all day. Actually getting to watch is a break

Work.

This year, I have a banquet Thursday night, Gymnastic Conference Championships Friday night, DH Baseball Saturday, Single game Sunday.

People think I watch sports all day. Actually getting to watch is a break
You should “get the flu” on Thursday and recover Saturday at 12:01AM.

Reactions: Hurley22
I honestly don't have any traditions. No rituals, no favorite foods, or even certain friends coming over. I just watch the games (if I have the time), and for the last 12 years or so that usually means just me.

OFC

I'm pretty much left to fend for myself as well.My wife will usually do some visiting or shopping,may or may not show up for supper.I just need to make sure fridge is stocked with food and drink!

Agree with Dirt. No get togethers, no specific foods or places to be. Just in front of the tv as much as possible.
A part I almost enjoy as much as the games is listening to Charles Barkley. I think the man is brilliant about basketball. Also love him busting Kenny Smith's chops.

Reactions: dukesince91
We line up 3 TVs so we can watch every game. Come home early from work Thurs and Friday and get everything done before noon on Sat. and Sunday. If you guys are just watching one TV, you are missing out on a lot!

Agree with Dirt. No get togethers, no specific foods or places to be. Just in front of the tv as much as possible.
A part I almost enjoy as much as the games is listening to Charles Barkley. I think the man is brilliant about basketball. Also love him busting Kenny Smith's chops.

Reactions: HuffyJB

I really enjoy Barkley as well, and the last few commercials have been great!
I really like the one about the chucksuedo!!

Reactions: dbav
Yall need to get a life geez

....jk, I usually leave work at 12 Thurs and Fri.

I don't really have any traditions. Because of my work schedule I always have to work part of the 4 days. This year I'm off Thur/Fri, but have to work the weekend. I had already taken Sunday off because I'm going to an even Saturday night. I live about 4 hours away from Columbia and have been struggling for the last couple of days over whether I can survive games Friday and drive back in time to go to work Saturday morning, then get off work and do the event and drive back to Columbia Sunday and drive back home in time to go to work Monday morning. I'm off Tuesday and Wednesday so I could sleep for 48 straight.
But I'm not a young man anymore so I don't think I could pull if off :(

T21a.gif

I honestly don't have any traditions. No rituals, no favorite foods, or even certain friends coming over. I just watch the games (if I have the time), and for the last 12 years or so that usually means just me.

OFC

Just watch the games by myself. My wife has started to watch with me this year. She loves Zion. She doesn't know much about the game except dunks. She stays quite like I do so it's like watching by myself. OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I don't actually watch a lot of non Duke games. Especially during the regular season. I check scores constantly, and update my bracket, but watching a game when I don't have any strong connection to the outcome doesn't do it for me. Now once we get to the elite 8, I'm more likely to watch.

Reactions: skysdad
Some of the boys up at the country club have a little shindig planned tomorrow for opening round games. We'll split up in foursomes in morning and get 9 holes in...Then we'll convene over at at the club grill for an afternoon of ball games on the big screen, some poker, etc. Steak, baked potatoes, shrimp cocktails and a cash bar.... Probably an Uber home..

We've got an awesome group, all buddies over the year, southern hospitality at its best. Oh yeah and we'll bet on the games too of course...

OFC

Some of the boys up at the country club have a little shindig planned tomorrow for opening round games. We'll split up in foursomes in morning and get 9 holes in...Then we'll convene over at at the club grill for an afternoon of ball games on the big screen, some poker, etc. Steak, baked potatoes, shrimp cocktails and a cash bar.... Probably an Uber home..

We've got an awesome group, all buddies over the year, southern hospitality at its best. Oh yeah and we'll bet on the games too of course...

OFC
Now that to me sounds awesome.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Just getting over the flu, given to me by my wife. I almost drew up papers.....

Tomorrow I’ll gather at my brother’s. His man cave includes 3 tv’s so nothing to be missed. Friends, food, booze. Friday my wife will take the day off and we’ll watch together and this year get the house ready. Saturday I’m hosting a few friends and getting out the smoker for ribs, wings, sausage and as many sides that can fit on a table. I’ll also have a variety of about 10 bourbon/other various types of whiskey. Being a real estate attorney I’m always getting bottles from agents, clients etc. Secret got out. Sunday I’ll be hungover and laying on the couch waiting for Duke.

Always my favorite 4 days of the year.

Reactions: dukiejay

OFC

This sounds like a great day!! But I can't just play 9 holes.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I chide my kids as they leave for school saying "Dad's watching hoops all day, enjoy Math & Science!".

Reactions: pisgah101

OFC

Say hi to Judge Schmails for me!

Reactions: DukefanKY
Just spent the week in Vegas. I killed it last year. This year...not so much. But, I just spent 5 days in a 1200’ suite with my oldest friend...bet a ton of money...lost a bunch of bets...won a bunch of bets...all in all I’m walking away down $100 after factoring in all costs.

I’ll take it!

Just spent the week in Vegas. I killed it last year. This year...not so much. But, I just spent 5 days in a 1200’ suite with my oldest friend...bet a ton of money...lost a bunch of bets...won a bunch of bets...all in all I’m walking away down $100 after factoring in all costs.

I’ll take it!
Sorry to quote myself, even though that’s the cool thing to do, but my buddy is a Maryland fan/grad....so technically he’s a PoS.

He wanted to see what I was posting, so I added this.

Fvck Maryland! :cool:

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil

I’ll take it!

Sounds like you won to me, FTB!

OFC

I’ll take it!

I agree with OAD. I think you actually came out ahead!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT