ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Scout's point of view (part 1 & 2)

Jake1985

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 7, 2002
I want to start off by this disclaimer. My college roommate (back in the day) is now an NBA Scout. He provides me info from his point of view as well as Info he gets knowledge of. Obviously, the information is filtered by him.

First off the very first words out of his mouth were, "Grayson Allen. I told you this kids is booming with talent and potential. The scouts (NBA) love his potential. If he wanted to he could have easily gotten into the first round this year. The kid will be a stud."

Q: You talked about Grayson Allen, but what guys on a Duke's roster are interesting to NBA scouts?
A: "the elite talent won't be there with the three freshmen leaving, so the guys on the radar are (Chase) Jeter and (Luke) Kennard. Both have things about them which translates into NBA talent but all eyes will be on them this year. Kennard is that college guy that doesn't have a true NBA position but the kid can play. He's such a team guy and does all the little things that lead to wins. Just would have to question his lateral quickness to defend out on the wing some place and he needs to get stronger. There is no doubting he can shoot it and score. He is an NBA talent but it might take a few years. Jeter is intriguing because he has size and mobility and he is improving on both ends. He is another one with NBA talent just need to see when his body, his brain and his production all catch up and match up. "

Q: Out side of the incoming players, who on the roster had that potential?
A: "Believe it or not, Plumlee and Obi. Plumlee because of his family line and could he be a Chris Kamen type player. Obi has that pro body now and he is a man in the paint and the kid eats up rebounds. I saw him at Rice and this year he could get some buzz."

Q: Thoughts about Ingrams ability?
A: "Has a chance to be a sure fire one and done. He has legit size for an NBA 3 he's 6-9/6-10 and he's very long. His skill set is very good offensively. He could have an immediate impact at any college he attends. People are worried about his weight or strength but people have to remember that there have been All-Star players who couldn't even bench press 185lbs but the had no problem putting up points. That's Ingram. He's a pro."

Q: You're a Jersey guy so do you check out players back home?
A: "Im aware of the Jersey guys and (Tyus) Battle is a guy worth watching. Remember all those things I told you a year ago about Grayon Allen, well apply them for Battle. The slight difference is Battle is a tad bigger, has a better handle and is a clamp down defender. Who ever gets him will get a stud."

That's what I have now. I can write up the rest later.

Q: Do players reclassifying up a year to go to college early have any impact on their NBA value?
A: "that's a tough one because it's so individualized per player. If a player is one and done talent then reclassifying has zero effect because talent is talent which the NBA wants talented players. Do I think a player can develop more as a High School
SR rather than a college freshman I say yes but that is only if the player is mentally ready, socially adapted, physically ready and mature. I am not a fan of reclassifying and then red shirting. That player might as well as take a year at Prep School. But this is just my take."

Q: Thoughts on (Tyus) Battle and/or (Derryck) Thornton reclassifying to attend Duke next season?
A: "it's such an individual basis and a family decision. Both of those kids have game where they might develop more as a freshman in college rather than a high school sr. I have read all the articles and I know what I know so the most I can say is they are both college ready now and if they are motivated to get to the NBA sooner than later then the families know what path they need to follow."

Q: Going back to Duke, who is going to be the most watched player(s)?
A: "if Ingram attends Duke then him hands down. He is very very talented and he's all over all of our radars. If he's not at Duke then I kind of answered this question already. In order, Grayson Alllen, Kennard and Jeter, then Plumlee and Obi. Of course a player could have a break out year and draw attention too. That player could be (Amile) Jefferson who I can't really find a position for in the NBA but he has intangibles."

Q: What do you see from Duke players going into the NBA?
A: "They are prepared by the best college coach (in my opinion) who has them ready for all the demands of the NBA. He has all the experiences of managing Pro's without ever being a pro coach. He has earned so much respect from the NBA player and his college players get all of his experiences and knowledge of how to prepare. I like his approach to the one and done era and how college Sr's morph from good players to great college players. I do think Duke will get elite players to go there and that the program is at it's peek again."

That's it guys. Enjoy

This post was edited on 4/16 10:48 AM by Jake1985

This post was edited on 4/16 10:51 AM by Jake1985

This post was edited on 4/16 10:54 AM by Jake1985

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News