ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Williams Season Preview

BlueDevilStop

Starter
Jun 8, 2020
He will be an elite rim protector but will impact the game in other ways as well. What are you expecting from the freshman?

I think if Williams is good and can impact the game for 25+ minutes as our defensive anchor/rim runner than we are a Final 4 team. You just never know with big-men coming into college (unless it's a Bagley talent, which Williams isn't), so I'm holding out hope he's gonna be a big contributor, but I won't believe it until I see it in a real game. The transition for a big-man is so much tougher from HS to college than it is for a guard.

I'm expecting an up and down season from Mark. Could see some games him giving us 30 good minutes with great defense, and some games he doesn't see the floor much. He could be matchup dependent too, UNC with tons of bigs Mark will be needed. A spread it out and shoot 3's team maybe he doesn't play much. Either way, he's crucial to this roster because he's really our only true 5 (Tape' not as big as I thought) and I'm glad he's a Blue Devil.

Mark will start and he’s going to play himself into a first round pick this year. I can see it. He’s what the NBA wants in a big man. I can see him averaging over 3 blocks a game and dominating the paint defensively. While rim running and getting lobs offensively

I think it’s fair to assume he starts the season Or at least a majority of it. I think 15mpg might be what we are looking at unless he just surprises. I really do not know what expect from him.

Reactions: bfort2223
I think it’s fair to assume he starts the season Or at least a majority of it. I think 15mpg might be what we are looking at unless he just surprises. I really do not know what expect from him.
Starting 5 possibly Williams, Hurt, Johnson, Moore and Goldwire? I only know Johnson is supposed to be special, but I know little to nothing about the other freshmen.
I say Goldwire starts cause K likes veterans, and especially those that play d, hustle, and know the game, which Goldwire has proven.

Starting 5 possibly Williams, Hurt, Johnson, Moore and Goldwire? I only know Johnson is supposed to be special, but I know little to nothing about the other freshmen.
I say Goldwire starts cause K likes veterans, and especially those that play d, hustle, and know the game, which Goldwire has proven.
I could see that lineup to start the year. I could also see Roach and Goldwire starring together. Moore, Hurt and Jalen are written in permanent marker for every game. The rest will depend on who’s performing and what the staff is looking for.

Many seem to be hanging our season on Johnson being special; so hopefully he is. He sounds like a very good all around player but perhaps not a go to guy. I think Hurt and Moore will be our best players.

Last edited:
Many seem to be hanging our season on Johnson being special; so hopefully he is. He sounds like a very good all around player but perhaps not a go to guy. I think Hurt and Moore will be our best players.
Agree, but the game today is, for the most part, dominated by underclassmen. We have so many question marks, largely due to so much down time. I’d like to think Joey Baker has improved. We’re talking about a kid that was highly rated, and is a junior now.

Reactions: christophero
Johnson is special. He was the #3 recruit in the country (and rising) until his senior year when he transferred and missed tons of time, almost like he's flying under the radar right now.

I think Johnson will be hands down our best player. He's an insane passer for his size, he's huge, and has the potential to be an elite defender immediately (due to size and athleticism.) He will be a nightmare in transition, we will see a lot of him getting the rebound and going coast to coast for a dunk. His only knock is his outside shooting, which is why I think Hurt will ultimately be our leading scorer and also our go-to-guy when we need a bucket down the stretch.

I love Moore, but if Moore is your best player, not sure how high your ceiling is as a team. I think K will have Moore in the perfect role where he can contribute by doing a little bit of everything. Ball-handling, scoring, great defense, rebounding, etc.

You know with some luck we might have at least 5 bangers on this team. :) OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
Would not be s
Mark will start and he’s going to play himself into a first round pick this year. I can see it. He’s what the NBA wants in a big man. I can see him averaging over 3 blocks a game and dominating the paint defensively. While rim running and getting lobs offensively

Would not be surprised by this. He has a ton of potential.

Reactions: christophero
I think if Williams is good and can impact the game for 25+ minutes as our defensive anchor/rim runner than we are a Final 4 team. You just never know with big-men coming into college (unless it's a Bagley talent, which Williams isn't), so I'm holding out hope he's gonna be a big contributor, but I won't believe it until I see it in a real game. The transition for a big-man is so much tougher from HS to college than it is for a guard.

I'm expecting an up and down season from Mark. Could see some games him giving us 30 good minutes with great defense, and some games he doesn't see the floor much. He could be matchup dependent too, UNC with tons of bigs Mark will be needed. A spread it out and shoot 3's team maybe he doesn't play much. Either way, he's crucial to this roster because he's really our only true 5 (Tape' not as big as I thought) and I'm glad he's a Blue Devil.

I think he will be around 25 minutes per game as well. And yes, very crucial. Really the only true rim protector on the roster, and a very good one.

Okafor was pretty athletic in the Final Four against us. I know; too soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT