ADVERTISEMENT

Los talks about turning down benefits...

TheDude1

Cameron Crazy
Apr 15, 2010
... from other schools, and liking that that didn't come from Duke.

"I’m going to be honest, I was a kid that turned it down...I didn’t want to owe nobody nothing so I turned that stuff down, went to Duke and worked my butt off and became a starter as a freshman. That was challenge enough for me."

The interview is actually quite long, and he talks about it a LOT, so give it a look.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/...he-turned-down-gifts-to-attend-Duke-115672213

Dang just saw this on Twitter, thought I could break the news and you beat me to it!

Booz is amazing, such an underrated Duke player.

But not from Duke.

Former Duke star Carlos Boozer said that he received money and vehicle offers from multiple schools as a recruit, but turned them down to go to Duke.

Talking on Sports Illustrated’s HOLDAT Nation podcast, Boozer said that the offers “turned him off,” while Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski’s promise of competition made him excited to attend school in Durham.

"I’m going to be honest, I was a kid that turned it down. I was raised by my mom and dad—shout out Renee and Carlos Sr.—when I was getting recruited, and you probably went through this too Nate. I was one of the top players in my class and had a lot of schools coming after me. Obviously I’m not going to out anybody on this show, but I had a lot of schools coming out for me. I had schools telling me that if you come to my school you’ll start right away, we’ll give you a Jeep Cherokee, which at that time was one of the hottest whips out, we’ll give you $1,000 a month, you don’t have to go to class, you just gotta come play ball for us.

"And that turned me off because I wasn’t used to getting handouts. I was used to working for everything I ever got. That’s how my mom and dad worked; my mom and dad had two jobs each. They were busting their chops making sure they could feed all five mouths they had, they had five kids so they were trying to make sure that we could all eat. And so I’m used to seeing my parents as an example—don’t take no handouts, you gotta work for everything you get. So I told these universities no and I ended up going to Duke. They didn’t offer me nothing. Coach K sat in my living room in Alaska and was like, ‘You’re the top player in your class, but I can’t even promise you you’re going to start at this school. You’re going to have to earn it. We’ve got seven All-Americans coming in, you’re one of them if you decide to come here.’ I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re challenging me. I like that. I need a challenge.'

"So for me, that turned me on. That made me excited to have to go work for what I wanted, where I had other schools—again, they’ll remain nameless—telling me you don’t have to worry about class, you can be a dumb jock, we’ll pay you to come to our school $1,000 a month, which to me is a lot of bread. I wasn’t used to getting no money a month. So that was a big deal for me. But I didn’t want to owe nobody nothing, I wanted to be able to work for everything I got and be able to look back and be like, ‘I did it the right way and I don’t owe nobody nothing but my mom and my dad and the people that supported me—my sisters, my brothers’. I’ve been blessed with great siblings to be my support system. I didn’t want to owe nobody nothing so I turned that stuff down, went to Duke and worked my butt off and became a starter as a freshman. That was challenge enough for me."

Don't laugh, Show, but you might consider only offering a paragraph and then doing a link... just so the folks who did it get some hits, you know?

Don't laugh:)

Reactions: Showenuff
I just want to say I love Boozer. This is the the line up that got me hooked as a blue devil. I was 10 years old playing ball in my driveway pretending to be Carlos Mike Jay and Shane. Shane has always been my favorite but after watching old games I don't think I realized how good he really was when I was younger but he was my go to in the epic (imaginary) battles in my driveway.

I remember all my classmates(unc fans) calling him hot dog head. :). But seriously I loved that team. 2001 will always be special to me.

I just want to say I love Boozer. This is the the line up that got me hooked as a blue devil. I was 10 years old playing ball in my driveway pretending to be Carlos Mike Jay and Shane. Shane has always been my favorite but after watching old games I don't think I realized how good he really was when I was younger but he was my go to in the epic (imaginary) battles in my driveway.

I remember all my classmates(unc fans) calling him hot dog head. :). But seriously I loved that team. 2001 will always be special to me.

Same here. But don't forget about Chris.

Reactions: PHXDukie

YES. If you go back and watch the 2001 Final Four, he literally does something amazing, impactful, jaw dropping almost every play... these insane blocks and steals and rebounds and tip ins and scrambles... It's the most possessed Duke performance I've nearly ever seen.

DRu4rWI.jpg

Tell all your friends hotdog head is wrong....the correct term is "Sharpei".....and that came from Shane himself!!

Reactions: dukehokie
Me too! 2001 will always be my favorite Duke team. So much talent, leadership, intelligence, love for the school, and refusal to ever give in.

Reactions: sgrooms
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT