ADVERTISEMENT

Lakers wanting to hire Dan Hurley

bullcity gamer

Cameron Crazy
Oct 15, 2017
Thoughts? Do you see Danny Hurley leaving the opportunity to build his dynasty at UConn to coach the pros?

I think it will be a tough decision for Hurley, but I think he says Thank You, but No Thank
You.

Thoughts? Do you see Danny Hurley leaving the opportunity to build his dynasty at UConn to coach the pros?

I think it will be a tough decision for Hurley, but I think he says Thank You, but No Thank
You.
Lot of similarities to when they came calling Coach K years ago. But the one thing they have going for them that they didn’t before is the new landscape of college athletics. That could lure Hurley away. Would be a big loss for college hoops.

I have always thought the Hurley boys were wired too tight, and too emotional to be high D1 successful. He whines, looks like an idiot a lot of times, but man Danny can coach. I hope he leaves for the pro game.

The NIL thing and the future of the Big East trying to compete with the Power 2,3 or 4 conferences may weigh on Hurley's mind. It's going to get even tougher for UCon to compete for top players, although Hurley's done remarkably well so far.

But walking out before trying to get the trifecta? That's history right there. Don't know if the timing is right.

Fox Sports reports Hurley met with his team and said he in talks with the Lakers. If true this is a huge blow to UConn, not that I will shed any tears. Will be annoying if the center transfers to UNC.

I personally would not go to the NBA from a great college gig. But he want's to prove himself there I suppose. Good. Less competition for Duke in the big dance. UCONN about to take a big step down regardless of who they get. I think he's leaving for sure.

Fox Sports reports Hurley met with his team and said he in talks with the Lakers. If true this is a huge blow to UConn, not that I will shed any tears. Will be annoying if the center transfers to UNC.
Who is the center your talking about Chris??Donovan Clingan is gone already to Pros. He will be a high first round pick.

If he stays he will get a nice raise
UConn just gave a big raise and extension for Geno. It would be dwarfed by what they’d have to offer Hurley to stay. I think the lure of the Lakers’ big money - no way UConn can match the Lakers’ $ - and the chance to be Lebron’s last coach may be too much to turn down.

I wonder what happened to the JJ candidacy - it sounded like it was close to a done deal.

Reactions: sheyduke
The NBA money will be significantly more with a huge buyout. I will not miss him in the college ranks...haha! I doubt it has anything to do with NIL and Transfer Portal, he hasn't been around long enough to be jaded by that, and he navigated it all very well to his benefit. Will be interested who would replace him and if they could keep most of the players.

I think the only knock on JJ is no head coaching experience and what’s not to say James didn’t talk JJ out of taking it . They have the pod cast and Lebron is a friend to JJ.
Hurley isn’t stupid . If he takes the Lakers job it’s because he has set things in motion to favor him being successful which includes maintaining James . He could be looking at the NCAA as a pro sport so why not join one of the biggest names in he NBA .

I think the Portal and NIL have changed the college game so much that coaches who would have stayed (such as K) are now much more interested in the NBA if it comes calling..

Reactions: hart2chesson
Doesn't LeBron coach the Lakers? Is he really going to listen to a college coach? He listened to K, but that was years ago.

Nothing saying Lebron will even be a Laker next season . They could be thinking rebuild especially if Lebron leaves .

Reactions: bullcity gamer
I'm predicting this type of conversation:

Hurley: Are you really going to waste a draft pick on Bronny?

Lakers: Yes.

Hurley: Good luck next season. (Exits room)
Hurley . Are you really paying me 60 million?

Lakers. Yes a course .

Pick who you want if you fire me after a year I’m still a rich man . Lol

• Haha
Reactions: bullcity gamer
Just read a bit of the UConn forums. It's called the Boneyards. The Laker thread is 85 pages. The board seems to be split on whether he stays or goes. I think he stays and gets a raise. What I did find curious is the respect of Duke and K whenever him almost leaving for the Lakers was mentioned. I am so used to the constant Puke/Ratface disrespect on RR that I was surprised to read almost nothing negative about Duke. Not saying they like Duke, but they respect Duke.

Hope he leaves.. he doesn’t have the longevity to UCONN to be too torn IMO.. leave make tons of $$$ if it don’t work have your pick at college jobs.

Don't care either way. Some of you on this board have Hurley massively overrated as a coach...🤣

UConn needs to step up. Hurley makes 5.25 million a year; Bill Self makes 10. And I'm pretty sure Kansas is cheaper than Connecticut cost of living wise.

If he takes the job his players can transfer
Imagine Alex Karaban will be pissed. He was a potential late 1st round or early 2nd round pick in the NBA draft that came back to make a run at a title. Yes, he can transfer but he can’t get back in the draft.

Nothing saying Lebron will even be a Laker next season . They could be thinking rebuild especially if Lebron leaves .
If this happens, Lebron will be a part of the discussion. Similar to Kobe recruiting K, Lebron will have a conversation with Hurley.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT