ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky in full meltdown mode; Cal throws player under bus on Twitter

RJ was a consensus first team AA, all ACC and even won a NPOY, the only one Zion didn’t get. The hate or lack of appreciation for RJ is astounding. We don’t need to prop up Zion by squatting on RJ.
Exactly. It seemed the RJ hate train began after the Gonzaga loss but he was healthy all season and put up historic numbers as a freshman.
He was the glue that held the team together when we lost Tre and Zion on separate occasions. He won the UCF game in the second round as well.

Last edited:
Exactly. It seemed the RJ hate train began after the Gonzaga loss but he was healthy all season and put up historic numbers as a freshmen.
He was the glue that held the team together when we lost Tre and Zion on separate occasions. He won the UCF game in the second round as well.
First player since the landlord to register a triple double!

As good as Zion was in Hs, no one expected him to come in and do what he did. He’s had a meteoric rise that literally no one predicted. At Duke, the presence of RJ absolutely helped Zion shine. You couldn’t leave RJ to help on Zion. You could leave Tre, Jav, Ques etc, but not RJ, and really despite what his rep is on this board, you couldn’t leave Cam either. Zion was incredible, but so was RJ.

As good as Zion was in Hs, no one expected him to come in and do what he did. He’s had a meteoric rise that literally no one predicted. At Duke, the presence of RJ absolutely helped Zion shine. You couldn’t leave RJ to help on Zion. You could leave Tre, Jav, Ques etc, but not RJ, and really despite what his rep is on this board, you couldn’t leave Cam either. Zion was incredible, but so was RJ.
I also liked the fact that RJ and Zion were also close off the court. You could tell their friendship was genuine.

I remember in the pre-tournament preview shows the analyst discussing that no team since the advent of the 3 pt. line with a team 3 pt. shooting percentage as low as Duke's had ever made a Final Four, much less won a championship. I thought with Zion and RJ maybe Duke would be good enough to end that streak, but it was not to be.

Reactions: Quavarius
I remember in the pre-tournament preview shows the analyst discussing that no team since the advent of the 3 pt. line with a team 3 pt. shooting percentage as low as Duke's had ever made a Final Four, much less won a championship. I thought with Zion and RJ maybe Duke would be good enough to end that streak, but it was not to be.
We were within a minute of it being a reality but ultimately that poorly shooting team didn’t get it done. We shot 7-21 in that game.

It’s more of how RJ played. Nothing to do with talent :)

I liked that he was an alpha, something we had been missing in years past. He’d be remembered differently had his shot went in against Gonzaga or if Duke went to the Final Four/won it all. But since we didn’t, he’s the scapegoat. When Zion was out, who were we going to rely on for points? Tre? Cam? Bolden? White? AOC? Goldwire? Without RJ, a Zion-less Duke team probably lose more games.

Reactions: IFaZe
If we had more reliable scorers, maybe RJ wouldve felt he didn’t have to do too much to will Duke to a win, but every RJ hater acts as if there were a plethora of “Steph Curry’s” just denied the opportunity to score because of him.

I know I may get hate for this, but most RJ criticism should fall on K. Our offense seemed to mostly run entirely thru RJ. Zion was absolutely unreal and basically unguardable and so often it seemed like he only touched the ball because of his insane motor and skill in getting boards and steals and not because anything was ever drawn up for him. Our offense MO basically seemed to be: "See what RJ can create for himself. If he misses, we have Zion down there."

Reactions: IFaZe
I know I may get hate for this, but most RJ criticism should fall on K. Our offense seemed to mostly run entirely thru RJ. Zion was absolutely unreal and basically unguardable and so often it seemed like he only touched the ball because of his insane motor and skill in getting boards and steals and not because anything was ever drawn up for him. Our offense MO basically seemed to be: "See what RJ can create for himself. If he misses, we have Zion down there."
ABSOLUTELY! Coach K ruined that team. That was probably his worst coaching year to date. He saw that team and the pecking order all wrong. He empowered RJ too much. I love RJ but there's no way he should've taken that many more shots than Zion. He didn't let Tre be the point guard he was capable of being. It actually exposed Tre's weaknesses offensively by how we played

K deserves some blame too. He was trying to be...politically correct lol. It is what it is.

Man, can anyone envision k going 1-7?

Last edited:

Very true. I think Zion feels that team mates like RJ, Tre, Cam and the whole team made him better. I'm sorry guys just because certain players don't win nattys doesn't mean they are a disappointment . It is so easy to sit behind a keyboard and figure it all out. I'm guilty myself of that. We Duke fans are so lucky to see so many great players come through the program even if it is for one year. I am far from being an one and done supporter but am grateful they are part of the brotherhood. Maybe some day soon we won't have one and dones to discuss and watch our players grow through the years as we once did. I do tend to live in the past a little too much but I yearn for another natty with junior/senior led teams before I leave this mortal exhistance. OFC

Last edited:
Very true. I think Zion feels that team mates like RJ, Tre, Cam and the whole team made him better. I'm sorry guys just because certain players don't win nattys are a disappointment . It is so easy to sit behind a keyboard and figure it all out. I'm guilty myself of that. We Duke fans are so lucky to see so many great players come through the program even if it is for one year. I am far from being an one and done supporter but am grateful they are part of the brotherhood. Maybe some day soon we won't have one and dones to discuss and watch our players grow through the years as we once did. I do tend to live in the past a little too much but I yearn for another natty with junior/senior led teams before I leave this mortal exhistance. OFC
Thank you sky

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT