ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan Goldwire to enter transfer portal

Gonzaga is the favorite for Chet H. I'm kind of envious they have the best team for 3 years now. They will be loaded next year.

Unless he knows our guards are back, will be able to handle more minutes, and Keels is coming. Then it makes sense. But it sounds like this has been his plan for a while.
Also his graduate school intentions may not be at Duke???...even w/ Keels possibly coming and DJ staying he would still get good minutes...not 30mpg bet definitely decent and at a place he is familiar with and enjoys...

Last edited:
Reactions: christophero
I recall some of you getting upset when a group of us called out that he was leaving weeks ago. It was pretty obvious he was gone.

Transfer madness is taking hold. Just check the list out there. You can get 3 transfers to add to 2 recruits and 2 returning players + a grad student or two and manufacture a top 25 team. Doesnt make me as a fan that excited though.

We need to get more aggressive recruiting transfers. It has paid off for schools like Gonzaga and Baylor. Times are changing and so must we.

Its helped Houston and BAMA big time as well. Imagine having a transfer or two will become more of the rule than the exception even for the top 25 teams. Majority of the transfers were going from big time schools to mid majors or lower tier Power 5 schools.

Also his graduate school intentions may not be at Duke???...even w/ Keels possibly coming and DJ staying he would still get good minutes...not 30mpg bet definitely decent and at a place he is familiar with and enjoys...
I am not so sure about that. Steward and Roach will have had a year under their belts and a lot of cagers make a big jump from freshman to sophomore year. Plus Moore was getting more time at PG. All three of these guys have more upside than Goldwire. Then add Keels to the list and it is hard to see where those minutes come from. It will be Goldwire's last season playing college ball and I can see why he would like to maximize his minutes. He will have a degree from Duke and has gotten an awful lot from his experience there. This all makes sense to me, quite frankly

Reactions: GAAP
I am not so sure about that. Steward and Roach will have had a year under their belts and a lot of cagers make a big jump from freshman to sophomore year. Plus Moore was getting more time at PG. All three of these guys have more upside than Goldwire. Then add Keels to the list and it is hard to see where those minutes come from. It will be Goldwire's last season playing college ball and I can see why he would like to maximize his minutes. He will have a degree from Duke and has gotten an awful lot from his experience there. This all makes sense to me, quite frankly
Given the current make-up of the team, Goldwire will be missed, mostly because of the absence of a quality PG. His value was only as a dependable defensive pest and as a leader. Far from irreplaceable. A great young man, and I hope he finds a spot on a team where he can flourish.

Reactions: sheyduke
If you look at all the transfers they are mainly leaving for a bigger role . A transfer would have to be wiling to come off the bench at Duke. I don’t see a situation where any transfer that signed with Duke could start. It would take them coming in and taking a starting role literally. The only spot I see that happening would be pg. the battle between Steward and Keels( if one returns and the other stays) will be hard fought . I don’t see anyone on the roster that could push Roach out of the starting pg spot. I mean Duke is waiting to see what Coleman is going to do but getting another big would be the same scenario. No one is starting over Williams and Paolo and the battle between Moore and Griffin to start at SF is going to be a big one.

Given the current make-up of the team, Goldwire will be missed, mostly because of the absence of a quality PG. His value was only as a dependable defensive pest and as a leader. Far from irreplaceable. A great young man, and I hope he finds a spot on a team where he can flourish.
Unfortunately leaders and defensive pests esp embodied in one player becoming harder and harder to find. God speed Jordan When I was your age I could have probably given you fits one on one but you got to wear that duke jersey and few did.

We will miss the leadership and defense. He probably did not want to go back to getting 10-15 minutes a game. If Baker leaves we will be super young, unless Hurt surprises and returns. Right now Baker and Moore are our only upperclassman.

Hurt would check all the boxes, although he seems like a pretty mellow guy. But it's hard to ask a transfer to be a leader, unless they are here a few years. Moore could be as well. Baker too but he doesn't play much. come to think of it we have too many nice guys, ha.

Last edited:
We need whoever replaces Goldwire to be a better than capable defender and a consistent perimeter threat. Preferably with some length and strength as well. As of now, our guards lack D skills, length, strength, and consistent 3 or shooting. Hipefully, DJ and Roach work hard and improve in each of those areas, obviously not counting length.
If Keels comes, I really hope he is a capable and willing defender and can be more consistent from 3 than Trent Jr. was.

This is who Duke has become. Not necessarily a fault, but K gets either the elite, or the “let’s hope and pray he improves” player. Goldwire and Justin Robinson are 2 players that maxed out their talent, it’s just that Goldwire was offensively challenged.
The only way I see it changing is if K changes who he recruits, which he won’t cause he’s chasing #6, and near the end of his time. I know he’s always recruited the best, but as we all know, our best leave now after 1, 2 if we’re lucky, and we start over again. The bench generally doesn’t develop.
The kid ranked 3 or low? 4 star that becomes a really solid college player is probably not coming to Duke, thinking they will not get the chance due to the next batch coming in that will get good minutes. The same for a transfer.
And we aren’t a patient fan base either.

I wonder if Goldwire was insulted that he wasn't chosen a captain. I mean he was the only senior who played.

I wonder if Goldwire was insulted that he wasn't chosen a captain. I mean he was the only senior who played.
I don’t think it’s that. He was a senior imo, who should have been playing ahead of Roach all season. K choose to developer the players for next year and Goldwire simply might feel he can start his final year. I think it’s s good move for Goldwire.

Reactions: geddoughton23
This is who Duke has become. Not necessarily a fault, but K gets either the elite, or the “let’s hope and pray he improves” player. Goldwire and Justin Robinson are 2 players that maxed out their talent, it’s just that Goldwire was offensively challenged.
The only way I see it changing is if K changes who he recruits, which he won’t cause he’s chasing #6, and near the end of his time. I know he’s always recruited the best, but as we all know, our best leave now after 1, 2 if we’re lucky, and we start over again. The bench generally doesn’t develop.
The kid ranked 3 or low? 4 star that becomes a really solid college player is probably not coming to Duke, thinking they will not get the chance due to the next batch coming in that will get good minutes. The same for a transfer.
And we aren’t a patient fan base either.
I think there's some truth to what you are saying, but there are 4 stars all over the nation who transferring and don't have a batch of 5 stars coming in behind them. We might not be patient as a fan base, but neither are college players these day (and it's not just this year, this has become and annual thing).

And it also doesn’t always work out . Only for a select few minutes hay put in the work. Look at O’Connell. He still in the same role he played at Duke . Wouldn’t be a bit surprised to see a lot of mid majors get an influx in transfers .

And it also doesn’t always work out . Only for a select few minutes hay put in the work. Look at O’Connell. He still in the same role he played at Duke . Wouldn’t be a bit surprised to see a lot of mid majors get an influx in transfers .
I thought that AOC was a spectacular prospect. He always played great against my Tar Heels. And then my Duke friends tell me that Caleb Love is tremendous, but I don't see it

I think there's some truth to what you are saying, but there are 4 stars all over the nation who transferring and don't have a batch of 5 stars coming in behind them. We might not be patient as a fan base, but neither are college players these day (and it's not just this year, this has become and annual thing).
My reference to the transfers is with Duke, what’s the odds we get one that is a good player, and will contribute close to 20 minutes a game, which means they are producing in some form? I’m not talking about the landscape of college basketball either. My point is, that as a general rule, Duke is elite or almost bust. In today’s game, balance is key.

I thought that AOC was a spectacular prospect. He always played great against my Tar Heels. And then my Duke friends tell me that Caleb Love is tremendous, but I don't see it
Alex is a role player at best. Watched him in today’s game looked the same as he did at Duke. You can tell the talent is there but it’s like he can’t put it together.

We need whoever replaces Goldwire to be a better than capable defender and a consistent perimeter threat. Preferably with some length and strength as well. As of now, our guards lack D skills, length, strength, and consistent 3 or shooting. Hipefully, DJ and Roach work hard and improve in each of those areas, obviously not counting length.
If Keels comes, I really hope he is a capable and willing defender and can be more consistent from 3 than Trent Jr. was.
More consistent than trent? Trent was spectacular from 3.

I remember Trent being inconsistent. Didnt he start off hot but really tail off?

Certainly not gonna bet the house on my memory these days.

I remember Trent being inconsistent. Didnt he start off hot but really tail off?

I don't remember his numbers at Duke either. I don't expect any 18 year old to be "consistent ". It was obvious that he was a good shooter. I was surprised that he was traded last week

Wow! I googled. As timritterus said, 40% from 3. Only 43% from 2. The wow was for 88% from the line. He played 34 minutes per game. I would have guessed 30

He was streaky

I think Moore is the backup primary ball handler next year, and I don't like that at all. I am so glad we have Moore (I assume) for another year and hopefully two. He's shown flashes of excellent play, but he's a little loose with the ball. I would much prefer his as a SG or small forward. I think he can be a leader on the floor too, moreso than anyone else on the roster. Yes Goldwire was an inconsistent scorer, but he was a solid ball handler coming off the bench.

Hurt comes back for a Junior campaign and gets to play the stretch 4 all season??? Don't tease me like that.........yes, I am drooling a bit over the thought.

If Hurt comes back it’s probably because he has no desire to play over seas. Teams will look at him but he reminds me of Ryan Kelly without the four years and Ryan did make the Lakers roster.

I don’t see him back though.

As long as we were to keep Roach and Steward I'm fine with this. His offense just never developed any consistency.

If Steward leaves, we're going to struggle.

Freshmen guards just don't have the maturity to compete.

Steward and Williams returning are the key to next season. I really don't want to see Roach and a bunch of new guys. That is not a recipe for success. Like I've said if Steward returns and Keels comes then this move makes sense. Jordan is one of my favorite players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT