ADVERTISEMENT

Joey Baker has played a total of 32 games..

Buzzooka Joe

Cameron Crazy
Feb 20, 2006
..and he will be a Junior next season (if he returns)..

That’s pretty weird for a Top 50 recruit that has been (for the most part) healthy.

Reactions: christophero
Not that weird considering six 1st round NBA talents are competing for your minutes at the swing forward position: Zion, RJ, Wendell, Cassius, Hurt and Cam. The fact that he still played in half those games is pretty admirable.
I think my post came off different than I intended..

I meant, because of his weird “redshirt” freshman year, he only got to play 4 games his first season.. then his second season is shortened because all of our post-season games are canceled.. he’s only really had the opportunity to play about 1 full season, but has used 2 years of eligibility.

I think my post came off different than I intended..

I meant, because of his weird “redshirt” freshman year, he only got to play 4 games his first season.. then his second season is shortened because all of our post-season games are canceled.. he’s only really had the opportunity to play about 1 full season, but has used 2 years of eligibility.
Ah got it. I retract my snark. Carry on.

Reactions: dbav
When Baker was on he was as good as Hurt. Considering he reclassified and basically redshirted his first year he's essentially a sophomore next year. He could really break out next year. Huge upside; but we are approaching now or never time.

Reactions: hart2chesson
His first season was basically worst case scenario due to the red shirt being burned so late in the season. He didn’t get any game action for the high majority of the season while still losing eligibility for that year. Zion’s freak injury hurt us in many different ways that season, this included. I doubt Baker burns the redshirt if Zion’s shoe didn’t explode.

His first season was basically worst case scenario due to the red shirt being burned so late in the season. He didn’t get any game action for the high majority of the season while still losing eligibility for that year. Zion’s freak injury hurt us in many different ways that season, this included. I doubt Baker burns the redshirt if Zion’s shoe didn’t explode.
No chance he burns it without the Zion injury.

I really hope Joey starts to get crazy good the next two years and gets drafted so we can think he was going to go pro after his junior year regardless and we won’t feel so bad about his freshman year basically being a waste.

From the sample I have seen, Joey is a fierce competitor who is a streaky spot up 3 point, catch and shoot kinda guy. I hope he will build on last year's experience, work hard in the offseason, and become a more rounded player and a more consistent 3 point shooter. I do believe it's in him, and I hope he has a breakout year!

I think Joey Baker has become AOC2. We have at least one annual player who falls into the divide between solid minutes and garbage time.

If he decides to at least begin his junior year, Joey will watched for his mannerisms, facial expressions, body language, etc for signs he is about to transfer, particularly if he rides a lot of bench. Its a dubious distinction Joey, but for now at least- you're the man!

OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
Joey seems to be a super late bloomer in regards to growing into his body and filling out, last year he still looked like a kid out on the court. Maybe this is who he is? But I tend to believe Joey was a 5-star for a reason, once he fills out, he's gonna be really good.

I think he's perfect for a shooters role off the bench. He always comes in with confidence letting it fly. He's gonna have a big year.

Seems like 6th or 7th man is a perfect role for him. He needs to make shots though.
Joey seems a little too excited when he's been in there. I'm not sure if it's his nature, or that he's trying hard to impress. My opinion is it's the latter. Somehow he has to play a little more relaxed. Easier said than done, especially since the spot he fills has been very competitive, and his margin for error has been slim.

My guess is Baker breaks out the way we were all hoping AOC and Baker were going to this year. If he hits his shot consistently he could even start. Of course his defense must improve but hitting that shot would make up for a lot. We were elite when Joey was hitting this year.

Joey seems a little too excited when he's been in there. I'm not sure if it's his nature, or that he's trying hard to impress. My opinion is it's the latter. Somehow he has to play a little more relaxed. Easier said than done, especially since the spot he fills has been very competitive, and his margin for error has been slim.

Joey seems to be a super late bloomer in regards to growing into his body and filling out, last year he still looked like a kid out on the court. Maybe this is who he is? But I tend to believe Joey was a 5-star for a reason, once he fills out, he's gonna be really good.

I think he's perfect for a shooters role off the bench. He always comes in with confidence letting it fly. He's gonna have a big year.

Mac, think you and JWill both make rock solid posts. Joey does still tend to play with "QUICK HOOK SYNDROME," or an awareness that next whistle is buzz out of action after a mistake. He has to somehow lose that attitude and JUST PLAY!

As Jwill noted by the same token, he could be ready to bust out. The 5 STAR didnt come by accident.

OFC

On paper Joey is as good as any one of our incoming recruits, except for Johnson, but with experience. We tend to view incoming recruits glass half full. Coleman is a 6-8 rebounding machine, Brakefield is a hidden gem, the guards are underrated, etc. Usually the weaknesses prove to be accurate. Sometimes a guy like Cash surprises, but that is usually the exception.

On paper Joey is as good as any one of our incoming recruits, except for Johnson, but with experience. We tend to view incoming recruits glass half full. Coleman is a 6-8 rebounding machine, Brakefield is a hidden gem, the guards are underrated, etc. Usually the weaknesses prove to be accurate. Sometimes a guy like Cash surprises, but that is usually the exception.

Christoph good post, I like the "glass half full" approach! OFC

Its easy to prognosticate about Baker or any player's future fate in the next season. Everybody likes predictions or to forecast how someone may perform.

If I had to speculate about Joey's performance level next year, I would say 10 minutes or so on average per game.. They would be highlighted by some spark igniting runs for Duke where he captures fire and plays extra minutes. Coach K offers a "Joey gave us a lift," "a verve" post game.

They would also include games of some mistakes marked by a K short leash.He's certainly capable of more, and may provide it. I think Matt and Joey both need some additional time in weight room...OFC

I don't think the AOC transfer will hurt; as Steward and Baker are upgrades and will be better off getting those minutes. I think Baker has a better chance of figuring it out than AOC. Not to pick on AOC; he may have a nice senior year. But Duke seemed like too much pressure for him.

I don't think the AOC transfer will hurt; as Steward and Baker are upgrades and will be better off getting those minutes. I think Baker has a better chance of figuring it out than AOC. Not to pick on AOC; he may have a nice senior year. But Duke seemed like too much pressure for him.

Amen Christoph...OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT