ADVERTISEMENT

Jaylen Blakes commits

Duke would never challenge for a title with his playing 28 minutes a game. Love his defense but I would rate his ball handling/ passing as a low B. Offense of 5 pts a game would be a low C. Combine that with a strong A for defense and then rate the complete player.
I think he knew he would play less this year and I cannot blame him for wanting a change. I will miss his D and his leadership. Wish he could have accepted a lesser role and played here next season.

He's out of the top 100 for a reason. Great pick up for the future; but we should expect too much right away. Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised. At least he won't be expected to do too much.

a reason for that too could be he only played in 2 games this past year cause of the pandemic (not saying thats the reason but he rose up the ranks from freshman year to now)

a reason for that too could be he only played in 2 games this past year cause of the pandemic (not saying thats the reason but he rose up the ranks from freshman year to now)

Personally, I think we have picked up a kid who a lot of people have slept on. He has good handles, a nice step back, he's long, and he's athletic. Young, for sure, but he might just surprise some people next season.

I like him a lot. Just don't want to put too much pressure on him. Great 4 year guy.

It’s absolutely absurd to think a first team all acc defensive guard would be behind a true freshman non top 100 guard. 4 assists per game was very respectable. I don’t get all the hate for Jordan. Guess people don’t realize he wasn’t even nationally rated coming out of hs. We lost a really important piece in challenging for an ncaa title.
It is even more absurd to suggest that Goldwire was an important piece to challenging for an NCAA title. It may be that if Duke hadn't been forced to play Goldwire for 28 - 30 minutes per game, Duke may have snuck into the tournament this past year. Would be nice to have him to pester opposing PG's but that is about it. Don't hate Jordan. I admire him and his spirit and work ethic. OFC

Reactions: jeffrey236
It is even more absurd to suggest that Goldwire was an important piece to challenging for an NCAA title. It may be that if Duke hadn't been forced to play Goldwire for 28 - 30 minutes per game, Duke may have snuck into the tournament this past year. Would be nice to have him to pester opposing PG's but that is about it. Don't hate Jordan. I admire him and his spirit and work ethic. OFC
Jordan goldwire is an excellent piece as a role player on a good team. He isn’t a star player that could be counted on to take the reins and lead Duke as an offensive scorer. To argue that he wouldn’t be an integral part to a more talented team is flat out stupid.

lol yes, it’s goldwire a fault that coach k built a terrible team that was forced to hope he could be a consistent scorer. It gets crazier and crazier that we blame guys like j gold for what happened last year 😂

Reactions: topps coach
Jordan goldwire is an excellent piece as a role player on a good team. He isn’t a star player that could be counted on to take the reins and lead Duke as an offensive scorer. To argue that he wouldn’t be an integral part to a more talented team is flat out stupid.

lol yes, it’s goldwire a fault that coach k built a terrible team that was forced to hope he could be a consistent scorer. It gets crazier and crazier that we blame guys like j gold for what happened last year 😂

What is your definition of "integral"? I need to know that before I get beyond my hurt feelings for being called "stupid", and respond to your reply. I may be dumb, but I ain't "stupid". Oh, wait a minute, I am not the first poster whom you have derided as stupid because they disagreed with you, so I must, in fact, be stupid. My bad. Sorry. OFC

I dont see any hate for Jordan. I certainly wanted him back. Jordan's biggest problem was that, for the last 2 years, he was forced to fill a higher role than he was suited for.
I also dont think it is too crazy to hope that Blakes could approach Jordan's impact. He already has a body that is superior to Jordan's, comes in much higher rated than Jordan did, and is a much better shooter. Not too crazy to think he is better on O and be good enough on D to be comparable overall.

“That is pure BS. You have totally missed the point. He was brotherhood because he played and worked hard. Whether Duke fans loved his game or not does not affect the fact that he earned the right to be considered a brother. The facts that he stayed and graduated had nothing to do with him being in the brotherhood, but are simply additional evidence that he is, and always will be, one of us.”

What is your definition of "integral"? I need to know that before I get beyond my hurt feelings for being called "stupid", and respond to your reply. I may be dumb, but I ain't "stupid". Oh, wait a minute, I am not the first poster whom you have derided as stupid because they disagreed with you, so I must, in fact, be stupid. My bad. Sorry. OFC
Never said YOU were stupid. What you’re arguing is. Didnt peg you to be so sensitive in that regard either. I’m not sure I’ve ever called anyone stupid or have used the word in an argument on here to be honest. If I did... 🤷🏽‍♂️

my point stands and that’s how I feel about it. Jordan goldwire. Insinuating that a True freshman, who is not in the top 100 of his class, will leapfrog an all acc defensive guard.

It’s Jordan goldwire’s fault he played so much that we missed the tournament. never mind coach k built this squad and put goldwire in a position he should’ve never had to be in with a school like duke. I guess it’s goldwires fault that instead of going for a vet guard transfer to help us out this year, we went after an injured Pf. Something we had an abundance of. But yes blame goldy.
never mind all of the problems we had this season such as Moore and bakers lack of development. Let’s ignore the fact that he played a measly 4 min per game more than he did last year... But yeah goldy playing a lot was huge in us not making the tourney.

And then you try to come off with “ oh but his spirit and work ethic...” please. It’s a slap in the face to what goldwire contributed to this team. Tired of people not recognizing the true problems in the program. Look at the facts. Respect a guy who came as a 3 star nobody and did more than highly rated guys such as O’Connell and baker. Goldy deserves respect.

When I say integral is he’s a guy who can provide actual leadership. This is a guy who’s actually played a lot of minutes in a lot of games. Not an Antonio vrank type of guy who’s a senior in name only. This is a guy who could play a role well and contribute when paired up with better talent. That’s what I meant when I said he was integral to a championship next year. We literally have nobody who is truly experienced. Yes, baker doesn’t provide that true experience ( rarely contributes consistently and rarely play) and neither does a young roach.

Spin it any way you want to. I did not blame Goldwire for the losses. My point is that had we had a more qualified point guard who could defend as well as shoot and pass well, Duke would have been better off than it was with having just Roach and Goldwire. However, given that situation, we were clearly better off with Goldwire than we would have been without him. No one disputes that Goldwire gave everything he had. And, given the definition of "integral" which you have provided, I agree that Goldwire's presence next year could be "integral" and of some benefit to the team and that his experience and leadership might be needed, especially if the point guard situation does not improve. Next year we will see whether and how much he is actually missed. You give yourself too much credibility if you believe that my feelings were really "hurt" by your choice of words. I responded to your post primarily because I believe that when a poster's comments, like yours, tend to be rude and condescending, I have the right to call him or her out for it.

OFC

Last edited:
Goldwire gets 10000% of my RESPECT and my gratitude. Come into Duke as a last minute back guard. 3 star I believe. Get recruited over by Tre Jones, but still stay and grind, while getting back up minutes. The Jones returns, and his Junior year he stays and grinds, becoming a heck of a defender and playing big minutes. Then senior year gets recruited over with Roach, still stays, grinds it out, players big time minutes and progresses to a good player...

Let's remember this, I said it when he committed years back. JORDAN GOLDWIRE will never see meaningful minutes at Duke. I was wrong, and I'd love to have a player like him going forward. He EARNED what was given to him at Duke. 👏👏

This day and time seems like if you get recruited over it must hurt the kids pride, and they want out. It's about progression, but if I'm confident in my skills and I've been in the program for a year or two, you gotta come take my minutes... another example Javin and Jack. May not be the best players, but they played loads of minutes. EVERYONE CANT BE THE SUPERSTARS.

My favorite quote is "In a competitive sport, never be afraid of Competition". Plus the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

There was a reason 42 division one schools were interested in Goldwire and I guarantee his scoring ability was not one of them. His defense and solid ability to run the point are. To me Goldwire came, he saw and went way beyond anyone’s expectations as a three star brought in to play behind Duval .

Spin it any way you want to. I did not blame Goldwire for the losses. My point is that had we had a more qualified point guard who could defend as well as shoot and pass well, Duke would have been better off than it was with having just Roach and Goldwire. However, given that situation, we were clearly better off with Goldwire than we would have been without him. No one disputes that Goldwire gave everything he had. And, given the definition of "integral" which you have provided, I agree that Goldwire's presence next year could be "integral" and of some benefit to the team and that his experience and leadership might be needed, especially if the point guard situation does not improve. Next year we will see whether and how much he is actually missed. You give yourself too much credibility if you believe that my feelings were really "hurt" by your choice of words. I responded to your post primarily because I believe that when a poster's comments, like yours, tend to be rude and condescending, I have the right to call him or her out for it.

OFC

No but you did insinuate if goldwire didn’t play so much we probably would’ve made the tournament. However you didn’t realize we would’ve made the tournament last year and he played only 4 minutes more this year as opposed to last year.

Bro we now have two guards on the roster. One who’s a soph ( still young) but experienced and another who’s lowly rated and a freshman. And you think a veteran guard “might” be needed? Even if we get a transfer guard, he’s still new to the program.

you’re the one who said “ before I get beyond my hurt feelings” 🤷🏽‍♂️

I don’t know how I was rude or condescending either on the first post . Because I said your opinion was absurd? I still don’t know how you can argue that a semi high 3 star guard would put goldwire on the bench. A skilled guy like kyrie Irving or tre Jones? Sure, that makes sense. But Blake’s? he’s higher than j gold coming out of high school but he’s no stud guard either.

Reactions: christophero
We do need Roach to make a big jump this year. Every year we say things like "Player X is a facilitator, we play positionless basketball" we end the year saying we really need a true point guard. These freshman just aren't going to be senior year Grant Hill type playmakers. Blakes could help us but he may be a year away. 5-8 minutes a game sounds right for him. Steward is a big loss.

Last edited:
Reactions: ioliva
We do need Roach to make a big jump this year. Every year we say things like "Player X is a facilitator, we play positionless basketball" we end the year saying we really need a true point guard. These freshman just aren't going to be senior year Grant Hill type playmakers. Blakes could help us but he may be a year away. 5-8 minutes a game sounds right for him. Steward is a big loss.
think we get keels if dj stayed?

Getting back to Blakes the NBA is full of solid and good players that were not 5 stars coming out of high school. Glad to have him in thr brotherhood. OFC
On the same note, Baylors backcourt this past year was loaded with 4 star guys ranked in the bottom quarter of the espn top 100 3 years ago. Very excited to have this kid at Duke.

GT beat us this year with a bunch of 4 stars. Wasn't Alvarado a 4 year starter for them?

GT beat us this year with a bunch of 4 stars. Wasn't Alvarado a 4 year starter for them?
4-star players are pretty good. Can’t get rated much higher. In any event, how relevant is a college senior’s rating when he was in high school?

Oh, I am not complaining about our way. Just saying let's not judge a recruit's future based solely on his ranking.
Which is kinda what you did.

My intention was to give kudos to the GT kids, not to dis our kids or our recruiting habits at all. Additionally, if those kids can perform at that level, so too might Blakes.
Some kids lack certain measurables that lead to high rankings, but just have a knack for the game and or are more determined to improve. The comments that Blakes' coach made about him lead me to hope that Blakes will outperform his ranking like several kids on GT did.
We didn't play poorly that game. GT played well and got the W.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT