ADVERTISEMENT

Is Zion Williamson the most dominant player in NCAA History?

This team has a bit of a Beatles aura, much like in 92. I've noticed more Duke fans at our road games this year, and you have several people showing up just to watch this team. You can see it in the fan reactions just like that one or in pregame warmups. If games start to get too out of hand, the crowds can seem to shift to Zion watching vs cheering for their own team.

Reactions: QC Dukie
OCql2I.gif

...and keep dominating so we can all keep doing this...

pq3l4Y.gif

This team has a bit of a Beatles aura, much like in 92. I've noticed more Duke fans at our road games this year, and you have several people showing up just to watch this team. You can see it in the fan reactions just like that one or in pregame warmups. If games start to get too out of hand, the crowds can seem to shift to Zion watching vs cheering for their own team.

Definitely the closest comparison in terms of aura surrounding a team. I’m sure some wouldn’t want to compare it to that team, but it’s obvious.

Definitely the closest comparison in terms of aura surrounding a team. I’m sure some wouldn’t want to compare it to that team, but it’s obvious.
For sure wasn't comparing the 2 for proven talent, players, or anything like that. Just the same type of must see tv, or people lining up outside of events just to see the team.

This is a great team, but its core still full of freshmen that haven't yet won a championship. 92 is one of the all time teams with multiple proven All Americans and back to back champions. Would love nothing more than this year to end the same way 92 did though :)

Reactions: dukehokie
For sure wasn't comparing the 2 for proven talent, players, or anything like that. Just the same type of must see tv, or people lining up outside of events just to see the team.

This is a great team, but its core still full of freshmen that haven't yet won a championship. 92 is one of the all time teams with multiple proven All Americans and back to back champions. Would love nothing more than this year to end the same way 92 did though :)

I’m with you. The exposure is at an all time high. It’s crazy the life these kids lead.

Sorry to burst everyone’s bubble but I was perusing RR and apparently PJ Washington is the best player in the country this year.
SMDH, just when you start to think they can't get any dumber, they let you down. Some of the comments in that thread can't be from real, live human beings, with an ounce of common sense. Unbelievable!

No, but he might be the most dominant freshman since Durant. And if he keeps improving he may surpass Durant. Not sure if Notre Dame is that weak in the frontcourt but Zion looked like Larry Johnson.

I just read that home town Wofford offered Zion when he was 16---as a 6'1" point guard!

Reactions: WoCoDukie
Also, his mother ran track in college and his biological father, Lateef, was recruited to play on the line in football by NC State. His step father, Lee Anderson, played basketball at Clemson. His background includes good genes from his parents and good coaching from his mother (a basketball coach) and his step dad.

Legitimate question, is Zion the most dominant Freshman ever? I think that helps to put a little perspective on the overall question.

Reactions: christophero
Legitimate question, is Zion the most dominant Freshman ever? I think that helps to put a little perspective on the overall question.
That question becomes harder to answer with every game. Zion seems to be improving which is a little scary. 4 that come to mind are Durant, Ewing and Ralph Sampson, and Chris Jackson at LSU.

This is from a Ball Durham article (https://balldurham.com/2019/02/05/duke-basketball-zion-storybook-play/)

Williamson ranks among the top three in the NCAA — nearly 5,000 players spanning 353 teams — in the following 10 advanced metrics:

• 1st in win shares per 40 minutes (.375), which is on pace to be the highest mark since the stat’s debut during the 2009-10 season
  • 3rd in win shares (5.6)
  • 1st in box plus/minus (21.3)
  • 1st in offensive box plus/minus (13.3)
  • 3rd in offensive rating (136.4)
  • 3rd in defensive rating (82.3)
  • 1st in player efficiency rating (42.6), which is on pace to be the highest mark since the stat’s debut during the 2009-10 season
  • 3rd in field goal percentage (68.7)
  • 1st in effective field goal percentage (70.9)
  • 3rd in 2-point field goal percentage (75.8)
Meanwhile, he ranks among the top five in the ACC in the following five simple metrics:

• 2nd in points per game (22.3), trailing only his fellow freshman teammate, R.J. Barrett(23.3)
  • 3rd in rebounds per game (9.0)
  • 1st in offensive rebounds per game (3.6)
  • 3rd in steals per game (2.1)
  • 5th in blocks per game (2.0)

Reactions: LTDukeFan
This is from a Ball Durham article (https://balldurham.com/2019/02/05/duke-basketball-zion-storybook-play/)

Williamson ranks among the top three in the NCAA — nearly 5,000 players spanning 353 teams — in the following 10 advanced metrics:

• 1st in win shares per 40 minutes (.375), which is on pace to be the highest mark since the stat’s debut during the 2009-10 season
  • 3rd in win shares (5.6)
  • 1st in box plus/minus (21.3)
  • 1st in offensive box plus/minus (13.3)
  • 3rd in offensive rating (136.4)
  • 3rd in defensive rating (82.3)
  • 1st in player efficiency rating (42.6), which is on pace to be the highest mark since the stat’s debut during the 2009-10 season
  • 3rd in field goal percentage (68.7)
  • 1st in effective field goal percentage (70.9)
  • 3rd in 2-point field goal percentage (75.8)
Meanwhile, he ranks among the top five in the ACC in the following five simple metrics:

• 2nd in points per game (22.3), trailing only his fellow freshman teammate, R.J. Barrett(23.3)
  • 3rd in rebounds per game (9.0)
  • 1st in offensive rebounds per game (3.6)
  • 3rd in steals per game (2.1)
  • 5th in blocks per game (2.0)
Careful, some of our rivals have a hard time dealing with facts.

Reactions: QC Dukie
Zion is right up there for sure. One guy I forgot about was Wayman Tisdale. He averaged around 30 a game if I recall. He also had a backwards alley oop, which is something I don't recall ever seeing in a halfcourt set. He was insanely good. So was Keith Lee of Memphis. Okay that's two guys. And Patrick Ewing was just scary. My memory only goes back to the early 80's.

I do think that it is hard to compare players that played in different eras. Just like it being hard to compare Willie Mays to Babe Ruth or Sandy Koufax to Greg Maddux. Comparing Zion to Alcindor or David Thompson isn't easy but, I do think Zion definitely could be one of the greatest ever, barring injury or anything else to set him back, Just as there is only one Alcindor, Wilt, Russell, Oscar, West or Jordan, I think that Zion will be the first and only Zion in a positive way.

Reactions: skysdad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT