ADVERTISEMENT

Immediate Reactions

And that, good sir, is how teams can negate our recruiting advantage. I really wish my alma mater won today. They came close to knocking off U Conn.
Even with The Dream Team Class coming in, we're going to be painfully young next year. As long as K hovers, Jon will feel indebted to K. We'll continue to chase five stars in the top 20, maybe try and maintain a few for sophs, and transfers of SIGNIFICANCE will go elsewhere.

I am still 100% behind John: I am shocked people want him out. However whiffing in the portal for a big really bit this Duke team in the butt. Also two slow starts against our arch rival, and lack of prep for State are red flags. Rumors persist among my "Iron Duke" friends, Flip is a locker room "problem." Please don't kill messenger.

OFC

Rumors persist among my "Iron Duke" friends, Flip is a locker room "problem." Please don't kill messenger.

OFC
I could easily see Flip being a locker room problem based on how he acts sometimes when things don’t seem to go his way. I noticed an exchange between him and Stewart in the State game. Stewart didn’t seem to respond well when Flip was getting on him. It might have been nothing, but damn Flip whines too much and comes across as a primodonna.

Even with The Dream Team Class coming in, we're going to be painfully young next year. As long as K hovers, Jon will feel indebted to K. We'll continue to chase five stars in the top 20, maybe try and maintain a few for sophs, and transfers of SIGNIFICANCE will go elsewhere.

I am still 100% behind John: I am shocked people want him out. However whiffing in the portal for a big really bit this Duke team in the butt. Also two slow starts against our arch rival, and lack of prep for State are red flags. Rumors persist among my "Iron Duke" friends, Flip is a locker room "problem." Please don't kill messenger.

OFC
Great Response Hart. I'm not in the locker room, so I don't know. I will say based on body language, and occasional play, Flip may not need to be the voice.

Did that take you all morning to come up with?

Pretty intelligent if you ask me 😂

I hadn't heard that about Flip but it would explain some things if true. Maybe freshman don't want to hear about it from a sophomore. Who knows.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
This team reminds me of the Parker/Hood led team. There are moments some guys are more concerned about next year.

That team couldn’t guard well. And that surprised folks given the talent but it was a donut team. Marshal Plumlee was really the only big.

But the forwards were so plentiful with Parker/Jefferson/Hood/Ojeleye/Hairston, I think many of us thought that they could overcome not having the traditional 6’10/6’11 quality bigs. That wasn’t the case.

1999 wasn’t a big team by any means. Elton Brand was lucky to be 6’8 with his shoes on. But the power and strength was tremendous.

Last edited:
I can’t speak for St. John’s, but UConn’s roster is hardly old by today’s standards. Newton is 23, Karaban is 21, Castle and Stewart are 19, Diarra is 23 (as of tomorrow), Clingan is 20, and Johnson is 21.

Cormac Ryan is older than all those players. He’s older than anyone in the last two NBA drafts and older than six 2024 NBA all-stars.

I could easily see Flip being a locker room problem based on how he acts sometimes when things don’t seem to go his way. I noticed an exchange between him and Stewart in the State game. Stewart didn’t seem to respond well when Flip was getting on him. It might have been nothing, but damn Flip whines too much and comes across as a primodonna.
'91 that makes two of us at least who saw it. I think it was Flip getting on Sean for dropping a GREAT PASS(yet maybe a little tough to handle) from Flip for a lay-in.

I really like Kyle. Handles media so calmly and intelligently. Like you '91, I can see him as a loose cannon as well.

OFC

Reactions: dukesince91
I could see the Flip rumor. I have no info, but the eye test tells me something is off with Proctor. It doesn’t appear he’s having much fun. And you can count on one hand how many games he’s looked really good, and playing with any swag.

And some of our better basketball was played while Proctor was out.

Reactions: Neue Regel
Battier is my favorite Duke player, along with Brand. But he wasn't really Battier until his junior year. Nowadays top 10 guys rarely stick around that long. Battier his first two years was a bit like Mitchell, although maybe more consistent. Although Battier had the fundamentals down, and hit his free throws.
Will Avery will be disappointed. I always thought he was numero uno

Reactions: christophero
Duke Nation has analyzed, debated, scratched our heads, etc. etc. trying to figure out the 2023/2024 Duke Blue Devils. As we all (along with pollsters and pundits) saw a legit top 5 team going into the season.

You go 27-9 with frosh and injuries, lose two guys but only one key starter. Had everything else work out in the off-season. No transfers, the three starting frosh return AND, despite sweating the decision as Jeremy tested the waters, we get a very good guard returning for his senior campaign. A guy who has had big career moments in a Final Four run, ACC championship run. Etc.

Injuries have occurred but imo other than not having two starters for the home game vs Pittsburgh. The injuries were very manageable. Proctor’s came early in December. With Caleb out, you start Proctor in his place. (Woe is us!).

Most of us have felt they will “get there” eventually. That those returnees were gonna step it up a notch beyond their freshmen season. We thought it was headed there with the blowout at Pitt only to get knocked back into reality after. We thought with the (shockingly easy) dismantling of Virginia at home that the corner had been turned. Back to reality in Winston-Salem. Despite the league sucking, Duke put a stop to anticipated court stormings by winning at some of their recent “trap game” arenas. Won @Miami, @FSU, @NCSU.

Corner turned!? Unc-chapel hill branch said nope. Despite a better performance from Duke than in chapel hill, another of unc’s 30 year old portal players has the game of his life while Duke did an excellent job on the other unc players defensively. Then the big fat egg Thurs.

I’ve read all the debates everywhere. Is it effort?? defense? Chemistry? Coaching? do they get along? Is there one key answer we are missing to this whole puzzle OR were they just never going to be that good? I don’t fully subscribe to the idea that they were never going to be that good.

The thing that keeps jumping out at me is I just don’t think that Jeremy Roach and Tyrese Proctor have been as good as they needed to be this year for this team to make serious noise. Also our 4 cannot bring the perimeter skills to the table that other teams 4’s can. And there is still a very young head Coach. I’m not sure I have ever seen the ACC this bad and for Duke to even have six league losses (5 RS, 1 ACCT) is telling. And that’s also why I’m somewhat skeptical of unc chapel hill branch‘s chances in the tournament unless they get a really favorable bracket. They dropped 3 league games and could have lost several others. I’m afraid they won’t get to play ACC teams in the NCAA tournament.

Back to Duke, we’re all of varying ages on here, but I’m sure most of us have an example/memory of a Duke team that maybe didn’t have great momentum do some damage in the tournament. But one just doesn’t “feel it” with this group. Does anyone have that? That at this late stage a run could happen? I wouldn’t have any confidence even if they had the most favorable region ever created. Many crazier things have certainly happened in the world though than a Duke team full of Mickey D’s winning 3-4 games in the NCAA Tournament. (Shrug)

Last edited:
Reactions: The_Only_Blue
Too late...the horse has left the barn..this needed to happen after the first loss to the Cheats...trying to adjust before an elimination tournament is clutching at straws...and says a lot about what the team thinks of JS's stewardship.

Jeremy needs to do a Phil Henderson outburst ala the 1990 ACC tournament post game when he said there were a bunch of “F babies” etc. on the team. Somehow they went on to go 5-1 in the tournament. But we also didn’t know at the time either that two of the greatest players ever to play at Duke and in College period were on that team. (Laettner-Soph and Hurley-Frosh)

Reactions: denverexpat
Too late...the horse has left the barn..this needed to happen after the first loss to the Cheats...trying to adjust before an elimination tournament is clutching at straws...and says a lot about what the team thinks of JS's stewardship.
I’ve always respected your views, but I disagree. Maybe it doesn’t help, but one thing for sure is it can’t hurt. With how we’ve looked lately, many think we may not get out of the first weekend.

So I say talk it out boys. Crazier things have happened. Sulaimon in 2015.

I’ve always respected your views, but I disagree. Maybe it doesn’t help, but one thing for sure is it can’t hurt. With how we’ve looked lately, many think we may not get out of the first weekend.

So I say talk it out boys. Crazier things have happened. Sulaimon in 2015.

Maybe...I'm happy to be wrong if it means a deeper run into the tournament!

There has always been a disconnect on this team .
I mentioned earlier which ever one returns ( Proctor or Foster) thrive with next years team. Proctor is over thinking way too much and it’s hurting his game . He also needs a lob threat .
I do think the team can right the ship but I’m not sure they have the mentality to.

Someone on Devil's Den said "every single player on this team is a wildcard." I think that sums it up perfectly. Flip and Roach are the two most consistent, but even they are volatile. That said, this team is capable of making a sweet 16/elite eight type run if things come together and the match ups are right. Right now it doesn't seem likely, but stranger things have happened. Elite Eight would be a pretty good result for this team, but I'm thinking sweet 16/round of 32.

Reactions: Neue Regel
I think we’ve all been wanting to see balance, instead of like most of the teams the last several seasons.
We have that, but this team, as we’ve mentioned plenty of times, just plays with low energy and toughness.

Hoping for a major turnaround in attitude after the players meeting.

I have not posted this before because I knew it would not be well received from a UNC fan, but since the can of worms has been opened. I have very good friends who are Iron Duke’s, & they tell me Filipowski is a terrible teammate. Not trying to stir anything up, just relaying info I get from your side of the tracks.

• Haha
Reactions: JimboSlice00
That's a shame if true. I'm not sure what a coach can do if players don't like each other; other than ask them to leave it off the court. The coaches are not in locker rooms most of the time unless it's a game. UNC had this issue last year.

I have not posted this before because I knew it would not be well received from a UNC fan, but since the can of worms has been opened. I have very good friends who are Iron Duke’s, & they tell me Filipowski is a terrible teammate. Not trying to stir anything up, just relaying info I get from your side of the tracks.
I suppose I'd want to know the context...

For instance, is he just a self-centered jerk?

Or is it similar to Christian/Bobby where the alpha is trying to toughen the younger guys because he knows that they have another level inside of them that they can reach?

If the former, then shame on him!

would not surprise me....recruiting 5 star alphas in HS and then asking them to play a role they dont wont to isnt a recipe for success...only creates conflict...I worry about that every year when we get the #1 class who expect to be the focal point of our offense even as a freshman.. we have the same issue next year...how will JS solve that?

I have not posted this before because I knew it would not be well received from a Duke fan, but since the can of worms has been opened. I have very good friends who are Rams Club members, & they tell me RJ Davis steals his teammates Jockstraps and sniffs them. Not trying to stir anything up, just relaying info I get from your side of the tracks.

You may have trolled and stumbled onto a kernel of truth. He may be trying to be a Laettner type. Only thing is you have to be really good to pull that sh off.

I think if Auburn or Illinois losses today Duke could have a shot at a 3 seed. I think Duke should have one over Auburn anyways with their horrible Quad 1 record of 2-7.

I will be keeping a close eye on who our second round opponent is. I think we are a 4. Decent shot at a 3, but we certainly did not close the season well. Hoping for a 3. USA today has us as a 3 FWIW. NC State winning makes that loss look better. I think Foster being out has exposed our lack of depth, but I still think Blakes could have provided a few minutes. We looked tired against NC State.

Last edited:
And probably true of Roach as well!
All of that may be true, but how does Duke adjust? We discuss the need for upperclassmen, but does mean those who have stayed in our program or elsewhere? The portal started yesterday...it's getting crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT