ADVERTISEMENT

Immediate Reactions

My observation is we seem to struggle when we face teams as talented as us, or close to it. We don't seem to have a plan B when plan A doesn't work. And our offense is very predictable. I wouldn't mind taking lumps this year if most of our guys return. But a first weekend exit followed by a mass exodus would be hard to take and would leave me very discouraged.

But who in this horrible conference this year is as talented as Duke other than unc-chapel hill branch?

Not sure we have the talent, having to play 3 guards, forcing Fip to play center with only one forward. OFC

Sean Stewart is a forward and he looked pretty darn good at the game I attended in Raleigh. And then there is the starting forward Mitchell. Bad shooter, but does a lot of things well. But you just don’t get consistency with these players. Four starters come back but how many games would you say at least three of them really played well on the same night?

Reactions: christophero
Maybe it’s good we lost. This team doesn’t play well as the favorite.

We will definitely be the underdogs if we get through two rounds. That’s a big if…..but everything after we will be supposed to lose.

It may actually help this team….
Not sure where the data is that we are better as underdogs. Believe we were dogs twice this year: @ UNC @ Wake….and we lost both of those. @ UNC we were lucky to keep it fairly competitive but never led.

Your analysis of the Cheats in 2022 is correct, but does not apply in 2021 and 2023. OFC

I was basing it off of the two years Davis and Jon have coached against one another. I thought that was what you were talking about. If we're going to head to head with these two I think Jon has looked better. This year has been disappointing but we never dropped out of the top 25 and we won't be turning down an NIT bid after being lauded before the season starts like they were last season.

Yeah Coach K was 2021 year against Coach Davis. Can’t count that year against Coach Scheyer. Plus Duke had a better record in 2021 but UNC made it to the Finals and Duke to the Final Four.

Not sure where the data is that we are better as underdogs. Believe we were dogs twice this year: @ UNC @ Wake….and we lost both of those. @ UNC we were lucky to keep it fairly competitive but never led.

The interesting and aggravating thing about that Wake Forest game is that the line never moved. All week Vegas (and some pundits) had Duke losing that game. Like it was just absolutely predetermined and Duke certainly did not disappoint them. 🤦🏻‍♂️, And Wake is just not a very good team, but they can put some points on the board. Deacs lost three in a row after that game and closed losing 4/6 after the Duke Orgasm they had.

Reactions: DukeMan1986
Sean Stewart is a forward and he looked pretty darn good at the game I attended in Raleigh. And then there is the starting forward Mitchell. Bad shooter, but does a lot of things well. But you just don’t get consistency with these players. Four starters come back but how many games would you say at least three of them really played well on the same night?
The answer is that if you have 3 guards and a center on the floor at one time, there is room for only one forward, who happens to be Mitchell at the time. I am aware that Stewart is a forward and plays when there are only 2 guards on the floor. OFC

If there is a players only meeting called for when they return as some one mentioned then for sakes let someone get into someone’s face ! Flip did it a couple times this year . Play with some pride for the name on the jersey and can I get one damn floor slap on defense in the tourney ?

The answer is that if you have 3 guards and a center on the floor at one time, there is room for only one forward, who happens to be Mitchell at the time. I am aware that Stewart is a forward and plays when there are only 2 guards on the floor. OFC
I would've been satisfied with Mitchel and Stewart playing together with Flip being a stretch 5. Mitchell and Stewart's defense is can work.

Reactions: Devilinside
If there is a players only meeting called for when they return as some one mentioned then for sakes let someone get into someone’s face ! Flip did it a couple times this year . Play with some pride for the name on the jersey and can I get one damn floor slap on defense in the tourney ?

Players only meeting should include select former players who would kick their A$$

J Will at the half of the BC/UVA game let his opinion known. Something like he was bothered that none of the players seemed to play with any anger. He didn't question Jon like many (me too) here are, but definitely didn't like the body language the players are showing. He sounds like we do.

Last edited:
I would've been satisfied with Mitchel and Stewart playing together with Flip being a stretch 5. Mitchell and Stewart's defense is can work.

The complication though is that unlike so many great Duke forwards of the past, neither has perimeter skills. No Battier, Tatum, Singler etc. Unfortunately, the big forward with perimeter skills transferred to Chapel Hill this year from Stanford. And then that 25 year old Craigslist Dunleavy joined him from Notre Dame. (C Ryan).

Reactions: Devilinside
J Will at the half of the BC/UVA game let his opinion known. Something like he was bothered that none of the players seemed to play with any anger. He didn't question Jon like many (me too) here are, but definitely didn't like the body language the players are showing. He sounds like we do.
JWill has questioned both Jon and the players several times this season and has really let it be known about his worries with Duke basketball at this stage .
It was a couple games back during a break JWill was speechless about how the team was playing to the point he would not talk to Greenburg at all .

JWill has questioned both Jon and the players several times this season and has really let it be known about his worries with Duke basketball at this stage .
It was a couple games back during a break JWill was speechless about how the team was playing to the point he would not talk to Greenburg at all .

I’m telling you get him on the sideline next to jon

I’m telling you get him on the sideline next to jon
He might snatch Jon up by the collar and tell him some truth he don’t want to hear .
It’s a new season starting Sunday but this team needs to bring it . I don’t think not one team at this point is worried about having Duke in their bracket .

This team reminds me of the Parker/Hood led team. There are moments some guys are more concerned about next year.

Whoa whoa whoa wait a minute… are you implying these kids are… soft?!?
The new generation generally doesn't respond to how things were done before. Different times, for better or worse. Battier was a hard ass too. But differently, I think kids would be okay with his approach. Do I think these kids are soft? No. They've lacked toughness at times, but so has just about every other kid playing sports today. Are they all soft, then?

Reactions: jamsession2
Did anybody watch the UConn/St John’s game? Pitino and Hurley are both ball busters on their players. But they get results.
commented in the "other games" thread. It was a great game to watch as a neutral. Both teams played with intensity and Uconn was well coached on both ends. The look-ins to the huddles were good too, watching the coaches approaches and what they told their team

The new generation generally doesn't respond to how things were done before. Different times, for better or worse. Battier was a hard ass too. But differently, I think kids would be okay with his approach. Do I think these kids are soft? No. They've lacked toughness at times, but so has just about every other kid playing sports today. Are they all soft, then?
This depends on what type of kids you recruit. Duke wants to maintain a high level of integrity and class, however, you can add an 'edge' to that profile as well. It the recruiting team that seek out those kids and can speak their language.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Did anybody watch the UConn/St John’s game? Pitino and Hurley are both ball busters on their players. But they get results.
Do you realize how old their players are? Outside of Grandison, Theo and Young, when was the last time Duke had teams(majority of players) made up players 22 years and older?

Last edited:
Battier is my favorite Duke player, along with Brand. But he wasn't really Battier until his junior year. Nowadays top 10 guys rarely stick around that long. Battier his first two years was a bit like Mitchell, although maybe more consistent. Although Battier had the fundamentals down, and hit his free throws.

Last edited:
Do you realize how old their players are? Outside of Grandison, Theo and Young, when was the last time Duke had teams(majority of players) made up players 22 years and older?
And that, good sir, is how teams can negate our recruiting advantage. I really wish my alma mater won today. They came close to knocking off U Conn.

And that, good sir, is how teams can negate our recruiting advantage. I really wish my alma mater won today. They came close to knocking off U Conn.
St. Johns was 1 minute away from beating UConn. Their issue was chemistry. Team has only known each other for 6 months.

Last edited:
Reactions: christophero
I can’t speak for St. John’s, but UConn’s roster is hardly old by today’s standards. Newton is 23, Karaban is 21, Castle and Stewart are 19, Diarra is 23 (as of tomorrow), Clingan is 20, and Johnson is 21.

St. Johns was 1 minute away from beating UConn. Their issue was chemistry. Team has only known each other for 6 months.
Wasnt that close...the score is deceiving...Uconn was never in trouble...up 11 or so with a minute ish to play..usual close out sequence makes it look closer

Good short video clip up on twitter from The Winning Difference.

It’s Hurley and UCONN and a quick video on Championship Culture.

Hard to watch that and see the stark differences between the energy and fire between him and Scheyer and think we can compete with him.

Good short video clip up on twitter from The Winning Difference.

It’s Hurley and UCONN and a quick video on Championship Culture.

Hard to watch that and see the stark differences between the energy and fire between him and Scheyer and think we can compete with him.
Why don't you join their message board.....

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT