ADVERTISEMENT

Hurt to the NBA

Are you serious? FIBA play has even less defense then the league and has no one seen their front courts? More then half the players are of Hurts build. As far as build goes. No one bangs down low in the league everyone wants to be a shooter. Hurts high release alone is enough for teams to look at .
So you think he has a career in the NBA?

It’s insane that guys like hurt have to Take a second round draft pick because theres this stigma that they can’t improve anymore or up their draft stock but guys at other schools do it all the time. Is it really that hurt can’t improve his draft stock or duke can’t get him there.
As K has said umpteen times, everyone runs their own race. Some develop early, others develop late. Some never develop to their potential. It's up to the individual mostly. The school can only give them the chance.

As K has said umpteen times, everyone runs their own race. Some develop early, others develop late. Some never develop to their potential. It's up to the individual mostly. The school can only give them the chance.

Damn you really make every excuse for coach k in the book huh? 😂

Damn you really make every excuse for coach k in the book huh? 😂
Hey, I love to blame my own personal failures on other people as much as possible. But at some point you need to take a good look at yourself. 😂

Hurt doesn’t have the foot speed to be a defender in the NBA and defense is crucial at that level.
He has a good shot and if he can comfortably shoot from there he has a shot but he would have to add a lot of muscle to his frame and defend and rebound inside to really make a difference. He plays more like a tall SF and not a physical PF. Nor a long quick PF.

He is most likely going to be in the minors or over seas or possibly catch on as an off the bench, marginal player somewhere. If he shoots the lights out.

Hey, I love to blame my own personal failures on other people as much as possible. But at some point you need to take a good look at yourself. 😂

guess every single coach in America’s problem always comes down to the players. Sometimes that’s true, but you’re kidding yourself if you can’t see that dukes overall player development has been
terrible the past few years. I’m sure there have been a few guys not putting in the work needed. The trend reveals a deeper problem though. Even Clint Jackson has stated in the past that dukes player development had been lacking.

It’s insane that guys like hurt have to Take a second round draft pick because theres this stigma that they can’t improve anymore or up their draft stock but guys at other schools do it all the time. Is it really that hurt can’t improve his draft stock or duke can’t get him there.
You can blame the NBA for that stigma. They hate drafting guys over the age of 20 for some reason. Like a 22 year old has maxed out his prime.

guess every single coach in America’s problem always comes down to the players. Sometimes that’s true, but you’re kidding yourself if you can’t see that dukes overall player development has been
terrible the past few years. I’m sure there have been a few guys not putting in the work needed. The trend reveals a deeper problem though. Even Clint Jackson has stated in the past that dukes player development had been lacking.
To me it’s a double edged sword. I also think the whole “Develop” thing is beyond crazy. To me, sure, college coaches help in development, but these guys now all have private trainers. So do we take credit for that when it’s Matt Hurt? Or is it Matt putting in the work? It’s just not as black and white as we want to make it.

To me it’s a double edged sword. I also think the whole “Develop” thing is beyond crazy. To me, sure, college coaches help in development, but these guys now all have private trainers. So do we take credit for that when it’s Matt Hurt? Or is it Matt putting in the work? It’s just not as black and white as we want to make it.
Agree. With covid, this year means little as far as the trajectory of the program or if anyone wants to argue that coach k has lost a step. Sure there have been times I didn’t feel we had the best assistants in developing, big guys especially, but overall the past ten years or so these guys aren’t here long enough to really develop. Hurt made dramatic improvements this year. I feel like Baker just tightens up during the games, but I don’t know if you can pin this on the coaches. Maybe a couple shots of tequila before the game would help

Baker would probably see 2 rims if he drank, so he'd have a 50 percent chance. I agree he tightens up in games. Remember how good he looked in the scrimmage? He looked like our best player. Granted there was no defense in that game. I've heard he shoots very well in practice.

Baker would probably see 2 rims if he drank, so he'd have a 50 percent chance. I agree he tightens up in games. Remember how good he looked in the scrimmage? He looked like our best player. Granted there was no defense in that game. I've heard he shoots very well in practice.
True. I’m not a shot doctor but his technique looks sound to me. I’d like to get to a game live so I could watch him warm up. Bet he’s got the best shot on the team before tipoff esp now with hurt gone Starting to remind me of jack white re his jump shot

I agree it's mental with Joey, just as it was with AOC. A really good shooter like Joey should not miss as badly as he does sometimes, unless he's pressing. For example, Buddy Boeheim very rarely misses by much it seems.

I agree it's mental with Joey, just as it was with AOC. A really good shooter like Joey should not miss as badly as he does sometimes, unless he's pressing. For example, Buddy Boeheim very rarely misses by much it seems.
Lift, I think the Joey-AOC comparison per the mental aspect is spot-on.

OFC

I doubt Joey airballs wide open corner shots in practice. I know he can shoot it. I agree with so many- he's simply tight and nervous generally during his in-game appearances. Obviously this comes from that inner voice: "you're only in until you make a mistake," or basically words to that effect. Here's hoping he can put that mindset behind him this year- if he returns. OFC

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT