ADVERTISEMENT

Hurt to the NBA

If Hurt had returned to Duke, I would have questioned what advice he is getting. I really think Grayson's unfortunate junior season influenced Kennard and now Hurt. And Duke recruited in a way that expected Hurt to leave.

Good luck Matthew--you gave us all you had.

I was hoping for a return but I wish him well and thank you for returning for a second year. Now let's get Baldwin. We can still be good but our superteam is getting less super by the week. We need to add another good player or two. Baldwin or a good transfer. We lost Brakefield as well. We've now lost 5 guys from last year's team. 4 rotation guys.

Last edited:
Was he really thinking about staying? If this was a forgone conclusion, rip the band-aid off...

Hopefully the new guys can shoot, because we just lost our two best shooters from last year. This is where Baldwin could help.

Really important for us that Keels has a good year from 3 and a consistent year from 3. Roach needs to be more consistent from 3 as well. Supposedly, Blakes is good from 3. That would be huge for a 10 min a game backup at the point. Sounds weird, but a good 3 and D from Blakes would make him very valuable on this team.

Reactions: christophero
Matthew nothing but the best as you move forward. I think you're making the right move because you were the absolute centerpiece of the offense this season. You made THE MOST of it,and might not have been quite as featured next year with the stronger recruiting class. #GoGetEm

OFC

You seem upset
I am. I been a Duke fan long enough to remember when guys chose to return to school rather than jumping to the NBA. Moreover, I get annoyed watching players more talented return to school for multiple years. So yeah, the current landscape of college basketball isint sitting well with me

It does seem that the elite teams always have one or two guys who could have gone but chose to stay. Not lottery picks but the second round borderline projected guys. We still have one in Williams. I hope. If Williams leaves I may have to take up knitting or boats in a bottle or some other hobby. Other than Williams staying and improving another year to improve your draft stock seems to be going the way of the Brontosaurus. At least at Duke.

Last edited:
Good luck Matthew! His terrific shooting this year more or less carried Duke offensively for the bulk of the year. If he hadn't shot so well, there is no chance whatsoever Duke finishes above .500.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Getting Baldwin and that freshman PG would make me feel much better about next year. If we whiff on Baldwin and can't get another transfer body up front we're one injury away from trouble. Watching Baldwin highlights. Kid can handle and shoot. He's smooth, if thin. I like him at the 3.

Last edited:
I wonder if Baldwin or Griffin would start at the 3 if we had both? I assume in that case it would be Roach, Griffin, Baldwin, Banchero and Williams. 3 freshman and 2 sophs. Yikes. Still we need talent and shooting and Baldwin is talented.

Last edited:
Good luck for a solid career. Appreciate his time at Duke. OFC

It does seem that the elite teams always have one or two guys who could have gone but chose to stay. Not lottery picks but the second round borderline projected guys. We still have one in Williams. I hope. If Williams leaves I may have to take up knitting or boats in a bottle or some other hobby. Other than Williams staying and improving another year to improve your draft stock seems to be going the way of the Brontosaurus. At least at Duke.
“Boats in a bottle”. If it’s good enough for mark wahlberg in the Lovely Bones don’t sell it short. The look on Saiorse Ronan’s face when he tells her he wants to pass his “gift” on to her is classic

Hurt needed to stay, graduate, take his shot at Pro Ball wherever for awhile, then have a nice career in a real job.

Reactions: KDSTONE
Hurt had issues imposing himself in some games against players who were stronger, faster and the same height...welcome to the NBA. If he works on his 3pt shot I guess he could do well...has a ways to go to be an NBA body and impact player. That said, good luck to him and I hope he has a long career in hoops...somewhere...

Not to be a party pooper but we are putting a lot of faith in the defense of freshman. Still combining Roach, Williams, Baker, Coleman and Moore around a fab 4 group of freshman if we get Baldwin is exciting.

Last edited:
Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
Moore and Baker will now be the grizzled vets on next year's team.
Did you think other wise? Hurt wasn’t staying . A third year would have shown his flaws more then helping his draft stock.

Don’t think Duke gets Baldwin and if they did Coleman probably heads elsewhere given K’s preference to small ball line ups.

Wish Hurt nothing but the best.

Food for thought. You can only have five players on the court. I take that as only one spot up for grabs which is Sg. Duke lands Baldwin then Keels or Griffin head to the bench . Neither can run point and I think neither have have the intention of riding the pine either.

Hurt won't have a single advantage over other players in the NBA outside of his shot (which that slow release isn't going to play well). He just isn't going to be athletic enough IMO. I'll be cheering for him, though.

Hurt had issues imposing himself in some games against players who were stronger, faster and the same height...welcome to the NBA. If he works on his 3pt shot I guess he could do well...has a ways to go to be an NBA body and impact player. That said, good luck to him and I hope he has a long career in hoops...somewhere...

The same was said about Ingram who is still rail thin. Hurt will make money. If not in the league definitely overseas.

The same was said about Ingram who is still rail thin. Hurt will make money. If not in the league definitely overseas.
The issue is whether Hurt could improve his status if he stayed another year. Me thinks not. What we saw this year out of him is all he can offer. NBA-wise - Not much. OFC

The issue is whether Hurt could improve his status if he stayed another year. Me thinks not. What we saw this year out of him is all he can offer. NBA-wise - Not much. OFC
This is where I stood with Hurt. I’d love to have him back but didn’t think he’d improve his stock if he did. I do think he’ll have a long career overseas.

Reactions: Devilinside
I wish him the best. With that said, I’m not very optimistic on his chances for a long career in the NBA. I hope I am wrong though.

Reactions: youngman42
This is where I stood with Hurt. I’d love to have him back but didn’t think he’d improve his stock if he did. I do think he’ll have a long career overseas.
Are you serious? FIBA play has even less defense then the league and has no one seen their front courts? More then half the players are of Hurts build. As far as build goes. No one bangs down low in the league everyone wants to be a shooter. Hurts high release alone is enough for teams to look at .

Matt is doing the right thing for himself. He may never become an NBA starter, but I agree with others, his stock is as high as it was ever going to be. I hope he does great, and I'm happy he came back for his sophomore year. It would have been an even worse disaster without him.

I also think that we are just fine next year. No one should be surprised by this. In many ways, Matt coming back would've created a log jam, and I do think we improve defensively, especially with physicality.

Last edited:
So yeah, the current landscape of college basketball isint sitting well with me
It's not what it used to be, that's for sure. I wish Hurt the best though and he is going to make a lot of money playing basketball whether it's in the league or across seas. I find it hard to balme a kid for that.

It’s insane that guys like hurt have to Take a second round draft pick because theres this stigma that they can’t improve anymore or up their draft stock but guys at other schools do it all the time. Is it really that hurt can’t improve his draft stock or duke can’t get him there.

Yeah I really don't buy the argument that Hurt has maxed out his potential. He's only 20. He could get stronger, become a better defender, become more well rounded. Still I wish him well but I don't think this was a slam dunk decision. Either way could have made sense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT