ADVERTISEMENT

How did UNC move up to being the top number 2 seed?

acc hoops

Cameron Crazy
Mar 24, 2004
I know about quadrant 1 wins, SOS and getting to ACC finals.
With 10 losses how do you leap frog 8 teams ahead of you in the poll?
MSU was ranked number 4 in the last poll.
With only 4 losses and having beaten the Cheaters by 18 points you would think they would be a 2 seed.
The West has to be the easiest bracket by far.

Reactions: Dad2ze
Same reason Duke got to be a 2 seed last year. Played a really tough schedule and showed well in the ACC tourney.

FWIW, UNC did lose to MSU early after a long road stretch but beat everyone that MSU lost to.

Play a tough game or two away from home and not on a neutral site and maybe next year you’ll understand

And that would be at Tennessee for you guys? Cause we all knew Tennessee was going to be a good team when you signed to play them a few years ago...who else was your other non conference true Road game? Stanford???

Same reason Duke got to be a 2 seed last year. Played a really tough schedule and showed well in the ACC tourney.

FWIW, UNC did lose to MSU early after a long road stretch but beat everyone that MSU lost to.
Showed well? You just refuse to see the forest for the trees in front don't you? The Holes lost 10, and didn't win either regular season or tournament. We lost less than you guys last year, took 2 of 3, and won tournament. You lost to them and wofford, plus 8 more this season.
Arizona got the shaft, if we're honest. They are a 4 seed, and won their tournament. We didn't get shafted with our seed this season, but y'all caught a break, but won't admit to it.

Showed well? You just refuse to see the forest for the trees in front don't you? The Holes lost 10, and didn't win either regular season or tournament. We lost less than you guys last year, took 2 of 3, and won tournament. You lost to them and wofford, plus 8 more.
Arizona got the shaft, but typical Hole fan won't admit it. We didn't get shafted with seed this season, but y'all caught a break.
We’re just gonna have to agree to disagree.

Reactions: jeans15
He must have taken those paperless classless classes at unx. His paper on tourney seeding basics was plagiarized and Debbie Crowder gave him a B. Facts...MSU had less than half the losses unx had 4 to 10, beat unx, and won their regular season conference. It's not difficult. Well maybe it is for some.

Reactions: QC Dukie
No you’re just flat out wrong. We didn’t show well, we won it. And we beat multiple highly ranked teams on the way to do it, including you. We had two less losses than you have and didn’t even get the top two seed!
Flat wrong? You can’t see how UNC got a 2-Seed this year?

Reactions: jeans15
Flat wrong? You can’t see how UNC got a 2-Seed this year?
Don’t move goal posts, you’re better than this. Trying to compare it to us last year as the same is the issue. It’s not the same at all and you’re just trying to justify it, rather than just own it. You got a beyond favorable seeding compared to what happened to us last year and we had a much better resume than you did this year. Do you truly believe unc should have been the top 2 seed this year? Since we are comparing, shouldn’t duke have been the top two seed last year? Based on your logic? We were not. Please explain.

Don’t move goal posts, you’re better than this. Trying to compare it to us last year as the same is the issue. It’s not the same at all and you’re just trying to justify it, rather than just own it. You got a beyond favorable seeding compared to what happened to us last year and we had a much better resume than you did this year. Do you truly believe unc should have been the top 2 seed this year? Since we are comparing, shouldn’t duke have been the top two seed last year? Based on your logic? We were not. Please explain.
I don’t think I’m explaining myself clearly. Let me preface by saying that I don’t get overly worked up by seedings. It’s pretty impossible to get it right because you aren’t working from the same baseline for everyone. I could see how UNC got the top 2 seed. I would have totally understood if someone had dropped them to the top 3 seed. The committee seems to have a recipe and they are fairly consistent.

I brought up last year because there are people on this board thinking it’s incredulous that UNC is a top 2 seed. I think it’s plausible. I do think it’s a very favorable schedule for us but it’s not like UNC and Duke are that far apart. We both beat our 3 seeds in the year. Comparing any year prior isn’t really a good method because of all the variables. But there are certainly similarities that can be drawn from your year last year and ours this year.

The very fact that you're on a Duke message board defending a 10-loss UNCheat team for their extremely generous #2 seed shows even your own insecurity about them getting it.
Reaching here buddy. I’ve been traveling all week and didn’t post here or on the UNC board. Got home tonight and drinking wine and catching up. That’s it.

Carolina didn't win anything meaningful all year. They got to play one more game in the acc tournament and finish first place loser. Got every call last night and it never looked like they were gonna win.

I like how we all come together at this time of year. :)

The winner of this tournament needs to be good and lucky, just like every year. Many of the match ups we anticipate at this moment will never come to exist as upsets occur every tournament. The fact that both Duke and UNC are good works in their favor. Now, who if either of them will be lucky? Only the Gods know.

Good luck. It is truly remarkable that both our teams are in the mix year in and year out for the most part. And to add UVa from our league to the mix makes it that much better.

Reactions: kingbluedevil
I've given it some thought and think I know why UNC is a 2 seed (nearly a 1). We've been looking at the 10 losses and scratching our heads, when, in fact, they've never actually lost a game.

They've been victimized by the officials 10 times (actually more, they were able to over come it in the other games) this year. As the NCAA can't just admit that they've been out to get UNC this whole time, they decided to ignore some of the "losses" (probably Wofford) and seed UNC accordingly.

Truth be told, they should just drop the charade and hand UNC the championship trophy, that is so rightly theirs anyways. The tournament is a formality anyways. As, with square officiating, UNC will surely crush each team unfortunate enough to have to play them.

Reactions: topps coach
Kentucky has a pretty brutal draw. They have a dreaded 5/12 matchup, and then have to beat Arizona out west and #1 overall UVA just to get to the Elite 8. I bet they wished they lost today and stayed at a 6 seed so they could get something like UF’s schedule (play-in winner, TTU, and then Arkansas or Purdue) or Miami’s (Loyola chi, tennesee, and then Nevada or Cincy)

Kentucky has a pretty brutal draw. They have a dreaded 5/12 matchup, and then have to beat Arizona out west and #1 overall UVA just to get to the Elite 8. I bet they wished they lost today and stayed at a 6 seed so they could get something like UF’s schedule (play-in winner, TTU, and then Arkansas or Purdue) or Miami’s (Loyola chi, tennesee, and then Nevada or Cincy)

Its scenarios like you point out that makes me think that this year the committee didnt look past the seeding and to the eventual path teams have to take.

It's this exact scenario (ridiculousness) with UNCheat that makes me lose interest in college and pro sports as I age. The corruption and inconsistency makes me question it all.
Conspiracy theories are for UNC fans, they’re a lot more fun to read on THR than here. You’re better than that

Reactions: j_flo
UNC wins
Current rankings.

UNC losses

#1 Road
#1 Neutral
#4 Neutral
#5 Road
#19 Road
# 24 Home buzzer beater.
NC State NCAA Home
VA Tech NCAA Road
Wofford Road
Florida St. NCAA Road by 1

This is Duke. It's not rocket science why.

Reactions: ticket2ride04

People keep bringing that up, understandably. But you focus on Wofford and ignore 7 wins over the top 25.

3 top 10 wins. 22 out of their 35 games against quad 1 opponents

Just maybe you don't get all that excited by playing Wofford and I bet the selection committee thought that too.

Besides the 2 seed has been a curse to UNC.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
UNC wins
Current rankings.

UNC losses

#1 Road
#1 Neutral
#4 Neutral
#5 Road
#19 Road
# 24 Home buzzer beater.
NC State NCAA Home
VA Tech NCAA Road
Wofford Road
Florida St. NCAA Road by 1

This is Duke. It's not rocket science why.

Wofford- HOME

And that would be at Tennessee for you guys? Cause we all knew Tennessee was going to be a good team when you signed to play them a few years ago...who else was your other non conference true Road game? Stanford???
Wofford........oh wait that was at home. My bad.

UNC deserves 2 seed with their resume. We lost to UVA at home & UNC 2x, no room to complain IMO.

Listen I’m not going to sit here and rant and rave because I care more about duke than I care about what break or preferential treatment UNC got or didn’t get. I find it beyond comical that THR has a thread specific to our reaction to their seeding and claiming that this is par for the course for us and we always complain about seeding. Take the blackest pot in the world and have it make fun of the kettle because that bunch over there has been complaining every single year that they got it rough and we got it easy. Beyond comical they use that line against us.

At the end of the day they are playing really well and that is how their fans will justify their placement. Top 2 middle 2 low 2, high 3, who cares, especially for them. I am worried about Iona and finding a way through our region. Gun to my head yes they got placed above where they should, no matter how many quality wins they have, 10 losses is too many to be ahead of the teams next behind. But if they were low 2 or high 3 no one would have said much so not all that bothered. We can analyze these brackets all day but as soon as they ball goes up these regions morph into something nobody saw coming anyway so who knows. Maybe Bucknell Beats Mich St and we get a cozy path to San Antonio. Leave the conspiracy theories over at THR where they are best suited to grow.

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
UK’s resume is not very good and their seeding, and bracket, reflect it.
Not hard to understand for most fans...

Perhaps the cheaters on the Board simply need to understand that it's not a matter of us not understanding the argument, it's us not agreeing with it. Coming here to tell us that you absolutely deserve to be overseers to try to convince us of it simply isn't feasible. Just a thought.

Okay, I'll be the asshole here. Nobody here needs to be complaining about this. We played like shit and lost to unc, who we clearly should have beaten. Had we won that game , this conversation wouldn't be taking place. We take what we get, we play each game and try to win. Everybody keeps saying we can win it all, well , lets just play the hand that's dealt and move on. Right now, we've gotta beat Iona. Lets talk about that one.

Perhaps the cheaters on the Board simply need to understand that it's not a matter of us not understanding the argument, it's us not agreeing with it. Coming here to tell us that you absolutely deserve to be overseers to try to convince us of it simply isn't feasible. Just a thought.
Didn’t mean for my comment to come across like that, seems most duke fans understand how the seeding worked. UK fans, well...

WTF do we care what UNC is seeded. They beat us twice, the last time on a neutral court. I have no problem with the Cheats getting a higher seed than us. In fact, I am a little surprised that we were seeded higher than Michigan State. But taking the time to bitch about UNCheat's seeding? Really? Seriously? Come on!

Reactions: dukegrad02
For the record i don’t think most people in this thread actually cared, a few absolutely did, but most just took exception to the hot take from Ticket. That’s kind of how the thread morphed.

I don’t really give a baker’s F$&K. It’s pretty simple for me. Duke cuts down on the extra possessions that it gives teams via turnovers and offensive boards and we control our own destiny. Do those two things and i don’t see us being beat.

Step 1. Iona Thursday at 2:45pm EST. Stay tuned for step 2.

Reactions: j_flo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT