ADVERTISEMENT

Help me hate

Remember Randolph transferred? That hurt.

This was a great CBB game. Possession flying forward. Guards challenging the bigs. '99 is the headline but this game was very well played.

JJ raining threes after the Kansas debacle. He was given the last opportunity and missed short. Wasn't this the famous Coach K get in shape offseason? He turned the corner in 2005.
Randolph wasn’t the same after Mono, I swear that screwed him up. Duke should’ve finished the game either way, but I’m still pissed Okafor and Williams played a combined 41 minutes - refs didn’t allow physical play in the paint.

Randolph wasn’t the same after Mono, I swear that screwed him up. Duke should’ve finished the game either way, but I’m still pissed Okafor and Williams played a combined 41 minutes - refs didn’t allow physical play in the paint.
We played really well just lacked the floor general late. Uconn had the better PG performance in both games and I think that's Calhoun.

Ya I woulda loved to Win for example '99 for Trajan/Elton/Carrawell but then 2001 against Arizona maybe doesn't happen. Those Wildcats were absolutely loaded but we were the experienced team at that point.

Laettner's sophomore season. Great play drawn up. Huskies held this bitterness for quite a while.

I tip my hat to Uconn, it's not an easy place to recruit and they were able to regroup from Calhoun's messy exit.

I was a freshman in HS for 1999 so remember vividly and ofcourse my postername. I tried to rewatch the game a couple years ago when I was really tanked but couldn't finish it.

1998-2000 were a number of brutal eliminations. But it toughened us for the Maryland rivalry and eventual crowning.

2004 we had a really good performance. We were able to match the Huskies enormous front line. Deng was a difficult matchup and we were very balanced with 5 double digit scorers in the game. Huskies had a 12 point run late. It did seem the refs all of a sudden started to call the game tight in a game featuring alot of muscle.

Vegas lines
1999: Duke by 9.5
2004: Uconn by 2.5

But time has healed my heartbreak. Huskies and Kansas are the only teams we haven't gotten revenge on, while carrying multiple late Tourney losses.
We beat Ku in 86 semis and finals in 91 of course. Lost in 88 semis to Manning and the Miracles Big picture I’d call it a wash. UConn is our nemesis

Reactions: Alaskan_Assassin_21
Do you mean the UNC women or are you using your reference to females perjoratively? If so, can't you make your point without being demeaning to women?
I will give you the benefit of the doubt because it is unquestionably demeaning to associate all women, or any other group for that matter, with the UNCheat mens basketball team. So, I charitably read your post as tongue-in-cheek, and not as the whiny, woke attempt at serious commentary as some other posters view it.😁

OFC

‘04 was probably the most I’ve cursed during a BB game. Every big we had was in foul trouble during the pregame warmups…Okafor had some fouls too but then they just decided he won’t get a 5th, allowing him do do anything he wanted while Duke was not allowed to breathe on him…it was a total screw job.

We fell in love with the 3pt after our Bigs started fouling out. We needed Duhon/Ewing to keep driving. Today we'd completely spread the floor.

Huskies started draining 3's though. Okafor stolen rebound from Horvath. Great play. We responded scrambling at the 3point line. Duhon's last game, bet he regrets not commanding late.

Bottomline: in 2004 we were outplayed early until Okafor had to sit. Then he outplayed us late. We can't play Ref card.

Whatever. The officiating was ridiculous that game. They literally stole a championship from Duke that night.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
I've never been a fan of blaming refs for losses. Every fan base does this. I've heard Laettner should have been ejected for the foot stomp, J Will should have gotten his 4th foul when he was literally on the Arizona's player's back. It's part of the game. Not saying we don't have a case but a lot of teams do.
But if it's a whole game; like Tennessee, that is different.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT