ADVERTISEMENT

Good Artilce on the decline of UNC

My favorite quotes:

"The loss also extended a truth about the face of college basketball in the early 1980s, 1990s and 2000s: North Carolina basketball, as an institution and blueblood, feels like old news. It's a desktop in a tablet world."

"North Carolina's former success centered on three ideas: The Tar Heels were perennial national title and ACC contenders, they attracted America's top prep players and they developed NBA talent. That's not the norm today."

Ouch. The UNC faithful isn't going to like that. Add Myron Medcalf to their list of hacks. And there goes any chance he ever had of playing golf with HOF coach Roy Williams.

This line kind of struck me....

"It would magnify the idea that the program's best years have already happened, because right now, North Carolina basketball is just living off the past."

While I think that line is a little over-the-top, it's not totally false, either. All you have to look at, for example, is some of the UNC message boards. For their fans, they feel a lot of pressure to make something happen this season....because if it doesn't, UNC might not be set up to be very good for the foreseeable future. It probably only adds to the pressure for their players.

Here's my favorite line from the article:

"Reggie Bullock, a 2013 draftee, was UNC's most recent first-round selection. P.J. Hairston was sidelined by legal drama in 2013 but secured a first-pound slot in 2014 after a stint in the D-League."

Yeah, I remember PJ pounding that poor high school kid (in the summer of '14) at the YMCA. Details like this are the hallmark of topflight reporting.

OFC

Will North Carolina restore its name this season? Maybe. One run through the ACC and Big Dance would promise as much, although the ongoing NCAA drama might diminish any accomplishment.

#truth

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
Myron Medcalf for president!!

In reality this article is mildly over reacting (maybe), but those idiots cling on to anything they can ( Dan Dick's NCAA rant, the least knowledgeable Sportdcaster to walk the earth) so I'll count this article as fact just like they would.

Man I hope we sweep those softies once again

"He's blessed with elite talent but is still underachieving and losing his grip on one of the richest legacies in the game."

I think the grip was lost when the scandal broke. They can say he did or didn't know about what was going on but that literally killed the program with no way of bringing them back to where they once were. UNx will never have the elite players they used to get. His firing or resignation will be his saving grace and I think then and only then will punishment be handed down that way no one is really to blame.

Reactions: skysdad
Could turn out to be another Therapist year for Roy...

Tragedy is what it is. Just another major catastrophe that HOF Coach Roy Williams has to deal with. Just one more thing that makes him the most interesting and intriguing man in the world. OFC

Wishing for their demise is one thing....expecting is just wishful thinking.

Agreed . While I hold out a faint hop UNCheat will be hit hard by the NCAA, I don't expect anything but a slap on the wrist, if that.

Reactions: harttochesson
Heels fans I know have not enjoyed last 6 seasons & Duke's success is driving them mad. This article sums up their feelings.

Ouch. The UNC faithful isn't going to like that. Add Myron Medcalf to their list of hacks. And there goes any chance he ever had of playing golf with HOF coach Roy Williams.

This line kind of struck me....

"It would magnify the idea that the program's best years have already happened, because right now, North Carolina basketball is just living off the past."

While I think that line is a little over-the-top, it's not totally false, either. All you have to look at, for example, is some of the UNC message boards. For their fans, they feel a lot of pressure to make something happen this season....because if it doesn't, UNC might not be set up to be very good for the foreseeable future. It probably only adds to the pressure for their players.
Thanks for posting on the national board. You should post there more often, DJ!

Agreed . While I hold out a faint hop UNCheat will be hit hard by the NCAA, I don't expect anything but a slap on the wrist, if that.
Dbav and DJ you must continue to have confidence that they will fry.

Last edited:
Reactions: hpnole
Need to shut down this thread immediately big Luke just scored his first point. Now that dam has burst,I wonder if we should just forfeit our two games against them

Need to shut down this thread immediately big Luke just scored his first point. Now that dam has burst,I wonder if we should just forfeit our two games against them
Big Luke looked like a beast tonight, I meant played like a beast tonight.

This team has FF and National Title calibre talent. Frankly, I hate pieces like this because they tend to backfire. :) As soon as you write someone off they pop up and bite you. UNC has had a down stretch the last 5-6 years, but the reality is they have talent this year. Now, if they get to the elite 8 and lose (or sweet 16) and several players leave, that's when you write the article. Not right now. It's early in the season and there's a long way to go.

Dbav and DJ you must continue to have confidence that they will fry.
I think they'll fry. I posted on here a few posts back why but long story short. A friends friend works in the Athletics Dept. and there word is the NCAA is pissed that UNC withheld the latest information and they're in the works of finding enough lube when they give it to UNx

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT