ADVERTISEMENT

For what it's worth.

Debate and/or arguing is part and parcel of a message board. Its bound to happen. I think part of it as a longtime Duke fan is the changes we've seen over the last several years. The one and done growth has folks divided. I think also high expectations and subsequent failure to achieve those goals has triggered more in-fighting as well. For instance you'd be hard pressed to find many of the so-called experts who didnt have Duke in the final four the last two years.

Nonetheless I love our school, program, coach we're so lucky to have etc. I have strong views, and dont mind in the least having my views questioned. The only part that bothers me is when someone gets personal with me, and resorts to namecalling or condescension in their opposing views. Oh well, I'm done- are we still going to have the meet-up? "Food Fight!!!!" :eek: OFC
The condescending thing is what irks me. We are all grown men here. Nobody is going to take kindly to being talked down to. If somebody thinks they are so damn smart about basketball, why do they even waste their time talking to somebody who they think is “beneath them” as far as basketball knowledge goes?

Now I know nobody is going to behave 100% perfect at all times on here, but I would just say for people to think long and hard before they decide to go down the condescending road.

I hate that I even feel the need to say this whole thing about condescending behavior, but I still see the “new poster” thing being thrown around here, like that is the number 1 problem with this board. To me, that’s a cop out and just a lazy excuse. People need to look at themselves and ask themselves, how can I be better? Not just point their finger at others.

The condescending thing is what irks me. We are all grown men here. Nobody is going to take kindly to being talked down to. If somebody thinks they are so damn smart about basketball, why do they even waste their time talking to somebody who they think is “beneath them” as far as basketball knowledge goes?

Now I know nobody is going to behave 100% perfect at all times on here, but I would just say for people to think long and hard before they decide to go down the condescending road.

I hate that I even feel the need to say this whole thing about condescending behavior, but I still see the “new poster” thing being thrown around here, like that is the number 1 problem with this board. To me, that’s a cop out and just a lazy excuse. People need to look at themselves and ask themselves, how can I be better? Not just point their finger at others.

It all starts with the man in the mirror. Believe me that if this board as a whole becomes more civil and respectful to each poster then the problem will take care of it's self. If it goes the opposite direction then threads will be locked up and more good posters will leave the board and we may see the best mods around hanging it up. OFC

Reactions: GillJET
It all starts with the man in the mirror. Believe me that if this board as a whole becomes more civil and respectful to each poster then the problem will take care of it's self. If it goes the opposite direction then threads will be locked up and more good posters will leave the board and we may see the best mods around hanging it up. OFC

lol I think you're being a little extreme

Ehhh... I don’t know. I don’t see mention of new people being a cop out or lazy excuse. Instead, I think that often newer posters jump into the fray without taking the time to really get to know the people and the place, and sometimes with a certain “entitledness” so to speak, as if they “own” the forum (right or wrong) as much as someone who has posted here for a decade. That then can really ruffle the feathers of veteran posters, who see this place as a real home, who might the give a bit of attitude to the newer posters, and things fall apart a bit. Keep in mind, despite my join date, I’d put myself in the new poster category... I only started posting regularly here about two years ago, which is pretty new.

lol I think you're being a little extreme

Actually, I’m not sure he is. From what veterans here say, a number of good posters have left, precisely because of some change in tone on the forum, and some mods, who have to deal with it, might eventually say ‘Eh, I’m not enjoying this anymore.’

I just laugh at other programs downing Duke. All you REALLY have to do, is look at our overall success, how we got there and the current incoming class. Laugh on haters.
All you have to look at is Dukes away games and see the sell outs. Love or hate them people want to see Duke play.

Reactions: dbav
Ehhh... I don’t know. I don’t see mention of new people being a cop out or lazy excuse. Instead, I think that often newer posters jump into the fray without taking the time to really get to know the people and the place, and sometimes with a certain “entitledness” so to speak, as if they “own” the forum (right or wrong) as much as someone who has posted here for a decade. That then can really ruffle the feathers of veteran posters, who see this place as a real home, who might the give a bit of attitude to the newer posters, and things fall apart a bit. Keep in mind, despite my join date, I’d put myself in the new poster category... I only started posting regularly here about two years ago, which is pretty new.

Actually, I’m not sure he is. From what veterans here say, a number of good posters have left, precisely because of some change in tone on the forum, and some mods, who have to deal with it, might eventually say ‘Eh, I’m not enjoying this anymore.’

Everyone take a deep breath

Choose: Only Duke talk but low traffic vs Off-Topic but higher traffic

From my limited time on this forum - I believe we are capable of discussing "adult matters". Ultimately this is a Duke forum :: Duke brand has a certain standard. A certain class and honor.

Granted I have not read everything but I have yet to read something that was to me disrespectful or trolling.

Everyone take a deep breath

Choose: Only Duke talk but low traffic vs Off-Topic but higher traffic

From my limited time on this forum - I believe we are capable of discussing "adult matters". Ultimately this is a Duke forum :: Duke brand has a certain standard. A certain class and honor.

Granted I have not read everything but I have yet to read something that was to me disrespectful or trolling.

That is something that has always gotten to me. This is a Duke forum. Duke does have a certain standard, a certain class and honor, a certain dedication to education and discussion and logic and all. Our level of discourse SHOULD be higher than other forums, and anyone who is a Duke fan, in my opinion, should be a fan of what Duke stands for and represents beyond the basketball court.

Reactions: Canadian Dukie
It started getting a bunch of spam threads and posts, and they "had" to shut it down. Not sure how that board was affected, but not others.

Social media is a huge part I think causing this divide and bickering. The multiple hyped up recruits Duke have been landing the last two seasons have made the team the preseason #1. Some folks love the attention it brings Duke, others don't like such a high ranking based off of potential.
Then when you throw in possible elite players for the next few seasons, it only jacks things up more. It's the way it is due to the one and done, however, you don't feel like you can get to know any of the kids, and half the time we are hearing how good the next set are before they are even officially Duke players!
Some don't want to hear that Tre Jones is going to be better than Trevon Duval when Duval is still the Duke point guard. Makes it even harder to swallow when the bunch you watched in 17-18 get to the elite 8 but lose 8 games and they were going to be so much better than the 16-17 team that lost 9 games, and didn't get out of the first weekend.
This is not gloom and doom, and everyone on here really loves Duke basketball, we just don't see it the same.

I think it has to less to do with seeing it the same, and more to do with having different expectations. Your expectations on something have a huge impact on how you perceive the results. The people that don't seem so upset right now don't have a championship or bust attitude just because the world says we're the best team. It takes a lot to be able to win a championship, and some people just enjoy the ride of the season. They don't measure a season just on the last game. And they definitely don't measure their happiness on just the last game, because their expectations were different.

I think expectations are the biggest contributor to the discord seen here the last few seasons.Last year started with the loss to B.C.and snowballed from there,from team defense,to Trevon,to weather or not we were better with Marvin,to Grayson.it never let up all season,the year before it was Tatum.next years team may be our best incoming class ever,so it would be nice if we could let the season play out with a lot of good discussion and analysis(GOOD AND BAD),but try to remember that these are 18 year old kids.mistakes will be made,some of them wont live up to the hype but the bottom line is that they all chose to come to Duke so lets support them win or lose

With the talent we have had lately, I expect to win the title every year. But I also am fully aware that the odds are always against you to win the title when the tournament is played in a single elimination setting.

The NBA playoffs happening right after the tournament really have helped me get over the past 2 tournament exits. That, plus....we have the greatest recruiting class ever coming in next year and I'm already excited for the UK demolition.

With the talent we have had lately, I expect to win the title every year. But I also am fully aware that the odds are always against you to win the title when the tournament is played in a single elimination setting.

The NBA playoffs happening right after the tournament really have helped me get over the past 2 tournament exits. That, plus....we have the greatest recruiting class ever coming in next year and I'm already excited for the UK demolition.

See there's our difference. I don't expect to win the title. I hope we win the title, and we have had as good of a chance as any the last few seasons. If we lose, it sucks, I'm upset for a day or two. I start looking at the next season and getting excited again. I enjoy the season as it's happening. I enjoy the growing pains our teams go through. I don't get too much into recruiting until the season is over. I think it helps me avoid some of these heated discussions/arguments.

It started getting a bunch of spam threads and posts, and they "had" to shut it down. Not sure how that board was affected, but not others.

Others were affected, too, including here....we just had more man power on this board to stop it. There were times I'd wake up in the morning at 5am, check the board and find almost two pages of spam threads. It sucked.

There's a chance The Lounge comes back someday. Skysdad did a good job over the year's getting discussion going over there, but I think people got so used to this board that they never went over there. We tried for a brief while to keep all OT threads over there, but it just didn't pick up any traction.

Reactions: sgrooms
That's about the same time as the change in tone on this board. I don't know if there's any causation, but definitely some correlation.

In my opinion, it's more than correlation. One of the reasons I've backed off is because regular basketball threads seem to have an ability to turn into threads bashing particular political views and that's not what I come here for. Having the lounge as an outlet kept that off this board and it would be nice if we had that outlet again.

Everyone is different in how they view things. I think people need to respect that. At the same time, when folks take extreme or perceived negative takes, they must expect push back. When you post on a Duke message board, inhabited by mostly die hard Duke fans, you should anticipate having your views challenged moreso than others. It seems like common sense, IMO.

In my opinion, it's more than correlation. One of the reasons I've backed off is because regular basketball threads seem to have an ability to turn into threads bashing particular political views and that's not what I come here for. Having the lounge as an outlet kept that off this board and it would be nice if we had that outlet again.

The political climate was pretty heated when The Lounge had reached heyday. It's even more heated now. So I agree with you about keeping politics off this board.

I still wish some of you guys could have been around to post with hymera. He was an interesting cat. Some of the stuff that he and Dattier could get into back in the day was priceless. To give you a sneak peak into hymera's mind, he didn't think girls should participate in sports, believed a woman's place was solely in the household, and thought they should always where dresses. Despite feeling as though his views were extreme, he was a regular poster who one day just disappeared....I really hope nothing happened to him. It's odd to me when a regular poster just up and disappears out of the blue like that.

Reactions: dbav
I don't take Duke basketball as seriously as I used to and there are probably a couple of reasons for it. A) I realized that I would probably enjoy the games much better if I didn't take it so seriously. And I actually do enjoy the games more now. Watching each game and going into each season, knowing that there is only a slim chance that we will win the title just made me have a much more enjoyable experience. B) I have just gotten older and have much more important things going on in my life. Don't get me wrong, I watch every single game and cheer as hard as I did as a 8 year old Duke fan. I just don't lose sleep when we lose like I literally used to when I was much younger. I was devastated after we lost to Kansas because we were so close to going to the Final Four. I forgot who it was but someone on the board posted they had a potential health problem and he hopes everything was going to be fine. That is the stuff I am talking about. Perspective.

See there's our difference. I don't expect to win the title. I hope we win the title, and we have had as good of a chance as any the last few seasons. If we lose, it sucks, I'm upset for a day or two. I start looking at the next season and getting excited again. I enjoy the season as it's happening. I enjoy the growing pains our teams go through. I don't get too much into recruiting until the season is over. I think it helps me avoid some of these heated discussions/arguments.
You worded it better than me. I'm basically right there with you, but I'll admit, this past team I really thought we were gonna win the title. I didn't think we were gonna win it in 2017, season was just a total disaster.
I wish more people enjoyed the ups and downs with the regular season. I go back this year and remember how excited I was when we won at Miami, a January road win at a place we never win at. I also probably need to enjoy moments like that a bit more.

I petition to the NCAA to make each round of the tournament a best-of-7 series. In the past 20 years (99-18).. we would have won the title in 99, 01, 02, 04, 10, 11, 15, 17, and 18.
9 titles in 20 years!!! MAKE IT BEST OF SEVEN.

Reactions: GillJET and sgrooms
Expectations and how people handle their emotions when those expectations do or do not come to fruition is a huge issue.

If i am interviewing for a new job, i might be the best looking candidate on paper and even in experience. That could be my view and the view of my peers and maybe others in my industry. My expectations based on that may lead me to believe i will get this job, and if i don’t I’m devestated. Do i let that affect that me for a while? How do i treat others around me the rwere pulling for me if those expectations were not met? How do they treat me? Does my wife or gf leave me or lash out bc they won’t get the residual benefits that new job and salary would have yielded? Do i yell at my old bosses and managers bc they didnt do enough to support and prepare me to land it? If i get that job, I’m pumped and all is well and everyone around me can revel in the success. If my expectations are that i expect to get the job but if it doesn’t happen i can still regroup and prepare for my next opportunity how do i handle that process?

Just because I’m the best candidate on paper, most experienced etc. there are myriad of reasons i possibly didn’t get it. Maybe i interviewed poorly that last day. Maybe the person they selected just unexpectedly blew them out of the water. Maybe that person just had an inside connection that i couldnt compete with no matter my experience. Maybe the interviewer didn’t like my suit, whatever it is.

Bottom line your expectations are your own and you have the right to them however you decide to come up with them. Maybe it’s internal, maybe it’s influenced by external factors like what we have on paper or what talking heads or rival fans are saying. How you deal with the expectations and whatever result occurs is something that we all need to be aware of. That’s the big point of contention. If we win it all- are we running over to THR to brag and then brag or bitch about why we got banned. If we lose are we lashing out at our coaches or outside factors or each other or the players bc they failed to meet our own expectations that maybe someone else didn’t have? Or maybe we had the same expectations but we realize that anything can happen in a one off situation and we have to accept i without being rude to those that supported the same cause to begin with. That includes the posters here, the team and staff, the families etc. talk about why i didn’t get the job- i didn’t interview well (shot poorly), the other guy was on his game (they shot lights out), they had alternative things in their side (better coaching/officials/home crowd) etc. but bashing those that support your same end goal, and doing it in a contentious rude way is never good.

You definitely make good points Dude.

I can certainly understand what you are saying about the mindset of veteran posters and them having their feathers ruffled by new posters. I made that same mistake early on. I took a too extreme stance against UNC posters here and was called out for it. I simply needed to be more measured with what I was saying and I feel like I’ve learned from that moment and have done my best to try and not make that same mistake again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT