ADVERTISEMENT

First Transfer

Hopefully no one transfers. But Schutt and Reeves are the odd guys out so far. They will either stick it out or they won't. Blakes stuck it out and is in the rotation in year two. Jon needs to sell those guys on buying in and eventually having a role.
Could see Schutt leaving but if I am not mistaken Reeves came expecting to redshirt so it doesn’t make sense for him to transfer after not getting pt this year.If he doesn’t get pt next yes he would be a definite transfer candidate

Reactions: christophero
Neither should transfer. Play your role and know your time is coming.

The only way I could see Schutt transferring is if we added a high level transfer SG or Roach or Proctor returned unexpectedly.

If Schutt transfers than we don’t need him anyway because he clearly isn’t tough enough to fight and compete for minutes: it’s not like Proctor, Grandison, and Blake’s are lighting the world on fire.

If Schutt sticks it out and fights for a role: than good for him and hopefully he will be a four year Blue Devil and could get real minutes next season.

I would bet (and hope) the latter happens.

Doubt Duke goes after a sg in the portal . They will have MCCain coming in and he’s not riding any bench .

Attitude is what Duke lacks 'thus far', it can change.

Blake, Flip and Roach ain't enough. Young don't realize he a grown man.

If Schutt transfers than we don’t need him anyway because he clearly isn’t tough enough to fight and compete for minutes: it’s not like Proctor, Grandison, and Blake’s are lighting the world on fire.

If Schutt sticks it out and fights for a role: than good for him and hopefully he will be a four year Blue Devil and could get real minutes next season.

I would bet (and hope) the latter happens.
It's way to early to write off Schutt or anyone else. If it's been said once it's been said a thousand times "they know the deal when they commit to Duke. Schutt knows it, Murphy knew it, Baker knew it, Jeter knew it. So did King, Jack White, MP3, Murphy, Czyz, Thomas and Jefferson. Some did transfer, some stuck it out znd got their degrees. Some knew they were role players but wanted to be a part of Duke. Some stuck around and became part of the coaching staff and some ended up with a ring. And I guy who became one of my favorite players of all time and never won a single post season honor but still holds the record for the highest season and career three point percentage that being 1,000 and now serving our country Marshall Plumlee. I feel no of these guys came to Duke with thr mindset of I'm going to be the worst Duke player ever. They came to Duke to compete. As far as near future transfers go I haven't the slightest idea. OFC

Last edited:
It's way to early to write off Schutt or anyone else. If it's been said once it's been said a thousand times "they know the deal when they commit to Duke. Schutt knows it, Murphy knew it, Baker knew it, Jeter knew it. So did King, Jack White, MP3, Murphy, Czyz, Thomas and Jefferson. Some did transfer, some stuck it out znd got their degrees. Some knew they were role players but wanted to be a part of Duke. Some stuck around and became part of the coaching staff and some ended up with a ring. And I guy who became one of my favorite players of all time and never won a single post season honor but still holds the record for the highest season and career three point percentage that being 1,000 and now serving our country Marshall Plumlee. I feel no of these guys came to Duke with thr mindset of I'm going to be the worst Duke player ever. They came to Duke to compete. As far as near future transfers go I haven't the slightest idea. OFC
It's amazing that all the Plumlee brothers got a ring! Marshall was huge for the 2015 team. Man, I love that team.

I said this yesterday and got crushed for it
As you should have and as should anyone who floats the idea that a barely top 100 kid who was NEVER thought of to crack the rotation, who’s at his absolute DREAM school would transfer his first year out. Blake’s didn’t transfer, why would schutt? Not like he’s a 100% nba lock type candidate. The transfers we’ve had are completely different situations.

Nutt, who was in a foursome with Pittsburgh head coach Pat Narduzzi at the Chik-fil-a charity golf tournament last May 1, was caught off guard when Narduzzi jumped out of his cart around 8:45 a.m. and waived the group on instead of teeing off.

"He is on the phone and I can tell by his facial expression something is wrong," Nutt said. "Lo and behold he is losing his Belitnikoff receiver."

When Narduzzi did finally catch up, he asked Nutt a question that caught the CBS college football analyst off guard.

"'I am losing my best player,'" Nutt said Narduzzi told him. "'I am losing a receiver to USC and here is my question Coach Nutt. Can you match a million? I don't want him to leave Pittsburgh, so can you match a million?'"

The above is an example of a College football player leaving Pitt to go play at USC. Just doesn’t seem to fair to go grab every decent small school player and stack your team cause you can pay 1-2 million per player.
I hope Duke isn’t out budging on players like this.

Chicken or egg. Maybe if Schutt plays and hits a couple shots we don't need to hold OSU to 51. But Scheyer has said that defense is the team's trademark and if Schutt can't defend, he won't play. I'm fine with that although I'll root for the kid to improve his D so he can get some PT, like Grayson did his freshman year.

It’s that simple

WTF. Why are we speculating on this site, of all places, that one of our players will probably transfer instead of, oh I dom't know, that he will ultimately live up to his potential? Such posts infer, a mere 5 weeks into the season, that the kid cannot be good enough to play for Duke. Remember, our players read this stuff. Such posts do nothing to provide encouragement or incentive to do better to the player involved. He was recruited for a number of good reasons, one of which was NOT that he would not be able to fit in and to contribute. Just my non-expert opinion.

OFC

WTF. Why are we speculating on this site, of all places, that one of our players will probably transfer instead of, oh I dom't know, that he will ultimately live up to his potential? Such posts infer, a mere 5 weeks into the season, that the kid cannot be good enough to play for Duke. Remember, our players read this stuff. Such posts do nothing to provide encouragement or incentive to do better to the player involved. He was recruited for a number of good reasons, one of which was NOT that he would not be able to fit in and to contribute. Just my non-expert opinion.

OFC
I hope he studies hard and falls in love, has the time of his life. Eventually if he wants to play bball he may have to go somewhere else . Who knows? If he’s smart he wouldn’t visit message boards unless he’s being held at gunpoint and forced to. I too don’t get the fascination with this transfer stuff like we’re trading gold or silver. He obviously wants to play at Duke or he wouldn’t have come here. If he’s not good enough to play then that’s on the coaches

OFC
Thank you for this post. Every year the transfer thing pops up but it is really early this year. Schutt like every recruit knows what he is getting into when they come to Duke. Hope Schutt plays four years for us. Everytime he comes into the game and shoots I want it to go in. Defense? He can learn to play defense. He has four years to learn. Even in the days befor one and done there were very good Duke players that had to learn to play defense. Most of them did or they did not play. Feel kind of sorry for today's high school recruits. They just don't teach defense in high school or AAU. The kids that can play defense learn and work on it. OFC

Thank you for this post. Every year the transfer thing pops up but it is really early this year. Schutt like every recruit knows what he is getting into when they come to Duke. Hope Schutt plays four years for us. Everytime he comes into the game and shoots I want it to go in. Defense? He can learn to play defense. He has four years to learn. Even in the days befor one and done there were very good Duke players that had to learn to play defense. Most of them did or they did not play. Feel kind of sorry for today's high school recruits. They just don't teach defense in high school or AAU. The kids that can play defense learn and work on it. OFC
We're over exaggerating this defense thing. Jon is going 9 deep. The nine he plays are just ahead of him. My question is not his defense, but his versatility. Is he able to play 1,2,3 at this time at Duke? Probably not, so he waits. Now a bad thing!

I mean it's a message board, we have transfers every year, so it doesn't seem outrageous. (I believe this thread was created after people said they didn't want to discuss that in the other threads.) Schutt is either going to stick it out or he isn't. I think he will, but I don't have a crystal ball. Goldwire and O'Connell both played their first year. Blakes is the exception. And it is much easier transferring these days. It's part of the game; we were lucky to get 2 transfers who are now in the rotation. Jon seems pretty adept at the transfer game. I would love to have Blakes, Schutt, Young and Reeves back next year. That's a nice core. I have no doubt Schutt will be a good college player; I hope he sticks it out.

Last edited:
This discussion comes up simply due to the transfers from the program . Schutt reminds me so much of Blakes first season. You see the tools, we know he can shoot but he needs to put it all together at this level.

This discussion comes up simply due to the transfers from the program . Schutt reminds me so much of Blakes first season. You see the tools, we know he can shoot but he needs to put it all together at this level.
As much as the negative inference this thread creates, I am just as disturbed by the timing of the thread, only 5 weeks into the season. It took Paulus and WOJO time to become defenders, adequate in Paulus's case and exceptionbal in WOJO's case. JJ was no defensive whiz to start. Give Schutt reasonable time to settle in and find his shot before speculating that he is going to leave.

OFC

I mean it's a message board, we have transfers every year, so it doesn't seem outrageous. (I believe this thread was created after people said they didn't want to discuss that in the other threads.) Schutt is either going to stick it out or he isn't. I think he will, but I don't have a crystal ball. Goldwire and O'Connell both played their first year. Blakes is the exception. And it is much easier transferring these days. It's part of the game; we were lucky to get 2 transfers who are now in the rotation. Jon seems pretty adept at the transfer game. I would love to have Blakes, Schutt, Young and Reeves back next year. That's a nice core. I have no doubt Schutt will be a good

college player; I hope he sticks it out.
Chris, Shey thanks for your comments. Like it or not naysayers, Duke has become known for transfers due to the yearly influx of OAD's, kids being recruited over, etc.

Plus someone very familiar to all of this board (and commented on this very thread) made it an annual point to name the first transfer every year. He would talk about the kid's "body language,facial expression on the bench, etc." So there was some tongue-in-cheek, but come on, chill about what kids read. It goes with the territory of big-time athletics.

OFC

Last edited:
To be honest this is my first time responding to a thread about transfers when I actually think no one leaves .
It also doesn’t help under the new portal rules that nothing isn’t put the realm of players leaving simply to get time any where.

While Duke has had more transfers recently than any other Duke era, it is not a big deal or doesn’t speak to any issues going on in Durham. Sure, we are losing 1-2 guys a year to transferring, but that is nothing compared to most programs.
In 2021 there were 1789 transfers total, that averages out to around 5 per Div 1 program, FIVE. I hope we have zero transfers this off-season, but if someone goes: my money would probably be on Schutt.

More importantly: I love how Jon has embraced the transfer portal and bringing in guys. This years team would be a dead duck if we didn’t bring in anyone. And truthfully: I feel like K left a title or 2 on the table by not embracing the transfer portal early enough…..the Zion team felt like a guy short, same with the Bagley team, both needed a shooter off the bench, a guy like Grandison would have been perfect.

While Duke has had more transfers recently than any other Duke era, it is not a big deal or doesn’t speak to any issues going on in Durham. Sure, we are losing 1-2 guys a year to transferring, but that is nothing compared to most programs.
In 2021 there were 1789 transfers total, that averages out to around 5 per Div 1 program, FIVE. I hope we have zero transfers this off-season, but if someone goes: my money would probably be on Schutt.

More importantly: I love how Jon has embraced the transfer portal and bringing in guys. This years team would be a dead duck if we didn’t bring in anyone. And truthfully: I feel like K left a title or 2 on the table by not embracing the transfer portal early enough…..the Zion team felt like a guy short, same with the Bagley team, both needed a shooter off the bench, a guy like Grandison would have been perfect.
DTDF, Allen was definitely that guy off the pine in '15. OFC

Reactions: DanTheDukeFan1982
All time Duke transfer team. Semi, King, McCaffrey, Gbinije, Burgess. Pretty sure Semi our only NBA transfer.
Elliott Williams was a transfer that really hurt at the time. He played a lot for us as a freshman, was a 5 star kid, went home to Memphis and it never really worked out for him.

This was also a time when UNC and UK were beating us on the recruiting trail, UNC had just won the title. However, then the 2010 title happened and that changed everything.

I remember being bummed that Elliot Williams transferred and Henderson went pro. They were our 2 most athletic guys. Williams took a lot of shots at Memphis, so it worked out for us and we won a title. We also had Sulaimon transfer after he was kicked off the team, and we won a title in 2015.

I think it's a comical thread, but not worth anyone getting a little worked up over. This ain't nowhere near what college sports used to be. Talking about the good ol days won't bring them back. If he decides to leave Duke at the end of the season, oh well. The portal is, and will be full to grab someone else. Do I like it? No. But it is what it is.

Look at Clemson football. Their qb finally got benched. What does he decide to do? Announce he's entering the portal. Clemson has 1 more game left this season.

Williams had to leave . It was his mother or Grandmother who got sick with I believe cancer. Williams went pro but think he only lasted two seasons with I believe the Memphis Grizzlies.

K didn’t use it because the new rule was only in place for I believe the last two years where they could play immediately unless a graduate transfer or waiver .

Reactions: jeffrey236
I saw a statistic somewhere that Duke's rate of transfers wasn't that much greater than other schools. It's just that we notice it more.

If a kid isn't happy at Duke, it could be a lot of things and not only how much he's playing. Some I feel bad about leaving but generally I feel like they are kids and if they are happier somewhere else, let them go.

The one I felt bad about was the point guard Thornton? I liked him (if only for the blocked shot that won the Cheater game that year) and I think his father gave him bad advice. I read that his father confronted Coach K with the number of times K ran a play for his son as opposed to PG's on other teams and Coach K said good luck at your next stop. But he had a lot of potential and would have started (again) for us the next year when we didn't have a point guard.

That has nothing to do with this thread so sorry. The point is I don't lose sleep over transfers but I agree a guy who understands what he's coming into as far as role is a welcome addition to a program like Duke's that could use an experienced player.

I saw a statistic somewhere that Duke's rate of transfers wasn't that much greater than other schools. It's just that we notice it more.

If a kid isn't happy at Duke, it could be a lot of things and not only how much he's playing. Some I feel bad about leaving but generally I feel like they are kids and if they are happier somewhere else, let them go.

The one I felt bad about was the point guard Thornton? I liked him (if only for the blocked shot that won the Cheater game that year) and I think his father gave him bad advice. I read that his father confronted Coach K with the number of times K ran a play for his son as opposed to PG's on other teams and Coach K said good luck at your next stop. But he had a lot of potential and would have started (again) for us the next year when we didn't have a point guard.

That has nothing to do with this thread so sorry. The point is I don't lose sleep over transfers but I agree a guy who understands what he's coming into as far as role is a welcome addition to a program like Duke's that could use an experienced player.
It was his uncle and he didn’t confront K he blasted him on his pod cast . Thornton left and went to two other schools after . Finishing his career at BC . It was K who had to tell the crazies not to chant nothing stupid when the game started directed at the kid. Some kids just get bad advice . He had potential too.

I have forgot Thorton. It seems he never played at Duke. OFC
I think discussion of the transfer "tool" (and that is what it is) is very relevant and timely. I object only to rank speculation about an individual player's likelihood of transferring before the player has had an adequate opportunity to develop, which is what this thread initially addressed, not generally the viability and use of the transfer rule.

OFC

I think discussion of the transfer "tool" (and that is what it is) is very relevant and timely. I object only to rank speculation about an individual player's likelihood of transferring before the player has had an adequate opportunity to develop, which is what this thread initially addressed, not generally the viability and use of the transfer rule.

OFC
You think Michael Gbinije had "an adequate opportunity to develop???" OFC

Michael Gbinije would have been a sophomore on the 12-13 Mason Plumlee dominant senior year Duke team that made the Elite 8. Freshman Rasheed Sulaimon started 33 of 36 games that season, I believe Gbinije would have possibly started and contributed a lot that season. Yes, Gbinije had an adequate chance to develop in practice his freshman year.

Jordan Tucker got beat out for the backup SG spot by AOC. He also went pro after doing nothing at Butler, I think it was in Dukes best interest that Tucker left the program IMO.

I know football teams over recruit, and I suspect we do as well. If a guy works out; then great. But guys like Tucker or Brakefield seemed like "extra" recruits. You almost have to factor transfer possibility into the equation, especially the last few years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT