ADVERTISEMENT

First Transfer

hart2chesson

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Oct 13, 2012
I will go on record as a surrogate of @skysdad , our first transfer will be Jaden Schutt. This kid, despite poor 3 pt shooting in a SMALL SAMPLE SIZE needs PT without a short leash.

Remember the tight leash on Grayson his first year, and his ultimate saving us from disaster in the '15 natty??

I AM NOT SUGGESTING ANYTHING THAT DRAMATIC!!!

However given our relatively spotty outside shooting, turn him loose. Don't jerk him. after one missed shot. If current trend continues, I say Schutt is outta here. What in the world did we promise Proctor???? He's had plenty of chances and really only one good game. Glad to see him on pine at end yesterday, and Blakes inserted. Give Schutt a LEGIT SHOT!!! OFC

I will go on record as a surrogate of @skysdad , our first transfer will be Jaden Schutt. This kid, despite poor 3 pt shooting in a SMALL SAMPLE SIZE needs PT without a short leash.

Remember the tight leash on Grayson his first year, and his ultimate saving us from disaster in the '15 natty??

However given our relatively spotty outside shooting, turn him loose. Don't jerk him. after one missed shot. If current trend continues, I say Schutt is outta here. What in the world did we promise Proctor???? He's had plenty of chances and really only one good game. Glad to see him on pine at end yesterday, and Blakes inserted. Give Schutt a LEGIT SHOT!!! OFC
I said this yesterday and got crushed for it

If we’re saying that about Proctor then what about Grandison? Schutt won’t transfer if I had to say anyone leaving I would say Reeves . However Foster coming next year marks that out because they played in high school together at Oak Hill and Duke has no legit five returning next season unless Lively has a change of heart .
I do agree with giving him a couple minutes just to see what Schutt does . Blakes is in simply for defense any offense he gives is a plus . Best move was putting Proctor and Grandison on the bench yesterday. This isn’t high school , Euro ball or D two teams . Duke gets everyone’s best game .

I was surprised Schutt didn't get any burn against Oregon State considering nobody else could make a shot. His defense and ball handling must not be good enough to get him on the court.

I wouldn't be surprised if he transfers if he gets no chance at all to play this year.

Reeves will play next year if he keeps progressing.

Of course it also depends on whether any of the freshmen come back. I doubt any of them do, even if it means playing in the D league. Apparently people come to Duke knowing they'll leave no matter what.

I was surprised Schutt didn't get any burn against Oregon State considering nobody else could make a shot. His defense and ball handling must not be good enough to get him on the court.

I wouldn't be surprised if he transfers if he gets no chance at all to play this year.

Of course it also depends on whether any of the freshmen come back. I doubt any of them do, even if it means playing in the D league. Apparently people come to Duke knowing they'll leave no matter what.
Yeah Lift I imagine if Schutt gets recruited over that will cinch his decision! OFC

Yeah Lift I imagine if Schutt gets recruited over that will cinch his decision! OFC
He’s already got competition coming in. MCCain and Foster . However, should he progress some this season and in the off season like Blakes he’ll play next year . I think the thing for him is simply playing at this level . He wasn’t a highly recruits player almost like Blakes and Reeves. It’s only seven games into the season and along way to go .

He’s already got competition coming in. MCCain and Foster . However, should he progress some this season and in the off season like Blakes he’ll play next year . I think the thing for him is simply playing at this level . He wasn’t a highly recruits player almost like Blakes and Reeves. It’s only seven games into the season and along way to go .
Izzo offered Schutt.

OFC

Hopefully no one transfers. But Schutt and Reeves are the odd guys out so far. They will either stick it out or they won't. Blakes stuck it out and is in the rotation in year two. Jon needs to sell those guys on buying in and eventually having a role.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I strongly doubt that he considers a transfer after this year. Now, if he doesn't get any PT next year. that might be a different matter. I suspect that he was told that at Duke's level, it would take time and a lot of work to make the rotation. Pretty confident that Reeves is in the same boat. Now, if the two of them had been heralded 5-star recruits, I wouldn't feel that it is premature to worry about it.

Hopefully no one transfers. But Schutt and Reeves are the odd guys out so far. They will either stick it out or they won't. Blakes stuck it out and is in the rotation in year two. Jon needs to sell those guys on buying in and eventually having a role.
Amen Chris!

OFC

Reactions: christophero
Proctor is finding his way. I don't think Schutt is ahead of him. It's probably in the team's best interest to develop Proctor. Schutt will probably get some minutes in our easier games, but right now with Blakes playing well and Whitehead back it's a crowded backcourt.

Proctor is finding his way. I don't think Schutt is ahead of him. It's probably in the team's best interest to develop Proctor. Schutt will probably get some minutes in our easier games, but right now with Blakes playing well and Whitehead back it's a crowded backcourt.
Whitehead plays wf unless Duke just wants to overly big . Schutt isn’t playing because if you watched him in the preseasons game he has a bigger learning curve . Unless Grandison just goes into complete slump mode . I wouldn’t look for Schutt to play

Reeves came in expecting to redshirt. Why would anyone think him getting mop-up PT early in the season would lead him to transfer?

And Ryan Young is on a two-year grad-program. He will use his COVID year at Duke next season.

Schutt? Scheyer has made it clear from the very beginning that this team's foundation would be defense. Right now, Schutt's defense just isn't ready for prime time. Down the road? Well, he was recruited with the expectation that he would be a rotation player down the road but probably not before his sophomore season. Just like Jaylen Blakes he came in with his eyes wide open.

Yes, he might have been able to knock down some jumpers against Oregon State. But Duke held a Pac-12 team to 51 points. Would that have been possible had he been on the floor?

It looks like the ACC may have an unusually large number of really bad teams this season, which hopefully will give Schutt and Reeves some chances to see the floor.

Whitehead plays wf unless Duke just wants to overly big . Schutt isn’t playing because if you watched him in the preseasons game he has a bigger learning curve . Unless Grandison just goes into complete slump mode . I wouldn’t look for Schutt to play
Exactly. Schutt is definitely not at the same level as Grandison and Proctor at this point based on what we saw in the early games and scrimmages. I'm sure he sees in practice too and understands. He will have a role at some point, he just needs to keep getting better and developing in practice right now.

He may transfer but threads like this one just suck. We are like 6 games in right now.

Schutt never really got in enough to get pulled. He's a top 75 guy like O"Connell. He doesn't seem to be a good defender from the little I've seen. He will be a good player, but if Proctor comes back the backcourt will be crowded again.

They don't have a role. They don't play. Unless you consider practice body a role. Blakes has a role. I don't think they will transfer either but it's certainly possible. I'd love to have them back next year.

Last edited:
Glad my thread got some traction!! I may be Pisgah Jr if I can keep this up. Honestly only reason I said Schutt deserves time is I do believe this team is OUTSIDE SHOOTING SHORT.

Thats been characteristic of Duke teams in recent years. I don't expect him in at crunch time, but Schutt could fill a role that's been a weak point. We had one legit sniper last year: Griffin. Then Leaky Black shuts him down in Durham, FF and we lose both those. Keels was not the answer. I think the jury is out on Proctor. Grandison could be the key. Let's hope so.. I do know Whitehead can fill it up, but when will he be fully healthy???

Glad my thread got some traction!! I may be Pisgah Jr if I can keep this up. Honestly only reason I said Schutt deserves time is I do believe this team is OUTSIDE SHOOTING SHORT.

Thats been characteristic of Duke teams in recent years. I don't expect him in at crunch time, but Schutt could fill a role that's been a weak point. We had one legit sniper last year: Griffin. Then Leaky Black shuts him down in Durham, FF and we lose both those. Keels was not the answer. I think the jury is out on Proctor. Grandison could be the key. Let's hope so.. I do know Whitehead can fill it up, but when will he be fully healthy???
Maybe one day hart LOL

• Haha
I would love to see Schutt play. But where do the minutes come from? Blakes is playing well, and Jon isn't going to bury Proctor on the bench. Roach is a 30 minute guy. He will get his shot at the end of easy games. He will have to hit some 3s though.

Reeves came in expecting to redshirt. Why would anyone think him getting mop-up PT early in the season would lead him to transfer?

And Ryan Young is on a two-year grad-program. He will use his COVID year at Duke next season.

Schutt? Scheyer has made it clear from the very beginning that this team's foundation would be defense. Right now, Schutt's defense just isn't ready for prime time. Down the road? Well, he was recruited with the expectation that he would be a rotation player down the road but probably not before his sophomore season. Just like Jaylen Blakes he came in with his eyes wide open.

Yes, he might have been able to knock down some jumpers against Oregon State. But Duke held a Pac-12 team to 51 points. Would that have been possible had he been on the floor?

It looks like the ACC may have an unusually large number of really bad teams this season, which hopefully will give Schutt and Reeves some chances to see the floor.
Excellent post, Jim. I think you nailed it.

Reactions: Devilinside
I didn't think Baker, Coleman, or Goldwire would transfer but they did. Guys want to play.
You forget one thing about two of those players. They graduated from Duke and Goldwire and Baker needed a change . Goldwire actually started and Baker is getting minutes ( haven’t really kept up with him except what you post Chris. Which thanks by the way for all the info you post as well as others ). They also had better players coming in at their position. Coleman I knew was gone . He wanted to play and him and his family didn’t see how spot up minutes were going to help him develop. They all made the right choice and to be honest , not sure Grandison is an improvement over Baker at the moment .

I didn't think Baker, Coleman, or Goldwire would transfer but they did. Guys want to play.
Both Baker and Goldwire are in a different category. They were both fifth year seniors who got an extra year of eligibility as a result of covid so it made sense for them to try some place new. Coleman was a real kick in the teeth as we could have used him at the final four when Williams and John could not stay on the court thanks to fouls.

Chicken or egg. Maybe if Schutt plays and hits a couple shots we don't need to hold OSU to 51. But Scheyer has said that defense is the team's trademark and if Schutt can't defend, he won't play. I'm fine with that although I'll root for the kid to improve his D so he can get some PT, like Grayson did his freshman year.

Let Schutt redshirt. No need to burn this year.

Don't disagree. I would hope we would have given him some PT. What is up with this?

No one is transferring this season . Luckily the change for that is Jaylen Blakes. He put in the work. Offense isn’t there as yet but no one can say anything about his defense and he’s getting time . Him going from no time to first or second guard off the bench should be an example. I’m glad he stayed because he’s easiest one of my favorite players .
I think Schutt knows this . Put in the work and play .

We’ve had a lot of surprise transfers over the years, and maybe Schutt will be one of those, but I think he came in with his eyes wide open, knowing he’d have to learn to play D against major Div 1 players. He did not face the kind of talent that we see every night in high school. But every report on his high school career said he was a very hard worker - if he can’t defend against Duke’s opponents, he’s not going to the NBA. Practicing against our guys will get him to where he wants to be, namely getting burn at Duke and being an NBA prospect.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT