ADVERTISEMENT

First Transfer

Maybe that's why he blossomed at the 'Cuse, and was high scorer in beating us at least once later on... K should have seen the ability, and known this kid would be a late bloomer.

OFC
I get what you’re saying, but I disagree that a program like Duke needs to play kids to develop them for the future. K’s job was to win games and win titles. Not conduct experiments to maybe help a future Duke team.

This was also in 2012, a different era of the sport, where freshman still were expected to come in and wait their turn. Unless it was a 5 star guy like Kyrie, which Gbinije was not.

You think Michael Gbinije had "an adequate opportunity to develop???" OFC
You are missing the point. The issue is not how much time particular players ordinarily need in order to develop their games, but how much opportunity should a fan (not a coach or a team) in fairness give a player to prove his worth before speculating on the internet that he will transfer. Five weeks just ain't enough time. For me, one year may not even be enough depending on the player. When players other than Schutt transferred and why has nothing to do with whether or not it is beneficial to engage in rank speculation about whether another player will transfer. So, to answer your question, "Damn right!" I think that Gbinije and Tucker (and all of our other transfers) had fabulous opportunities to develop at Duke and that they voluntarily gave them up. Their leaving when they did could have had a myriad of reasons such as that they thought that they did not need development time because they were already so good that they should have been starting or that they did not believe that they were ever going to be good enough to get much playing time at Duke or that they had trouble bonding with other team members or that they were homesick or that favoritism was being shown to othet players ot that he would fit in better at another school or that they did not like Duke, Durham, or the South, or that parents or third parties pursuaded them to transfer.

OFC.

"You missed the point" I made when I said the OP was part "tongue in cheek." I did say one poster who has already posted on this thread, regularly made a practice of transfer talk, and who would be the first to do so annually.

Now, also I was serious about Jaden Schutt being the most likely candidate from this year. Don't get me wrong, in my mind Jon has found the ideal nine at this point to play. Furthermore, I am DELIGHTED his rotation is greater in number it appears than that of Coach K. I also feel fairly certain Jon will not SHORTEN HIS BENCH as the season progresses.

As far as chances for development, I still feel players on ANY TEAM can fail to get enough time to develop. Would Grayson Allen have stayed at Duke for his sophomore year had his PT not opened up due to Sulamion's transfer? I certainly think so, as we didn't bring in many new players that year.

However, it certainly didn't hurt when Grayson got actual game action. It's a commonly held theory some players perform at their best in GAMES, while others are labeled "practice players." Makes much sense to me as a former coach. (Many years ago before I became an old fart.) Perhaps those players who depart didn't get enough PT in actual games, thereby stifling their development. (Grayson was on K's SHORT LEASH until the Sulamion exit.)

Finally since my OP, I have become less concerned about Jaden's PT, as our 3pt shooting has experienced a slight uptick the last couple games. I think Whitehead is going to emerge from downtown, and Jeremy, Proctor are showing signs of coming around in their shooting.

I still think Jaden has good upside as a college player, and can be an impactful Blue Devil.

OFC

Hart, I agree with your comments, and not only because you are one of the regulars on the football thread!

Reactions: hart2chesson
If he stays, I'm sure the 9 points against Maryland East Shores will be the determining factor. Seriously he looked great today.

Elliott Williams was a transfer that really hurt at the time. He played a lot for us as a freshman, was a 5 star kid, went home to Memphis and it never really worked out for him.

This was also a time when UNC and UK were beating us on the recruiting trail, UNC had just won the title. However, then the 2010 title happened and that changed everything.
he did well at memphis and got drafted 1st round #22

Reactions: sheyduke
Maybe that's why he blossomed at the 'Cuse, and was high scorer in beating us at least once later on... K should have seen the ability, and known this kid would be a late bloomer.

OFC
i dont think K saw him as a point guard...iirc correctly from this board or somewhere else...it was his lack of voice on defense and understanding???...i think the cuse zone helped that and the position change...???

Five rebounds as well Chris. I know his D is seen as a liability, but it shows he's hustling. OFC
If he stays, I'm sure the 9 points against Maryland East Shores will be the determining factor. Seriously he looked great today.
Please, no more "if he stays" stuff. Not one knowledgeable person (including Schutt) has suggested that there was even a possibility that he might not stay.

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT