ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Womans B'ball

Devilinside

Cameron Crazy
Dec 30, 2010
Columbia, SC
Not that I follow the womens' team real closely, it seems to me, injuries aside, that it is falling apart. We were way short on talent before the injuries, and problems are snowballing. Coach was on thin ice a couple of years ago, and things have been getting worse. Do they need a change?

She's had many good seasons at Duke. Don't know why it's been so tough lately. Let's see how the rest of the season goes. Beating unc cheater u is a must. Their program is down also. OFC

I'm more of a casual fan of the women's team. Going to the game Thursday night vs Wake.
I haven't been very impressed with Coach McCallie, even during the early success. So much of her game plan and attack seemed to be backwards of what I know and expect. The program development hasn't been there either. I honestly was surprised she got the most recent contract extension. I know there are a large number of regular supporters that stopped getting their season tickets and told the ticket office they'd be back once a new coach was hired.

Hated that the point guard from Spain left the team a few years ago.
Getting more 3 star recruits now.

What always surprises me is the lack of congruency between mens and womens BB programs in terms of quality. If you look at the rankings, not one University has both programs in the top 10. KY and Maryland are the only ones with them in the top 15 of both. Not sure why success on the mens side with all the publicity and TV it gets for Top teams does not translate to a Womens program of the same stature. Uconn's programs may be the one that stands out a few seasons ago. Perennial #1 ( just not this week) on the womens side but look at the mens program today, in decline.
Same for CFB ... how does Alabama BB continue to be mediocre with all the press and coverage of the CFB....logic says it should translate to recruiting success
Duke's Women being so poor is not something the AD should have patience with given past teams success..a change of course is probably going to happen if this continues.

S
My folks have season tickets to the women's games. My dad can't go tomorrow night, so I'm going with my mom. She called last night to say she'd been invited to a Chalk Talk and food before the game - did I want to go. I said sure! Is McCallie leading the chalk talk? Cause I've got ton's of questions for her.
he took over a team with good talent and has not maintained the talent level, except for the fortunate transfer in of Lexie Brown. Her record in the NCAA's when we were lucky enough to get in has been abysmal.

OFC

Reactions: Nivram50
With the talent she's had in the past. I was one who thought she'd take the women’s program to a title (surpassing Coach G success) but as pointed out by those in previous post seems she's gone backwards with the talent. I hope she can right the ship. Never want anyone to lose a job but the expectation at DUKE is to win and win often. GO DUKE!

I was checking out the womans schedule the other day and it shocked me that they are on 5 game losing streak... coaching change is a must.

Haven't they had amazingly bad luck with injuries for a bunch of years in a row?

Went to the game last night. There is some talent on the team - but the coaching was dismal. There's not enough space on the board for me to talk about the easily identifiable coaching misses that were so very obvious last night.
There are probably more than 20 high school girls teams in NC that can beat Duke this season.

Yes, there have been injuries. Yes, they have handicapped this program. But the injuries haven't handicapped the program nearly to the point the poor coaching has.

Been a season ticket holder for 3 years now. My daughter is a huge fan and knows lots of the players and staff. The Women have injury issues. This was slated to be a good year. Their starting PG reinjured her ACL. The other starting PG who cam back just reinjured herself. She’s out for the season. They’ve been plagued by injury the last two seasons. They’ve had some really close games but can’t close. I think it’s more of a player problem than a coach problem. Hard to coach players who don’t listen. All the talent in the world and if they make stupid shots, passes, play lazy defense, don’t attempt to rebound, etc. you can’t blame the coach. They’re a young team who lost two key players due to graduation. If they can keep everyone healthy next season they’ll be fine.

I miss Coach G. We were playing for national championships and beating UConn before she left. We should've paid her. She deserved it.

Nothing against our current coach personally of course but I miss those days.

I miss Coach G. We were playing for national championships and beating UConn before she left. We should've paid her. She deserved it.

Nothing against our current coach personally of course but I miss those days.
The year we had Lexie and Becca with a healthy Kyra we stood a chance. Kyra tears her ACL and it was all downhill from there.

I have a lot of involvement with NC high school athletics and see more high school games that probably 95% of the people on this board. This isn't hyperbole - this is informed opinion.

I have a lots of involvement with ACC women's basketball and see more ACC games than 95 percent of the people on this board. The idea that Duke or any ACC team would lose to any NC high school team is ludicrous.

Reactions: Dad2ze
I have a lot of involvement with NC high school athletics and see more high school games that probably 95% of the people on this board. This isn't hyperbole - this is informed opinion.

Much respect to you for standing up for your beliefs Nivram.

I"m not happy with where the Duke women's team is these days, but I know the difference between a high school team and a team of 3 and 4 star recruits. We don't need to make claims like that to make the point that any varsity sport at Duke should be better than what our women are producing on the court right now..

Never understood how we let a hall of fame coach get away. I loved having great teams with both men and women. Would be awesome if we could somehow pull her out of retirement.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT