ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS WAKE FOREST OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Scheyer should of called this timeout when we where up 7 being stupid.

The offense can look so embarrassing at times. And for long stretches. Stall ball was a terrible decision.

How many four plus minute scoring droughts does this team have this season?

Keels really struggles with his decisions.

But that was a bogus call on Williams. Unreal how bad a call that was. Ridiculous!

I want to win but man we don’t deserve it that’s for sure.

We won but this team is playing really poorly lately.

Insane play by Williams. Really, two great plays. The block on the defensive end where he got called for a phantom foul. And the dunk.

Yeah this team is not playing like a top 10 team. How do you blow that second half lead at home?

Dukes scoring drought for the whole game combined was 12 minutes or more ( 5, 4 and 4). Not a winning formula but too often this team reverts to jump shots and not attacking.
like most have already said, instead of keeping the foot on the gas with a lead and playing smart ball, they regress like a sports car who’s battery died while attempting to race a suped up Honda.

Nice win but if that goes to OT does anyone think we would win? Still better than a loss. We are talented but not smart.

Reactions: Mac9192
Glad we won, but man did we play some dumb ball down the stretch. First, Griffin didn’t score in the 2nd half, Banchero was 2-10, and Keels was 1-7.
We have no reliable point guard. Keels is not a good decision maker. He’s a bull in a China shop.
Never seen a team that can look so good, then flip the switch and play as bad.

Offense runs a lot better with Roach…ball sticks to Keels to much.

Sitting Roach that much is a mistake….

Also I just don’t think Paolo is close to as good as people think. He’s really soft and hovers above the free throw line almost the entire game.
It’s almost March I don’t think he’s changing who he is.

Also this team has had more stretches of four plus minutes without scoring than any team I can honestly remember. Tonight it happened three separate times…

Speaks a lot to our offensive system and overall intelligence as a group what to do when we need a basket.

Wendell cannot have the ball in his hands with late game possessions in March. Proven numerous times in late game situations he doesn’t have the PG IQ. Let Roach or Banchero get us into a set.

Should have one the game by 20. The team wasn’t taking wake serious when up by 17 and trying to be too cute with one on one moves and alley oops. Banchero and keels have a tendency to over dribble. Scheyer needed to get them to focus sooner but honestly this team should be playing more mature without coaching guidance at this point

Reactions: kingbluedevil
The usual warts on display. Poor shot selection as everyone thinks they are a jump shooter, key players disappear when we need them and zero intensity and leadership as the game was slipping away. A win is a win but this team doesnt have the consistency to put 6 good games together in March.

Reactions: Devilinside
The usual warts on display. Poor shot selection as everyone thinks they are a jump shooter, key players disappear when we need them and zero intensity and leadership as the game was slipping away. A win is a win but this team doesnt have the consistency to put 6 good games together in March.
At this point I'll be happy if we get 4 in a row

Offense runs a lot better with Roach…ball sticks to Keels to much.

Sitting Roach that much is a mistake….

Also I just don’t think Paolo is close to as good as people think. He’s really soft and hovers above the free throw line almost the entire game.
It’s almost March I don’t think he’s changing who he is.
Definitely agree. Roach is a better decision maker than Keels.

Definitely agree. Roach is a better decision maker than Keels.
If Roach would commit to being a PG then it could work, unfortunately once he makes a shot he goes into shoot first mode and is very inconsistent...at one point today he dribbled up the court and shot a 3 and missed by a mile...no pass, nothing...and if you look at the season, his assist average isnt great for a guard. Role players are under-rated on teams but a necessity. Look at our 2010/2015 championship teams, they had defined role players who were critical compliments to the more skilled players. I dont think this team has that identity defined and its too late to change

I was just thinking this. We seem like a bunch of disjointed peices not a team. Time to change that, but we dont really seem to adjust to anything. We just play our game and hope it is enough. Which it is, a lot of the time., as we have 4, maybe even 5 first round picks. We are having epic struggles with bubble teams. We need to gel as a team.

Last edited:
Good thing…we pulled out a win in the last few seconds. Bad thing…we blew a 19 point second half lead to pull that win out in the last few seconds.

Reactions: christophero
So did Keels ignore Scheyer that possession he looked like they were going to take a TO or was that planned?

So did Keels ignore Scheyer that possession he looked like they were going to take a TO or was that planned?
That was a weird play. Don't know if it was a fake me out between Keels and Scheyer but no other player was on board. Williams definitely wasn't ready

I can't remember a win I've felt worse about. Our end of game execution leaves a lot to be desired. We were up 7 with a little over 2 minutes left. Of course I am still mad about the Bengals losing. :)

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
Well that was a cluster. There were so many bad basketball plays in the last 10 minutes it was laughable. We are seriously lacking that alpha (ideally an upperclassman) to take over when we are struggling. I want to think Moore is that guy, but he's been inconsistent...for the record I thought the over and back call was a foul, but he's got to anticipate that double team coming. Banchero is a very talented young player, and I am glad he picked Duke, but he struggles when he NEEDS to score. Keels is a baller, but just like Mac says, when everyone in the gym knows he's going to drive, he's a bull in the china shop.

Still, we dropped 3 conference games just like this one already this season. This time we found a way to win. That's some growth. We are sitting atop the ACC. Let's put away FSU by 20 this weekend.

Any word on Coach K? I haven't had time to read the news this morning. Hoping he is okay.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT