ADVERTISEMENT

Duke vs Reyerson Gameday Thread!!!!!!

So the rest of the team only has scored 18? Ugh. They aren’t player watching are they?
It does need to be noted that Jones, Reddish, & AOC were all out of this game.. those are 3 guys that will be scorers for us.. Jack White looks like he’s going to be a reliable spot up 3pt shooter this year.. but other than him, I don’t see many points coming from the others on a regular basis.

No, they just aren’t offensive creators and RJ took a lot of shots that some of them could have taken when open (RJ took 30 shots)

So the rest of the team only has scored 18? Ugh. They aren’t player watching are they?

You really thought that about RJ? Zion looked fat and away the most ready. RJ took a good amount of bad shots and everything was one on one outside of the offense, struggled to score on the second rotating defender who wasn’t even that athletic. I still like his potential but I’ve seen a good amount of freshmen at Duke who looked more NBA ready this early.

We watched two different games if you thought Bolden looked good. He looked like he will come off the bench to back up Zion and JD (who looked way better than bolden)
+1

You really thought that about RJ? Zion looked fat and away the most ready. RJ took a good amount of bad shots and everything was one on one outside of the offense, struggled to score on the second rotating defender who wasn’t even that athletic. I still like his potential but I’ve seen a good amount of freshmen at Duke who looked more NBA ready this early.

We watched two different games if you thought Bolden looked good. He looked like he will come off the bench to back up Zion and JD (who looked way better than bolden)

When I say “looks the most NBA ready”.. that has nothing to do with his efficiency or really even his play tonight at all.. basically just the eye test of looking at him, his size, his skill set, the way he moves, his poise, and potential.. He looks like an NBA player out there.. he is the #1 recruit for a reason.

And JD & Zion definitely looked better than Bolden.. “Bolden looked good”, I meant by Bolden standards.. he didn’t look like a chicken with his head cut off running around out there, like he has looked at times the last 2 years.. he looked under control.. but he wasn’t aggressive at all.. we need him to be a beast center.

Reactions: dukehokie
We've got a lot of work to do. It looks like we're fortunate to have this summer to go on this tour. I was really expecting more from Bolden. We've got to have Jones healthy if we're going to reach our potential. Might be some growing pains early in the season, but we have the G.O.A.T and we will get there!

It does need to be noted that Jones, Reddish, & AOC were all out of this game.. those are 3 guys that will be scorers for us.. Jack White looks like he’s going to be a reliable spot up 3pt shooter this year.. but other than him, I don’t see many points coming from the others on a regular basis.
I use these games to look for improvement from the returning players. Saw where all three( Reddish, Jones and Alex ) we’re out.

All I’m taking from this game is we escaped with no (major) injury’s!!.....just sad I had to say (major) Really all I’m hoping for at this point! It’s gotten to the point of like me rooting for my football team to not get injured... Hold my breath type crap through the game! Snake bitten lately.....Not looking into anything else this early, without 3 of our guys; and R.J. pressing in front of his hometown. Zion was a freak though.

Just got home from scoring fall league softball. Does anyone know if there is a box score? I checked ESPN and nothing. OFC

I like that the vast majority of this was positive, but man, there are a couple posters that seem stressed out already after 1 exhibition with Ryerson, haha.

Pretty much to be expected.

Zion is really good. I was excited to see him look the part tonight.

R.J. pressed a bit. I think the Jayson Tatum comparison is actually a pretty good one.

I really want Jack White to do well. Tonight he looked very good. Also impressed with Jordan Goldwire. He knows his role and accepts it.

Hope Alex is ok. Think he would have had some opportunities to show off his scoring without the injury.

I wouldn’t start panicking yet about certain players. It’s August 15th.

Didn't get to watch. Did Baker get some burn?

Haha no. But you can tell the team is just out of sync.

Just some things I thought while watching:

Team

Timing was way off. To be expected in August with 3 out of 8 expected contributors being out or going down.

This team will be able to attack the basket. And Tre coming back will only help Ques. He’s not assertive on O, but opening up the help pass off the drive will make him look great.

Hopefully the zone was in place because it’s August. Even though the guys were able to create some turnovers from the zone (points to good anticipation and activity), it still was ugly and largely ineffective. Ryerson got a lot of easy looks.

The reserves look like they’ll be able to contribute. If I had to guess a rank in terms of who would play the most today, I’d go Alex, Javin, Jack, Jordan, and situationally Tony or Justin may see some tick. Joey may still redshirt if they learn from Alex Murphy. The game is just too fast for him right now. Who knows, maybe by February, he’ll show the ability to contribute. But right now, Jack does what he’ll do and he does it better. This team will be able to play 9 at times and the key there is that those 9 will have roles.

The potential for a good defense and rebounding is there, but there will be a definite learning curve. This team will probably play it’s best ball in 2019, which is a good thing IMO.

Players

Ques - He’s not a shot creator. Nor is he a superb rebounder. He does clog the lane well on D and he runs the floor well.

Alex - Ugh

Zion - Hustles, is unstoppable on the break, is a machine under the boards, loose balls find him well, showed nice footwork, is a willing and capable passer, and played decent defense at times. We’ll like having Zion.

RJ - Some people are going to say he hogged the ball, but with 3 main contributors out, what else was he supposed to do? Yes he was inefficient, but it’s August. He took mid range shots which will fall eventually. He was trying his outside jumper, which he’ll need to open his drive and he backed smaller guards down a lot actually, which shows a great maturity. He is a mature player who has that “I won’t lose” edge. I love it.

Javin - Still doesn’t look comfortable but his effort and athleticism are great tools. He’ll contribute well.

Jack - Played well in the second half. His confidence was up and he had no problem letting it fly. We need shooters and he’s going to be one. His activity on D and on the boards is nice to have as well.

Jordan - Looked inconsistent bringing the ball up and he’s not one to create a lot of shots yet. But he could come in if Tre needs a blow and give the team a steady presence to bring the ball up if nothing else.

Joey - The game is fast for him. His reactions are slow for now and he’s getting lost at times. He should be in high school his year so that’s to be expected. If he can’t get the timing down by the exhibitions, I hope he takes the shirt. We’ll need him as soon as next year.

Tony - He’s Tony. A solid rebounder and space eater. I wish he could find a role, because he’s a more willing post scorer than Ques right now. Even a few minutes off the bench would be great to see. Ques is still the best Big we have.

Justin - He’s in the Jack/Joey triumvirate and he’s probably a peg ahead of Joey at the moment. He had some nice surprise games last year and he can shoot pretty well.

Thanks Mike and Brennan for your hard work.

Go Duke.

Typical game day thread... our 9th man does some good things “dude should play more” “gotta get him more touches”

Our top 5 recruits struggles the 1st 5 minutes of his 1st college basketball scrimmage... “fvcking overrated” “he can’t score at this level” “hope he hustles more”

Oh we did manage to get 1 score update though yhrough 3 pages lol

I know a lot of opposing fans want to see Duke implode, but I do not see it happening. Everything I have read and heard states, Jones, Reddish, Barrett, and Williamson had a group text going on before they all committed and seem to be tight both on and off the court. It sounds familiar to the 2014 Freshmen class of Jones, Okafor, Winslow, and Allen. What I saw from Barrett and Williamson tonight shows they are willing to share the ball.

I know a lot of opposing fans want to see Duke implode, but I do not see it happening. Everything I have read and heard states, Jones, Reddish, Barrett, and Williamson had a group text going on before they all committed and seem to be tight both on and off the court. It sounds familiar to the 2014 Freshmen class of Jones, Okafor, Winslow, and Allen. What I saw from Barrett and Williamson tonight shows they are willing to share the ball.

Chemistry has multiple facets. One is simply do they like each other and you hit the nail on the head on that one. Another is how well their games compliment the others. And they absolutely will be able to play off of each other. This will be a humble and determined team.

I didn't watch the game. We need to keep this in perspective. This team is going to be a work in progress. I expect a roller coaster ride.
If there was ever one of K's teams that needed some games this time of year, its this one. It's been a long time since he hasn't had a reliable upperclassman. I'm gonna TRY and enjoy the ride, and let K drink the Maalox.

I didn't watch the game. We need to keep this in perspective. This team is going to be a work in progress. I expect a roller coaster ride.
If there was ever one of K's teams that needed some games this time of year, its this one. It's been a long time since he hasn't had a reliable upperclassman. I'm gonna TRY and enjoy the ride, and let K drink the Maalox.

I’d warn everyone that the beginning to the season may be a little ugly, but be patient because I think the end will be special. This group has a certain resolve.

Ok so yeah Zion is better than I thought. He moves so effortlessly and he’s under control at all times. I can’t get it through my brain that someone that big can move and jump like that. His shot was on today as well. He was the best player on the court. I figured RJ would take a lot of shots. He had to. No one else besides Zion could create a shot and there was no true point guard out there. With Jones this team will be just fine. I’m ready to see Cam play now

They played a lot more zone than I anticipated. Maybe that had a lot to do with being down three bodies, all of whom are going to be in the top six or seven of their rotation.

The primary thing that many people identified as the likely biggest weakness of this team showed last night, which is shooting. But again, no panic switch because the two players who are probably going to be their best shooters, O'Connell and Reddish, didn't play (Alex barely played).

RJ took a good amount of bad shots and everything was one on one outside of the offense, struggled to score on the second rotating defender who wasn’t even that athletic. I still like his potential but I’ve seen a good amount of freshmen at Duke who looked more NBA ready this early.

Doesn't concern me even a little. His shot selection wasn't perfect, but it wasn't atrocious for a freshman seeing his first action, and one who has the greenest of lights (for good reason). But the main reason it doesn't concern me at all is because he won't be taking 30 shots or grinding to create when Jones, Reddish, and O'Connell are playing as well.

Doesn't concern me even a little. His shot selection wasn't perfect, but it wasn't atrocious for a freshman seeing his first action, and one who has the greenest of lights (for good reason). But the main reason it doesn't concern me at all is because he won't be taking 30 shots or grinding to create when Jones, Reddish, and O'Connell are playing as well.

The shot selection in my opinion was good, especially for an August game. He took decent mid range shots, a few were contested, but those are the types of mid range shots you get, it is what it is. His three point attempts were open and off of kick outs or swings. Again, exactly the types of threes you want to shoot. He posted up smaller guards, which I loved seeing, because wing players never do that. That shows training and awareness. And he’ll get to the line better than anyone in college. He just has that knack.

The stuff just didn’t fall. He shot 12-30. He was still 40% from the field. That ain’t bad y’all. If he hits 3 or 4 more shots, we’re talking about him like he’s a hero. Going 2-8 from 3 and 8-14 from the line leaves a little to be desired, but the form is good so those numbers will increase.

Reactions: HuffyJB
They played a lot more zone than I anticipated. Maybe that had a lot to do with being down three bodies, all of whom are going to be in the top six or seven of their rotation.

The primary thing that many people identified as the likely biggest weakness of this team showed last night, which is shooting. But again, no panic switch because the two players who are probably going to be their best shooters, O'Connell and Reddish, didn't play (Alex barely played).

I recall Koach saying that they haven’t really been conditioning in the practices. So the zone was moreso to give the short handed squad a breather

I thought Jay Bilas did a great job discussing how it was RJ's first Duke game ever and was being played in his hometown, he was pressing, he played poorly and still scored over 30 lol. I think he plays great tomorrow night now that he got the first one out of the way.

Zion is just incredible to watch, Bilas said over and over that he has never seen anyone like Zion playing college basketball, and he's right. Zion was WAY BETTER than I thought he would look in August. He seemed to be in TERRIFIC shape too, seemed like everyone else got tired by the 3rd quarter, not Zion.

Bolden struggled, our offense was very clogged with him in. It could just quite possibly be that bigs like Bolden aren't cut-out for summer ball, it's a guards game. He made a few nice defensive plays though.

AOC will be fine, hope he plays tomorrow.

Goldwire came in and gave some good minutes, but he still has a ways to go before we can ever count on him for anything more than emergency minutes, he struggled going by his man.

Besides ZIon, Jack White was the pleasant surprise of the night. His stroke looked GREAT, and he was letting it fly with confidence. We need Jack's three-point shot, and his rebounding was excellent too, he really knows how to clear out space for not being that big.

Justin Robinson knows his role, stood at the 3 point line and got some great looks, they just didn't go down.

I bet Baker redshirts, he is very thin.

The shot selection in my opinion was good, especially for an August game. He took decent mid range shots, a few were contested, but those are the types of mid range shots you get, it is what it is. His three point attempts were open and off of kick outs or swings. Again, exactly the types of threes you want to shoot. He posted up smaller guards, which I loved seeing, because wing players never do that. That shows training and awareness. And he’ll get to the line better than anyone in college. He just has that knack.

The stuff just didn’t fall. He shot 12-30. He was still 40% from the field. That ain’t bad y’all. If he hits 3 or 4 more shots, we’re talking about him like he’s a hero. Going 2-8 from 3 and 8-14 from the line leaves a little to be desired, but the form is good so those numbers will increase.
Like you said, he shot 40%. Hardly efficient, but hardly awful. And i agree, who else was going to take those shots yesterday haha. I think with Cam and pray to Jesus Alex can come back healthy, the floor opens up even more. He won’t be asked to play point with Tre, who ultimately should be able to get him the ball in ideal scoring positions. My only real knock is i hope 8-14 isn’t the norm from the stripe.

Reactions: dukehokie
To me, the biggest surprise was Zion. He looked very good in all aspects of the game.
But Bolden was sort of a disappointment. IDGAF about his O, we'll be fine on O no matter what our C does. But his d and rebounding were weak. Jav might ultimately be a better fit as the nominal big on the team.

Like you said, he shot 40%. Hardly efficient, but hardly awful. And i agree, who else was going to take those shots yesterday haha. I think with Cam and pray to Jesus Alex can come back healthy, the floor opens up even more. He won’t be asked to play point with Tre, who ultimately should be able to get him the ball in ideal scoring positions. My only real knock is i hope 8-14 isn’t the norm from the stripe.

The only way I’ll accept him being 60% from the line is if he can get there 20 times a game. Hahah. With RJ and Duke getting all the calls, that may be possible.

Alex has orbital floor fracture. He will be completely heeled in couple weeks. That’s really good news. If surgery was needed would have couple months.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT