ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS NORTH CAROLINA OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

I hope that you don't mind the thoughts that pop into my head. I'm a UNC fan, but I've been treated better at DI than at UNC sites.
1. Duke needs to bring in an assistant coach from the outside. Coach K is the best college coach ever. It's impossible for his former players to tell him what he needs to hear
2. Mark Williams is terrific. He will be a good NBA player. The staff needs to recruit him harder than any other prospect. He should return for his sophomore year. Playing against Banchero in practice will help him. Leading a top 10 team, playing every game on TV will be more valuable than being the 13th man for the Grizzlies
3. Tape' is tiny. I've watched lots of Duke games. He was out with the back injury, and I never noticed him if he played. He looked like Bacot's little cousin. In his best year at Columbia, he averaged 11 points and 6 rebounds
So there was no reason to expect production from him.
4. Hurt should not return. He will never play in the NBA. He should play in a country that doesn't test for PEDs. Hurt had a great year. 18 points per game. 999 times out of a thousand I would never advocate steroids, but Hurt can make a million dollars a year if an excellent doctor and trainer can improve his strength and speed
5. Goldwire should play college basketball somewhere next year. He's probably learned all he can at Duke. He should get a graduate degree for free where he can really contribute. Perhaps Harvard with Amaker. Maybe Michigan...Juwan Howard is doing great things. An MBA from Michigan or Harvard would be great

Baker needs a fresh start. He could be a tremendous player at a mid-major or low major. He is a good shooter when he has time. He traveled tonight catching the ball in the open court because he knew that he needed extra time to release his shot. He's a half step slow. He could help Winthrop or Belmont win a conference title. He's a 6'6" power forward

Reactions: jeffrey236
Baker could still help us with leadership and shooting next year. But he's probably the 9th man. I agree Williams needs to come back. If Banchero has to play the 5 we're not going to be that good. We will make the tournament but probably won't go far.

You are so right. You've been right all these years. No doubt if you were coaching we would never lose. I certainly hope you let whover the Duke AD is when Coach leaves that you will let him or her know who you are and how well you are qualified to be our next coach. You have my full support. I have been a fool for not supporting you all these years and I ask for your forgiveness. OFC
One of those guys I see. Don’t kiss is a$$ your whole life. It’s ok to critique him. He’s not God

Reactions: toophly1124
Rewind to the beginning of the season. Coach in effect didn't want this CBB season to be played.

I am not sure if people "checked out" but I think Covid is one heck of a distraction.

I am visiting Las Vegas in a few weeks, which just happens to be the opening weekend of the NCAA Tournament. I will attempt to enjoy it as any other season (hang out at the pool and then watch some ball) but honestly I never fully bought in or committed to this season. I needed the Cameron Crazies and the Rivalry games to pull me in. So I sympathize with the players. I bet a few of them just want to play basketball and are instead forced to take challenging Duke courses online. Rather brutal.

Since '99 UNC is 20-32 against Duke. That's a paltry 38% win percentage against your biggest rival. So yes, Duke has been branding that baby blue ass for a long, long time.

ah so the clock doesnt start until 99 when Duke began its best 5 year stretch in its history and UNC began its worst? Understood. Starting in 99 Duke finished #1 in the AP poll going into the tourney 5 years in a row while UNC had 2 years of a bridge coach Gut and 3 years of Doherty. Duke was 13-4 against those 2 coaches lol

since Roy took over the series is 23-19 in favor of Duke. No arguments there. The difference there comes down to we had 2 mass exodus/injury disaster seasons in 2010 and 2020 and you guys had yours this year. The rivalry is basically a toss up head to head with the occasional dominance on both sides. Our Hansbrough/Green class owned Duke while our Paige/Johnson class got owned by Duke

so while I guess you do (barely) have the head to head to fall back on, facts remain that since Roy took over UNC has 3 national titles to Duke’s 2, 5 final fours to Duke’s 3, and 9 ACC titles to Duke’s 3. Even if you are the most rabid Duke fan on earth there is no way you can dispute UNC has been the more successful program in the Roy era

ah so the clock doesnt start until 99 when Duke began its best 5 year stretch in its history and UNC began its worst? Understood. Starting in 99 Duke finished #1 in the AP poll going into the tourney 5 years in a row while UNC had 2 years of a bridge coach Gut and 3 years of Doherty. Duke was 13-4 against those 2 coaches lol

since Roy took over the series is 23-19 in favor of Duke. No arguments there. The difference there comes down to we had 2 mass exodus/injury disaster seasons in 2010 and 2020 and you guys had yours this year. The rivalry is basically a toss up head to head with the occasional dominance on both sides. Our Hansbrough/Green class owned Duke while our Paige/Johnson class got owned by Duke

so while I guess you do (barely) have the head to head to fall back on, facts remain that since Roy took over UNC has 3 national titles to Duke’s 2, 5 final fours to Duke’s 3, and 9 ACC titles to Duke’s 3. Even if you are the most rabid Duke fan on earth there is no way you can dispute UNC has been the more successful program in the Roy era
Hard to take you seriously when you consider the Helms as a true national title. Just stop; you are swinging and missing, making yourself look like a complete ass.

Hard to take you seriously when you consider the Helms as a true national title. Just stop; you are swinging and missing, making yourself look like a complete ass.

Amen hes flailing away at air, completely ignoring the academic scandal which was peaking during 2 of Roy's title runs. Oh wait, thats rite, "regular students" were able to take AFAM classes too after they found out about it. Hey, they were never supposed to find out about the bogus classes engineered by 'cheatin Dean Smith. The AFAM building was the REAL DEAN DOME!LMAO.....OFC

Reactions: skysdad
I hope that you don't mind the thoughts that pop into my head. I'm a UNC fan, but I've been treated better at DI than at UNC sites.
1. Duke needs to bring in an assistant coach from the outside. Coach K is the best college coach ever. It's impossible for his former players to tell him what he needs to hear
2. Mark Williams is terrific. He will be a good NBA player. The staff needs to recruit him harder than any other prospect. He should return for his sophomore year. Playing against Banchero in practice will help him. Leading a top 10 team, playing every game on TV will be more valuable than being the 13th man for the Grizzlies
3. Tape' is tiny. I've watched lots of Duke games. He was out with the back injury, and I never noticed him if he played. He looked like Bacot's little cousin. In his best year at Columbia, he averaged 11 points and 6 rebounds
4. Hurt should not return. He will never play in the NBA. He should play in a country that doesn't test for PEDs. Hurt had a great year. 18 points per game. 999 times out of a thousand I would never advocate steroids, but Hurt can make a million dollars a year if an excellent doctor and trainer can improve his strength and speed
5. Goldwire should play college basketball somewhere next year. He's probably learned all he can at Duke. He should get a graduate degree for free where he can really contribute. Perhaps Harvard with Amaker. Maybe Michigan...Juwan Howard is doing great things. An MBA from Michigan or Harvard would be great

NICE POST AND YOUR TEAM LOOKED GREAT ged. ged is one of the few UNC fans who is a REALIST, and I enjoy his posts and conversing w/him.

OFC

Mannn. Now we’re the 10 seed in the bottom bracket. If we can beat BC, we have LOU, then FSU. 2 teams I wanted to stay away from back to back. Then either UNC/VT. Then likely UVA. Woooohh what a run that would be! One for the books!

The 1957 title under McGuire was also bogus. Bunch of paid players from NYC.

Reactions: Fourteen44
Mannn. Now we’re the 10 seed in the bottom bracket. If we can beat BC, we have LOU, then FSU. 2 teams I wanted to stay away from back to back. Then either UNC/VT. Then likely UVA. Woooohh what a run that would be! One for the books!
It doesn’t matter who we play...we really need to stay away from almost every team...

It’s almost over....we will all be out of our misery soon enough watching this team.

The season’s not over, but the fat lady is getting ready. What looked a little promising not too long ago has all but vanished. The team has gotten worse, which seems to be a more familiar pattern with Duke teams over the last few seasons.

We can’t hide Hurt. Teams attack him. Brakefield has regressed so bad, Roach has regressed as well, Baker has shown to be a situational player only, and Steward at times plays as if he has ADHD. It’s painful to watch them play.

I don’t like using the Covid thing as an excuse because every team is in the same boat. There’s plenty of blame to go around, and it’s not all on the players.

@geddoughton23 made a point about K bringing in an assistant that’s not one of his former players. I’ve felt this way for a long time.

Reactions: christophero

This is an amazing post. Other than advocating Hurt to take steroids (am I naive to think someone can work hard in the weight room and that would be adequate?) your comments are spot on. Like Coach K, we need an outside opinion occasionally.

Tape' is not the big guy he was advertised to be. He must be 6'7", 220 lbs. I thought Coleman was going to be able to bang with UNX but he's also too short. And Hurt 's lack of athleticism was pretty obvious. Not trying to disparage our guys--they are who they are.

I just don't understand how UNX plays like a Final Four team against us and then loses to teams that Duke beats. I guess we have to elevate our game like that too.

What bothers me is that we could not get one win in the last 3 games when our season depended on it. And the fact that we came out so flat yesterday. The game was over when it was 20 to 4. Does all that change in a year? I hope so.

Reactions: Mac9192
Watching the first half, I was extremely shocked and disappointed. Never have I seen a Duke team which seemed to know less about what they should be doing. Couldn't guard. Couldn't move the ball around effectively. Had trouble finding open shots. Inexcusable turnovers at important times. Worst performance in all areas ever. Why? Were our players over-rated coming out of high school? Was losing JJ a bigger deal than we thought it would be? Did we not recruit the right mix of players (like another point guard and big man)? Was there a problem with coaching and motivation? None/some/or all of the above? It worries me a lot the we do not yet have a point guard coming in next year. To add to the worries, we could easily lose both Baldwin and Keels, given what they will likely be playing with if they come to Duke. Since 1995, I cannot remember K having so many issues to have to solve for an upcoming season. OFC

Reactions: christophero
What bothers me is that we could not get one win in the last 3 games when our season depended on it. And the fact that we came out so flat yesterday. The game was over when it was 20 to 4. Does all that change in a year? I hope so.
Agree, I’m not sure how much better we will be. It’s up to the guards to make HUGE leaps. I was hoping we’d land pbj for his shooting but that’s not happening. I feel this year we were awful, next year might be more of a meh team. Unc returning basically everyone and they’ll be really good.

Agree, I’m not sure how much better we will be. It’s up to the guards to make HUGE leaps. I was hoping we’d land pbj for his shooting but that’s not happening. I feel this year we were awful, next year might be more of a meh team. Unc returning basically everyone and they’ll be really good.
I saw Sharpe and Love in the first round of a recent mock draft.

No one is leaving unc but Brooks and Black of the regulars and if they are eligible for another year like Goldwire they will be back. hof coach roy williams has a knack for holding who with white, anthony and little as exceptions. He will just tell them they are not ready . OFC

No one is leaving unc but Brooks and Black of the regulars and if they are eligible for another year like Goldwire they will be back. hof coach roy williams has a knack for holding who with white, anthony and little as exceptions. He will just tell them they are not ready . OFC
Exactly, hell if Kessler came to duke he’d probably be leaving after this year but somehow he’ll graduate from unc

Reactions: skysdad
There are no alphas on this team. Other than Hurt and maybe Steward no one seems to want the ball. If we don't improve we will lose to BC. Banchero seems like an alpha. Perhaps guys will grow into that role. We looked scared yesterday.

There are no alphas on this team. Other than Hurt and maybe Steward no one seems to want the ball. If we don't improve we will lose to BC. Banchero seems like an alpha. Perhaps guys will grow into that role. We looked scared yesterday.
Yup, these guys are soft. You need a Winslow bulldog on this team. These guys get hit in the mouth and back down

Yup, these guys are soft. You need a Winslow bulldog on this team. These guys get hit in the mouth and back down

I don't how throw back players Mike Lewis or Randy Denton would fit in to today's game but you can bet that unc would not have the freedom they had in the paint they had last night. They would pay for it every time they hung down low and hit the glass. Both Denton and Lewis were physical and knew how to play inside physically. OFC

And as bad as we’ve been this year, we still didn’t have a 6-14 record.

Reactions: hart2chesson
It doesn’t matter who we play...we really need to stay away from almost every team...

It’s almost over....we will all be out of our misery soon enough watching this team.

I’d bet a lot of money your just a miserable person in general. Bad tipper, foods never good enough, under paid over worked type employee, don’t like your neighbors, pain in the ass parent at a 2nd grade basketball ball game etc etc etc etc

Duke season ending isn’t going to end your misery bud.

Reactions: QC Dukie
The season’s not over, but the fat lady is getting ready. What looked a little promising not too long ago has all but vanished. The team has gotten worse, which seems to be a more familiar pattern with Duke teams over the last few seasons.

We can’t hide Hurt. Teams attack him. Brakefield has regressed so bad, Roach has regressed as well, Baker has shown to be a situational player only, and Steward at times plays as if he has ADHD. It’s painful to watch them play.

I don’t like using the Covid thing as an excuse because every team is in the same boat. There’s plenty of blame to go around, and it’s not all on the players.

@geddoughton23 made a point about K bringing in an assistant that’s not one of his former players. I’ve felt this way for a long time.
What makes anyone think if K won’t listen to his own players and staff why would he listen to an outsider?
Point blank, K just needs to get back to coaching and doing it his way. The article I just read K even said he should of had his players better prepared. They had good practices but it didn’t translate into the game. It’s like that old saying,” you can lead a horse to water but can’t make it drink!” Same with players you can show them and tell them things repetitively , doesn’t mean they are gonna execute once the game starts.

Two or three times this year coach K came out and said he didn’t have the team prepared enough. When have we ever heard him say that multiple times? He knows he did a piss poor jobs with roles and schemes

Two or three times this year coach K came out and said he didn’t have the team prepared enough. When have we ever heard him say that multiple times? He knows he did a piss poor jobs with roles and schemes
He’s not one to throw players under the bus.

I’d bet a lot of money your just a miserable person in general. Bad tipper, foods never good enough, under paid over worked type employee, don’t like your neighbors, pain in the ass parent at a 2nd grade basketball ball game etc etc etc etc

Duke season ending isn’t going to end your misery bud.
Well you would be wrong...

I own my business...I own all the land the business occupies.....

I have also coached two athletes in the last two years to American Records...and another one on the USA National Team...

I support my restaurants and also food trucks as they try and make it......I tip extensively....and I don’t complain if they get my order wrong ever....I go with it...

I am defiantly overworked...perk of being an owner....but I am hardly underpaid :)...also a per

I do just fine thanks...

All said....Duke still has been horrible this year and the coaching staff has not done a good job....no two ways around that. The misery of watching the train wreck is still almost over....

It’s comical when people associate a free message board about a team performance with actual life...we could always just cancel the board....it seems to be what we are supposed to do if you don’t like or disagree with something now days.

When Dukes season ends this week you are probably right....my misery in this life will probably continue...lolol...I could only be so unlucky....

Last edited:
He’s not one to throw players under the bus.
True he doesn’t do that. But, are you saying it’s only on the players, or you just incapable of saying K owns any of this?

There is culpability on all sides...coaching and players. Coach K is a proponent of leadership principles he learned at West Point and that is why he takes responsibility for the season/losses. However, by his own tenents, the "fist" dynamic has been missing this year. Even if you form a fist but punch incorrectly you will break your hand or lack any power. Our team lacked any cohesion/power playing together all year and that falls squarely on leadership and coaching. Lets hope that this season was an abnormality for many reasons, and that order is restored when life/sports and Duke traditions get back to normal

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT