ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS MIAMI OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

I think K addressed it....the team is soft and mentally weak...not engaged at times..don’t listen....don’t respond....

You hear an awful lot about the individual work coaches are doing with players...how much work so and so is putting in with such and such coach....

You know what you don’t hear about? Any kind of overall “team” development....the fact that every player is accountable on the floor to the men beside them....we have become and NBA developmental program....a lot of individual work....not so much with overall team development...

That’s a coaching problem....when coaches are not holding the players accountable to one another how in the world do you expect players to?

Jalen Johnson was the epitome of not mentally engaged last night....posters including myself could see it and where posting about it the entire first half....K did nothing as one example....no accountability.....no action...nothing...

That last play was a total laugh of where he was all night....he shouldn’t have even been on the floor. No accountability to the team...but he was given more than enough grace because he’s supposedly talented...

That in itself would of pissed me off as a player....he hurt the team the entire night...coaches did absolutely nothing....

Shouldn't you be out on a ledge somewhere?

Sorry you can't handle facts...it will be ok we will have a new Uber talented crop next year...and I hope the glue goldwire comes back...he means so much to this team

I will always be a fan, no matter what. Yes, it is tough to see them lose, but, many of us older fans have been here before. Things will get better, have faith. Maybe not this year, but ,this has been the most screwed up year of all time to begin with . And, I still have faith in coach K. I'll take him over any of his "family", any day. Ok , i expect to get beat up on.

Reactions: germantondevil
I get the frustration, and ultimately it all falls on K regardless of weather it’s truly a K thing or not. Not gonna waste time on that argument. Some classes are more ready then others, some kids receive what K teaches quicker, some classes just don’t mesh like others. I’m personally gonna continue to trust in K. Never ever has it been a given right that a K coached Duke team would be dominant year in and out. This is as very bad as it gets for Duke- NO OTHER program can say that. These kids are trying- this staff is trying from my view. Gonna take a hell of a lot more then this, and go on hell of a lot longer for this guy to give up.
FACTS!!!!....i was disappointed at the end of the game...shouldn't have lost, but its a basketball game....this is this groups journey...that 2010 group started kinda rough

Sorry Mr everything is fine with Duke basketball...sorry to inform you but everything IS NOT fine

7-6 with zero quality wins...yes embarrassing
I never said everything is “fine” I’ve just already put this season into perspective. You’re one of the many embarrassing spoiled fans getting left behind🤷‍♂️

I never said everything is “fine” I’ve just already put this season into perspective. You’re one of the many embarrassing spoiled fans getting left behind🤷‍♂️

The embarrassment is people like you

If you don't like my post just bypass them or better yet STFU

• Haha
Reactions: IFaZe
I think K addressed it....the team is soft and mentally weak...not engaged at times..don’t listen....don’t respond....

You hear an awful lot about the individual work coaches are doing with players...how much work so and so is putting in with such and such coach....

You know what you don’t hear about? Any kind of overall “team” development....the fact that every player is accountable on the floor to the men beside them....we have become and NBA developmental program....a lot of individual work....not so much with overall team development...

That’s a coaching problem....when coaches are not holding the players accountable to one another how in the world do you expect players to?

Jalen Johnson was the epitome of not mentally engaged last night....posters including myself could see it and where posting about it the entire first half....K did nothing as one example....no accountability.....no action...nothing...

That last play was a total laugh of where he was all night....he shouldn’t have even been on the floor. No accountability to the team...but he was given more than enough grace because he’s supposedly talented...

That in itself would of pissed me off as a player....he hurt the team the entire night...coaches did absolutely nothing....
Well put.

The embarrassment is people like you

If you don't like my post just bypass them or better yet STFU
The disappointing state of our program is reflected by the fact that Goldwire had more time on the court than any other player, 35 minutes I think, shot 2 for 10, had only 1 assist against 3 TO's. Far from the first time he has had such lackluster stats. I am sorry, but why did we bring in only one point guard, knowing that we had only the poor-shooting Goldwire on the team. I do not think that there is another team in the ACC where he could have gotten anywhere near that much time. I would be happier if his role was simply to spell Roach, which would allow Roach to get the experience needed to evolve into a good PG.

OFC

Alright, I'll say it. It's the suits. K and staff need to go back to suits and ties for all games. Frankly, I am not sure why things changed??? And nothing flashy either. I want dark, neutral color suits with solid color Duke blue ties. I want it to look like an IBM board meeting on the bench. It's this casual, sweat pants coaching staff look that's killing our mojo.

The disappointing state of our program is reflected by the fact that Goldwire had more time on the court than any other player, 35 minutes I think, shot 2 for 10, had only 1 assist against 3 TO's. Far from the first time he has had such lackluster stats. I am sorry, but why did we bring in only one point guard, knowing that we had only the poor-shooting Goldwire on the team. I do not think that there is another team in the ACC where he could have gotten anywhere near that much time. I would be happier if his role was simply to spell Roach, which would allow Roach to get the experience needed to evolve into a good PG.

OFC

Agreed, since the PG is essentially the QB of the team, you would think that would be the most important role to recruit and have depth. We used to have 2 very capable guards every year. This year if you look at the stats, its our opponents that are eating us alive at that position - scoring, assists and FT's. This isn't Goldwires fault, he is being put in a position he isn't equipped to handle. He is the 5-10 min energy defensive player to change the flow...not the court general.

Steward was lost last night in the zone defense. When Duke first went to a zone several games back it was Baker at the top that appeared to be Duke’s best zone defender. Coach should have given him more minutes last night especially while they were in the zone. I for one am tired of hearing about Goldwire’s defense. 4 straight games Miami did not score 60 points . All it took was Duke’s porous defense and turnovers to start jump the Canes offense.

Steward was lost last night in the zone defense. When Duke first went to a zone several games back it was Baker at the top that appeared to be Duke’s best zone defender. Coach should have given him more minutes last night especially while they were in the zone. I for one am tired of hearing about Goldwire’s defense. 4 straight games Miami did not score 60 points . All it took was Duke’s porous defense and turnovers to start jump the Canes offense.

And I for one and tired of hearing about baker every single game....the guy makes one shot a month and is horrible defensively... IMO he isn't a high D1 player...he would be better off at a lower level D1 program

When is the last time Baker played more than 2-3 minutes without being subbed? Give him 10-14 minutes a game before deciding where he belongs.

Reactions: Devilinside

I think it’s also a product of a lack of upper class leadership. All through Coach K’ss tenure, his good teams have had strong leaders, vocal leaders, even if those juniors / seniors were not necessarily the best players talent wise on the team. Of course Coach K doesn’t have the energy level he used to have. These players have some raw talent that could be molded but they play with such sloppiness it’s just difficult to watch when you’ve watched Duke and coach K’s teams for 40 years!

One telling statistic from last night is Duke scored 75 points on only eight assists. That speaks to your point about the lack of a “team“ orientation. The five finger fist is missing. Perhaps it’s an inability to relate to certain players, perhaps it’s players coming to Duke who expected to be stars right away, the next Zion or any other number of Duke freshman who were Great right off the bat. And since these players are not that, perhaps they become more self oriented, more curved in on themselves, especially if they don’t get playing time or can’t be the star and the team is losing.

There still is potential in the young talent, but it does need to become a lot more disciplined and a lot stronger physically and mentally. Whether that happens over the next two, three years remains to be seen; but I think it is probably unlikely if we look back at the pattern in the past where young players come in, don’t flash talent right away, and then sit the bench or transfer as star freshman recruits take up playing time in the years that follow. Only to see Duke go down early because of a lack of experience or development and a lack of physical / mental toughness when facing older teams in the tournament.

This year is a wash - for 90% of the blue bloods of CBB. The next couple of years will be telling.

Reactions: Devilinside
I'm use to it this year...we are bad period...others keep making excuses...mine are facts
Yes, we are bad this year. It's not excuses, it's called having perspective and recognizing the reasons we are struggling without having to put the team or coaches down. Just because the team is bad doesn't mean you need to lose perspective.

So the freshmen are not up to Duke's usual standards. They play young and don't seem particularly gritty. This is compounded by the lack of a preseason. And maybe our coach isn't what he was 15 years ago but he still knows more about basketball than all of us put together. Maybe the team will still get it together. I have no doubt Coach K and his staff will not give up.

Even assuming Hurt leaves, we'll be better and more athletic next year. Frankly if anyone else leaves, I can't consider it a huge loss.

Yes, we are bad this year. It's not excuses, it's called having perspective and recognizing the reasons we are struggling without having to put the team or coaches down. Just because the team is bad doesn't mean you need to lose perspective.

Oh trust me I know exactly why we are bad

I think it’s also a product of a lack of upper class leadership. All through Coach K’ss tenure, his good teams have had strong leaders, vocal leaders, even if those juniors / seniors were not necessarily the best players talent wise on the team. Of course Coach K doesn’t have the energy level he used to have. These players have some raw talent that could be molded but they play with such sloppiness it’s just difficult to watch when you’ve watched Duke and coach K’s teams for 40 years!

One telling statistic from last night is Duke scored 75 points on only eight assists. That speaks to your point about the lack of a “team“ orientation. The five finger fist is missing. Perhaps it’s an inability to relate to certain players, perhaps it’s players coming to Duke who expected to be stars right away, the next Zion or any other number of Duke freshman who were Great right off the bat. And since these players are not that, perhaps they become more self oriented, more curved in on themselves, especially if they don’t get playing time or can’t be the star and the team is losing.

There still is potential in the young talent, but it does need to become a lot more disciplined and a lot stronger physically and mentally. Whether that happens over the next two, three years remains to be seen; but I think it is probably unlikely if we look back at the pattern in the past where young players come in, don’t flash talent right away, and then sit the bench or transfer as star freshman recruits take up playing time in the years that follow. Only to see Duke go down early because of a lack of experience or development and a lack of physical / mental toughness when facing older teams in the tournament.

This year is a wash - for 90% of the blue bloods of CBB. The next couple of years will be telling.
Your point about assists is telling. Our supposed point guard had 1 in 35 minutes. OFC

Your point about assists is telling. Our supposed point guard had 1 in 35 minutes. OFC
In the two previous games, he had a total of 12 assists with 1 turnover. He also chipped in with 15 points and 11 rebounds.

Anybody with half a brain that watches the games can tell goldwire is pathetic offensively and he SHOULD NOT be playing 35 in ANY game period

What in the heck has happened to Brakefield? Guy seemed on the verge of starting, and now poof. I know he's a freshman and inconsistent and all, but I hope he rediscovers his game.

Reactions: geddoughton23
What in the heck has happened to Brakefield? Guy seemed on the verge of starting, and now poof. I know he's a freshman and inconsistent and all, but I hope he rediscovers his game.

Yep, I was wondering the same thing. I recall thinking early on in the season he had a Justice Winslow "in the rough" look to his game. I would love to see him develop.

Reactions: christophero
Brakefield appears to struggle defensively. Not that the rest of the team is any great shakes at it.

Reactions: christophero
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT