ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Starters Working Overtime

I was a little worried about Quinn resting only 1 minute during a 5 game span (including 2 overtimes), but even with that ...20 year olds should be able to handle it, especially since K is cutting practices short. I'm more worried about serious foul trouble (with our lack of bodies) than I am about minutes. But so far, we've been pretty fortunate in regards to foul trouble. K knows what he's doing.

OFC

The videos that were put out before the start of the season showing the team running up and down the steps at Wallace Wade to get in shape along with all the hard work the team has been putting in during the season is definitely paying off because I haven't really seen too many signs that the team is wearing down from so much playing time which is a good thing considering we only have 3 bench players.

This post was edited on 3/1 10:02 PM by DiehardDukeFan4Life

I thinks he bench needs more playing time.
14 minutes for Jefferson, 8 for Marshall and 7 for Allen are not enough especially in a 19 pt win.
The problem will come when Duke may have to play 3 games a row in ACC tournament or 2 games in three days during NCAA's.

I remember a few years back, 2011 I believe, when Syracuse was making so much buzz about playing 10 guys every game and going 10 or 11 deep. Then they lost to Butler in the sweet sixteen. I think rotations and depth depend much more on who it is that is doing the playing. Singlers freshmen year he battled bigger guys at the 5 most of the year and that may have wore him down. This year I haven't seen any of our guys show signs of fatigue. Jah definitely knows how to save himself. Im not sure Cook, Tyus or Winslow can get tired. Foul trouble could be an issue, but we have enough of a bench to handle that situation. Besides, even if we were still 10 deep, foul trouble would still be an issue unless you want to pretend that Plumlee and Jah are the same player.

We were tired in stretches during the UNC game. But congrats to espn for bringing back the tired legs narrative!

With 5 days off between regular season-ACCT & another 5 days off before NCAAT, we'll be fine.

Originally posted by stanleyduke:
We were tired in stretches during the UNC game. But congrats to espn for bringing back the tired legs narrative!
I don't think they're bringing it back. The article was actually well done, IMO. They could have gone on one direction if they wanted but I don't believe they did.

And I agree about the UNC game....but I think that had a lot to do with the hype that goes into it. After that game our guys were mentally and physically shot. I don't blame them.

Originally posted by dukiejay:

Originally posted by stanleyduke:
I don't think they're bringing it back. The article was actually well done, IMO. They could have gone on one direction if they wanted but I don't believe they did.

And I agree about the UNC game....but I think that had a lot to do with the hype that goes into it. After that game our guys were mentally and physically shot. I don't blame them.
I think the pace of the game was probably just as big of a problem. From a strategic perspective, Coach K probably made a bit of a mistake by not telling the guys to slow the tempo down and make it more of a possession-by-possession game. UNC struggles in half court settings, but loves transition and has the depth to play an extremely fast-paced game (+ is used to playing very fast). UVA, in an average game, takes less than 50 shots a night. In the game against NC State, for instance, UNC took 55 shots. Against Duke, UNC took 83 shots. Even if you account for the OT, that's a huge difference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT