ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Offers 2 2024 SG/SF

I suspect the staff views these two guys as 2 guards. Don't know much about Edgecombe but Knueppel is regarded as an outstanding shooter.

Kon Knueppel

VJ Edgecombe

Knueppel has been highly rated for a while and a really good shooter. VJ has come on strong with a big time Spring. Think both could play SG or SF. Would think that Scheyer would push Knueppel towards SG and VJ towards SF (he’s a guy that will be at Duke 3 years).

If Scheyer can recruit anybody, it should be Knueppel as they are/were identical players coming out of HS. Both Midwest kids that would be tall SGs and had very smooth strokes.

I don't know how Scheyer etc. can evaluate guys like this. Knueppel is shooting set shots against very little defense. Edgecomb is dunking against guys who don't have interest in playing help defense. Impossilbe to picture how they will play against good competition.

• Haha
Reactions: Tik Tok
I don't know how Scheyer etc. can evaluate guys like this. Knueppel is shooting set shots against very little defense. Edgecomb is dunking against guys who don't have interest in playing help defense. Impossilbe to picture how they will play against good competition.
Sounds like both performed quite well at the NBAPA Top 100 Camp

Both look like multi-year players, so I would be on board for either. If we get both it’ll be interesting to see how our whole rotation works with the possibility of Power coming back, Schutt still being there, and Evans/Harris also coming in.

That Kon kid has Big 10 written all over him haha. He could be Ryan Young's son.

Looking ahead to the 26 class we have a local from Reidsville NC that hasn't decided if it's football or basketball. His name is Kendre Harrison 6'6 235 and has offers from most SEC and ACC for football but is getting lot of offers now for basketball. He has visited Duke. Let's offer him both sports and get him in a Duke uniform. At UNC camp ran a 4.6 40 #1 recruit for 2026 at tight end.

My guess is that he will choose basketball. At that age, he would be likely to grow another 4 or 5 inches.

Yes, because evaluations are done by these short clips that fans see…. 😂

Scheyer from Illinois. Just have to play the "when was the last time the Big 14 won a nati?" And "we beat Wisky twice, including at their place, in 2015" card.

Is Kon a SG? If so, how does this workout? Foster and McCain I believe will be back, and Evans is a SF, but could play SG.

He looks like a 3
I've never bought into positionless basketball. It sounds nice, but unless you are LeBron or Grant Hill or Moore most of our guys have a set position.

Last edited:
Is Kon a SG? If so, how does this workout? Foster and McCain I believe will be back, and Evans is a SF, but could play SG.
Don’t buy into the ,” MCCain will be back hype !” Wait to see how his season goes . I have a feeling he will be gone after this season . The draft is so weak in 24’ it’s unreal .

Don’t buy into the ,” MCCain will be back hype !” Wait to see how his season goes . I have a feeling he will be gone after this season . The draft is so weak in 24’ it’s unreal .
We will have to see. Its certainly possible and it wouldn't shock me, but I've only heard "multi" year guy. I feel like Jon has greatly changed the way he's recruiting kids and Jared doesn't scream one and done.

'24 draft is definitely weak.

I know it’s way too early to tell. But, per NBADraftRoom, McCain is at pick 12. He’s in the lottery in other mocks too.

Proctor 9, Flip 21, Mitchell 27.

If McCain plays like a lottery talent, that will take us to another level. I’m very excited to see him for Duke.

I know it’s way too early to tell. But, per NBADraftRoom, McCain is at pick 12. He’s in the lottery in other mocks too.

Proctor 9, Flip 21, Mitchell 27.

If McCain plays like a lottery talent, that will take us to another level. I’m very excited to see him for Duke.
I agree, I think if we have at least one freshman play themselves into a lottery pick then the team is going to be in great shape come March.

Well a mock draft in July for a draft that's next June is as worthless as the $20 bill in our economy. Jared could certainly be a one and done, but wouldn't shocked it he stays for his sophomore year.

6'2, maybe 6'3 for a shooting guard may not have teams running to turn his card in, unless he's truly lethal from three this year. If he is, that's a good sign for us this year!

Well a mock draft in July for a draft that's next June is as worthless as the $20 bill in our economy. Jared could certainly be a one and done, but wouldn't shocked it he stays for his sophomore year.

6'2, maybe 6'3 for a shooting guard may not have teams running to turn his card in, unless he's truly lethal from three this year. If he is, that's a good sign for us this year!
I think it’s a combo of a. The draft next year is the weakest in a very long time and b. The NBA really values 3 point shooting and that’s what Jared does best.

Reactions: sheyduke
I think it’s a combo of a. The draft next year is the weakest in a very long time and b. The NBA really values 3 point shooting and that’s what Jared does best.
Yes, nba values three point shooting. He's listed at 6'2 so him lighting it up from three is his ticket. Not sure I have the expectation he will be a sniper from three since this class is very weak.

If he is, great for us. I just think it's silly to not atleast think hes got a good chance at being at Duke for 2 years.

I know I saw where he said he's 6'4 now so if that's true, that really will boost his stock. We will see what he measures at this summer.

Yea, I would have my doubts about him being a one and done. IMO, his future is developing PG skills plus I am not sure that he will get tons of playing time this year with Roach and Proctor back, but we will see. On the other hand, him telling the coach that he plans on one year only would help explain all the offers to wings in the 24 class.

Reactions: JimboSlice00

Hey, if you have some $20 bills you don't need, please contact me. I know someone who can give them a good home. :)

I do think pennies are pretty useless. When I get 2 back I'm like what am I suppossed to do with these?
Supposedly it costs more than a penny to manufacture a penny. But there actually is a constituency that somehow thinks pennies should be preserved. Curious.

Speaking of McCain. He's not going to beat out Proctor or Roach. Duke may play three guards some but if they do either Foster or Schutt—both listed at 6-5—are more likely to be that nominal 3 than McCain. But Proctor and Roach are both likely to be gone after next season, giving McCain a great chance to play a bigger role and make a better case to the NBA as a sophomore.

Supposedly it costs more than a penny to manufacture a penny. But there actually is a constituency that somehow thinks pennies should be preserved. Curious.

Speaking of McCain. He's not going to beat out Proctor or Roach. Duke may play three guards some but if they do either Foster or Schutt—both listed at 6-5—are more likely to be that nominal 3 than McCain. But Proctor and Roach are both likely to be gone after next season, giving McCain a great chance to play a bigger role and make a better case to the NBA as a sophomore.

That makes sense. What impact do you anticipate McCain having overall this season, i.e., Top 7-8 rotation player, 20 min a game, other?

If Duke is in a 3 guard set, I want our best shooter at that spot as much as possible. Duke's been short on snipers in recent years. I still like Schutt to get a chance, but it must be more than a "K-like" Marty Pocious short leash stint per one mistake.

OFC

Reactions: christophero
I think we'll have enough shooters because I feel Proctor and Roach will continue to improve and Mitchell and even Flip will be adequate.

I'm concerned about having people who can break down the defense to create openings and mismatches. Proctor and Roach are OK at it but it would be nice to have a guy off the bench who can be a slasher, like Whitehead was supposed to be but never could because of injuries. Is Foster that guy? Can Mitchel become that guy?

I think we'll have enough shooters because I feel Proctor and Roach will continue to improve and Mitchell and even Flip will be adequate.

I'm concerned about having people who can break down the defense to create openings and mismatches. Proctor and Roach are OK at it but it would be nice to have a guy off the bench who can be a slasher, like Whitehead was supposed to be but never could because of injuries. Is Foster that guy? Can Mitchel become that guy?
I believe Foster is definitely that guy. A very simple profile for Foster would be: quick, can get to the rim, and a great passer. McCain is kind of the opposite: an elite 3 point shooter.

So in a vacuum: those guys bring different skills to the table which is exactly what we want. Defensively we will see as freshman. But I am not worried about our offense one bit.

I think the 3 guard set with Proctor, Roach, McCain may be something Jon falls in love with by mid season.

Reactions: Liftee
We probably go with Young, Flip, Mitchell, Proctor and Roach to start the year. Then maybe a freshman will replace Young like last year. McCain probably. Schutt could get a look, but he'd have to make a big jump.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Schutt could get a look, but he'd have to make a big jump.
That "big jump" could come this summer. I simply don't think freshmen (no matter how highly touted), can automatically be penciled in as starters, and/or placed ahead of returning players by us.

Even take Blakes. Here's a young man who erupted for 17 points OFF THE BENCH @ Wake last season. I don't think he can be counted out of the picture. The injury requiring him to wear the mask really set him back. Bottom line-Jon has plenty of options in a three guard set.

OFC

That's true, and we don't have any top 10 type guys coming in. Hopefully they are multiyear guys. Still not sure if this year is an aberration or a new trend. Our guys that returned were second round guys except for Flip; and Flip seems more like a throwback type. Just keeping the second round guys like Proctor is huge.

I’d love to see Schutt get real minutes this year and be an impact guy. However, if McCain is legit and plays like a potential lottery pick, then I just don’t see any real minutes available for Schutt except if injuries happen.

Right now he would be 5th or 6th on the guard depth chart, him or Blake’s could battle for the 5th guard spot I guess. He could be our zone buster against teams like Syracuse, but I don’t know. Syracuse may not be a zone team anymore without Boeheim.

Schutt is a shooter so he needs to hit shots. if Blakes can shoot as well as Schutt(tongue twister), then he is ahead of him as he is a better defender. Blakes and Young both kind of hit the wall down the stretch. It will be interesting to see how they bounce back.

We probably go with Young, Flip, Mitchell, Proctor and Roach to start the year. Then maybe a freshman will replace Young like last year. McCain probably. Schutt could get a look, but he'd have to make a big jump.
Jeff Borzello of ESPN has Flip, Mitchell, Proctor, Roach and McCain as the starting 5.

Reactions: christophero
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT