ADVERTISEMENT

Duke = Forward U?

bullcity gamer

Cameron Crazy
Oct 15, 2017
Is it fair to anoint Duke as Forward U when it comes to developing 3s and 4s? Many of Duke’s former forwards have had productive college and/or NBA careers. The list includes Greats such as Grant Hill, Christian Laettner, Danny Ferry, Elton Brand, and Shane Battier. Others included are: Carlos Boozer, Luol Deng, Mike Dunleavy Jr., Kyle Singler, and Lance Thomas. Recent Newcomers: Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood, Justise Winslow. Potential Future All Stars/Superstars: Jayson Tatum, Brandon Ingram, Harry Giles, Wendell Carter, and Marvin Bagley. Duke also landed the 3 best Forwards in the 2018 class with Barrett, Williamson, and Reddish. You have to think a lot of the top high school forwards look at Duke’s track record of developing productive forwards when they are deciding on which school to attend. Coach K has always shown how he likes to use his Forwards: Hill, Laettner, Ferry, Brand, Battier, Singler, Parker/Hood, Winslow, Ingram, Tatum, Carter, and Bagley come to mind.

Last edited:
Every coach has his niche. Coach K for decades has preached the importance of having versatile players. The wing/forward position often is the most versatile player on the team. It's no surprise that K has a track record of getting talented wings and developing them, its the way he likes to run his offense. His best teams always have that skill wing that can play multiple spots.

Reactions: bullcity gamer
Is it fair to anoint Duke as Forward U when it comes to developing 3s and 4s? Many of Duke’s former forwards have had productive college and/or NBA careers. The list includes Greats such as Grant Hill and Shane Battier. Others included are: Carlos Boozer, Luol Deng, Mike Dunleavy Jr., Lance Thomas. Recent Newcomers: Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood, Justise Winslow. Potential Future All Stars/Superstars: Jayson Tatum, Brandon Ingram, Harry Giles, Wendell Carter, and Marvin Bagley. Duke also landed the 3 best Forwards in the 2018 class with Barrett, Williamson, and Reddish. You have to think a lot of the top high school forwards look at Duke’s track record of developing productive forwards when they are deciding on which school to attend. Coach K has always shown how he likes to use his Forwards: Hill, Battier, Parker/Hood, Winslow, Ingram, Tatum, Carter, and Bagley come to mind.

Laettner?

ttk2002, I just caught leaving Laettner off the list, don't know how I did that. I corrected it now though. I think in my mind I was just thinking of Laettner as a 5, but he was one of those players who could play both the 4 and 5 positions.

I know I'm an old fart but why does Danny Ferry always seem to be forgotten when we discuss Duke greats. Ferry played for Coach K , was an All- American and NPOY. Also I think Mark Alarie is one of the best forwards to ever play at Duke and another All- American. We should start a thread sometime about these neglected stars. Some day I'm afraid with young Duke fans coming along they probably won't be able to say they even know who Ferry and Alarie are among others. OFC

I know I'm an old fart but why does Danny Ferry always seem to be forgotten when we discuss Duke greats. Ferry played for Coach K , was an All- American and NPOY. Also I think Mark Alarie is one of the best forwards to ever play at Duke and another All- American. We should start a thread sometime about these neglected stars. Some day I'm afraid with young Duke fans coming along they probably won't be able to say they even know who Ferry and Alarie are among others. OFC

Who?

I apologize Sky, I thought Ferry was more of a 2 than a 3/4 that’s why I did not include him on the list of Forwards. I know Ferry won an NBA Championship with the San Antonio Spurs and was an integral member of that team. As far as Alarie goes, he was way before my time.

Reactions: skysdad
my first favorite Duke player!

Sky and lyonhawk, both of you guys are correct. Both Danny Ferry and Elton Brand belong on the list. I apologize for leaving them out and will edit my post now.

Ferry was a phenomenal player. Truly, with Battier, Bob Verga and Tate Armstrong, one of my all-time favorites at Duke. The guy was tough and could do it all. I agree that Alarie is one of the most overlooked also. I personally think that he was just as important piece as Dawkins was in that recruiting class and what he brought to the Duke rise back to prominence. I was disappointed that his jersey (along with Singler and Verga) was not retired. If it had been, we may would have to have retired # 42 for Laettner.

I apologize Sky, I thought Ferry was more of a 2 than a 3/4 that’s why I did not include him on the list of Forwards. I know Ferry won an NBA Championship with the San Antonio Spurs and was an integral member of that team. As far as Alarie goes, he was way before my time.

Ferry was a forward. He was all around though

Ferry was a forward. He was all around though

Danny Ferry is 6-10. He never played a second of guard at Duke or in the NBA.

There's no question K has done well with forwards. And with centers. And with guards.

That's how you win a thousand games.

But Carlos Boozer, Elton Brand (and Shelden Williams) were 5s at Duke and 4s in the NBA. Mike Dunleavy was a 2-4 at Duke and a 2-3 in the NBA. Any list that includes them as similar players seems overly broad in my opinion.

Last edited:
Just a brief list of accomplishments from Danny Ferry's career at Duke.
1. Final Four. 1986,88 and 89.
2. All time most points in a single game . 58 vs, Miami 12/10/88
3. Naismith NPOY 1989
4. USBWA NPOY 1989
5. UPI NPOY 1989
6. Consensus All-American 1st team 1989
7. Consensus All-American 2nd team 1988
8. 2X ACCPOY 1988,89.
9. 2X ACC 1st team 1988,89
10. 2X ACC Athlete of the year. 1988,89
11. 1st Duke player to score over 2,000 points, 1,000 rebounds and 500 assist.
12. #2 overall pick in the 1989 NBA draft.
13. NBA champion with the Spurs 2003.

One more thing. He was accused of being a racist in which all allegations were found false. Duke being called Forward U may begin with Ferry or at least he enhanced it. I don't think there are many Duke players with what Danny accomplished. OFC

I'm just as guilty as anyone in forgetting his accomplishments at Duke. Sometimes we need to look into the past and be educated. OFC

Danny Ferry is 6-10. He never played a second of guard at Duke or in the NBA.

There's no question K has done well with forwards. And with centers. And with guards.

That's how you win a thousand games.

But Carlos Boozer, Elton Brand (and Shelden Williams) were 5s at Duke and 4s in the NBA. Mike Dunleavy was a 2-4 at Duke and a 2-3 in the NBA. Any list that includes them as similar players seems overly broad in my opinion.
Careful jim you’re disagreeing with our next coach.

Part of the genius of Coach K was recognizing as early as the 1980's that big guys could be versatile and play all over the court, like Alarie and Ferry. Undoubtedly that's why so many players of that caliber came to play for Coach K at Duke, and continue to do so.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT