ADVERTISEMENT

Duhon suspended

There's no excuse for driving while intoxicated or anything else that impairs your judgement. Texting has become a big problem also. Maybe this will motivate him to get some help with his problem before a tragedy happens. Duke players, former Duke players or coaches aren't special. Man up guys and take some responsibility as a person. OFC

Met Chris at a bar in NYC few years back, he was nice guy but I heard he liked the cocktails too much.

Duhon has had an alcohol problem for a long time. Very sad.
I wouldn't count the citation he received as a freshman, but yeah, I've heard continuing rumors, too.

Good time for us to vow not to keep talking junk about Ty Lawson's drinking or the next guy from down the road who might struggle w/ alcohol and related behaviors. Condemn behavior that puts others at risk, like driving under the influence, but we shouldn't make fun of it.

I have no tolerance for anyone who drinks and drives. I've seen too many accidents where the intoxicated driver isn't hurt and the other person is killed or seriously injured. The others involving just the intoxicated driver, all died. 3 of the 4 ejected and the other died at WakeMed. There is no excuse or reason you can give to be behind the wheel drunk. I wish they would kick him out of league for life but when you can shoot or throw a ball and make millions for a company, they won't do much.

Unfortunately for Chris, he'll lose his job over this. He's an assistant coach at Marshall. Not acceptable, but still a sad situation.

I hope he gets the help that is needed. My brothers and I come from an Irish background and we have alcoholism on both sides bad. A few years ago, my youngest brother was pulled while drinking and driving, his life hasn't been the same since. I can have a few beers occasionally, but never liquor. I once drank 11 gin and tonics in less than an hour. I gave all that up when my brother was pulled and I haven't looked back. So, I certainly hope that Duhon gets the help that he needs after all of this. He has always been one of my favorite players and he seems like a really nice guy.

Can't say that I've been in his shoes but there were plenty of times I could have been in my younger years. I was lucky to never have killed anyone. There were times that I didn't remember how I got home but know I drove. I didn't really consider myself an alcoholic because I didn't drink all the time. My problem is once I started I didn't know when to stop. Luckily those days are long gone without any repercussions except maybe my liver. He needs to settle down, get married and have some kids. That cut out 99% of my drinking.

Can't say that I've been in his shoes but there were plenty of times I could have been in my younger years. I was lucky to never have killed anyone. There were times that I didn't remember how I got home but know I drove. I didn't really consider myself an alcoholic because I didn't drink all the time. My problem is once I started I didn't know when to stop. Luckily those days are long gone without any repercussions except maybe my liver. He needs to settle down, get married and have some kids. That cut out 99% of my drinking.
It's big of you to admit that, even w/ the anonymity of it. We all know it's wrong, including everyone who has ever driven when they shouldn't have. As important as it is to punish it severely and take a really strong stand against it, we have to leave room for people to be honest about it b/c that's the most productive way to make any difference.

A distant friend lost a 2-year-old to a drunk driver several years back. Hearing her talk about missing the smell of her daughter's hair and specific details like that is haunting.

Reactions: dukiejay
^ We also have some friends (a couple) who lost their six-year-old in the same manner. I can't tell you the number of times we've been smoking cigars on the golf course and both crying. I'm kind of the guy he opens up to about it....and while I'm glad I can be there for him and that he trusts me enough to have those conversations, every time when I get home I run for my girls to hold them. It shakes me up just typing that.

Reactions: gottagonow
^ We also have some friends (a couple) who lost their six-year-old in the same manner. I can't tell you the number of times we've been smoking cigars on the golf course and both crying. I'm kind of the guy he opens up to about it....and while I'm glad I can be there for him and that he trusts me enough to have those conversations, every time when I get home I run for my girls to hold them. It shakes me up just typing that.
I'm with you. Every morning I would come home from a rough night on the job I would just love on them as much as I could. Especially when they were little but as they got older I think they started to understand a little. Life is so precious and some people don't even realize. Good post!

Reactions: gottagonow
It's big of you to admit that, even w/ the anonymity of it. We all know it's wrong, including everyone who has ever driven when they shouldn't have. As important as it is to punish it severely and take a really strong stand against it, we have to leave room for people to be honest about it b/c that's the most productive way to make any difference.

A distant friend lost a 2-year-old to a drunk driver several years back. Hearing her talk about missing the smell of her daughter's hair and specific details like that is haunting.

Its definitely nothing I'm proud of. I'm just grateful that I never cost someone their life. Its one of the most selfish things anyone can do and I was guilty of it early on.

I think with all the post on this thread about the dangers of driving impaired we have a good grasp on the dangers of being irresponsible. We need to remember there are several ways one can be impaired or distracted. Cell phones, texting and even eating which I am guilty all can distract you in a way enough to cause an accident and a potential tragedy. We can all do better. OFC

Reactions: DukeDenver
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT