ADVERTISEMENT

DJ Steward Season Preview

BlueDevilStop

Starter
Jun 8, 2020
I see a season similar to what Duke saw from Luke Kennard as a Freshman. What are you expectations for Steward this year?

I see a season similar to what Duke saw from Luke Kennard as a Freshman. What are you expectations for Steward this year?

Hopefully he’s more consistent than Luke was as a freshman. Luke had a crazy year- he’d drop 30 in one game and 0 the next. I’d like to see DJ be a consistent scorer off the bench and could easily see him leading us in scoring multiple games.

Reactions: bfort2223
Offensively I feel like Steward will be more like Gary Trent JR. If he's hot he can go for 25-30 (remember Gary at Miami) but he also will have games where he shoots 1-9 from the field for 2 points. Defensively I do see him like Kennard, in that he could be a liability on defense. Steward is a bit small, and doesn't have the strength to guard bigger wings like Gary could.

The best thing Steward has going for him is we have very little depth at the 2 guard position. I guess K may go with the 2 PG lineup of Roach & Goldwire, or play Moore at the 2, even though his natural position is the 3. Long story short, Steward will see ample opportunities to play due to our roster construction.

Lofty expectations. Wasn’t Luke pretty good as a freshman?. I’ll be happy if the kid averages 5-7 ppg.

Reactions: christophero
Hopefully he’s more consistent than Luke was as a freshman. Luke had a crazy year- he’d drop 30 in one game and 0 the next. I’d like to see DJ be a consistent scorer off the bench and could easily see him leading us in scoring multiple games.
It was the weirdest thing. I think he averaged 13ppg. I remember telling my wife that he got that average by scoring 26 one game and 0 the next. I really wish we got to see a junior Luke Kennard though.

It was the weirdest thing. I think he averaged 13ppg. I remember telling my wife that he got that average by scoring 26 one game and 0 the next. I really wish we got to see a junior Luke Kennard though.
He was the poster boy for inconsistent freshman seasons.

A junior Luke would have been insane with that team, granted we probably don’t get Trent.

I just worry we're putting unrealistic expectations on a 20 something ranked kid. Wasn't Trent and Kennard ranked much higher? He's got talent; but up and down is something we should expect. I think him and Joey and Brakefield are the first 3 off the bench. As for junior Luke, that would have been amazing.

^^ very true....but DJs number one skill is scoring the rock! And he does It very well, especially for a guy 6’2 165.

Will be interesting to see what kind of numbers he will put up. I don’t see him starting right away but he will definitely see some time in there sooner or later. Kid is really talented. Hope we get him for 2 years!

Offensively I feel like Steward will be more like Gary Trent JR. If he's hot he can go for 25-30 (remember Gary at Miami) but he also will have games where he shoots 1-9 from the field for 2 points. Defensively I do see him like Kennard, in that he could be a liability on defense. Steward is a bit small, and doesn't have the strength to guard bigger wings like Gary could.

The best thing Steward has going for him is we have very little depth at the 2 guard position. I guess K may go with the 2 PG lineup of Roach & Goldwire, or play Moore at the 2, even though his natural position is the 3. Long story short, Steward will see ample opportunities to play due to our roster construction.

^^ very true....but DJs number one skill is scoring the rock! And he does It very well, especially for a guy 6’2 165.

Will be interesting to see what kind of numbers he will put up. I don’t see him starting right away but he will definitely see some time in there sooner or later. Kid is really talented. Hope we get him for 2 years!

Sophomore Steward would be incredible! Id say 50/50 that it happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT