ADVERTISEMENT

Danny Manning must GO! NOW!

Wake supporter, donor and blogger fed up after 27pt loss at Clemson.

https://www.bloggersodear.com/2019/...ould-part-ways-with-danny-manning-immediately

OFC
i talk with a Wake alum at lunch occasionally , he could not understand the extension last year. I have always thought there should be a performance clause built into these contracts. That way you don't wind up paying zillions of dollars if you have to fire someone for poor performance. See ND and Charlie Weill for example .

Convincing good players to go to Wake Forest is the hardest part of the job. For any coach.

US players I would agree, although they have great alumni that could lend a hand...Duncan, Paul etc
On a broader note, I always thought schools like Wake should look abroad if they are struggling in the US....go find a Lithuanian, Brazilian, Canadian or a couple of Aussies ( ala St Mary's)...look in France or China....there are players in other countries of high skill that would leap at the chance to play at Wake and in the ACC to showcase their NBA dream....a blend of in and out of country talent could be a quick stepping stone to being more competitive.

I would find it hard for any ACC coach not in the upper tier to find recruits. What is their pitch?

"I will give you a chance to run into a buzzsaw of an opponent week after week playing on TV!"
"Yeah...sounds great coach...thanks..."

I am convinced that Rick Barnes bolted from Clemson to UT for that reason and DID NOT take the NCSU years ago when it came up. Who is going to replace Manning?

I would find it hard for any ACC coach not in the upper tier to find recruits. What is their pitch?

"I will give you a chance to run into a buzzsaw of an opponent week after week playing on TV!"

I am convinced that Rick Barnes bolted from Clemson to UT for that reason and DID NOT take the NCSU years ago when it came up. Who is going to replace Manning?
Matt Doherty?

If I were a Wake fan, I would certainly be totally frustrated. Childress partly got the asst coaching job because his son Brandon was a hs teammate of Harry Giles....Of course even Harry could not have helped them significantly because as we know he was hampered by injuries.....Neither Manning or Childress seem to have a clue what they're doing....

Is there another Skip Prosser out there??? Probably so. However the program has sunk so far whoever takes the job would have a massive rebuilding job. I am old enough to remember a time we were looking up at UNC, State and Wake. It was hard convincing kids to go to Duke.

OFC

You are dead wrong about Barnes. He left Clemson because it refused to invest more money into basketball facilities. NCSU back then could not find any well regarded coach to take the job, primarily because of its AD.

Reactions: QC Dukie
I think I read on the main board that it’s already been decided. They’re just waiting til the end of the year.

I have an idea, how about Seth Greenberg? I know he would have trouble finding a HS position, but we could kill two birds with one stone here; no more Seth on ESPN, and since he doesn't care for Duke, we could beat the crap out of him a couple times a year! :)
Go Duke!
OFC

I have an idea, how about Seth Greenberg? I know he would have trouble finding a HS position, but we could kill two birds with one stone here; no more Seth on ESPN, and since he doesn't care for Duke, we could beat the crap out of him a couple times a year! :)
Go Duke!
OFC

JC I love the way you think!!!!

OFC

Reactions: jcdevilfan
Wake had some pretty big losses last off-season. Doral Moore and Bryant Crawford stayed in the NBA Draft - even though they were unlikely to be drafted. Keyshawn Woods transferred to Ohio State. If Wake kept those 3 guys, they would be a top 50 team. The bigger question to me, is why did all 3 of those starters want out of the program? Maybe Moore/Crawford thought the team's ceiling was limited and they were ready to start their careers as pros, even if that meant playing overseas. Maybe Woods just wanted to have a more realistic chance of playing in the tournament... there has been a lot of transfers in the program. That is not a good trend for a struggling program.

Wake does have 3 guys on their team that were top 100 recruits- Chaundee Brown, Jaylen Hoard, and Isaiah Mucius. Childress has been a reliable player. Minimizing the roster turnover is the biggest factor effecting Wake, IMO. The burden of carrying the team seems to always be on the freshmen and sophomores. They have been severely lacking in veteran leadership/experience.

You are dead wrong about Barnes. He left Clemson because it refused to invest more money into basketball facilities. NCSU back then could not find any well regarded coach to take the job, primarily because of its AD.
Maybe you're right, but the lack of investment by Clemson is the same thing, right? Living in Texas I was probably irratated at Barnes for bolting from the ACC. Glad he is finding success at Tennessee.

I attended most of the home games during the Prosser years. He had the place black and gold for most games and sell outs for the big acc games. I haven't been to a game with Manning as the coach but I've heard it's really bad.

I have a hard time seeing them buying out Danny's contract. They would be paying a steep price.

In the game of musical coaching chairs, a great rule is to always know where you are going to land before you jump. Until and unless WFU know who the next coach will be, they shouldn't fire the current guy. WFU is a hard job, for all the reasons listed above. IDK if they can get a number of young, up and coming coaches to seriously consider the job. NCSU has been where promising coaching careers have gone to die. WFU could be even worse.

If you can’t recruit you better be a hell of a X’s and O’s guy. You can find up and coming talent, you just have to go digging deep for it. You may have to search the mid major level or deeper, but they are out there. I’m sure Wake thought Danny Manning would be able to recruit on his name alone, doesn’t appear to be the case.

I’m not suggesting it’s easy or obvious, if so everyone would find the right coach. But there’s plenty of talent at all levels, you just need to be able to spot it. Start playing better and the program becomes more attractive.

If you can’t recruit you better be a hell of a X’s and O’s guy. You can find up and coming talent, you just have to go digging deep for it. You may have to search the mid major level or deeper, but they are out there. I’m sure Wake thought Danny Manning would be able to recruit on his name alone, doesn’t appear to be the case.

I’m not suggesting it’s easy or obvious, if so everyone would find the right coach. But there’s plenty of talent at all levels, you just need to be able to spot it. Start playing better and the program becomes more attractive.

Manning's entire strategy seems to have been to get a healthy Harry Giles, and some good players around him (that would stay longer than HG's OAD ride) ride him to a top 3 ACC finish, at which point WFU would be left with an upper tier ACC squad for 1-2 years. After which, Manning would be in line for a better job in a power 5 conference. When Giles fell through, the entire strategy collapsed, and there was no way forward.

Reactions: hart2chesson
John Collins didn’t seem to do it for him. And John was an elite talent. Hate to seem like an old man shaking his fist at the clouds (heck I’m only 31) but kids don’t care about old names all that much anymore. The name Danny Manning to a teenager right now means very little. Heck Chris Mullin isn’t landing the best of the best and he’s a much bigger name in a very attractive location. I would think Wake will seek out talent over a power name the next go round.

Maybe you're right, but the lack of investment by Clemson is the same thing, right? Living in Texas I was probably irratated at Barnes for bolting from the ACC. Glad he is finding success at Tennessee.
No , not really the same thing. At the time Clemson was 90% a footbell school. When Barnes took the job he was placed under the impression that the school would invest in the basketball program in an effort to bring it into parity with other ACC teams, which never happened while he was there. Barnes did not Bolt from the ACC. He and his wife grew up and were raised in the Henderson NC area. Texas offered him a huge amount of money to "bolt". Had it tried, Clemson could easily could have kept him. Barnes will always remain near and dear in my heart because of his war with Dean Smith and the night they almost came to blows and because he hated the Cheats above all other teams. OFC

I have a hard time seeing them buying out Danny's contract. They would be paying a steep price.
This. I've read that buyout is something like $18M. That is an astronomical number for Danny at Wake. It almost certainly makes a buyout impossible.

No , not really the same thing. At the time Clemson was 90% a footbell school. When Barnes took the job he was placed under the impression that the school would invest in the basketball program in an effort to bring it into parity with other ACC teams, which never happened while he was there. Barnes did not Bolt from the ACC. He and his wife grew up and were raised in the Henderson NC area. Texas offered him a huge amount of money to "bolt". Had it tried, Clemson could easily could have kept him. Barnes will always remain near and dear in my heart because of his war with Dean Smith and the night they almost came to blows and because he hated the Cheats above all other teams. OFC
...and the University of Texas is not a football school?

...and the University of Texas is not a football school?
It unquestionable is. The difference is, and what you don't get, is that Texas is a football school which had invested in its basketball program and had much better basketball facilities that Clempsun. I doubt that he would have gone to Texas if it had the same attitude toward basketball and similarly bad facilties.

Reactions: hpnole
It unquestionable is. The difference is, and what you don't get, is that Texas is a football school which had invested in its basketball program and had much better basketball facilities that Clempsun. I doubt that he would have gone to Texas if it had the same attitude toward basketball and similarly bad facilties.
So I live in Austin. Seriously, please tell me what I don't get...The Erwin Center is old...Have you been there?.... Sorry, they are just now building something new. And when he came on board, Mack Brown and the Longhorns were doing fine. Barnes got in hot water when the football team was sucking and they had to watch basketball.

Texas is living proof that money doesn't necessarily translate to championships. They have the most money of any school in the US in football. And, it is not even close back to number 2, which is Suckeye U , I think.

So I live in Austin. Seriously, please tell me what I don't get...The Erwin Center is old...Have you been there?.... Sorry, they are just now building something new. And when he came on board, Mack Brown and the Longhorns were doing fine. Barnes got in hot water when the football team was sucking and they had to watch basketball.
What they had was still better than Littlejohn when Barnes was there. And, you seem to ignore the successes that Barnes did have at Texas. They were a better team then than they are now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT