ADVERTISEMENT

Countdown to craziness schedule

Dukie_4_life

Starter
Oct 17, 2008
Hey guys….heading there tomorrow for Countdown. Has anyone seen a schedule? Normally they post the schedule as I prefer to not sit through all of the pre game stuff except for player intros and the actual countdown to team unveiling.
If anyone can find it please share.
thanks!
Go Duke

Reactions: KDSTONE
I have not seen a schedule but I hope you enjoy the thrill of being in CIS, and seeing Coach K come out of the locker room and the students bow to him. If you don't get chills you are dead. It is an experience that will be gone after this year.

Reactions: IOWABLUDEVIL
I have not seen a schedule but I hope you enjoy the thrill of being in CIS, and seeing Coach K come out of the locker room and the students bow to him. If you don't get chills you are dead. It is an experience that will be gone after this year.
I agree. That’s why I had to go to this one. I used to go to this every year but it got kind of bland and wasn’t as enjoyable. Hope they pull out all the stops this year.

It's on ACC Network Plus and I'm not sure what that is. Also on Youtube but I don't know if it's the Youtube that requires a subscription. I guess we'll find out tonight.

It's on ACC Network Plus and I'm not sure what that is. Also on Youtube but I don't know if it's the Youtube that requires a subscription. I guess we'll find out tonight.
If it’s available somewhere please notify

Anyone got a good suggestion for a good burger and beer in Durham. Eaten at Tobacco Road a few times and wasn’t that great.

I predict a Duke victory. I do like the fact that we are secretly scrimmaging Villanova next weekend. Even if we lose it won't count and guys get to see how we stack up against a top 10ish team and get experience.

Reactions: hpnole
I did see it on the lineup for ESPN +, the same network that did the Duke documentary a few years ago called Earn Everything. However, it is a paid subscription.
If you have the Disney plus package you can watch it as espn plus is included in it .

I predict a Duke victory. I do like the fact that we are secretly scrimmaging Villanova next weekend. Even if we lose it won't count and guys get to see how we stack up against a top 10ish team and get experience.
I like seeing a tough early schedule also. Beating up on patsies does not help the team. K has always done this. . Only in football does scheduling patsies help.

Reactions: christophero
I did see it on the lineup for ESPN +, the same network that did the Duke documentary a few years ago called Earn Everything. However, it is a paid subscription.
And even if you subscribe to ESPN+, you can’t watch it if your cable provider doesn’t carry the ACC Network. Which means XFinity subscribers are still screwed.

My provider does carry it and it still won't let me watch

I like seeing a tough early schedule also. Beating up on patsies does not help the team. K has always done this. . Only in football does scheduling patsies help.
I also like that we get this before Kentucky.

Last edited:
The purpose of scheduling early easy games is for the players to see where they are at prior to heavier competition. Everyone remembers Johnson’s 19/19 game against coppin state only to not see it again. Got to have tune up games to show where the players need to continue to grow .

Saw the highlights. Hard to tell, but several guys looked good. Williams, Moore, Baker, Banchero and Keels all impressed. I didn't realize Keels was that athletic. I wouldn't hold your breath on him having a year 2 lol. That jump shot is smooth. Theo looked good as well, him getting 20 minutes a game is possible if he plays like that and will keep our big guys fresh. He is a key pick up and an upgrade over Coleman. He just looks so physical and experienced out there. Williams probably was MVP. Keels the other MVP. Just a scrimmage, but if baker and Keels hit shots like that and Theo plays like that down low this answers a lot of questions we had. Moore looked smooth as well and hit some outside shots.

Last edited:
I thought Baker was still forcing things. Paolo as well but when Williams hit that 3 ( I know he won’t shoot that many) it was a good shot plus two players on the white team were at the basket for the rebound.
It’s going to be an interesting year for sure.

Paulo struggled a bit, and did not shoot well from the line, which made me think we are expecting too much of him. He admitted to being nervous. He will be good, no doubt, but we are expecting first team all American out of him. He still may be, but expectations are sky high. Still, it's just one game.

Paulo struggled a bit, and did not shoot well from the line, which made me think we are expecting too much of him. He admitted to being nervous. He will be good, no doubt, but we are expecting first team all American out of him. He still may be, but expectations are sky high. Still, it's just one game.
When guards were on him he couldn’t blow by them like the drive and finish he did on Bate Jones . This was my point in another thread. Paolo is unstoppable from 17 feet and in. This isn’t high school where he’s one of the biggest players it’s going to take him time.

I like Paolo's ball handling and passing ability. Maybe he won't be a deadeye shooter. He can score 12 pts. and still contribute in very other way. I liked his connection with Mark Williams. He looked for him constantly and some nice quick entry passes. They will be a potent high/low combination.

I like everyone else really was impressed with Keels. Active, good ball handler, seemed in control of himself. May not be a knock down shooter but has a lot of other parts to his game. I can see a lineup with him, Moore and Banchero handling the half court offense if Roach doesn't play well.

Speaking of Roach, I didn't notice much from him but I'm willing to withhold judgment because I was looking at the new guys mostly.

I seem to be the only one who saw something with Blakes. I think he held his own and if necessary can contribute this year. Of course we know it will be a 7 man rotation which he isn't part of but if injuries or fouls come our way, I wouldn't feel terrible with him getting some minutes.

Williams is...a beast! So long, so active. You could see the other team shy away from driving to the basket after a couple blocks or near blocks. If the coaches can find a way to avoid him being pulled away from the basket on defense, he will completely take away the drive to the basket.

I really like Johns as a backup and team leader. It will allow Mark to play hard every minute knowing he's got a more than capable replacement.

I didn't see enough from Joey to think that he will do much more than he's done in previous years. He will be better with a more structured offense I suppose.

Looking forward to seeing Griffin play. He is a stud! Very Winslow looking.

Those are my thoughts. Other than for really quick teams that we might struggle with, I think Duke will impose its will in games like they haven't done for several seasons.

I like Paolo's ball handling and passing ability. Maybe he won't be a deadeye shooter. He can score 12 pts. and still contribute in very other way. I liked his connection with Mark Williams. He looked for him constantly and some nice quick entry passes. They will be a potent high/low combination.

I like everyone else really was impressed with Keels. Active, good ball handler, seemed in control of himself. May not be a knock down shooter but has a lot of other parts to his game. I can see a lineup with him, Moore and Banchero handling the half court offense if Roach doesn't play well.

Speaking of Roach, I didn't notice much from him but I'm willing to withhold judgment because I was looking at the new guys mostly.

I seem to be the only one who saw something with Blakes. I think he held his own and if necessary can contribute this year. Of course we know it will be a 7 man rotation which he isn't part of but if injuries or fouls come our way, I wouldn't feel terrible with him getting some minutes.

Williams is...a beast! So long, so active. You could see the other team shy away from driving to the basket after a couple blocks or near blocks. If the coaches can find a way to avoid him being pulled away from the basket on defense, he will completely take away the drive to the basket.

I really like Johns as a backup and team leader. It will allow Mark to play hard every minute knowing he's got a more than capable replacement.

I didn't see enough from Joey to think that he will do much more than he's done in previous years. He will be better with a more structured offense I suppose.

Looking forward to seeing Griffin play. He is a stud! Very Winslow looking.

Those are my thoughts. Other than for really quick teams that we might struggle with, I think Duke will impose its will in games like they haven't done for several seasons.

Good post bud. OFC

Reactions: sheyduke and Liftee
Can't wait to see us in an actual game. We always look great in scrimmages, in which they are edited to show just the good plays. Last year Tape was dunking all over the place, which caused me to predict a big role for him, ha. I remember Tape looked much better than Mark in the first few scrimmages. Go figure.

Yes and CTC is a glorified scrimmage. Not sure why Coach K had the first team play the second team in the second 12 minute period. Having Savarino/Jones/Worthington play against the A team was worthless. I guess it's to give them some PT before they get nailed to the bench (hopefully).

Perhaps getting guys like Savarino,Jones and Worthington is a way of showing gratitude to them for the hard work that they give in practice knowing they probably won't see much pt time even in some blow outs. Yes it is an honor for them to play for Duke and have a chance of playing for a national championship team but there is a need for them and every now and them some of them turn out to be a contributer . OFC

I just don't know why he put them on the same team. It just wasn't fair and didn't really give the first team any worthwhile practice together.

I just don't know why he put them on the same team. It just wasn't fair and didn't really give the first team any worthwhile practice together.
One take could have been the fans. They go crazy for the walk on’s as we all do . Like Sky said,” gratitude !”.

liftee I’m with you on Blake’s . I could see him getting two to four minutes a game just to give breathers and pester opposing guards . Kid is big and long .

Coach mentioned playing the 3 bigs together as a possibility. We could put Moore at the point, Keels, and the 3 bigs. Roach would still get minutes off the bench. Would present some spacing issues, but it seems like Paulo likes to roam around so that would help. We would dominate the boards. Small sample size, but those looked like our best 5 last night.(Theo looked good)

Reactions: Hofman19
Coach mentioned playing the 3 bigs together as a possibility. We could put Moore at the point, Keels, and the 3 bigs. Roach would still get minutes off the bench. Would present some spacing issues, but it seems like Paulo likes to roam around so that would help. We would dominate the boards. Small sample size, but those looked like our best 5 last night.(Theo looked good)
That’s a big lineup but the question is can Johns knees hold up? I do like the lineup though

Can't see that big lineup happening other than emergency. I expect to see much more of Paolo at the 5 than the 3 throughout the year.

Reactions: sheyduke
I know CTC is mostly for fun, but if we were to base our starting-5 to open the season on who looked most productive on Friday night, I think it probably goes:

G: Keels
F: Moore
F: Banchero
F: John
C: Williams

Roach just did not do much to inspire confidence; he was overshadowed!

Sorry, dude!

I just noticed I pretty much plagiarized your perspective above.

I know CTC is mostly for fun, but if we were to base our starting-5 to open the season on who looked most productive on Friday night, I think it probably goes:

G: Keels
F: Moore
F: Banchero
F: John
C: Williams

Roach just did not do much to inspire confidence; he was overshadowed!
Roach had 8 assists and only 2 turnoverrs. That will be his role, run the team, set people up, take care of the ball, and play defense.

Roach had 8 assists and only 2 turnoverrs. That will be his role, run the team, set people up, take care of the ball, and play defense.
And this is what kinda bothers me because Roach is known for being a scoring pg .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT