ADVERTISEMENT

Countdown to Craziness | Friday night

Great story, Conor! I wish I could be there tomorrow night, but my son will be, and i look forward to hearing both your and his post-event download. Watching it on ESPN+, but that’s not the same as being there.

Will be great to see our guys in action. I've never really been a fan of all the pre game stuff, but that's just me and my middle age. It looks fun for the kids though. I'd like to see Mitchell and Stewart guarding each other. Is Flip going to play? He sat out the last scrimmage.
Timo or Conor Is Borden a viable option off the bench next year? If he redshirts this year he would have two years left, and he's now listed at 240. Probably not, but I am curious about him.
Wow just read Jon got a 6 year contract extension. Good job Coach!

Last edited:
Reactions: bullcity gamer
I will post updates on CTC as I get them.
Early word is Schutt and Reeves look good.

Last edited:
I heard Stewart looked very raw. True? (Still just an exhibition just curious) Hearing Roach played great.

Last edited:
I’ve been on the Reeves wagon all off season. You saw glimpses in the small amount of minutes he got last season. He’s 7 feet tall, athletic, and he had a nice touch around the rim I’m a Believer he’s a regular in the rotation this season and beyond.

Wow. So does Reeves move ahead of Stewart? We could use the size; so if Reeves busts out, look out.
(I'm not really concerned with being right if Reeves is a stud it greatly improves our team)
Sounds like we didn't shoot the ball that well from outside.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Tik Tok
Chris, I only watched Stewart in the high school McDonald’s all American game back in April, I can whole heartily say he looked raw in that game for what it’s worth and he may need some time to get adjusted to the speed of college basketball.

Reeves can definitely score on Young we saw that last CTC. But encouraging signs for Reeves.
A 7-1 rim protector off the bench would be most welcome.

Last edited:
Why was Young matched up against Flip and Reeves? Was Mitchell at least on Young's team? Otherwise that is just unfair.

Guards: Proctor/Roach/McCain/Foster/Blakes/Schutt

Forwards:
Mitchell/Flip/Power/Stewart

Centers:
Reeves/Young/Flip/Stewart

The versatility of the different lineups Coach Scheyer will be able to try is awesome

Reactions: christophero
It's only a scrimmage but tonight again proves Young should see minimal minutes with all the options we have. Reeves looked nice.

• Haha
Reactions: Tik Tok
I like Young, the guy is a hard worker and does all the little things. He is an asset to the team and one of the leaders on the team.

Young was brought to Duke by Scheyer because he saw what he brings to the table with his experience as a grad student.

Reeves is a Sophomore and I believe came over to Duke as a 3 star (for what that’s worth). Of course he was going to play behind Flip, Lively, and Young last season. I see him being a contributor like Goldwire was if not better. I was a huge fan of Goldy.

Guys, they both play for Duke, you don’t have to put one down while rooting for the other guy. I’m sure they are doing that to one another (sarcasm). They are both Blue Devils, root for both of them.

It’s weird, it seems like some of you either want Young or Reeves to not play well even though they both play for Duke.

Took the family to Countdown tonight. The kids had a blast, as usual. Team looked pretty good, for an early season scrimmage. Not going to take too much away from it other than the guys looked like they were having fun.

White team dominated with size and perimeter shooting. Flip and Reeves were too much for Stewart and Young to handle, and Roach hit a few big 3s. Blue team was the more athletic team (Foster, McCain, and Stewart), but they couldn’t convert their drives and were sloppy at times.

Tyrese didn’t do much, but you could tell he’s taken the next step, he’s gonna be good. Roach looked confident and shot the ball well. Flip threw down a nasty poster on Stewart (I think he even surprised himself with it!). Reeves was gobbling up all the rebounds and had a couple good looks inside. Foster is quick, and has a great handle. McCain looked ok driving, just didn’t finish. Stewart was very active, but had several fouls and looked a little out of control. Powers knocked down a smooth 3, and so did Schutt. Young played his typical old man hustle game. Lots of weapons on this team, and I think they’ll get better as the season goes (rather than peaking in December).

My only disappointment was the Crazies. The student section was not nearly as energetic as usual, and they were near silent for long stretches during the scrimmage. The chants they did get going were never loud or lasted very long. Maybe it was a product of the scrimmage, and not cheering for defense, but I don’t remember the Crazies being that “off” at past Countdowns. With 6 recruits in the building, I was hoping the Crazies woulda brought the house down! Hopefully the recruits had fun and we get some commitments soon!

Long time reader, first time poster. Looking forward to this season!

And if Reeves has made the jump; that fills a BIG hole.
Like everyone has said, he looked really good at last year’s CTC. I don’t recall the team captains talked about how much he had improved since arriving on campus. Sounds like Young saw Reeves really take a massive step this year. I’m still surprised that they had Flip & Reeves on the same team. Not sure if they just wanted to see Reeves in front of a sold out crowd playing with the other starters with the implication being that the starting lineup to begin the season I will be Proctor, Roach, Mitchell, Flip, and Reeves.

On the recruiting side of things, was happy with the 2024 guys that we had in town. Would have liked to have seen some more 2025 and 2026 guys at CTC. I’m still slightly frustrated with the game the Boozer twins are playing.

My take ;

Flip and Mitchell still have issues dribbling in at the top of the key . Forcing .

Stewart , is a true freshman. Tick tac reach in fouls on guards but has the athleticism.

Reeves looked the same way he did last season at CTC although he is bigger almost the same size as Flip. Will he play a lot ? He is the only true center on the roster and his size will be needed. It remains to be seen how many minutes he’ll get .

Won’t go into much on the returning players but Powers, McCain and Foster all will have learning curves this season .

It was a scrimmage so I didn’t take away much outside of the fact that you could tell who four of the starters will be and I didn’t really see anyone who truly stood out for the fifth spot . Going to be a fun season .

I just watched CTC. My thoughts on each player.
Reeves looked great. Can finish, rebound and block shots. He will see the floor this year. Only caveat is he was being guarded by Young, who couldn't stop him last year either. But he looks like he belongs. I may have been wrong about him lol and I'm glad.
Stewart is raw. Great bounce, but kind of awkward on offense and picked up some quick fouls. Multi year guy. He is a big dude.
Proctor and Roach looked great. Predictably they are ahead of the freshman guards right now.
Mitchell looked good. Nice driving ability, his handle is a little loose though.
Young looked okay, doing Young things, nothing that stood out.
Foster is a bit loose with his dribble, it is high but showed a really nice floater in the lane.
McCain was solid. He will likely start unless we go big.
Flip played a solid game, posterized Stewart on a vicious dunk. Took too many 3s, but looks healthy.
Schutt hit a 3, did not do much else. Blakes did not stand out, solid defender. Those 2 may be the odd guys out unless injuries.
Power hit a 3, did not stand out much otherwise. May not play much this year, but other people are high on him.
It was nice to see Jon taking selfies with the Crazies.
Other than Roach we were 3 of 15 from 3. I'd like to see us not settling for 3s.
Great to see some live action! We have some things to work on but I really like our team.

Last edited:
Jon Scheyer's extension is officially official, per Duke's release. Runs through the 2028-29 season; this added 2 years to the deal he initially signed when he was named head coach.

Powers needs to find his way on the floor for his size . More will be made known during the preseason games.

Powers needs to find his way on the floor for his size . More will be made known during the preseason games.
I agree with you, but am curious how many minutes he gets because he has a very similar game as Flip had coming in as a Freshman. Yes, Flip is a couple inches taller but they are both stretch PFs. Question is who gets Flip’s backup minutes? Is it Powers, Stewart, Young?

^ what are the boozer twins doing?
Just playing it very coy in their recruitment. Have no visits scheduled with Duke and we’re at Kentucky either late last week or early this week for a visit. Have visits scheduled to Florida and FSU along w/ Miami (I believe).

Duke should play a similar game and go full speed at kids like AJ Dybantsa, Caleb Wilson, Koa Peat, Meleek Thomas, and Isiah Harwell.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke83
Who says the Boozer twins come to Duke? Just because their dad did doesn’t mean they won’t to. Let it play out .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT