ADVERTISEMENT

Cole Anthony commits to Holes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top 5 nationally?? That’s a stretch. They’ll be good, but not top 5 worthy.
That was what we were mostly thinking a year ago. Myself included. Unfortunately, UNCheat is going to continue to be a perineal power despite the 20+ years of documented cheating. That’s the way of the world now.

Reactions: pisgah101
That was what we were mostly thinking a year ago. Myself included. Unfortunately, UNCheat is going to continue to be a perineal power despite the 20+ years of documented cheating. That’s the way of the world now.

I could be wrong, but IMO, UNC loses way too much from last season and won’t be as good as last years team.. I’m not saying they’ll suck, but top 5? I don’t think so.

Not worried as long as football schools take em to woodshed in NCAAs like last 2 years.We're talking spankings! OFC

Top 5 nationally?? That’s a stretch. They’ll be good, but not top 5 worthy.

I could be wrong, but IMO, UNC loses way too much from last season and won’t be as good as last years team.. I’m not saying they’ll suck, but top 5? I don’t think so.

UNC loses a lot....you’re right there. But you also thought they wouldn’t be good last year, either.

They have one of the best coaches in the country, a potential All-American in Anthony and no fewer question marks than us. They’re going to be pretty darn good.

Yeah, I agree the Heels will be good, they always are. I do have some hope that the Heels might have a few problems because Roy has had the luxury of having experienced upperclassmen being around for quite a few years now, but he's going to have to rely on freshmen, and transfers without a solid core of returning players. K (and Cal) haven't gotten the credit they deserve on practically having a new team each year and getting them to come together. Now, let's see if Roy can do it.

OFC

Yeah, I agree the Heels will be good, they always are. I do have some hope that the Heels might have a few problems because Roy has had the luxury of having experienced upperclassmen being around for quite a few years now, but he's going to have to rely on freshmen, and transfers without a solid core of returning players. K (and Cal) haven't gotten the credit they deserve on practically having a new team each year and getting them to come together. Now, let's see if Roy can do it.

OFC
Great points.

And just to echo, UNC will be top 5. They are deep And very athletic.

Great points.

And just to echo, UNC will be top 5. They are deep And very athletic.
I think we have a much rockier start than usual trying to gel freshmen and grad transfers. Roy is going to get a taste of what Duke and UK have been doing the last few years. However, the grad transfers should be easier to coach given their experience. I’d say top 5 by late February is realistic. Every team outside of Michigan St is losing its core great players, so the board should be wide open.

UNC loses a lot....you’re right there. But you also thought they wouldn’t be good last year, either.

They have one of the best coaches in the country, a potential All-American in Anthony and no fewer question marks than us. They’re going to be pretty darn good.

I’m not saying UNC will suck, because they’ll have a very competitive team. Last season I never said they wouldn’t be good, I stated they’re not going to be a championship caliber team. They got smoked in the tournament and I don’t see next season being any different. If you look at Roy’s title teams, they consist of several McDonalds all Americans who stay as upperclassmen. He doesn’t have that luxury next year. Again, I’m not saying they’ll suck, because they have pretty good talent next year.

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3

Agreed. And Anthony is capable of a monster season.

I think we have a much rockier start than usual trying to gel freshmen and grad transfers. Roy is going to get a taste of what Duke and UK have been doing the last few years. However, the grad transfers should be easier to coach given their experience. I’d say top 5 by late February is realistic. Every team outside of Michigan St is losing its core great players, so the board should be wide open.

We’ve had rocky starts in years where we were preseason #1 so yeah I expect a few boneless loses to start the year.

UNC will not be as good next, doesn’t mean they’ll suck, but they’re not a top 5 team imo. Can they develop into one? Maybe, but I just don’t see it. Replacing the 5 key guys will be tough.

UNC will not be as good next, doesn’t mean they’ll suck, but they’re not a top 5 team imo. Can they develop into one? Maybe, but I just don’t see it. Replacing the 5 key guys will be tough.

Yeah they were so strong they didnt even start a projected lottery pick right So Cal?

OFC

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
I think top 5 is attainable, but I’m not sure it’s very likely. Roy has possibly never dealt with this much turnover that I can recall.

Also, while rankings do matter they don’t always tell the whole story. UNC never sniffs the top 5 if they had Duke’s conference schedule this year. Their toughest road games were vs L’ville and Duke w/o Zion. They never reach the one seed line without the two wins over Duke minus Zion.

I expect Cole Anthony to be one of the elite guards in the country and an All-ACC performer. A junior Garrison Brooks paired with Bacot is an impressive front line in today’s college basketball. With the two recent additions on the wing this week and the maturation of guys like Robinson and Black, I feel they’re top two in the ACC and a strong national contender....especially in a season that by most is considered to be ‘down’ with regards to elite talent, both young and old.

I expect Cole Anthony to be one of the elite guards in the country and an All-ACC performer. A junior Garrison Brooks paired with Bacot is an impressive front line in today’s college basketball. With the two recent additions on the wing this week and the maturation of guys like Robinson and Black, I feel they’re top two in the ACC and a strong national contender....especially in a season that by most is considered to be ‘down’ with regards to elite talent, both young and old.

So were bumping black and Robinson up without any evidence? That’s a bit risky.

Different situations and talent, but if it makes you feel better telling yourself that, go for it.

I’m not saying the situations are directly parallel to each other. But Roy has proven more than equal to the task of rebuilding many times. A lot of you guys wrote us off the past couple years after losing Brice, Paige, JJ, Meeks, Berry, Theo, etc.

If it makes you feel better thinking we are going to be mediocre fine. But I think both of our teams are in the midst of serious changes in roster. We won’t know what to expect until next November.

I’m not saying the situations are directly parallel to each other. But Roy has proven more than equal to the task of rebuilding many times. A lot of you guys wrote us off the past couple years after losing Brice, Paige, JJ, Meeks, Berry, Theo, etc.

If it makes you feel better thinking we are going to be mediocre fine. But I think both of our teams are in the midst of serious changes in roster. We won’t know what to expect until next November.

You backtracked on your first sentence, then showed you didn’t read my posts above on your first sentence in paragraph two. Well done.

Reactions: GillJET
So we have no chance with 2 returning starters and 3 more guys that averaged 14, 19, and 21 mpg? I’m not buying that. Black and Robinson barely touched 11 mpg and much was in mop up time. They’re losing more (relatively speaking) than Duke.

Where did I say we had no chance? I was just questioning your premise.

Obviously UNC lost more players. I think a rational discussion could be had on who lost ‘more’ though....considering Duke lost two All-American’s, the unanimous National Player of the Year and maybe the best college player of his generation. It’s great that we return some veterans with minutes, but we’re going to have a lot of question marks everywhere but point guard. Luckily, there looks to be potential for a lot of answers too.

I hope you’re right about UNC and I’m wrong, but I suspect they’re going to be really, really good again....with the emphasis on both really’s.

Obviously UNC lost more players. I think a rational discussion could be had on who lost ‘more’ though....considering Duke lost two All-American’s, the unanimous National Player of the Year and maybe the best college player of his generation. It’s great that we return some veterans with minutes, but we’re going to have a lot of question marks everywhere but point guard. Luckily, there looks to be potential for a lot of answers too.

I hope you’re right about UNC and I’m wrong, but I suspect they’re going to be really, really good again....with the emphasis on both really’s.

Given the choice, I would still rather take our roster. But UNC certainly made quite the positive stride this past week. They have a lot of question marks but they now have legitimate talent. Can they put all the pieces together? We shall see.

Reactions: timo0402
Too many people put their hatred before reality, like this past season people said they would suck, heck many people said that the last 5 years. I hate them too but give them their due, they arent a dumpster school. Much like us, Kentucky, Kansas, they will be annual contenders to do something no matter the roster, next year included.

Given the choice, I would still rather take our roster. But UNC certainly made quite the positive stride this past week. They have a lot of question marks but they now have legitimate talent. Can they put all the pieces together? We shall see.

I also like is better. It’s not overwhelmingly, though. We will have plenty of our own question marks, as well.

Nothing to nitpick, you backed yourself into a corner. Besides, you’re on a Duke board because you’re not warmly welcomed at THR. That’s gold.

I really didn’t. You just put words in my mouth based off your own interpretation.

I’m on here now and again because I choose to be, whether I’m chummy with radar or not. Besides, I got the OOTB crew anyway.

So you’re not really insulting me by suggesting I’m not a part of THR which is also gold lol.

Reactions: timo0402
I really didn’t. You just put words in my mouth based off your own interpretation.

I’m on here now and again because I choose to be, whether I’m chummy with radar or not. Besides, I got the OOTB crew anyway.

So you’re not really insulting me by suggesting I’m not a part of THR which is also gold lol.

I put words in your mouth? Lol, the proof is right above: you clearly backtracked and then, again clearly, showed you didn’t read my post right after that. But hey, you’re searching for friends on a Duke board so....

But were they really contenders this past year, or did they hide behind a soft ACC schedule? It’s an interesting thing to consider. I said this year that they may have been the best team at one point, but now that look back, I was way off. They were exposed in both tournaments, IMO.

And I responded using your premise. That’s why I quoted you lol. With all due respect, many say they’ll be really, really good every year. They won’t be as good as this past year, and we could arguably say that team hid behind a soft ACC schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT