ADVERTISEMENT

Cal pretty much admits UK ducked the PK80 tourney.

Coach K likes to play some creampuffs too. I don't fault a coach who avoids buzz saws, especially with a young team.

Reactions: Neners
He probably made a wise choice. There were 5 or 6 teams in they tournament that I don't think ky wants anything to do with right now. If they had played, I'm betting they would have come out with already 3 losses on the year.

Last edited:
Well guys they knew we were in it and the refs cheat so much for us and cheat against them so much, there was no reason to even play in it.

He probably made a wise choice. There were 5 or 6 teams in they tournament that I don't think ky wants anything to do with right now. If they had played, I'm better they would have come out with already 3 losses on the year.
Surely that wouldn’t have hurt your feelings though if they lost 3 straight:p

He probably made a wise choice. There were 5 or 6 teams in they tournament that I don't think ky wants anything to do with right now. If they had played, I'm better they would have come out with already 3 losses on the year.

Which is specifically why they didn't play in it.

On one hand, I can't hate on a coach for not throwing a very young team into the lion's den early in the season. Some young teams are ready for that and others aren't. I get it. On the other, does anyone else think it might be counterproductive for a coach to be as vocal about being down on a team as Calipari is? I get acknowledging challenges and deficiencies, but with Cal it always feels like he throws his players under the bus to avoid any personal blowback from the UK fanbase. It's irritating.

Reactions: Quavarius
On one hand, I can't hate on a coach for not throwing a very young team into the lion's den early in the season. Some young teams are ready for that and others aren't. I get it. On the other, does anyone else think it might be counterproductive for a coach to be as vocal about being down on a team as Calipari is? I get acknowledging challenges and deficiencies, but with Cal it always feels like he throws his players under the bus to avoid any personal blowback from the UK fanbase. It's irritating.

Cal basically does this with every team.

Cal basically does this with every team.
He does. But with other UK teams, it's more like he's downplaying how good they are just in case. With this one, they're actually not very good at this point, so it just comes off as being even more self-serving

Reactions: Mpm277
They play in a pretty awful league, he should have played in the PK80. Atleast when K plays cupcakes it's because he knows the ACC will provide a challenge before the NCAA Tournament. Cal's just padding his win total. So selfish.

Reactions: DukefanKY
Cal likes to hedge his bets a lot. He want you to believe his team isn't good and when they win it's something spectacular. When they lose he can have them rewind the tape to when he said the team was flawed.

Cal likes to hedge his bets a lot. He want you to believe his team isn't good and when they win it's something spectacular. When they lose he can have them rewind the tape to when he said the team was flawed.

Oh yeah, we know exactly what Cal is doing.

Newsflash: His team is young this season!

UK still has to play Virginia Tech, UCLA, Louisville, and West Virginia (already played Kansas). Pretty sure Cal thought his OOC Schedule already had enough quality games on it, which is probably true, to be honest... Kentucky is good and so is North Carolina. But neither strike me as legitimate top 10 teams. I think but are Round of 32/Sweet 16 type.

All teams play some cupcakes but the supposed greatest program in history should show up for a tournament that is honoring the founder of your school's apparel company. Bad look.

Heard the only way UNC agreed to show up at the PK80 was to be in the opposite bracket of Duke and though they originally had the champions of each bracket playing each other, it was a deal breaker for Roy. Didn’t want to get his ass kicked by Duke by at least 3 times (and possibly 4) this year. Turned out Roy had nothing to worry about since UNC wasn’t making it out of their bracket.

Reactions: QC Dukie
We were down in all three games. If it wasn't for Bagley we would lost some games. He is a dominant player.

Cal knows he doesn't have the guard play this year to compete three nights against top competition.

We were down in all three games. If it wasn't for Bagley we would lost some games. He is a dominant player.

Cal knows he doesn't have the guard play this year to compete three nights against top competition.
Yeah ummm but we didn't lose any games AND ummm yeah that dominant Bagley kid will play for Duke all season. Just pointing out that what you posted was stupid as hell.

They play in a pretty awful league, he should have played in the PK80. Atleast when K plays cupcakes it's because he knows the ACC will provide a challenge before the NCAA Tournament. Cal's just padding his win total. So selfish.
:rolleyes: SEC is highly ranked this year. You are regurgitating with no facts. I think it was very smart not to start too difficult of a schedule with zero upperclassmen.

:rolleyes: SEC is highly ranked this year. You are regurgitating with no facts. I think it was very smart not to start too difficult of a schedule with zero upperclassmen.

Highly ranked? Bahahahahaha

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. 3 top 10, 4 top 25, ark. looking in. smh. You must not keep up. Lots of great wins this year. btw I had nothing to do with those wins personally. They are what they are.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. 3 top 10, 4 top 25, ark. looking in. smh. You must not keep up. Lots of great wins this year. btw I had nothing to do with those wins personally. They are what they are.

Cool

SEC is pretty stout this year. They currently have the best conference rpi ranking. And when you look at the kenpom rankings, every team is in the top 70, with the exception of LSU (who defeated Michigan).

https://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/conference

KenPom Rankings:

SEC
5. Texas A&M
9. Kentucky
10. Florida
27. Alabama
29. Arkansas
33. Tennessee
40. South Carolina
47. Auburn
54. Missouri
61. Ole Miss
62. Vanderbilt
66. Miss State
68. Georgia
96. LSU

ACC
3. Virginia
7. Duke
11. Notre Dame
13. North Carolina
20. Miami
25. Louisville
39. Virginia Tech
43. Florida State
52. Clemson
53. Syracuse
63. Georgia Tech
81. Wake Forest
90. Boston College
92. NC State
156. Pittsburgh

Reactions: Deli owl
Yea we started out with a weak schedule too......smh

:rolleyes: SEC is highly ranked this year...I think it was very smart not to start too difficult of a schedule with zero upperclassmen.
If Cal wants to send his kids to the pros ASAP, he should provide better competition in order for them to develop more quickly--"very smart" or "ducked"?

Reactions: Quavarius
Any rating system that has Virginia above Duke and ky above Florida is highly questionable to me!!

Their true ranking will be more apparent and more stable once the sample size for games is expanded. All 6 finalists from the past 3 seasons have all been ranked in the top 3 by the end of the season. It's much more accurate than the RPI at this point, though. RPI has Vermont (#3) and Middle Tennessee (#10) in the top 10 - and Michigan State (#72) and Cincinnati (#79) are a long ways out from sniffing the top 25... Still a lot of games to be played this year, but I think the SEC is one of the better conferences this year.

Their true ranking will be more apparent and more stable once the sample size for games is expanded. All 6 finalists from the past 3 seasons have all been ranked in the top 3 by the end of the season. It's much more accurate than the RPI at this point, though. RPI has Vermont (#3) and Middle Tennessee (#10) in the top 10 - and Michigan State (#72) and Cincinnati (#79) are a long ways out from sniffing the top 25... Still a lot of games to be played this year, but I think the SEC is one of the better conferences this year.

I agree they are better this year than they have been

If Cal wants to send his kids to the pros ASAP, he should provide better competition in order for them to develop more quickly--"very smart" or "ducked"?
He has a fantastic track record of developing them his way. Not mine or yours. That's why he gets the big bucks. It's not like he didn't just play KU and plays other good teams. He just didn't throw a team of all freshmen and two sophs into the fire. They have never played together and they are 18-19 years old. They will be where he wants them in March hopefully.

He has a fantastic track record of developing them his way.
Does he really "develop" players or does he merely take kids that might have gone to the NBA right out of HS and babysit them for a year?

Reactions: QC Dukie
He has a fantastic track record of developing them his way. Not mine or yours. That's why he gets the big bucks. It's not like he didn't just play KU and plays other good teams. He just didn't throw a team of all freshmen and two sophs into the fire. They have never played together and they are 18-19 years old. They will be where he wants them in March hopefully.
Funny. K threw all his freshman into the fire, and we haven't lost yet. I guess that just means our freshman are better than your freshman/sophomores.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT