ADVERTISEMENT

Any recruiting Intel?

...I think K wants to dominate recruiting this class, he wants them all, hopefully he gets who he wants.
Coach Jagger's philosophy = you can't always get who you want, but if you try sometime you find you get who you need.

Coach Freddy Mercury 's philosophy: I want it all, I want it all, and I want it now!

Reactions: GAAP
I've read articles/sites that call the class of 2021 a "Top-Notch" High School class. These classes seem to come along every 5 or so years, the most recent being the Zion class.
I think K wants to dominate recruiting this class, he wants them all, hopefully he gets who he wants.

This. Locked in AJ...Patrick Baldwin is next. That gives you 2 legit stud top 10-arguably top 5 players. Both with a ton of skills and size and b-ball IQ.

KC AND PB lists of similar schools include: Duke/Kentucky/Tenn.

I think those could definitely end up at Duke depending how a lot of the freshmen do this season...mainly Roach and MWilliams. Those 2 come back or maybe 1 of them and I think we miss out in the duo. If Roach/Williams leave for the pros I think it would definitely open up for them to come to Duke. I’m still not sold they don’t end up at different colleges.

I see Duke getting AJ/Baldwin- SG either Keels or Christie (haven’t heard much in him with Duke at all lately). + possible another big if Paolo doesn’t work out.

Having guys like Steward/Brakefield/Colemen and possible one or two other guys here following season will be huge. Duke could possible have 3-5 guys coming back the following season.

A lot up in the air.....I mean imagine Duke bringing back Roach/Steward/Jaymen/Colemen/Mark

Then bring in...AJ/Baldwin/Paolo/Kennedy/Keels. (Probably see a transfer?)

Wouldn’t even be fair....very doubtful this would happen. But only time will tell. We won’t know until we see how our freshman play before we will know much!

It is I interesting because Duke has the current #2 class coming in, but really only one of those guys is 100% one and done (Johnson). I think standard reasoning suggests another one or two of those guys will go as well, which is okay because it likely means they played well. But this is probably a few more question marks in that way than Duke normally has going into the season. For example, this year, everyone knew two of the three early exits were coming, and that a third was likely (though I think many would have guessed Hurt as opposed to Stanley, but Stanley is older).

It appears that the OAD era will continue with the exception of some of the top recruits going directly to the G league. If that is the case, will it make it more likely that the next tier of recruits, the 10-20 ranked players, will stay longer because the G league guys will be ahead of them? If so, we may see our guys staying longer (except for the Johnsons and Stanleys of the world who are top rated or older)?

It is I interesting because Duke has the current #2 class coming in, but really only one of those guys is 100% one and done (Johnson). I think standard reasoning suggests another one or two of those guys will go as well, which is okay because it likely means they played well. But this is probably a few more question marks in that way than Duke normally has going into the season. For example, this year, everyone knew two of the three early exits were coming, and that a third was likely (though I think many would have guessed Hurt as opposed to Stanley, but Stanley is older).
I actually think that the two classes are pretty similar in terms of OAD prospects. Actually, next years class seems to have a more sure fire OAD than last year in Jalen. At this point, we just expect all of them to go, so I know we mostly expected to see Vernon go, but given the draft projections nothing really seemed certain going into the year. Getting 2 of the 4 back was really pretty surprising, just like getting Tre back the year before.

If we are able to keep 4 of the 6 incoming freshman for more than a year, I would say that's pretty good given the state of the game.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
It appears that the OAD era will continue with the exception of some of the top recruits going directly to the G league. If that is the case, will it make it more likely that the next tier of recruits, the 10-20 ranked players, will stay longer because the G league guys will be ahead of them? If so, we may see our guys staying longer (except for the Johnsons and Stanleys of the world who are top rated or older)?
It will be interesting to see how the new rules on profiting from name, image, likeness affect jumping to the pros. High profile kids at high profile schools could get some sick deals. Zion may have stuck around if he could’ve still signed his shoe deal.

I just read a certain Kuminga guy is working on reclassifying. Sorry don't have the link.

K cooled off because he’s never attending college. Had he stayed in college, Duke was gonna be the favorite.

Yeah.....this G-League taking kids is a big deal, gonna cost Duke the #1 recruit in the country.

Reactions: christophero

K cooled off because he’s never attending college. Had he stayed in college, Duke was gonna be the favorite.

Yeah.....this G-League taking kids is a big deal, gonna cost Duke the #1 recruit in the country.
We will just get the number 2 player then. We’re not losing anything. Sounds like Kuminga never wanted to be in college anyway

Sarr from Wake just committed to Kentucky. This is a big deal. Especially if he can get a waiver. Kentucky has their big man.

Emoni Bates just committed to Michigan State, and I'm guessing he never sets foot on campus. (I'm thinking G League.)

Emoni Bates just committed to Michigan State, and I would bet a million dollars he never sets foot on campus. (I don't have a million dollars but I'm thinking G League.)
I sure hope he never plays in college, Bates is the real deal.
I know we hear all the time about a "generational talent" or "the next Lebron/KD" but Bates IS Kevin Durant, I actually think he will be better because he's more athletic.

I've heard on numerous podcasts/read a few times that if Bates was able to enter the NBA draft RIGHT NOW as a 16 year old sophomore, he would easily be the top pick, that teams a year ago would have completely tanked the season for the right to take this 16 year old...he's that special.

I sure hope he never plays in college, Bates is the real deal.
I know we hear all the time about a "generational talent" or "the next Lebron/KD" but Bates IS Kevin Durant, I actually think he will be better because he's more athletic.

I've heard on numerous podcasts/read a few times that if Bates was able to enter the NBA draft RIGHT NOW as a 16 year old sophomore, he would easily be the top pick, that teams a year ago would have completely tanked the season for the right to take this 16 year old...he's that special.
He is KD in every way. I can’t imagine he plus a second of college ball....at least from a pure competitor standpoint i hope not. Having said that it would be great for college basketball to have a kid like that play.

Reactions: jwill133
I just read he said he was not interested in the G league. Still think he'll go pro if the rules change, but that is interesting.

He is KD in every way. I can’t imagine he plus a second of college ball....at least from a pure competitor standpoint i hope not. Having said that it would be great for college basketball to have a kid like that play.

Why commit two years in advance if you’re not seriously considering college ball?

Why commit two years in advance if you’re not seriously considering college ball?
Well for one, if you don't like the recruiting circus, you keep the colleges at bay. Plus, the fact that a 16 year old is seriously considering college ball today, with the NBA rules as they are, hardly means he won't change him mind in a year or two, especially if the rules change.

Could be any number of reasons. Maybe he doesn’t like the recruiting and this is something he can do to focus his efforts elsewhere in the meantime. Maybe it’s a marketing play. Maybe it’s a combination of that and it works as leverage for other pro opportunities.

This is just a verbal commitment, correct? So in the history off the world, has a 16 year old ever changed their mind by the time they are 18? Exactly.

Didn't JJ commit when he was 16?

Well for one, if you don't like the recruiting circus, you keep the colleges at bay. Plus, the fact that a 16 year old is seriously considering college ball today, with the NBA rules as they are, hardly means he won't change him mind in a year or two, especially if the rules change.

He is either going to the NBA IF they change the rule for 1 and done OR he will reclassify to 2021 and spend a yr in college at MSU. Been on the radar since 7th grade

Kuminga, another recruit who probably would be a Blue Devil if not for this G-League phenomenon. Look, I think it's great that the NBA is now allowing these 18 year old superstars a chance to get paid and be a pro, but from a Duke standpoint, it may hurt us for a few years.

I know that K will be ahead of the curve moving forward on knowing who to recruit, who isn't interersted in college, etc. But Duke was landing the elite of the elite, now it seems like those guys won't be available anymore. The most important thing for Duke at the moment seems to be keeping our lower-tiered 5 star and 4 star kids (Roach, Steward, Williams) around for more than 1 year...just like Hurt and Moore.

Hurt and Moore and Coleman and Brakefield and Williams and Roach and Steward and Williams are exactly the kids we should be targeting. Granted we got a little lucky with Hurt and Moore developing slower.

We don't need more than one uber recruit a year. Not everyone can be a general. This year's class is perfect in that regard. No, I woudn't turn down Zion, but he was the exception.

We made 1 final four in the past 10 years with the best recruiting classes during that decade. I’m not going to miss the OAD super team era. Take me back to the 90/00s.
We won it all in 2010 and 2015. 2020 was a wash for everyone, so who knows what would have happened. I would love to have 2 more natty’s in the next decade

Complaining about 2 titles in 10 years is kinda ridiculous. Complaining about all the success and runs we’ve made. All the talent laughable. Could things have ended a little better? Sure. Should they? Absolutely. But nobody else has it better.

Spoileddddddddddd.

The only thing I would add is find one other school that is in the mix for the number 1 ranking every single year. None. Kansas is close but they have down years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT