ADVERTISEMENT

Any recruiting Intel?

Hopefully. I think he’s bound to end up with his dad though.

j you could very well be correct. No doubt I think he prepares more for the next level with us, but family ties are a tough nut to crack.

OFC

j you could very well be correct. No doubt I think he prepares more for the next level with us, but family ties are a tough nut to crack.

OFC

I've always thought although it would be nice to play for your dad but they are negatives. It's ok for youth sports I guess but depending on the youth as well as the father pressures and expetations could be a problem. In high school there is always the chance of favortism and I have seen that also but there have been some great success stories there such as the Hurley's and the Capel's. When it comes to college I tend to feel it's better the athlete play for someone else. I know Press and Pete Maravich worked out but it wasn't a very succesful team and there have been other successes with a father coaching his son. For the most part I think after high school it's for the best that the athlete plays for someone else. OFC

It seems like recruits always say things like this and end up at the big programs anyway. Like how they always include the local school on their list. Wasn't Tatum going to play for his dad?

If we get everyone back but Hurt Moore and Johnson we're in great shape.

Very true...! Even if Duke didn’t add a single guy they could still roll out 21-22

Roach
DJ
AJ/Baker
Paolo/JBrake
Mark/Henry

Already “8 deep” next season...Most every team in America would kill for that type of talent. Top 10 easy.

Pat...Trev: YOU'RE UP!! Who’s next?!

Reactions: christophero
We already got 2 studs coming in (Griffin Banchero). If that’s it (it won’t be, we will have a larger class than 2 obviously) and we return everyone but Moore, Hurt, and Johnson, I think we are title favorites.
If we get Baldwin and another (Keels) than it’s a classic Duke versus the field for the title, we will be better than the Zion team.

I still think Baldwin is ours. I may be wrong, but this feels like when Wendell Carter JR kept Harvard on his final list of schools. Baldwin keeping his dads school listed is just the right thing to do. But if he wants to make hundreds of millions of dollars someday, Duke should be his choice.

We already got 2 studs coming in (Griffin Banchero). If that’s it (it won’t be, we will have a larger class than 2 obviously) and we return everyone but Moore, Hurt, and Johnson, I think we are title favorites.
If we get Baldwin and another (Keels) than it’s a classic Duke versus the field for the title, we will be better than the Zion team.

I still think Baldwin is ours. I may be wrong, but this feels like when Wendell Carter JR kept Harvard on his final list of schools. Baldwin keeping his dads school listed is just the right thing to do. But if he wants to make hundreds of millions of dollars someday, Duke should be his choice.

We are in great shape with our current recruits. We can't complain but Baldwin would make us better. Just don't want him at cheater u. OFC

As a father, I would hope Mr. Baldwin is encouraging his son to consider the option that best suits him across the board.

Look at a guy like John Danowski...Back when he was coaching at Hofstra, he still encouraged his son [Matt] to pick Duke.

I am not going to shame UW-Milwaukee; but apples to apples, I think most objective evaluators would say that Duke presents WAY more in terms of opportunities, both as as a student and an athlete.

Like others said, hopefully the family sees the merits of allowing their loved one to chase dreams that will not be available to him at a smaller program like UWM

Reactions: DukeNation12
Any idea when Baldwin will announce his choice ?

According to Matt Giles( who can sometimes overreact), we might be losing ground with Baldwin. I certainly hope this isn’t true and just recruiting noise to keep suspense as a decision sounds not too far off.

According to Matt Giles( who can sometimes overreact), we might be losing ground with Baldwin. I certainly hope this isn’t true and just recruiting noise to keep suspense as a decision sounds not too far off.
If Baldwin has any dreams of being the #1 overall pick, that won't happen with him playing in the Horizon league. The article mentions Baldwin wanting to help his dad out who is averaging 20 losses a season. That's great and all...but it could cost him. If he chooses his dad's school, I think it's the wrong decision, but I would understand why.

The exposure he would get at Duke is obviously different than anywhere else. I hope he isn't worried about the Banchero/Griffin commitments because they are all similar in size. The dream is Griffin at the 3, Baldwin 4, and Banchero at the 5. Banchero did say on twitter months back though that he isn't a center. Maybe Baldwin feels like Banchero has already chosen Duke to come play PF and he doesn't want to interfere?? I don't know. What I do know is I'm hungry for a commitment and would love for us to grab Baldwin and call it a class.

Read on another board a recent zoom meeting with Baldwin was awkward, he's leaning towards playing for his dad, and that Keels is leaning Nova.

What... the... hell??

Maybe Baldwin has seen Tape and Coleman dunking all over everyone in the scrimmages.

Maybe Baldwin has seen Tape and Coleman dunking all over everyone in the scrimmages.

Good point. Also, does Tape get another year because of COVID? If so, Duke will more than likely have Williams and Tape at center. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Read on another board a recent zoom meeting with Baldwin was awkward, he's leaning towards playing for his dad, and that Keels is leaning Nova.

What... the... hell??

This has turned into an online version of the game "telephone".

Nobody ever said the Baldwin zoom call was awkward. The coaching staff is being very cautious with Baldwin because of the unique dynamics of the recruitment, and he may not have been ready to give them a commitment yet.

There are sources with good contacts who are steadfast in saying Baldwin and Keels are having very productive conversations with Banchero and Griffin about teaming up.

Right now, I would bet heavily on Baldwin and Keels committing to Duke at some point.

And there's going to be Hell to pay for the rest of the country.

This has turned into an online version of the game "telephone".

Nobody ever said the Baldwin zoom call was awkward. The coaching staff is being very cautious with Baldwin because of the unique dynamics of the recruitment, and he may not have been ready to give them a commitment yet.

There are sources with good contacts who are steadfast in saying Baldwin and Keels are having very productive conversations with Banchero and Griffin about teaming up.

Right now, I would bet heavily on Baldwin and Keels committing to Duke at some point.

And there's going to be Hell to pay for the rest of the country.
I was getting kind of bummed with how this thread was going...

but you just saved it and got me fired up again. Hope you’re right!

jnastasi is correct. There's a lot of talk about positionless basketball. That's nonsense. You need three competent "point" guards, and two bigs who can protect the rim. After that, you can mix and match as needed

After seeing Roach shoot he may be one and done. If we get 2 of Goldwire Roach and Steward back we're good.

Goldwire is very, very good. He belongs in the thread about players who contribute without being All Americans. Goldwire, Vrankovic,and Zion were the players of the game in the 2019 ACC Championship Game.

Can't find it right now, but 247Sports had a new blog up and it goes into the Baldwin recruitment. It's obviously down to Duke and his dad's school, and the article expects him to be a spring decision. I WILL hold my breath for Baldwin, think he's a difference maker and would be a key piece on the 21-22 Duke team which should be title favorites. Keels I'm not crazy for, especially if we get Steward back.

IMO there is no such thing as recruiting a 4 year guy anymore. 4 star kids are trying to get to the league quickly too. Sure we got Goldwire, who had ZERO major offers, and he's been a diamond in the rough. Just my opinion, but I don't think we should be competing with schools like Eastern Kentucky/Georgia State when it comes to recruiting. We got lucky with Goldwire, most unranked kids can't play in the ACC.

Baker could be a 4 year guy. But yes they are rare. I think we should take a shot at one Goldwire type per year. Even a talented walk on can pay off down the road.

Reactions: geddoughton23
All this Coleman buzz seems to have gotten some scout's attention. Who knew. Hope we dont have a big turnover after this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT