ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Harris to OV this weekend

Take his twitter account away, but get the commitment. Don't let him leave Durham without it.

Last edited:
He would be a nice get if he is a good defender and adequate offensively. He is a combo guard, so maybe not a pure PG... But if you can land a guy who 4 star recruit that plays good D and who will likely be a 4 year guy, not a bad backup plan. It is nice to have 5 - 5 star recruits, but sometimes you need solid defenders who are team players... and in my opinion guys who play D help you win just as much as scorers who may be lacking on the defensive end.

He would be a nice get if he is a good defender and adequate offensively. He is a combo guard, so maybe not a pure PG... But if you can land a guy who 4 star recruit that plays good D and who will likely be a 4 year guy, not a bad backup plan. It is nice to have 5 - 5 star recruits, but sometimes you need solid defenders who are team players... and in my opinion guys who play D help you win just as much as scorers who may be lacking on the defensive end.

Eh. What is a true PG today? Tyus Jones was one, but even his Bro is probably more towards a combo guard than Tyus was. Cole Anthony is listed as a PG, but he's a combo guard that is a score first lead guard more than a team runner. That is just the position today.
If we are brutally honest with ourselves, we'll admit that TYUS called his own number (successfully) every time we needed a clutch basket.

Yeah... I guess just hopefully he is a good enough ball handler and passer to get them into their offense. I only watched a short clip of his highlights.

Good D sounds good to me.

Jordan Goldwire was a nice pickup in the OAD era, a guy that came from a great HS program and plays pretty good D. A 4 year guy. He handles the ball well enough to get you into the offense... a good backup and maybe his shot will develop enough where he can keep the D honest and start late in his career...

Wow what a weird year. Maybe K had some ace in the hole he just can’t pull out yet

Yep. Mrs.Carter followed by Semi’s mothers statements.

Mothers hold clout I think we all can agree on that.

I don’t know about being gone on Saturday night, but as of yet he still hasn’t been offered. Something weird is going on. Not sure what it is.

Not necessarily.
Look, it is a bad class. And at the risk of disproving an old, pointless homily, the bird(s) in the bush might be way better than the one in the hand.
Put simply, don't take a player in this class if that player could cost you a better player in the next class. We don't need to over react to a few setbacks. Panic won't help us.
Patience might. Look, some parents aren't thrilled with us. The two most high profile current players, Tatum and Irving, have nothing but glowing thigs to say about K. Ingram is pretty close in that regard. And our on-court performance could help Duke this year. Right now, there are some questions around the program, for whatever reasons. But in 2 months, Duke might be incredibly popular in the national conversation.
And I reiterate my points about Anthony. He will decide on the best hoops situation next may. If that is Duke, the amount of time we spent on him won't matter that much. If it isn't Duke, then any time spent on him between now and then won't matter.
And, even if we miss him, I'd rather not use a scholly on a kid who won't be that good immediately, who might scare off better players in later classes. Even if the kid won't scare off later players, don't use schollys on kids who aren't difference makers. A frosh Boone might not be much better than junior Goldwire.
I'm as worried as any other fan, but given teh relative weakness of this class, we don't need to make stupid decisions.

Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball

Looks like he had fun on the visit. Have no clue if he got an offer but dressed in the Uniform and taking a pic with Nolan.. seems interesting

Yeah, well he has 3 pictures in the Duke one, and only 2 in the wake gear...

In agreement with DukefanKy and PatrickYates. This class has never excited me like any of the last many. Maybe it is because I do not know enough about them but I am not worried one bit about what K and the staff are doing. As one who hates 1 and done, I would love to see Duke basketball with upper classmen leading the way. This will be a great opportunity to see Jack White, AOC, Javin, Goldwire and hopefully Bolden making major contributions next year. We may not win 30 games but I can guarantee the team playing hard and playing team defense better.

The latest from Evan Daniels is that the Harris recruitment is moving in another direction away from Duke.

What a crazy few weeks on the recruiting trail. I don't know what other point guard/combo guard options are out there.

recruiting seems really weird to this point in this class, but thankfully we have 2018-2019 to look forward to......#dukeallday

That team won’t go far at all if your relying on AOC, Jack etc.

AOC could be one of the best players in the nation. But Baker and Jack are likely to be role players at best. But add a Carey or Hurt or Stewart or Anthony, and you've got a top 10 team.
While I think Jav might be a top tier defender and rebounder as a senior, I've yet to see Bolden make strides. Counting on him might be foolish.

AOC could be one of the best players in the nation. But Baker and Jack are likely to be role players at best. But add a Carey or Hurt or Stewart or Anthony, and you've got a top 10 team.
While I think Jav might be a top tier defender and rebounder as a senior, I've yet to see Bolden make strides. Counting on him might be foolish.

Pretty disappointing so far. However, there's plenty of time left to pick up some good players.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Duke isn’t getting Hurt, Stewart, or Carey and Anthony is a pipe dream. The only player Duke has a good shot with is Moore and he could end up at State. Some of you think having players like Goldwire and AOC as JRs automatically makes Duke a title contender. It does not. Duke needs some OAD players on the roster

I never said anything about us being a title contender with AOC et.al. It would definitely be a step back for a season or so but, seeing not a one of us has any idea how long K is going to coach, I can still guarantee that as long as he is here he will put a competitive team on the court and, as long as he in charge, the program will not die out. I am sure that whether he is here 1 more year or 5 more years, he knows what he is doing.

I wasn’t saying you but someone else said it. Everyone knows it’s getting close to K hanging them up. It’s frustrating to me when I see posts about not wanting talent that is ridiculous to me

Reactions: dukephysics
I wasn’t saying you but someone else said it. Everyone knows it’s getting close to K hanging them up. It’s frustrating to me when I see posts about not wanting talent that is ridiculous to me
Who on here doesn't want talent?

Well Mac let’s just say I see people on here saying that Bagley was a terrible player the kid wanted to come here and some are saying they didn’t want him?

I do agree with you pavadukefan about wanting the talent. Our National Championship teams all had GREAT TALENT. I hate seeing us miss out on our targets. I am just not sure how "all in" we are to the targets of this 2019 class. Like I said, I just dont know as much about these guys as I did the last few classes. Not sure how they stack up.

Is there any chance with Carey. He is visiting during CTC. Seems us or mich state? If everyone saying no shot why visit

Well Mac let’s just say I see people on here saying that Bagley was a terrible player the kid wanted to come here and some are saying they didn’t want him?
Part of what you said is true pava. No one said he was a terrible player. But talent isn't everything.

It was proven too hard to keep four elite players happy this past season, especially when they each think they should have been more of a focal point. That's one of the biggest issues with this one and done culture. The kids and their parents don't think like the fans.
I don't know the answer, but I do know you can have too much talent.

Is there any chance with Carey. He is visiting during CTC. Seems us or mich state? If everyone saying no shot why visit
Everything I've gathered, 6 months ago when Duke was the hottest name on the block, Carey JR was a virtual lock for us. Since then, along with just about every other recruit, everything is trending in the wrong direction.

Carey JR is the most NBA-ready prospect in the draft, he would be a top 3 pick if he was allowed to leave outta HS, why Mich State?? If anything, Tom Izzo has shown to be pretty terrible with OAD guys, Miles Bridges spent 2 years in town, and he was always assumed to be a virtual OAD lock.

Supposedly he will take a 2nd official visit to Michigan State in Jan/Feb (taking advantage of the new rule.) Then he will commit somewhere around his birthday in Feb.

A betting man would bet on Mich State.

It seems to me people wanted to get away from less OAD players well it looks like that is going to happen with the 2019 class I think. I get it people want it like Nova and UNC where players stay longer but what are you going to say to someone like Bagley who says hey I want to come to Duke Coach K. What’s K to say to him? No I don’t think so? That’s crazy

Reactions: jwill133
It seems to me people wanted to get away from less OAD players well it looks like that is going to happen with the 2019 class I think. I get it people want it like Nova and UNC where players stay longer but what are you going to say to someone like Bagley who says hey I want to come to Duke Coach K. What’s K to say to him? No I don’t think so? That’s crazy
This. What people fail to realize is UNC and Nova aren’t building their programs through 3 star and lower rated 4 star players.
They are still landing McDonald’s All-Americans, but are essentially keeping those guys multiple years. Jalen Brunson comes to mind, 5 star. Justin Jackson. Countless other UNC guys that I don’t feel like searching for.

The sweet spot seems to be guys rated in the mid 20’s overall. Think Grayson Allen, Luke Kennard, and Quinn Cook.
Obviously these guys had different career arch’s, but they gave Duke multiple years. And in this day and age, that’s the most you can ask for.

I would add that some of the players on Nova had offers from Duke and that some of other players were academic risks. I know people say well so was Duval. Kennard played so well his Sophomore year that he had to leave. Would some you leave if you had guaranteed money waiting for you? I venture to say yes. Also Allen and Cook as good as they were how many people routinely criticized them during there 4 years? You can’t have it both ways. Either way people complain when the reality is Duke has been highly successful for a few decades. Not many schools can say that, plus it’s been done above board. Duke will get players as long as K is there

The only happy medium is if you win.

I don’t think anyone here doesn’t want talent, or even one-and-done’s. Villanova and UNC are somewhat anomalies. It’s not really some kind of system. UNC was under a pretty heavy scope with a lot of unknowns. It cost them a lot of recruits. It also helped them in ways.

Look back at 2010. We were seemingly missing on every big target. We struck lightning in a bottle with guys who were 5-Star recruits but not perceived as ‘good enough’ for the NBA. They stuck around and it greatly benefitted us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT