ADVERTISEMENT

And now Malik Monk to UK as well.

KellenPatrick

Cameron Crazy
Feb 23, 2007
New York
Unreal. Supposed rumor that he wanted to sign with Arkansas but his brother, who is already there, convinced him not to because of some type of problems or "turmoil" there at Arky. If true then the Arky fans will be running that kid right out of town. And who benefits from this garbage? Good old Cal....of course.

Bam and Monk on consecutive days. Just amazing. The whole Bam recruitment really did have a shady as hell feel to it, though.

"Aaaand Duke will still have the better team top to bottom next year." .....based on what?? You realize that of the 5 players committed to UK next year, 4 are in the Top 10, right? Factor in what UK will have returning as well. (Humphries, Lee, Willis, Wynyard and maybe even Briscoe)

"Aaaand Duke will still have the better team top to bottom next year." .....based on what?? You realize that of the 5 players committed to UK next year, 4 are in the Top 10, right? Factor in what UK will have returning as well. (Humphries, Lee, Willis, Wynyard and maybe even Briscoe)

We have the #2 recruiting class with two top 5 draft picks coming in next year and possibly Bolden coming on board. Along with our returning players Thorton, Matt, Grayson? etc....I wouldn't trade our team for any team in the country next year.

Reactions: diehardDUKIEnKY

I wouldn't be surprised to see Willis transfer after this season.

I am surprised Fox and Monk committed this early. I would've expected them to wait to see who leaves for the draft and who stays.

Well, one that is not right. 3 are arguably in the top 10 depending on the service. Two, assuming Giles can recover, most regard Duke's top 2 recruits as better than all of UK's guys. Three, and more importantly, the guys Duke look to be bringing back are far more highly regarded than the ones UK may be bringing back. I know you love your UK guys. But common. Did you just compare Wynyard, Humphries, and Willis to the guys Duke is likely to bring back -- e.g., Thornton, Kennard, Jeter, Matt Jones, and, yes, Grayson Allen. I know Allen was all kinds of aweful last night, but frankly last night may have made Duke significantly next year. Jeter and Thornton are very young for their class years (not academically, but compared to high-major DI athletes). A fully year younger in actual age than guys like Scal and Briscoe (Jeter's actually like 1.5 years younger than both) -- who will both be turning 20 by April. I suspect we're going to see significant growth from this group this year (particularly Allen), but really next year is when most of these guys are going to be breaking out. And, finally, oh btw) if Bolden commits to Duke, Duke is universally going to be ranked as having the better class. In the 247 sports composite ranking, Duke's 4 man class is still ranked ahead of UK's 5 man class.

Now, I agree it's impossible to forecast how it will all fit together at this stage. But, on paper, Duke's roster is going to be incredibly deep with top 25 type recruits -- including a number of guys with some experience. The only person who even remotely fits that category for UK is Marcus Lee. But, frankly, he's pretty clearly proven to be a bust compared to expectations. Now, maybe my thinking would be a bit different if Ullis & Briscoe returned. But, little about UK's culture these days makes me think that will happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: contrerasmjc
Well, one that is not right. 3 are arguably in the top 10 depending on the service. Two, assuming Giles can recover, most regard Duke's top 2 recruits as better than all of UK's guys. Three, and more importantly, the guys Duke look to be bringing back are far more highly regarded than the ones UK may be bringing back. I know you love your UK guys. But common. Did you just compare Wynyard, Humphries, and Willis to the guys Duke is likely to bring back -- e.g., Thornton, Kennard, Jeter, Matt Jones, and, yes, Grayson Allen. I know Allen was all kinds of aweful last night, but frankly last night may have made Duke significantly next year. Jeter and Thornton are very young for their class years. A fully year younger in actual age than guys like Scal and Briscoe (Jeter's actually like 1.5 years younger than both) -- who will both be turning 20 by April. I suspect we're going to see significant growth from this group this year (particularly Allen), but really next year is when most of these guys are going to be breaking out. And, finally, oh btw) if Bolden commits to Duke, Duke is universally going to be ranked as having the better class. In the 247 sports composite ranking, Duke's 4 man class is still ranked ahead of UK's 5 man class.

Kentucky is going to be stacked next year with quite possibly some nasty studs. Duke will be great as well, but I'll take my boys at this point. There won't be a class better than UK by any composite when the chips fall.

We have the #2 recruiting class with two top 5 draft picks coming in next year and possibly Bolden coming on board. Along with our returning players Thorton, Matt, Grayson? etc....I wouldn't trade our team for any team in the country next year.

Kentucky has quite possibly the number 1 or 2 pick this year, and he's not even a top 3 producer at this point. One of your hosses has some serious health issues (of course I hope he doesn't miss a beat) and Duke looks very unathketic, even if they return.

Lots of unanswered questions next year for both teams.

For what its worth..Duke is trending for Bolden again...2 Duke insiders picked him to come here yesterday. It's going to be UK/Duke 1a 1b again next year in recruiting classes.

Last edited:
Reactions: pisgah101
Aaaand Duke will still have the better team top to bottom next year.
really? They were suppose to have a better class this year #1#2 player in the country plus ESPN article K does it better LOL Didn't look like it last night a 5'8 guard had his way!

really? They were suppose to have a better class this year #1#2 player in the country plus ESPN article K does it better LOL Didn't look like it last night a 5'8 guard had his way!

The #1/2 players are coming next year. lol.

Reactions: pisgah101
Grayson staying? I don't see it but then again last night he showed he can't tomahawk dunk on grown boys right? I think he is a baller but last night looked like a immature freshman! almost would say ball hog!

Grayson staying? I don't see it but then again last night he showed he can't tomahawk dunk on grown boys right? I think he is a baller but last night looked like a immature freshman! almost would say ball hog!

I think he's coming back...but I wouldn't be suprised if he left.

The #1/2 players are coming next year. lol.
my bad I thought for sure they said last night it was this class,I can admit when I am wrong. UK was better last night Duke looked lost on several trips and saw something I never see with duke ball hogs taking shots that was about "ME" Allen was driving against grown boys not Bryant guys lol He looked like a freshman,and I think he is a baller,just didn't show it last night! UK/Duke are best 2 programs in country when it comes to recruiting WHAT KILLS me 2-3 years ago K and Fans were saying UK and Cal was ruining CBB hahahaha I guess they are too now!

Well, one that is not right. 3 are arguably in the top 10 depending on the service. Two, assuming Giles can recover, most regard Duke's top 2 recruits as better than all of UK's guys. Three, and more importantly, the guys Duke look to be bringing back are far more highly regarded than the ones UK may be bringing back. I know you love your UK guys. But common. Did you just compare Wynyard, Humphries, and Willis to the guys Duke is likely to bring back -- e.g., Thornton, Kennard, Jeter, Matt Jones, and, yes, Grayson Allen. I know Allen was all kinds of aweful last night, but frankly last night may have made Duke significantly next year. Jeter and Thornton are very young for their class years (not academically, but compared to high-major DI athletes). A fully year younger in actual age than guys like Scal and Briscoe (Jeter's actually like 1.5 years younger than both) -- who will both be turning 20 by April. I suspect we're going to see significant growth from this group this year (particularly Allen), but really next year is when most of these guys are going to be breaking out. And, finally, oh btw) if Bolden commits to Duke, Duke is universally going to be ranked as having the better class. In the 247 sports composite ranking, Duke's 4 man class is still ranked ahead of UK's 5 man class.

Now, I agree it's impossible to forecast how it will all fit together at this stage. But, on paper, Duke's roster is going to be incredibly deep with top 25 type recruits -- including a number of guys with some experience. The only person who even remotely fits that category for UK is Marcus Lee. But, frankly, he's pretty clearly proven to be a bust compared to expectations. Now, maybe my thinking would be a bit different if Ullis & Briscoe returned. But, little about UK's culture these days makes me think that will happen.

Jerry Meyer actually said UK's class would be #1, that there was a glitch in their system.

Look at this clown. ESPN said K is winning by doing it Cal's way. Big difference. There is a thread over at Rupps titled something like "Another disgusting ESPN article." Then the OP went on to say how it is nothing but a K/ Duke love fest. And how when Cal does it it is considered shady but when K does it is great. You know, the usual spin from you guys. There were several tools like yourself that went with this garbage but also quite a few UK fans that told them they don't know wtf they are talking about and that the article did not put Cal down in any way. No idea why the fans with great teams (Bama football and UK bball) seem like the absolutely most paranoid.

Kentucky beats us by 11 now they are world beaters when literally 24 hr ago many of them was saying a game in Nov doesn't matter. Funny how things work themselves out. As for next year Idc who they sign Giles and Tatum are better than them combined added with what else we have coming and staying we will be the overwhelming favorite next year no matter what. Let them enjoy this win because it doesn't make them champion of anything not last year which we won not this year which I can't see them winning and not next year when it should be us!!!

Reactions: contrerasmjc
Ehh. Kentucky has the best two incoming guards next year, and Duke has the best to incoming forwards. I'm thrilled to death with our class and if I were you guys I'd be thrilled to death with yours. Who gives a crap which class is "better" according to some made up computer system?

How about that both teams will be stacked next year. Both teams have tradition, rabid fan base, and a track record to back it all up. Good luck this year and next... Much respect
Yeah, it's great to be us, isn't it? Good luck back at you.
OFC

UK has been to the final 4 five of the last six years. Duke has been knocked out in the first round twice, I think. Not trying to flame, I just think it's funny when you say how much better coach K is in March. Both teams will be much better later in the season. Who would win later in the season depends on who improves the most. The bad thing about recruiting all these " one and done" players is you don't know when or if they are going to figure it out. UK missed the tournament one year with the number one class and ranked #1 in the pre season. I think k Duke has a big weakness with their point guard situation. Thornton may be the answer. Enjoy the season.

Duke does not have the number one class this year and everyone knows it.
I wonder how often Cat fans would post here if they weren't 2-7 against Duke in the past 35 years.

Honestly, it's more to do with luck on dukes side than anything else. Terrible timing for UK in most of those games. This year we got the lucky bounce.

For example, the only time K has had to face cal at UK is our NIT year after our title. That's pretty lucky if you ask me considering you missed all the final four teams and title team. We had to play Wisconsin in the 1st final four game which is absured or we would have played last year. It's not our fault Duke gets some favorable NCAA tournament draws.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Duke, but let's not act like it's just a black area.

Who gives a crap who has the #1 recruiting class? If it doesn't translate into a title, then what's the point?

How about that both teams will be stacked next year. Both teams have tradition, rabid fan base, and a track record to back it all up. Good luck this year and next... Much respect
Very well said. Honestly, we should all have this kind of mindset.

Duke does not have the number one class this year and everyone knows it.

Honestly, it's more to do with luck on dukes side than anything else. Terrible timing for UK in most of those games. This year we got the lucky bounce.

For example, the only time K has had to face cal at UK is our NIT year after our title. That's pretty lucky if you ask me considering you missed all the final four teams and title team. We had to play Wisconsin in the 1st final four game which is absured or we would have played last year. It's not our fault Duke gets some favorable NCAA tournament draws.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Duke, but let's not act like it's just a black area.

In the 9 game stretch, UK entered the game as the higher-ranked team in 4 of the 9 matchups (losing 3 of them) and was ranked in the top 7 in 8 of 9 contests. UK's problems over the past 35 years have nothing to do with "timing." Don't let facts interfere with your feelings though.

Further, the excuses about the 12-13 are funny on a couple levels. First, you don't get a pass just because you weren't great one year. By that standard, Duke shouldn't count last night -- b/c this is arguably our weakest or 2nd weakest squad since Calipari arrived at UK. Second, that 12-13 team was clearly in line to make the NCAAs until Noel tore his ACL and, pre-injury, was in the midst of a season that was largely indistinguishable -- if not better -- than the 10-11 and 13-14 seasons (UK was 17-6 and 8-2 in the SEC at the time). In fact, UK was 16-6 in 10-11 and 15-5 in 13-14. Duke beat that UK team at full strength. Reality is that since Calipari has arrived at UK, Duke has won 2 national titles and entered the NCAAs with teams that would have been indisputably favored over UK in 3 other seasons had we faced off in the postseason (10-11, 12-13, 13-14).

However, if this delusion is what lets you sleep well at night (i.e., gets Laettner out of your head), go for it.

Last edited:
In the 9 game stretch, UK entered as the higher-ranked team in 4 of the 9 matchups (losing 3 of them) and was ranked in the top 7 in 8 of 9 contests. At the time those games were played, most people thought UK came in with more than a fighting chance to win. Don't let facts interfere with your feelings though.

Further, the excuses about the 12-13 are funny on a couple levels. First, you don't get a pass just because you weren't great one year. By that standard, Duke shouldn't count last night -- b/c this is arguably our weakest or 2nd weakest squad since 09-10. Second, that 12-13 team was clearly in line to make the NCAAs until Noel tore his ACL and, pre-injury, was in the midst of a season that was largely indistinguishable from the 13-14 season (if not arguably better at the time). Duke beat that UK team at full strength. Reality is that since Calipari has arrived at UK, Duke has won 2 national titles and entered the NCAAs with teams that would have been clearly favored over UK in 3 other seasons had they faced off in the postseason (10-11, 12-13, 13-14).

However, if this delusion is what lets you sleep well at night (i.e., gets Laettner out of your head), go for it.

Ok

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT