ADVERTISEMENT

A look ahead to next Sunday

Tatearmstrong

Cameron Crazy
Feb 28, 2016
Duke is very much in the running for a #1 seed. Virginia is a lock for a 1, and probably Villanova as well. That would seem to leave 4 or 5 teams in contention for the final two slots—Duke, Kansas, Xavier, UNC and Purdue. Michigan State is done and only has two wins (versus four losses) against teams in the RPI top 50.

Of those 5 teams, against the RPI top 50, Kansas is 11-2, Duke 10-3, Xavier 8-3, UNC 8-7 and Purdue 5-3, with a chance to go to 6-3 and become Big Ten champions today. But even with a win today, they will have a weak overall resume. I think Xavier falls to a two seed unless they win the Big East tournament. Their losses include two blowouts to Villanova, and I don’t see the Big East getting two top seeds unless Xavier wins that tournament. UNC would likewise seem to need to win the ACC tournament to have any shot at consideration. Kansas seemed to be in good shape prior to yesterday’s blowout loss to Oklahoma St. That was their fifth loss to a team outside the top 50, and the second blowout.

If Duke wins the ACC tournament, I think they are virtually certain to get a one seed, and they might still have a shot just by getting to the finals unless both Kansas and Xavier win their tournaments.

Reactions: bdhollowell
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News