ADVERTISEMENT

2 seed in Midwest

Laettner

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 11, 2002
So last night's loss clearly drops us down to the 2 line & Wisc to 1 line. I see us as #2 in Midwest which means Kentucky. 2nd time in three years that ACCT no show affects our seeding big time. 2013 we lost in Qtrs & got shipped to Lville bracket. Was hoping Quinn would use that as teaching point for young guys. Last nights loss is huge blow.

They won reg season title and have one less loss.

Kentucky, Villanova, UVA, Duke will be the one seeds. Can't dismiss what Duke and Virginia accomplished during the regular season.

OFC

This does not clearly drop us to a 2 seed. And we were certainly not an ACC tourney no show. The first half and some last night we played terrible. But came back and had a chance to win but okafor can't hit foul shots. I do not see this puting us out of a num 1 seed. And it's certainly not "clearly"

I could see UVA dropping before us. Not saying it's right, but here's why....

In the past the committee has taken injuries into account. Go back to 2000 when Kenyon Martin injured his leg and it dropped Cincy to a 2-seed. Plus, last night was Duke's first loss in over six week but UVAs second in three games. Those things are weighed.

Last night I had my doubts, but after clearing my head and the frustration of the evening wearing off I realize pretty plain as day how impressive our total body of work has been. It's better than all of Arizona, Wisconsin, Villanova and UVA. I just think that wins out in the end.

Now, it's March 14th and I'm heading to the golf course in Minnesota. This is officially the earliest season opener we've had here. Grip it and rip it!

I don't think a loss to the #11 team in the country drops us from the 1 line, especially after the win streak and the SOS. I think VA should be a 1 also but if you compare both, I think Duke gets it over VA

Guys, I really don't think we will drop from a #1 seed. I still believe we will be the No.1 seed in the South Region no matter what happens with anyone else.
I think Virginia's chances of dropping to a No.2 are better than ours.
We have too many quality wins to drop, we did beat Virginia @ their house, and we did make it to the Semi-Final of our Tourney. We didn't lose the Semi to the local YMCA.
I've been wrong before and this is just my honest opinion.
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

duke is still a 1 seed unless the selection committee is drinking tainted koolaid.

i think i see us falling to a 2 right now. just a bad loss for us last night. not going to impress the committee. also, zona, wisc, and nova all bringing it.

i see the 1's as Ky, Nova, UVa and Zona/Wisc depending on outcome. perhaps UVa falling out. oh my, we may find ourselves in Ky's bracket with that loss. that would be bad.

our body of work may get it, but i see UVa getting the nod over us.

saw this, thought it might cheer the board up. from nbc sports....

With both Virginia and Duke losing Friday night at the ACC tournament, the final two No. 1 seeds are very much up for debate. Wisconsin fans are smiling this morning because winning the Big Ten tournament puts them in prime position to move up. Although still the top two-seed right now, Badger fans will also like the fact that they've moved East and away from Kentucky's slot in the Midwest. Syracuse is closer than Houston, that's why East over South.
The Selection Committee may have to make a decision about the health of Virginia's Justin Anderson. While still a great team, UVA isn't quite the same with him not a full strength. Injuries can have a potential impact on final seeding. If the Committee ends up making a choice between Duke and Virginia for a No. 1 seed slot, do they reward the Cavaliers for their regular season ACC title? Or do they reward Duke for posting two of the biggest road wins this season - at Wisconsin and at Virginia. Duke and UVA only played once.
As of this morning, Duke has the most wins (9) of the trio (UVA/Wisconsin) against NCAA-bound teams. For that reason, plus the most Top 25 RPI wins among the group (7) - Virginia has five; Wisconsin three - Duke sits at No. 3 on the Seed List. By tonight or tomorrow, we'll see if Wisconsin or Arizona make a final push.

Duke will be a one seed, I really can't see that changing! The NBC article above tells the story, because the committee needs to numbers and proof to tell the story for them..... They can not justify anybody not named Kentucky over Duke! We will be the 1 in the south with Kansas and probably a loaded bracket

Virginia has lost two out of three and doesn't have the s.o.s of duke, I think they both stay a 1

Even if we are a 2 seed we are easily the top 2 seed which will put us either in the East or the South with either Villanova, Wisconsin, or UVA as our 1 seed and I like our chances against any of those teams.

This post was edited on 3/14 1:47 PM by mo.st.dukie

If Wisconsin, Villanova, and Arizona all win their tournaments, which I think is likely, it will be interesting. As the article above states, Duke more quality wins that anyone in that group, but the committee loves a tournament championship.

No team has as many top 10 road wins as us. That is the major consideration. Head to head matters too. Be beat Wisco on their home court by 10 with their whole team. We will not be a 2 seed!

IMO, Duke is still in good shape for a 1 seed. I view it as Villanova, UVA, Duke, and Wisconsin fighting for three #1 seeds. Im not even gonna consider Arizona because when a team has 3 losses to teams with RPI's above 150 you dont deserve a 1 seed. Sorry. If Nova wins tonight they definitely get one of those remaining spots. Now I understand peoples argument that Duke didn't win either regular season title or conference tourney and UVA and Wisconsin did. Valid point. But if you look at the ENTIRE body of work, Duke deserves a 1 seed. 11 wins against RPI top 50, including head to head wins over UVA and Wisconsin, RPI and SOS both in the top 10.

I think you have to step back and look at it this way:

What other conference tourney's final four consist of ALL RANKED TEAMS? None. Just the ACC! The selection committee values "what have you done lately" and we had won 12 straight games. SWEEPING the team in the finals and beating the other by 30 points. Think about that for a second. That's one hell of a run! UVA on the other hand has lost their last 2 of 3 games AND Duke holds the head to head win AT UVA. If any ACC team drops off the one line, it's UVA. Frankly, they benefited from an unbalanced ACC sched. They are reeling right now. Once people step back and evaluate resumes, Duke's will stand out.

I also got to add, I wanted this ACC title REALLY bad and still am really bummed... BUT this ND team is no slouch. They will be a 3 seed! Duke will remain a number 1... which number 1 depends on Nova (what a joke) and Wisc.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I'm sure hoping it's a one but it's looking like a #2. I felt we needed to get to the championship to be guaranteed a#1 seed. Now it's a guessing game. We knew what was on the line at 9 p.m. last night. If it is a # 2 just suck it up, man up and take care of each opponent 1 game at a time. OFC

Just because you win a conference tournament, you are not entitle to jump other teams and their season long success and better resumes. Especially when you haven't or will not play a ranked team in said tournament.

Sure made a big difference between a 1 and a 2 back in 2010.

Plus wisky has one less loss than we do... we'll see. I really, really want that 1 and think we deserve it.

1 or 2 seed to me doesn't matter. I will gladly take a 2 seed in Villanova's bracket. This team is a Final 4 team, no matter who Duke plays if they show up for 40 minutes we should be fine. ND won the game because Duke was over confident and didn't show up to play in the 1st half. I am hoping that this "L" will open their eyes to the fact you have to be ready to play from tip off or you are going home. With that being said, I really love our chances in the NCAA tournament.

It sucks that we didn't win the ACC tournament, but look at our resume. Wins at Virginia, at Wisconsin, at Louisville, Michigan State, swept UNC, of course Notre Dame took the series against us but we beat them by 30 in one game. Numerous wins over teams that will be in the field. Virginia won the regular season title but their resume will not be picked over ours.

And even in the event that we do drop to a #2 (which will not happen), the selection committee would NEVER put Duke and Kentucky in the same bracket. In a perfect world for media purposes, a Duke/Kentucky championship game/final four game would hall in more ratings than any other possible matchup in college basketball

I think there is now more confusion on the 2/3 seed line than the 1/2 line. The team(s) that miss out on the 1 seeds will be safe 2's but Iowa St just beat Kansas and the ACC championship could change some things on the 2/3 line. Iowa St could be a 2, if Notre Dame wins they have an argument to be a 2, or if Carolina wins (hopefully not) a 3 seed wouldnt be unreasonable. So what does that mean for teams like Kansas or Gonzaga?

Duke is a one...

Duke vs. Arizona - Arizona has three BAD losses

Duke vs. Wisconsin - I am sorry, Duke won, dominated, AT WISCONSIN

Duke vs Virginia - The ONLY thing going for UVA is better ACC-ACC Tournament record (THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN ACC REGULAR SEASON CHAMPION) by ONE GAME. But with only four home-and-home, let us look at comparison

Duke:

ND (3)
UNC
Syracuse
Wake
NCST

UVA:
VT
NCST
Louisville
Wake
UNC
FSU

If Duke and UVA switched schedules, Duke does not have more losses but I got to imagine UVA has a least one more. I think it i a no-brainer if you take off the Duke-hating glasses.

It could go either way with Duke being a 1 or a 2. Of course I think we deserve the 1 over UVA. The Cavs lost 2 out of 3 games down the stretch. We also beat them at their house. Both of us lost in the semis of the ACCT, but we lost to the 11th ranked team in the country while they lost to UNC...plus ND beat UNC for the championship. UVA is trending in the wrong direction.

OFC

I think Duke is a 1 seed. Duke really has no bad losses and with 2 of the teams they are competing with Duke won both times and on the road to boot. I believe Uva is a 2 seed in the east with Nova. Wisc is the other 1 seed and they go to the west. Big question is who is the 2 seed with Duke? I believe it would have been Kansas in Duke's bracket but after they lost I am not sure who it is? I believe Gonzaga is the 2 with UK.

Kentucky fan:

I think the 1's are locked as UK, Duke, Villanova, Wisconsin.

100%

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT