ADVERTISEMENT

Playing Time

What Would Jesus Do?

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
Now that the roster seems set, how do you expect PT to be divvied up? Here's a template you can copy&paste and fill out if you want to. New guys listed more or less in height order. Last year's numbers filled in for returning players.

PlayerPGSGSFPFCTOTAL
Tyrese Proctor30--------30
Caleb Foster--25------25
Cameron Sheffield
Kon Knueppel
Sion James
Isaiah Evans
Darren Harris
Mason Gillis
Maliq Brown
Cooper Flagg
Patrick Ngongba
Khaman Maluach
TOTALS4040404040200

Last edited:
This looks terrible, but you have to start somewhere. I gave everybody at least 5 min and no more than 30.

Big logjam on the wings.

Who's the best PG backup?

You can make more time for the hotshot freshmen wings if you go small, but do you really want Flagg playing in the post? Might have to if either Ngongba or Maluach isn't ready as a freshman.

PlayerPGSGSFPFCTOTAL
Tyrese Proctor30--------30
Caleb Foster1015------25
Cameron Sheffield--5------5
Kon Knueppel--10------10
Sion James--5------5
Isaiah Evans--525----30
Darren Harris----5----5
Mason Gillis------5--5
Maliq Brown------15--15
Cooper Flagg----1020--30
Patrick Ngongba--------2020
Khaman Maluach--------2020
TOTALS4040404040200

Last edited:
Reactions: christophero
McCain isn’t returning. Think you mean Foster. If any player averages 30 minutes a game that means the bench has been very under utilized .
I’d put Proctor, Flagg, Brown,Mal, Foster at 20-25 minutes max .
Sion, Evans, Gillis at ten to 15 minutes and Big Pat five to ten minutes with Harris and Knup seeing two to five minutes maybe .
If Flagg only plays 10 minutes at SF then we are playing him out of position to much and the roster does not make sense . I’d switch his minutes around .

Last edited:
I think it will take a little time for Mal to get adjusted to the speed of the game. (See Lively, Williams, etc.) So I think we will start the season with Brown at the 5, Cooper at the 4. Brown will get 25 minutes or so; he is very valuable. That will likely change second semester as I think Mal will get more minutes and likely start. I also think Foster's injury needs to be considered. I think we start the season with Proctor and James in the backcourt, with Foster as the backup. Flip (not the player) James and Foster second semester. The 3 is wide open, with Evans, Kon and Gillis splitting time. James has the size to play the 3 but we need him in the backcourt. James has some DeMarcus Nelson to his game. It does seem like every summer we predict we will go big, and we end up going small. We shall see. DBR seems split on whether Cooper is a 3 or a 4. I think Gillis starts at the 3 to start the season, and perhaps one of the freshman overtakes him. I do think Gillis will see the floor a lot; he is a proven winner and coaches love guys like that. Our portal guys allows us to bring the freshman along slowly, other than Cooper who should be an impact guy from day one. The wildcard is the other freshman center, but he missed his entire senior year so he may have to wait a year to be a rotation guy. Brown will likely be ahead of him.

Last edited:
Reactions: GLStarrBrand
Flagg is playing sf, Mal is your starting center, Brown at pf . If Flagg is playing pf and Brown at center then what’s the point of recruiting two true centers ? I think the roster is being severely over thought. If you play Flagg at pf you are giving up one of your best nightmare match ups and playing him out of position. He’s looked at and listed in college and NBA boards as a small forward .

Reactions: dukecorey
True but we are deep at the wing and Flagg at the 3 squeezes those guys out.

But if you look. Knup played pg-sf in highschool. Harris sg-sf . Evan’s played sg-sf . So that’s Evan’s off the bench for Flagg and Knup and Harris splitting low minutes at sg . Flagg was recruited to Duke to be a sf not even a stretch four .
If you,” Do not play or start “ two true highly rated centers then you are sending a message you do not use bigs . All the evidence needed to back this up can go back to Coleman and look at the loss of bigs since him . You pretty much lost an entire frontcourt this season to no playing time ( Reeves,Power, and Stewart ). Reeves being the exception because a fresh start is what he needed and he couldn’t stay healthy . Gillis can also play some sf-pf if needed for low stretches .
I get I’m not the coach and I believe in Scheyer however I do believe you got Mal to commit as him being the starting center . Brown to commit in order to play his natural position pf and only briefly at center . There fore I do agree with twenty minutes at sf for Flagg and ten at Pf which then frees up the other ten minutes for Evans, Gillis, Knup and Harris at the sf-sg spots . I also do believe that between Proctor, Foster and Sion there will be possibly 15 minutes to be had in the back court for Knup, Harris, Gillis and Evans.
Kinda going to be fun to see how these lineups play out come November.

If Flagg only plays 10 minutes at SF then we are playing him out of position to much and the roster does not make sense . I’d switch his minutes around .
I'd put Flagg 100% at SF if possible, but who else is going to play PF? And if the wings look seriously log-jammed now, imagine if he grabs more time there.

Should either of the huge frosh play PF? Will either be able to give more minutes? So often these big youngsters can't handle lots of minutes.

That's is my thinking, too.

You want Flagg on the floor for as many minutes as he can handle. So the question becomes whether it's better to have him on the floor out of position, or on the floor less.

If Brown can give good long minutes at PF, meaning Flagg plays mostly at SF, that's great. But then which of the top-20 freshmen rides the bench to, in effect, make room for Brown?

Reactions: christophero
Another option would be Cooper at the 4 and Mal at the 5, with Brown backing up both. It's irrelevant what Cooper will play in the NBA he will play where Duke needs him. I do think Mal will be our starting 5 eventually. I have read that Gillis played a lot of 4 at Purdue, and played it well, but having a huge 5 probably helped with that.

Last edited:
Another option would be Cooper at the 4 and Mal at the 5, with Brown backing up both. It's irrelevant what Cooper will play in the NBA he will play where Duke needs him. I do think Mal will be our starting 5 eventually. I have read that Gillis played a lot of 4 at Purdue, and played it well, but having a huge 5 probably helped with that.
Not if you read the article by his father it’s not . Mal is your starting five . And just like you said Gillis can play some at the four backing up Brown which in return keeps experience in the front court with Sion, Proctor and Foster keeping experience in the back court . Flagg is a small forward and playing him extended minutes at the four is crazy given the make up of this roster . The log jam isn’t really a log jam when you look at who can play where and Duke never goes 11 deep so yes one to two players are odd man out .
By the way Duke recruited him to play sf .

Reactions: dukecorey
I'd put Flagg 100% at SF if possible, but who else is going to play PF? And if the wings look seriously log-jammed now, imagine if he grabs more time there.

Should either of the huge frosh play PF? Will either be able to give more minutes? So often these big youngsters can't handle lots of minutes.
You have both Brown and Gillis to help man the pf spot . Flagg will be there briefly but no need . Like in my response to Chris with this move there really isn’t a log jam any where. It free’s up Evans, Knup and Harris to back up the sg and sf spot . Duke has never played 11 players and don’t think you see it constantly this season either unless injury .

The minutes will be a little easier to predict once we know which player is getting foot surgery in early October.

But seriously, I think Proctor and Flagg are the only guaranteed starters. We have a lot of options, and practices should be super competitive. I hope Mal is amazing and ready but he is a wildcard.
College sports has become every man for himself, including Jon. If Mal is still raw or needs time, Jon shouldn’t be starting him, he should be trying to win games.

I just don’t get why everyone is suggesting Flagg at the 4? Why even bring in Brown and Gillis then?? They are natural 4’s and Flagg is a SF. The players that might have a tough time with minutes is Kon &/or Harris. I would go with the veteran players at least to start. Now will Flagg play some 4 and Brown some 5, it depends on Ngongba and if Duke goes to small lineup again. I hope not.

I truly believe the best lineup next season is Foster, Proctor, Flagg, Brown, Maluach. I think that lineup has everything. Experience, scoring, size and defense.
And look at the amount of talent on the bench. Jon could almost go with 2 platoons. Not that anyone would like that, but he could.

Sounds right but I think Kon and Evans will see the floor, maybe like Stewart and Power. And there are always injuries, so those guys should get a shot. Harris and the other big man and the Rice transfer may be the odd guys out.

Last edited:
Reactions: sheyduke
Sounds right but I think Kon and Evans will see the floor, maybe like Stewart and Power. And there are always injuries, so those guys should get a shot. Harris and the other big man and the Rice transfer may be the odds guys out.
I think you see big Pat in for Mal and don’t be surprised if Jon doesn’t play a bench more to keep players fresh . It’s a long season and at the beginning of it I think he plays the bench more until ACC play . There is really to much experience and talent on this roster . With Gillis and Sion coming off the bench you really could afford to gamble with the freshman .

I think you see big Pat in for Mal and don’t be surprised if Jon doesn’t play a bench more to keep players fresh . It’s a long season and at the beginning of it I think he plays the bench more until ACC play . There is really to much experience and talent on this roster . With Gillis and Sion coming off the bench you really could afford to gamble with the freshman .
I just appreciate the transfers are proven. They played meaningful minutes at their previous schools.

Sounds right but I think Kon and Evans will see the floor, maybe like Stewart and Power. And there are always injuries, so those guys should get a shot. Harris and the other big man and the Rice transfer may be the odd guys out.
Chris I just can't see Darren Harris as an odd man out. I watched several of his games. Not only can he shoot the lights out, he has good handles too.

I realize Kneuppel is an excellent player, and hate to see him as an odd man out also. I so wish Jon would go with about a 10 man rotation up to the holiday break, perhaps breaking some teams to get a TRUE FEEL of chemistry. Some
will say I am dreaming, and perhaps I am.

Foster however is going to need time to get fully recovered. Ngongba from what I understand is not 100%. I could see us playing Brown at the 5 some, and he still has plenty of artillery at the 4 spot.

Minutes 1st part season:
Flagg:32
Proctor 24
James 22
Foster 18
Brown 24
Maluach 22
Evans 20
Gillis 16
Harris 8
Kneuppel 8
Ngongba 6

OFC

Last edited:
Chris I just can't see Darren Harris as an odd man out. I watched several of his game. Not only can he shoot the lights out, has good handles too.

I realize Kneupper is an excellent player, and hate to see him as an odd man out also. I so wish Jon would go with about a 10 man rotation up to the holiday break, perhaps breaking some teams to get a TRUE FEEL of chemistry. Some

Foster however is going to need time to get fully recovered. Ngongba from what I understand is not 100%. I coMuld see us playing Brown at the 5 some, and he still has plenty of artillery at the 4 spot.

Minutes 1st part season:
Proctor 24
James 22
Foster 18
Brown 24
Maluach 22
Evans 20
Gillis 16
Harris 8
Kneupper 8
Ngongba 6

OFC
That sounds like a perfect rotation, everyone stays fresh and foul trouble shouldn’t be an issue. Plus everyone stays involved and most importantly happy. Let see if that happens. If there is any adjustment regarding the minutes though it will probably affect the bottom three first in my view with Foster and Proctor possibly getting more minutes. All the other minutes look in line of what I was thinking too.

That sounds like a perfect rotation, everyone stays fresh and foul trouble shouldn’t be an issue. Plus everyone stays involved and most importantly happy. Let see if that happens. If there is any adjustment regarding the minutes though it will probably affect the bottom three first in my view with Foster and Proctor possibly getting more minutes. All the other minutes look in line of what I was thinking too.
Corey thanks, and you're very likely on the $$$.

OFC

Most every poster will be happy if we're winning games by 30, everybody plays and everybody scores, but I doubt that will happen. Sure, Flagg might average 28 or 29 minutes for the season, but in a tight game if he's not in foul trouble and playing solid? I'd guess 35-36 minutes. That might be the case for a couple others too, and what about a kid that comes in and plays really well?

We make these comments like recruit the best talent and who cares if they get mad... that's fine to say, and generally, I agree. The only problem though is there's this little word that is the elephant in the room, and that word is chemistry. Any one or more player on the team that feels shafted, can (most likely will) keep the team from being what they need to be.

Reactions: pisgah101
Chris I just can't see Darren Harris as an odd man out. I watched several of his game. Not only can he shoot the lights out, has good handles too.

I realize Kneupper is an excellent player, and hate to see him as an odd man out also. I so wish Jon would go with about a 10 man rotation up to the holiday break, perhaps breaking some teams to get a TRUE FEEL of chemistry. Some

Foster however is going to need time to get fully recovered. Ngongba from what I understand is not 100%. I coMuld see us playing Brown at the 5 some, and he still has plenty of artillery at the 4 spot.

Minutes 1st part season:
Proctor 24
James 22
Foster 18
Brown 24
Maluach 22
Evans 20
Gillis 16
Harris 8
Kneupper 8
Ngongba 6

OFC
No way I'm giving Flag 32 minutes, regardless of him being the #1 player. There is a learning curve and a reality he's playing older players. Proctor and Foster get heavy minutes. Gillis, James, Brown have played heavy minutes on D1 teams, they will challenge him practice, and then you will find out what he can do. Unlike Pablo B., Flagg does not have a Williams, Moore or Theo to help him with this transition. Give the kid time.

No way I'm giving Flag 32 minutes, regardless of him being the #1 player. There is a learning curve and a reality he's playing older players. Proctor and Foster get heavy minutes. Gillis, James, Brown have played heavy minutes on D1 teams, they will challenge him practice, and then you will find out what he can do. Unlike Pablo B., Flagg does not have a Williams, Moore or Theo to help him with this transition. Give the kid time.
I respectfully disagree that Flagg will need time. The kid is one the best recruits in 20+ years. I’ve seen recruiting analysts say he would have started and been Dukes best player last year as a HS senior. The kid has won championships at every level. And unlike most elite freshman, his defense is actually further along than his offense.

I’m aware the game has gotten older and freshman aren’t dominating like they did for a period. But UCONN had a freshman as one of its core players playing 30+ mpg (Castle). I think Jon is seizing the moment with Flagg, he knows he has a generational talent that doesn’t come along too often, and the roster he is putting around him tells me that. Jon is going all in on a title this season. I believe in competitive games that Flagg will be playing 35+ mpg, because that’s how much your best player should be on the floor.

I respectfully disagree that Flagg will need time. The kid is one the best recruits in 20+ years. I’ve seen recruiting analysts say he would have started and been Dukes best player last year as a HS senior. The kid has won championships at every level. And unlike most elite freshman, his defense is actually further along than his offense.

I’m aware the game has gotten older and freshman aren’t dominating like they did for a period. But UCONN had a freshman as one of its core players playing 30+ mpg (Castle). I think Jon is seizing the moment with Flagg, he knows he has a generational talent that doesn’t come along too often, and the roster he is putting around him tells me that. Jon is going all in on a title this season. I believe in competitive games that Flagg will be playing 35+ mpg, because that’s how much your best player should be on the floor.
Well said. "Generational talent" is also right!

OFC

I hear your point, but to compare Castle's teammates to ours is not realistic. Those UConn kids were coming off of a SHIP. The culture was established. Castle averaged 11ppg, if Flagg averages 11ppg the season is a wash. Castle averaged 27mpg at the guard position, but he also had Newton and Spencer. Again, if we had a Williams, Moore and Theo to assist in growth, no pressure.

Last edited:
"Any one or more player on the team that feels shafted, can (most likely will) keep the team from being what they need to be."

And @Mac9192 I think that's exactly what happened to us this season.

OFC

Reactions: jamsession2
I've watched a lot of Flagg's games. He will make the players around him better. However I don't see him as a Zion type player, or Kyrie, who could score any time he had the ball. Flagg will also take his lumps physically. He'll be 18 years old playing against guys 5 years older. He'll play a lot of minutes but there are times when he is not the best player on the court and I don't know how he'll handle that.

Reactions: jamsession2
I hear your point, but to compare Castle's teammates to ours is not realistic. Those UConn kids were coming off of a SHIP. The culture was established. Castle averaged 11ppg, if Flagg averages 11ppg the season is a wash. Castle averaged 27mpg at the guard position, but he also had Newton and Spencer. Again, if we had a Williams, Moore and Theo to assist in growth, so pressure.
I actually see Castles teammates and Flaggs projected teammates as the exact same. UCONN returned 1 starter off the 23 title team: PG Newton. Duke is returning 1 starter: PG Proctor. Yes, UCONN had a winning culture, but so does Duke, we just haven’t been as dominant clearly.

Regardless..Flagg is a completely different level of prospect than Castle was, I was strictly just pointing out that freshman can start and contribute to national title teams. And you are right, Flagg will need to do a lot more than Castle had to, but that’s what the #1 projected pick should be asked to do.

We don’t have a veteran center to pair with Flagg. But we do have 2 5star seven-footers, and 2 strong veteran bodies in Gillis and Brown. That is plenty IMO to help protect Flagg and to battle him in practice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT