ADVERTISEMENT

Zion's trade value

HeLooks2MuchLikeDave

Cameron Crazy
Dec 1, 2010
I read an article on ESPN today about the Knicks (not really worth posting). Apparently the belief in the league is that Durant and Kyrie will both sign there as free agents. Then the article talked about what the Knicks would do if they landed Zion. And it surmised that the Knicks would (or should) create a trade package centered around Zion, Kevin Knox, some first round picks and maybe other young players to land Anthony Davis. The article said that trade offer "might" entice the Pelicans.

Am I crazy for thinking that I would not even trade Zion for Anthony Davis straight up if I were the Knicks? Why in the world would you have to add Kevin Knox, multiple first round picks, and other young players to get this deal done (aside from salary matching)? The Pelicans have basically zero leverage as it is. Zion can start immediately at the 4 and play productive, efficient minutes--maybe all-star caliber minutes, in his first season. The Knicks would only get Davis for 2 years guaranteed and they'd have to plunk down $55m on top of a payroll that will already be in the luxury tax.

In the NBA, its so easy to make the playoffs that you can get there even when you are trying to tank (see Clippers) yet somehow Davis has only gotten there twice in 7 seasons. Davis has more ailments than I can count and has never played more than 75 games in a season. Meanwhile, Zion has 4 years on a rookie contract making pennies and another 4-5 years on an extension where he will still be way underpaid.

What am I missing here?

It might make since from a players perspective.....as in the players and assets that they could receive for him, but the money that he would bring in and the great teammate he seems to be....I wouldn't trade him.

If the Knicks get the top pick and they think they can land Kyrie and Durant, then getting Davis doesn’t make a lot of sense bc they won’t be able to sign him to a long term max deal. They’ll essentially get two years with him. Better to get Zion on a cheap rookie contract for a few years and have money left over for some good role players. I’d love to see Redick on that team. I’d probably become a Knicks fan.

This is a REALLY good discussion. At the exact moment, Zion's stock couldn't be any higher.

Say whoever lands the #1 pick (Knicks for example), calls up every team asking for that teams best player. Obviously the Knicks would have to throw in "salary-fillers" since Zion would be on the rookie scale, say they throw in Knox and Ntilikina. Not even a pick.
I think the only teams that say no are.....
Bucks- Giannis
Houston-Harden
Warriors-Curry
Portland- Lillard
Wherever KD lands, I don't think that team would give up KD.
Wherever Kawhi lands, though that is extremely tough. I think that team would have an intense meeting about it.

THAT'S ALL FOLKS.

Last edited:
This is a REALLY good discussion. At the exact moment, Zion's stock couldn't be any higher.

Say whoever lands the #1 pick (Knicks for example), calls up every team asking for that teams best player. Obviously the Knicks would have to throw in "salary-fillers" since Zion would be on the rookie scale, say they throw in Knox and Ntilikina. Not even a pick.
I think the only teams that say no are.....
Bucks- Giannis
Houston-Harden
Warriors-Curry
Portland- Lillard
Wherever KD lands, I don't think that team would give up KD.
Wherever Kawhi lands, though that is extremely tough.

THAT'S ALL FOLKS.
There was a lot of concern in Portland that the Blazers were willing to trade Dame if they didn’t do well in the Playoffs. Or that he would demand a trade to join Lebron. I think his performance against OKC will quiet that now.

Reactions: jwill133
Well in the NBA, especially in New York, its not about the build these days. As good as Zion should be (for the record I think he goes down as a top-50 All-Timer), he won't be that guy right away. IF, you had KD and Kyrie, AD puts you over the top. Add a few ring-chasing FA's and you can very well win a title. Now, would that team mesh and play the right way? IDK. But KD with Kyrie and Zion probably doesn't win the title in 2 years. That would be the argument.

I mean, I'm not trading Zion if Im them, regardless. But, I would never work for the Knicks anyways.

I think Knick fans would go nuts if they traded Zion. Who knows theyvmay nother even get the 1st pick.OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Read an article to the other day that a lot of teams would use Zion as a trade chip one team mentioned was the suns should they land the number one pick.

However, Zion and Knox to the pelicans and some first rounders for Davis is not a bad deal

I read an article on ESPN today about the Knicks (not really worth posting). Apparently the belief in the league is that Durant and Kyrie will both sign there as free agents. Then the article talked about what the Knicks would do if they landed Zion. And it surmised that the Knicks would (or should) create a trade package centered around Zion, Kevin Knox, some first round picks and maybe other young players to land Anthony Davis. The article said that trade offer "might" entice the Pelicans.

Am I crazy for thinking that I would not even trade Zion for Anthony Davis straight up if I were the Knicks? Why in the world would you have to add Kevin Knox, multiple first round picks, and other young players to get this deal done (aside from salary matching)? The Pelicans have basically zero leverage as it is. Zion can start immediately at the 4 and play productive, efficient minutes--maybe all-star caliber minutes, in his first season. The Knicks would only get Davis for 2 years guaranteed and they'd have to plunk down $55m on top of a payroll that will already be in the luxury tax.

In the NBA, its so easy to make the playoffs that you can get there even when you are trying to tank (see Clippers) yet somehow Davis has only gotten there twice in 7 seasons. Davis has more ailments than I can count and has never played more than 75 games in a season. Meanwhile, Zion has 4 years on a rookie contract making pennies and another 4-5 years on an extension where he will still be way underpaid.

What am I missing here?

Clippers weren’t trying to take. They were in playoff contention the entire year. They just got rid of Tobias so they would have the space to go get Kawhi this summer. Tanking wouldn’t help their case to get a marquee free agent

Read an article to the other day that a lot of teams would use Zion as a trade chip one team mentioned was the suns should they land the number one pick.

However, Zion and Knox to the pelicans and some first rounders for Davis is not a bad deal
If I'm the Pelicans I'd be all over it

Reactions: sheyduke
If I'm the Pelicans I'd be all over it
That’s possibly the small forward they been missing in Knox and an Alpha in Zion with possibly atleast two more first rounders.

Players are gonna want to play with Zion. He’s just got that chemistry glare that allows him to get along with anyone and doesn’t live in the lights.

Zion is not only a once in a 30 years or so talent, but he's Mr. Excitement. Even if the team that gets him wins only a handful of games, he's going to make it worthwhile for the fans to come and see him play (much like Jordan with the early years Bulls). That gives a GM time to put some players around him.

OFC

I’ve never seen anything like it. A GM that trades the first pick is an idiot. I’m not even saying Zion will live up to or even come close to the hype. But the amount of fannies in the seats that he will accumulate is worth the pick.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
I’ve never seen anything like it. A GM that trades the first pick is an idiot. I’m not even saying Zion will live up to or even come close to the hype. But the amount of fannies in the seats that he will accumulate is worth the pick.
I think for the Knicks it’s the idea that they could land Durant and Irving and seeing as how New York fans, even though they haven’t seen much success still pack the garden it’s a viable option.

Imagine your the Knicks and you sign KD and Irving my first call if I landed the overall number one pick would be to Boston and hoping to switch one for their three first round picks.

I think for the Knicks it’s the idea that they could land Durant and Irving and seeing as how New York fans, even though they haven’t seen much success still pack the garden it’s a viable option.

Imagine your the Knicks and you sign KD and Irving my first call if I landed the overall number one pick would be to Boston and hoping to switch one for their three first round picks.
My first call (if i went with your hypothetical) is to New Orleans for AD. If the pelicans didn’t beat the Knicks to the phone first to make the offer. If you’re the pelicans you make that trade in a heartbeat. I doubt the Knicks would want to trade Zion just for a few more picks to Boston. Boston would gladly give up those picks for Zion.

Well in the NBA, especially in New York, its not about the build these days. As good as Zion should be (for the record I think he goes down as a top-50 All-Timer), he won't be that guy right away. IF, you had KD and Kyrie, AD puts you over the top. Add a few ring-chasing FA's and you can very well win a title. Now, would that team mesh and play the right way? IDK. But KD with Kyrie and Zion probably doesn't win the title in 2 years. That would be the argument.

I mean, I'm not trading Zion if Im them, regardless. But, I would never work for the Knicks anyways.
Right. The argument would be that AD helps you win now more than Zion. Title windows are small in the NBA so you go all-in when you have a chance. But getting 2 years out of AD and being hard capped or at least 7 years of Zion at below market value (and keeping your draft picks) is an easy choice. First round picks are the lifeblood of the NBA (the Heat are still reeling from giving away all their draft picks for what they thought would be an extra year of Lebron). No way if I’m the Knicks would I be giving them away along WITH Zion.

And I certainly do think a team with KD, Kyrie, and Zion could win a title.

Reactions: DukeDenver
My first call (if i went with your hypothetical) is to New Orleans for AD. If the pelicans didn’t beat the Knicks to the phone first to make the offer. If you’re the pelicans you make that trade in a heartbeat. I doubt the Knicks would want to trade Zion just for a few more picks to Boston. Boston would gladly give up those picks for Zion.
It would depend on cap space. Durant and Irving are commanding max deals. Given that Kd just took a cut to stay with the warriors the last couple of years he’s already let it be known he won’t take one at hi next destination.
The pelicans would be interesting but it also depends if AD is willing to take a big pay cut to join Irving and Durant.
They could do a sign a trade with the Knicks but it also depends on what the pelicans want. They were asking for a whole lot from the lakers just for AD

My 2 cents.....

Jan 28th - AD requests trade from Pelicans
Jan 30th - Knicks blockbuster Porzingis trade happens. We are all baffled.

That’s oddly coincidental timing. AD wants out and suddenly the Knicks make a “seemingly” senseless move hours later.

Let’s pause on AD and return to him later.

This is actually pure genius behind the madness. NY massively shedded cap space with the this. They comfortably can afford 2 max deals and a little extra. Not only is KD (obviously, IMO) signing, but he has a best friend and his name is Kyrie Irving. That man is also a free agent this summer. Hint hint. They purposely trade and tank to afford big names next year. That in itself is brilliant. To just top it off they have the highest odds for the #1 pick with no risk and high reward.

I want to note that the Pelicans’ front office made a stellar move by holding onto AD all year. Why? He wants out, no stopping it. This purchases them Zion and they want him bad.

Now I’ll bring back back up AD and NY.

KD and Kyrie might be best friends, but it’s well-known that Kyrie and AD are also very close. I’m not sure how close KD is with AD, but I know they are good pals none-the-less. If NY gets the #1 pick, they will onto the pick and draft Zion themselves and sign him. His contract + some depth allows them to afford AD. The timing of his trade request and NY’s “sTuPiD” Porzingis trade is strikingly close. If they land 1st pick, I think it’s 100% planned as the cherry on top to trade Zion for AD.

Furthermore... With all due-respect to Zion, to me it makes substantially more sense to trade him for The Brow. Along with consensus opinion I do think Zion is going to have a crazy good NBA career, but nothing is proven at this point. AD is 25 approaching the peak of his career. 100% ready to win, 100% proven talent. His efficiency is off the charts and he’s a top 3 NBA player. Even if Zion has an incredible rookie campaign and lives up to the hype, I don’t believe he’s more valuable. Kyrie and AD are about the same age and hitting peak, KD is a touch older and in the middle of his peak. Don’t get me wrong, Zion with KD and Kyrie wouldn’t at all be a bad thing, but I think the 3 peaking proven superstars has to be the choice.

Reactions: DukeJim99
It would depend on cap space. Durant and Irving are commanding max deals. Given that Kd just took a cut to stay with the warriors the last couple of years he’s already let it be known he won’t take one at hi next destination.
The pelicans would be interesting but it also depends if AD is willing to take a big pay cut to join Irving and Durant.
They could do a sign a trade with the Knicks but it also depends on what the pelicans want. They were asking for a whole lot from the lakers just for AD

The cap space is there for the triple superstars. The depth will have to be weak, but they have the money. Projected cap is roughly $75M. That allows 2 max deals to KD and Kyrie with $5M + $10M (9.something million) cap hold for #1 pick. Ridding the complementary players frees up another $17M or so. I’m not positive on the exact $ AD’s is set to be paid next year. I believe around $22M. Affordable.

They’d probably have roughly $10M left over. Roleplayer shopping will be a Goodwill budget, but worth it.... Also worth noting that the Knicks have never been shy about skinny dipping with the luxury tax. After all, the franchise is worth like 4 or 5 billion. At least half of a billion more than anyone else. They are showering in profits at MSG too.

The cap space is there for the triple superstars. The depth will have to be weak, but they have the money. Projected cap is roughly $75M. That allows 2 max deals to KD and Kyrie with $5M + $10M (9.something million) cap hold for #1 pick. Ridding the complementary players frees up another $17M or so. I’m not positive on the exact $ AD’s is set to be paid next year. I believe around $22M. Affordable.

They’d probably have roughly $10M left over. Roleplayer shopping will be a Goodwill budget, but worth it.... Also worth noting that the Knicks have never been shy about skinny dipping with the luxury tax. After all, the franchise is worth like 4 or 5 billion. At least half of a billion more than anyone else. They are showering in profits at MSG too.
There is also the rumor Dolan wants to sale the Knicks. Even though nothing substantial.

The question is, Does AD want to play with Durant and Irving especially that it’s being leaked that Butler is wanting to be the third wheel. Even before Durant , Butler and Irving were rummered to want to play together way before KD.
I would think if the trade happens, The pelicans would ask for The number one pick and the Knicks would also send Dennis Smith Jr and Knox( I think those are the current highest paid players left on the roster). This frees up money to attract veterans.

Ability wise it’s an obvious trade to make. As noted above...AD is a known quantity and has a pedigree from college as good as Zions freshman year.

Zion may thrive with more space in the NBA but won’t help stretch defenses yet and no matter how flashy...is still mistake prone on defense.

The money is the difference. The knicks would need to be real creative in filling out their roster and have some luck

There is also the rumor Dolan wants to sale the Knicks. Even though nothing substantial.

The question is, Does AD want to play with Durant and Irving especially that it’s being leaked that Butler is wanting to be the third wheel. Even before Durant , Butler and Irving were rummered to want to play together way before KD.
I would think if the trade happens, The pelicans would ask for The number one pick and the Knicks would also send Dennis Smith Jr and Knox( I think those are the current highest paid players left on the roster). This frees up money to attract veterans.

Yeah, that rumor has been swirling for a few months. I can’t see him doing it though, right now would be terrible timing. MSG’s revenue is frickin’ insane since they upgraded like 5 years ago and the Knicks are trash. Imagine how much the stock will go up next year assuming they get KD and whoever else... Regardless, next year will only be better.

NY is one of AD’s top choices. I know he has a lot of good friendships in the league but he’s pretty close with Kyrie and there’s no bad blood with Durant. Even though Kyrie and Durant are best friends, I think that’s the questionable pairing.

IMO - Kyrie is the biggest frickin’ ball hog in the league. It’s not glaringly obvious but if you just watch Boston play a few games and pay attention, it sticks out. It’s not really in an inefficient sense, but eh... My problem with it is that Kyrie is an excellent passer and has great vision. His playmaking ability is pretty elite, he just doesn’t utilize it to full potential.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT