ADVERTISEMENT

What's Your 2023-24 Starting Squad?

Are we waiting on Roach to decide to make a portal big man serious offer? I realize they play different positions but only so many minutes available. Roach back would give us a ton of weapons and make me think we could play Flip some at the 5. According to a Brandon Marks article (don't have the link) Duke is looking for a rim protector/role player from the portal, a Shedrick level guy who wouldn't want a lot of shots. he also puts the odds of Roach returning at 50/50 fwiw.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Are we waiting on Roach to decide to make a portal big man serious offer? I realize they play different positions but only so many minutes available. Roach back would give us a ton of weapons and make me think we could play Flip some at the 5. According to a Brandon Marks article (don't have the link) Duke is looking for a rim protector/role player from the portal, a Shedrick level guy who wouldn't want a lot of shots.
I do not think that Roach and a 5 man are correlated at all. News has slowed down on a transfer 5 man, I feel like phase 1 of the transfer portal is over, the news will pick up right after the combine with guys deciding to come back to school.

Hopefully by the end of May our roster is set, but you never know, things could drag out until August.

Duke could be waiting on Bona or one of the 5 that got invited to the combine. Plus they have interest from Aziz Bandaogo which has been quiet. Maybe they are waiting to see if anyone drops out of the draft before moving on him. Or maybe they are trying to figure out if he would be eligible this season with it being his second transfer.

Bona is late first round right now. Think he stays in, but if he comes back it is UCLA.

You are probably right, but there are still a couple names that have been out there as in Holmes II and Sanogo. Not sure if those would be options either. I think there is still a lot of moving parts that need decided. Aziz is still an option and I don’t believe he has scheduled any visits yet. Could be wrong though.

Patience. I have no problem waiting. This team is already good, no need to rush. Two more dominoes (Roach and Lively part Deuce) from having a REALLY great team.

Reactions: dukecorey
Same
If no Udeh than smallball. Young, Stewart. one freshman guard. off the bench. After that its up for grabs. Factor in our usual 2 injuries.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Landing Udeh really forms out our roster as we will have a starting 5 who doesn’t need the ball to be effective.

We will still be really good without him. My issue with small ball is the defense. If anyone noticed last season: Jon did not employ K’s pressure in your face man-to-man defense that was dominant in the 80’s and 90’s, but as handchecking went away it made this defense hard to play. We basically played a pack line defense, obviously having Lively really helped.

If we’re playing small, we will need to pressure the ball. We would have the guard depth to press as well. I also worry about Flip getting through the whole season if he’s going up against centers constantly. Sean Stewart is an ideal 5 man for small ball though.

Please let's not pin our title hopes on Reeves going from playing 10 minutes all season to stud. Getting Udeh allows Reeves to slowly develop. We would be good without Udeh, but some questions at the 5.

Please let's not pin our title hopes on Reeves going from playing 10 minutes all season to stud. Getting Udeh allows Reeves to slowly develop. We would be good without Udeh, but some questions at the 5.
Pinning hopes? Or simply not believing the kid will continue to sit on the bench? Is Udeh that much farther ahead? Yes he’s big and can dunk, but not a very good passer and fouls a lot.

There should be minutes for all three if Duke does get Udeh. Depending on matchups and foul trouble I can see each averaging around 10 or more. I believe Udeh would get 20 or so minutes if he plays up to his potential. Some games Young won’t be as effective in games with quicker bigs and Reeves will play more those games. I truly see each of them being able to be an asset in their roles. Great problem to have and hopefully we hear something soon regarding Udeh. He has so much potential, reason he was a McDonald’s AA.

Though Udeh was a 5-star, he’s still pretty raw, much like Reeves. I’d also say it’s a plus that Udeh was in the Kansas program for a year, they develop guys really well.

I think it would be great for Reeves to have Udeh come here. More competition in practice, and let the minutes be earned.

And then we have Young as the utility guy. Some games he will play 15-20 minutes depending on the matchup, and some games (Miami this past year) he can’t be out on the floor.

Udeh 20 minutes
Young 10
Reeves 5 Flip 5
That would be a nice rotation. Varied from game to game of course. And of course at least one of them will be injured lol

Reactions: orphanduke
Udeh 20 minutes
Young 10
Reeves 5 Flip 5
That would be a nice rotation. Varied from game to game of course. And of course at least one of them will be injured lol
If Reeves only averages five minutes next season he’s hitting the portal after . There were RUMORS ( notice it’s nothing concrete) that he had to be talked into staying and no one goes two years in college any more riding the pine for mop up minutes .

Reactions: Fourteen44
If Reeves only averages five minutes next season he’s hitting the portal after . There were RUMORS ( notice it’s nothing concrete) that he had to be talked into staying and no one goes two years in college any more riding the pine for mop up minutes .
The good news here is that we have already seen Udeh play against Duke. Not that his numbers were great, but he did impact the game. There is no doubt that if Udeh comes, he starts, or plays more minutes.

If Reeves is that much better in year two, great, he will play more than Young. That's an easy fix.

Also, we should be thinking past this season. Young only has one more year, so next year you could have Udeh and Reeves, with potentially Stewart backing up the 5. I've got to believe that is what Jon is thinking.

I don't see how Reeves gets minutes if we get Udeh. We can't play 13 deep, especially if Coach ever wants to run Flip at the 5 with 3 guards.
Somebody is getting left out. Maybe though they won't mind sitting, but no way everyone gets plenty of court time. Or at least not after about two thirds of the season anyway.

No one knows how the 5 spot will workout. Maybe Young will be the one with less minutes if Reeves makes the big jump. But you don’t turn away Udeh if he wants to come. Let practice decide who plays.

Reactions: orphanduke
I'm a big believer in Reeves and as I've said, he so looks the part of being an quality big. My honest hope is he and Udeh can get respected minutes and Youngs minutes shrink.

Flip didn't come here to play the 5 but I do think Jon will go smaller more than what we think to get Stewart and Power on the floor.

Reactions: Fourteen44
It's nice that Scheyer has so many choices and options. Not like years where we were so short on players that the coaches were stuck playing styles they didn't want to use.

It will be interesting to see who stands out as the best five defensive team we can put on the floor.

It will be interesting to see who stands out as the best five defensive team we can put on the floor.
My money would be on Proctor, Blakes, Mitchell, Flip, & Udeh (hopefully.)

Never have loved Roach’s defense, and both freshman seem further along offensively than defensively.

My money would be on Proctor, Blakes, Mitchell, Flip, & Udeh (hopefully.)

Never have loved Roach’s defense, and both freshman seem further along offensively than defensively.
Flip? He’s not the best defender . IMO if you want they best defensive line up it would probably be Proctor, Blakes, Mitchell, Stewart and Udeh/Reeves .

I wouldn’t say that. His defense will get him on the floor .
I’m not so sure. We have plenty of defenders. McCain and foster will get min and shots- we will see how they are defensively. I don’t see many minutes for Blakes or Schutt

Flip is a good defender, just not a fantastic rim protector
Think he is decent, wouldn’t say good. But I’m hoping he improves next year. Will be interesting to see how his rehab goes. We want him to improve his strength and shooting for sure so I’m hoping he will be able to do that sooner than later.

So you think he will get more minutes than Proctor, Roach, McCain or Foster? If so, we will agree to disagree there.
Did I say that ? Personally for him I hope he gets some minutes. if not he can always hit the portal! For everyone always talking about OAD it seems once we get high end recruits the players that stick around they could careless if they leave.

Last edited:
I’m not so sure. We have plenty of defenders. McCain and foster will get min and shots- we will see how they are defensively. I don’t see many minutes for Blakes or Schutt
This is why I’m not against either if they leave and transfer . So who are the plenty defenders if we need to see how Foster and McCain are defensively ? I know scouting reports said McCain has improved on that side of the ball. I know we have Mitchell and Proctor who defend well. Roach is decent, Flips ok . Don’t know about Stewart or Powers . Young would be the same as flip against athletic front court players simply ok . Blakes we know can defend on the ball . Haven’t seen enough of Schutt or Reeves although I do think Reeves could be a good defender .

Reactions: jamsession3
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT