ADVERTISEMENT

Vernon Carey announcement

Welcome aboard, Vernon!

I just have to ask, but @skysdad, are you now running a 'Pay the Recruit' scam like the 'Pay the Ref' scam? I'm not judging....just curious.

Yeah dj you are on it. It started at CTC in 2017 at The Skillet Restaurant on Duke's campus. I was there wit Show and a couple of his friends. There at the table next to us sat Zion, his parents, Nolan, Coach Capel and a couple of other people. I looked at Show and said "we gotta have him." Show said what ever it takes and pulled out a roll of cash that I couldn't even jump over. He gave it to me and I walked up behind Zion's dad and said " I hope you guys enjoy the night." I dropped the cash into Mr. Williamson's lap without the coaches seeing it and went back to my table. I sat there a while and went to get my water refilled. They don't have soft drinks at The Skillet. As I went by Zion's dad gave me the thumbs up and ion gave me the wink. I took that as a silent verbal and you guys know the rest. As for getting Vernon that's my secret. Don't want too many people knowing how it's done. Please, please don't let this go any further than this thread. I would hate for the wrong fan bases to know of this. :);):D:rolleyes:OFC

Last edited:
Yeah dj you are on it. It started at CTC in 2017 at The Skillet Restaurant on Duke's campus. I was there wit Show and a couple of his friends. There at the table next to us sat Zion, his parents, Nolan, Coach Capel and a couple of other people. I looked at Show and said "we gotta have him." Show said what ever it takes and pulled out a roll of cash that I couldn't even jump over. He gave it to me and I walked up behind Zion's dad and said " I hope you guys enjoy the night." I dropped the cash into Mr. Williamson's lap without the coaches seeing it and went back to my table. I sat there a while and went to get my water refilled. They don't have soft drinks at The Skillet. As I went by Zion's dad gave me the thumbs up and ion gave me the wink. I took that as a silent verbal and you guys know the rest. As for getting Vernon that's my secret. Don't want too many people knowing how it's done. Please, please don't let this go any further than this thread. I would hate for the wrong fan bases to know of this. :);):D:rolleyes:OFC

It's the last time I'll bring it up....I promise.

Imo next year will be.
1. Stones/boogie/goldwire
2. Wendell/aoc
3. White/baker
4. Hurt/javin/jrob
5. Vern/bolden

Jones ain’t coming back. I didn’t think he would be one and done but after watching him and talking with my friends who scout for the jazz and Rockets he is a lock to go first round

Imo next year will be.
1. Stones/boogie/goldwire
2. Wendell/aoc
3. White/baker
4. Hurt/javin/jrob
5. Vern/bolden

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
NBAdraft.net updated their mock as of 12/01/18 and currently have Tre going 30th.
Before this update he wasn't listed...

I found interesting what the commentators last night were talking about.....Tre grew up a Duke fan, when he was 13 years old and K was visiting Tyus, K found Tre's room was decorated in all Duke stuff.
Tyus was neutral, Tre was ALWAYS a Dukie.
I understand when millions of dollars are at play, the fact that Tre was a Duke fan as a kid probably shouldn't matter much....but it can't hurt our chances of him returning either.

His defense is much better than his brother. I too think he will be a lock for the first round and certainly will be gone. I see a lot of Chris Paul in his game.

I say K shouldn’t retire, but when that sad day comes that he passes away, that no one is told of it. Then we’ll just get the assistants to walk him out like those two from “Weekend at Bernie’s” did.

Long live the Goat.

That sounds like a plan, Mac.;) And here is Weekend at K's.
To anyone that thinks I want to see K die, or that it's not finny, or that I'm an A-hole...well...crutin' must go on..

ssL8c08.jpg

If you like it, click on the pic, it's actually quite huge...a poster that I made a few changes to.

OFC

Last edited:
Tre is gone. Just gone. I wish it wasn’t true... I might like him the most of our OADs... but I think he is gone.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Tre is gone. Just gone. I wish it wasn’t true... I might like him the most of our OADs... but I think he is gone.

Agree, Tre is gone. He’s not just the most important player behind RJ/Zion, but he’s the best player behind those 2 guys. IMO, there’s a better chance Reddish stays than Tre to improve his draft status.

Agree, Tre is gone. He’s not just the most important player behind RJ/Zion, but he’s the best player behind those 2 guys. IMO, there’s a better chance Reddish stays than Tre to improve his draft status.

Don’t agree, Cam is still equally as gone as Zion and RJ. His physical attributes alone lock him into the lottery.

As far as RIGHT NOW, yes a case can be made that Tre is a better basketball player than Cam.
However, NBA GM's could care less about the present, they care about the future. And Cam is ooooozzzzziing potential. He's long, and he's got a great stroke. Essentially those are the 2 most important commodities in the league right now. Cam just needs to put on some more muscle and he will be fine.

Tre seems like more of a finished product, a great one at that. But his ceiling is much much lower than Cam's.

Last edited:
I'm not going to lie. I had my doubts, especially when Duke missed out on the kid that went to Villanova, and the kid that signed with Tennessee.
Then it seems like some in the media were starting to question how Duke would do recruiting without Capel.
We also have heard statements made about Carey's motor a while back, but K thinks he'll fit in.

The man may be old, but he knows what he's doing, with or without Capel.

I'm not going to lie. I had my doubts, especially when Duke missed out on the kid that went to Villanova, and the kid that signed with Tennessee.
Then it seems like some in the media were starting to question how Duke would do recruiting without Capel.
We also have heard statements made about Carey's motor a while back, but K thinks he'll fit in.

The man may be old, but he knows what he's doing, with or without Capel.
Yea, he did pretty okay before Capel was there.

Welcome Mr. Carey!!! If one or more is a possibility, are we serious players for Anthony Edward's? Still wouldn't answer PG if Tre leaves, but it sounds like he is better than what we would have at the 2 spot. Sounds like a more athletic version of Trent Jr.

NBAdraft.net updated their mock as of 12/01/18 and currently have Tre going 30th.
Before this update he wasn't listed...

I found interesting what the commentators last night were talking about.....Tre grew up a Duke fan, when he was 13 years old and K was visiting Tyus, K found Tre's room was decorated in all Duke stuff.
Tyus was neutral, Tre was ALWAYS a Dukie.
I understand when millions of dollars are at play, the fact that Tre was a Duke fan as a kid probably shouldn't matter much....but it can't hurt our chances of him returning either.

Grayson loved Duke and he ended up playing four years for his favorite school. You also have to think Tyus will give Tre some advice on whether to jump early to the NBA or to raise his draft stock by spending another year or two at Duke.

Reactions: skysdad
Now that we've got a big dude what else do you think we need to add to this class? A stretch 4 type? People seem to be all over the place with regards to Stewart I've seen some say he wants to play with Vernon and others saying he wants to be the main big guy but i'd love to have him if it could work.

It’s exceedingly rare that a player stays because of his love for a school. That’s wishful, bordering on delusional, thinking.

Are any of the PG’s amongst the top 20 players in the 2019 class on our radar??

Next year’s class is shaping up to be in a similar mold (though not as talented) as last year’s that also lacked a good pg. Hard to win a chip without really solid PG play and leadership (Hurley, JWill, Scheyer and Stones say hi).

What is the word around the program concerning Baker? After practicing with the team for approximately 2 months, how has he been looking and what is being projected for him for next year?

Reactions: skysdad
What is the word around the program concerning Baker? After practicing with the team for approximately 2 months, how has he been looking and what is being projected for him for next year?
I really hope he is redshirted. It will be like adding an extra recruit to the 2019 class. We are gonna lose at least four guys this year and I feel he will stay until he graduates. On the other hand have any of you been putting that isolated camera on him during warm ups, bench shots, going to the locker room at the half and the end of the game to notice if he has any transfer body language. Does he stand and cheer when one of our players come off the court. I don't know if I can make any games this year at Cameron but if I do I think I will take my binoculars and watch him to see if I can see if there is anything going on. Maybe if some of you go to a game you can check it out?;)
OFC

Reactions: youngman42
Grayson loved Duke and he ended up playing four years for his favorite school. You also have to think Tyus will give Tre some advice on whether to jump early to the NBA or to raise his draft stock by spending another year or two at Duke.

Think the worry for guys like Tre who love Duke and may normally stay is that you’ve got a case study in Grayson who many could argue stayed to long. Should’ve left after his Sophomore year.

Think the worry for guys like Tre who love Duke and may normally stay is that you’ve got a case study in Grayson who many could argue stayed to long. Should’ve left after his Sophomore year.

Should’ve according to who? Not him so it doesn’t matter. To each their own let them make the choice

He was drafted 21 in round 1. There are a million more cases of guys leaving school to early and not being drafted

Reactions: ceilo77
Grayson did just get sent down to the G-League, he is still collecting the first round money though.

I’m glad he stayed 4 years, however if he left after his sophomore year he’d have around $5 million dollars more in career earnings. And would be 2 years closer to an 8 figure contract.

Reactions: youngman42
He was drafted 21 in round 1. There are a million more cases of guys leaving school to early and not being drafted

Think there is one kid who went to Duke over the last 7-10 years who did that and it was Duval. So you’ve got one guy who either left too early or probably just came to the wrong school because just didn’t see him becoming a star PG at Duke with another year or two. He just didn’t fit Duke’s system or didn’t try to fit Duke’s system. The above days are also coming to an end with the new NCAA rules.

I peaked through my binoculars at Baker on tv the other day while taking a sh!t and he’s defiantly not happy and transferring. I saw it in his eyes. I saw it in his eyebrows being angry looking. I saw it when he didn’t clap from a Zion dunk. I saw him not talking to anyone on the bench at one point. He’s gone!!... I'll put my glasses on next time so I can see and keep you posted on the transfer body language....

Last edited:
I peaked through my binoculars at Baker on tv the other day while taking a sh!t and he’s defiantly not happy and transferring. I saw it in his eyes. I saw it in his eyebrows being angry looking. I saw it when he didn’t clap from a Zion dunk. I saw him not talking to anyone on the bench at one point. He’s gone!!... I'll put my glasses on next time so I can see and keep you posted...
Personally,i usually read a magazine...........

Reactions: TheDude1
Grayson did just get sent down to the G-League, he is still collecting the first round money though.

I’m glad he stayed 4 years, however if he left after his sophomore year he’d have around $5 million dollars more in career earnings. And would be 2 years closer to an 8 figure contract.

These are certainly facts. Ten years ago I would have argued it is always a dumb decision to not cash in early when we're talking millions.

At this point in my life, I know my happiness and the happiness of my family would not be any different if I had made 10 million dollars at 20 years old vs. 22 years old. Even if I cost myself 20-30 million and only ended up making 15 as opposed to 45 million, I don't think it would really change anything for me. I'd still have all the things that make a difference: financial freedom, a healthy family, access to nature/travel and great friends. Budweisers and laughs don't cost much. Some other things that are priceless: 4 years straight at Duke as a young man with Coach K in his final run, earning my jersey immortalized in the best venue and the best pure basketball program in the world, and a world class education at the right time for learning. A bigger house, a nicer car and a giant pile of money are nice but pale in comparison to real happiness and peace of mind. The Duke experience may just mean that much to Grayson. Will Luke Kennard be happier than Grayson?

I think it’s probally certain all of us (Duke fans) would stay 4 years :)

Stay 4 years? Not me! I was one and done all the way...before it was cool.
I haven't shared this before, but I was being recruited pretty heavily by Duke, Ky, Kansas, and UNC back in the 80's. I blew my knee out and lost all my offers, but while in rehab, I met tbis lady and we got married. Still with her today......she's pretty awesome except for a Pittsburg Steelers tattoo on her butt......but what ya gonna do, right??.......oh, and her family is filthy rich and I am a kept man.....it's all good

TmmonAU.jpg

Welcome aboard, Vernon!

I just have to ask, but @skysdad, are you now running a 'Pay the Recruit' scam like the 'Pay the Ref' scam? I'm not judging....just curious.
Well now that our bag man capel is gone and he was the only reason we were getting players it’s obvious that Sky is picking up the slack.

Sky doesn’t have Venmo bc he’s well, old, so western union him some money to help him out in his effort.

Stay 4 years? Not me! I was one and done all the way...before it was cool.
I haven't shared this before, but I was being recruited pretty heavily by Duke, Ky, Kansas, and UNC back in the 80's. I blew my knee out and lost all my offers, but while in rehab, I met tbis lady and we got married. Still with her today......she's pretty awesome except for a Pittsburg Steelers tattoo on her butt......but what ya gonna do, right??.......oh, and her family is filthy rich and I am a kept man.....it's all good

TmmonAU.jpg
I have no idea what to say lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT