ADVERTISEMENT

The off-season greatest hits- Minutes per game thread

Question: How often do you actually need a true center in today's game?
I’d say less than 50% of games do you actually need a true bruising 5. Against most teams, height/length/athleticism is fine, Flip for example can get away with playing the 5 against most teams. UNC for example though, he could not.

But if you want to win 6 in a row in March. You need to have a trustworthy big who can help your team get stops and get rebounds IMO.

Purdue comes to mind. We needed Lively against Bacot. If Mitchell could add 15 pounds he could help down low at PF.
Purdue flamed out with their big so what did they accomplish with a true center ? Didn’t Bacot score high the first game ? Not bashing but your saying we don’t win either game against them without lively ? I get he had eight blocks one game but they didn’t come from Blocking Bacot .

Reactions: Fourteen44
Question: How often do you actually need a true center in today's game?
The Joker just showed you on Monday night. The problem is coaching staffs, scouts and teams have become impatient. Very few 6'9 and above players are developed at 19, 20 years old for today's game. Oak had the total package except 'discipline and will' to play the NBA game. If the discipline stuck, he would still be in the league.

Last edited:
Agreed. Poor kid is passively crapped on here by some, but I anticipate him turning it on this year.
Many of us crap on the kid because we didn't see him and his ranking. Shame on us! We were patient with Marshall because of his brothers, Oak and Obi. In reality, if he did not have those guys ahead of him he would've player year two like Reeves.

The Joker just showed you on Monday night. The problem is coach staffs, scouts and teams have become inpatient. Very few 6'9 above players are developed at 19, 20 years old for today's game. Oak had the total package except discipline and will to play the NBA game. If the discipline stuck, he would still be in the league.
Not sure I’d classify Joker as a “true center.”

Many of us crap on the kid because we didn't see him and his ranking. Shame on us! We were patient with Marshall because of his brothers, Oak and Obi. In reality, if he did not have those guys ahead of him he would've player year two like Reeves.
If MP3 was any decent in 2014 that team had a chance to do special things. The missing piece was at the 5 and there was no one in front of him. So I don’t agree with the comparison personally.

Not sure I’d classify Joker as a “true center.”
I get your point and resistance to the 'traditional center', but when his jumper does not fall, when the three pointer ain't there, and when he is slow with the dribble; he goes to the post or high post and scores like a center.

Reactions: sheyduke
I get your point and resistance to the 'traditional center', but when his jumper does not fall, when the three pointer ain't there, and when he is slow with the dribble; he goes to the post or high post and scores like a center.
He’s a the prototype modern NBA center . More of a hybrid 4/5 lol. He also had to adjust his first couple of years in the league .

Reactions: jamsession3
He’s a the prototype modern NBA center . More of a hybrid 4/5 lol. He also had to adjust his first couple of years in the league .
That's called 'getting in shape'. Remember, Denver had a luxury, Joker and Norkic years ago. They settled with Joker, and sent Norkic to Portland.

Nobody craps on Reeves. There is nothing wrong with having a lack of confidence in a player. Confidence is earned, whether through their play, accomplishments and accolades before arriving to Duke or while at Duke. There have been many players to earn confidence as well as lose it.

Yeah, Edwards would be nice, but I have a feeling he might have the same issues the Udeh did

Nobody craps on Reeves. There is nothing wrong with having a lack of confidence in a player. Confidence is earned, whether through their play, accomplishments and accolades before arriving to Duke or while at Duke. There have been many players to earn confidence as well as lose it.
Yea he’s been crapped on here by some. Interesting you can lack confidence in a player like Reeves yet have high confidence in a player who’s either never played one minute of college ball OR played in a high level conference like the ACC.

Yea he’s been crapped on here by some. Interesting you can lack confidence in a player like Reeves yet have high confidence in a player who’s either never played one minute of college ball OR played in a high level conference like the ACC.
In my opinion there is nothing interesting about it. It’s subjective. I had pretty high confidence in Kyrie Irving BEFORE his arrival to Duke. Jordan Goldwire, not so much. Now in my opinion, that is probably going to make sense to most people.

In terms of the high level conference thing, i think that is a good point, although sometimes there may be some indications, such as the referenced player’s performance against schools from a high level conference like the ACC or what NBA scouts think about said player.

Reactions: DanTheDukeFan1982II
In my opinion there is nothing interesting about it. It’s subjective. I had pretty high confidence in Kyrie Irving BEFORE his arrival to Duke. Jordan Goldwire, not so much. Now in my opinion, that is probably going to make sense to most people.

In terms of the high level conference thing, i think that is a good point, although sometimes there may be some indications, such as the referenced player’s performance against schools from a high level conference like the ACC or what NBA scouts think about said player.
Kyrie Irving is a once in a decade player, not sure that reference applies here lol.

Some people blindly take a low- or mid-major players stats against high-major teams, not realizing that sometimes those stats are coming mostly when the high-major team is playing second and third string guys. Not always, but it happens more than we think.

Still got something stuck up your butt I see. I’ve never had a problem with you I would just love you to acknowledge you were wrong
Remind me: what was I wrong about? Seriously, I don't remember our beef. I'll be glad to admit it if I know what it was. Peace.
OFC

Don't know. I missed it too.
OFC
“Well played indeed, Pisgah. I suspect you started this as a joke at my expense.
But the real joke is that you will get enough traffic to threaten the redneck power grid.
Have fun in the circle, boys. May the loser enjoy the bread.
See you at next year's Portal discussion.
OFC”

“Well played indeed, Pisgah. I suspect you started this as a joke at my expense.
But the real joke is that you will get enough traffic to threaten the redneck power grid.
Have fun in the circle, boys. May the loser enjoy the bread.
See you at next year's Portal discussion.
OFC”
Oh. June 8th. Can we let it go, Pis? Move on? Please?
OFC

Reactions: pisgah101
I sure love the depth of this upcoming season’s Duke team.

PG - Proctor/Roach/Blakes/Foster
SG - Roach/Proctor/Blakes/Schutt/McCain/Foster
SF - Mitchell/McCain/Power
PF - Flip/Mitchell/Young/Stewart/Power
C - Young/Reeves/Flip/Stewart

Great opportunity for all 12 guys to prove themselves throughout the non conference schedule to see how the minutes will be distributed during conference and beyond. The practices should be very competitive between these 12.

I sure love the depth of this upcoming season’s Duke team.

PG - Proctor/Roach/Blakes/Foster
SG - Roach/Proctor/Blakes/Schutt/McCain/Foster
SF - Mitchell/McCain/Power
PF - Flip/Mitchell/Young/Stewart/Power
C - Young/Reeves/Flip/Stewart

Great opportunity for all 12 guys to prove themselves throughout the non conference schedule to see how the minutes will be distributed during conference and beyond. The practices should be very competitive between these 12.
Agree about the competitiveness but certainly not the order you have listed haha. Not sure if you were just listing all the players or that was your order of how they’d be utilized.

Nope timo, I was just listing players which could fill in at each position if called upon. Not necessarily what order they’ll be used at said positions.

Reactions: timo0402
I hope Young gets his first half the season mojo back. He had 20 and 10 against BC. Lively never put up numbers like that. 15 to 20 minutes of that would go a long way.

Reactions: jamsession3
I'm loving what I see from Ryan Young in their summer practice videos, I know these aren't always truthful and summer reports should be taken with a grain of salt, but he seems more athletic and moving more fluidly in these practices. If he really has improved his athleticism and can provide us with a very solid 20 mins a game, then I will be more than happy. Give Reeves some minutes here and there, maybe some minutes for Stewart, and Flip can play the rest.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT